Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st April 2011, 07:21   #1  |  Link
JimmyTheSaint

a dummy asks: how to set file size?

I'm one of those occasional users who doesn't fully understand Gordian Knot, but by tweaking a few of the defaults I've always been able to get a result that's usable for me. One problem I can't figure out is how to limit the file size of the final product. For example, I have 5 vob files totalling to about 4.3GB. Under the "Bitrate" tab, I set Average Bitrate higher and lower (it's now 3000), and the amount in the Total File Size box changes accordingly. For my current project, however, no matter how I set Average Bitrate, the final avi file is 6.6GB. Is this a desired result? I mean, if the original is 4.3GB, then a 6.6GB avi must be wasting a lot of space, right?

In the past, if I recall correctly, tweaking Average Bitrate was the way I controlled the file size, but I must be misunderstanding something that I've been unable to find using site search. On the Resolution tab, it says width=736, height=544. Any suggestions that a dummy can understand?
JimmyTheSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 19:39   #2  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

You may just have the wrong (or too new) codec installed. Gordian Knot will only work properly with VfW builds, and the latest x264 or Xvid will often cause over- or undersized output.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 02:54   #3  |  Link
JimmyTheSaint

Thanks for the hint. After researching around (starting with the string "VfW"), I see half the links google found lead back to doom9's web site. It's still too complicated for me, but I'm going to try RipBot to make an mkv/x264 version.

My only need is that sometimes I can only get DVD versions of stuff, so a few times a year I need to be able to convert VOB's.
JimmyTheSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 21:51   #4  |  Link
netmask

Why not use AutoGK instead of the full Gordian Knot. You can preset the file size in AutoGK
BeyonWiz PVR T3 & V2 (Enigma2 clone)
Chromecast
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 7 Ultimate
QNAP NAS TS851
netmask is offline   Reply With Quote