Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 9th June 2002, 10:08   #221  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

all the credit should go to dext, as he's responsible for all the registry and installation scripts

cheers
avih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2002, 11:15   #222  |  Link
Oletros

About the GUI, it doesn't makes the image, it launches de dos window and says Image created but actually it doesn't make nothing.
I don't know if could it be because the name of the moviw has spaces, but I deleted them and nothing happens.

any idea?

Thanks
Oletros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2002, 13:26   #223  |  Link
DeXT

Yes there is a bug in the way ubik29's GUI generates the command line, it should enclose any path or file name containing spaces between quotes, but it doesn't do so. This is needed for both the input files and the output image name/path.

As an example the GUI generates the following command line:

mode2cdmaker -m c:\my movies\movie file.avi -o d:\output image\image

While it should do the following:

mode2cdmaker -m "c:\my movies\movie file.avi" -o "d:\output image\image"

So to make it to work you have to add files that do not contain spaces neither in the name or the directory where they lay, and you have to click on the "..." button near "Save image to" to select an output image path/name without spaces, too. Once you do this it will work like a charm.

I'll have to report this to ubik29 so he can fix this small bug.
DeXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2002, 14:18   #224  |  Link
Oletros

Thanks for the answer DeXT, I tryed and everything worked fine.
Oletros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2002, 01:12   #225  |  Link
kxy

Another suggestion for ubik29 for his gui, make view command copy and pastable.
kxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2002, 13:57   #226  |  Link
arty_sin

Just one other thought. I normally prefer to use DivX Player 2.0 alpha to play my
DivX avis. As far as I can tell this doesn't use the DirectShow filters, but includes
the necessary decoders/filters in its' own code. Thus it cannot use the RIFF/CDXA
filters presented on this page. This is a pity because, at least on my system it
gives a better picture. This is particularly true in low light scenes, and is most
easily seen in the credits where bitrates are lower too. WMP, Sasami and BSPlayer
all show the same artefacts, and all seem to use DirectShow. What I see is
'contour lines' around the changes in shade, or 'paint runs' down from the titles,
and I don't get these effects with DivX Player 2.0 alpha. I am using a 1.33 gig
Athlon and NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS with 32 meg of ram. The system has nearly a gig
of RAM.

Any chance of a patch to the DivX Player Any ideas why it seems to perform better
arty_sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2002, 22:25   #227  |  Link
DeXT

Ubik29 did a quick fix and sent to me a new GUI version which solves the paths-containing-spaces bug, I uploaded it to my page but for some stupid reason my ISP do not want to update its cache from several days ago. I found that writing the full adress including the html file gives the actual page so if you want to view the updated page please go to the following link:

http://webs.ono.com/de_xt/index.html

I also set up a mirror in Geocities since I'm tired of all these problems with my ISP, the page above contains a single frame pointing to the Geocities mirror. Hope this solves the problems once for all.

BTW I've attached the new GUI here too in case you have any troubles downloading it. Hope you like it.

@arty_sin: well unfortunately there's nothing we can do about this, only DirectShow-aware tools are compatible with the format right now and if these guys have chosen not to use DS (I guess they have a really good reason to do it this way) then this player cannot be used for XCD, sorry. Patching it would be too complicated and not worth the pain I'm afraid.
Old 10th June 2002, 23:13   #228  |  Link
jurij

HEy you all can you keep us updated to the status of mode2cdbackup tool or whatever the program is called?
how much is left to release it?
Great, and thanx you all!
jurij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2002, 01:28   #229  |  Link
DeXT

Well the new features which will be ready for the next release are: subdir support for Form2 files (this needed a lot of changes), keep original Form2 file extension in the file name (like in Nah's GUI) and wildcards support. I've added/deleted some stuff while doing tests and before releasing I would like to re-add the alternate way of adding subdirectories (i.e. ending with a slash).

The last days I was not able to do a lot of work on the tool because I wanted to update my old project (cdirip/cdi2nero) to support DJ4 images, since I received some requests about it. But yesterday I finished it so today I've been working on this, did some tests, fixed bugs etc. I want to release a rock-solid tool because CD imaging is a major task and you don't want your files to be corrupted or somewhat when burning to the CD, right? This is why I only release fully tested code and not daily builds. This also gives some time to the GUI authors to keep in sync with the current version.

BTW I found out something, I was trying the wildcard stuff done by Martin (which was compiled using MSVC++) and it behaved strangely... then I found out it was due to the MinGW/GCC runtime which does all the wildcard expansion for me... so I just had to add a small piece of code to detect and discard directories, and it's working out of the box! So it's a pity I finally won't use Martin's code, but with GCC it's simply not needed (in fact I cannot use it unless I disable the wildcard expansion and I don't know how to do it).

Last edited by DeXT; 11th June 2002 at 01:31.
Old 11th June 2002, 02:41   #230  |  Link
TheXung

but what about the status of the backup tool? Right now it seems that XCD isn't useful for making any permanent burns because there isn't a way to backup the headers. The impression on this thread is that the tool is nearly finished for at least the ogg format, but it has been a couple weeks since we have heard anything. And if it is a matter of testing for compatibility, then releasing it would allow for the whole of the internet to be the testing playground.

If a status update is not possible, then is it at least possible to tell us how much the space the secure backup would take? whether it would be a fixed size or if it has to be a percentage of the filesize or number of frames? Basically I've found myself delaying dozens of rips because I don't know how much space afterwards I will have to work with.
TheXung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2002, 08:05   #231  |  Link
nah
RV9 Convaincu !

Hi,

Cool, the new GUI is simple and quick. Mine is little complex
Thanks DeXT to add the form2 file extension
And as TheXung said, hope that the header backup doesn't take too much space. I've bought new HDD to store my 800Mb movies
And,yeah, give these coders time to do the job ...
Old 11th June 2002, 08:22   #232  |  Link
Koepi

Avih and DeXT should have my latest backupcreator version.
It works for ogg and shouldn't be problematic with future spec versions since the idea was to store the first 2kb or so of any stream in a backup header - from an ogg we store the first 64kb...

But it's not good to release this as ogg-only since this would be not nice to all the MCF people out there. And they made MCF backup really hard to understand - i still don't know how their code works, it's done somewhat recursive and made for another bakup system...

I still need to know what to backup from an avi since I didn't find too much useful info... nothing about indexes at the end of the file and so on, only some header stuff which is within the first few hundreds bytes (up to a few kbyte)...

Regards,
Koepi
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2002, 08:53   #233  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

i have koepi's latest backup creator. however i'm too busy with rl problems atm. i don't forget xcd. and it WILL make progress. it's a promise. i'm doing my best to get back working on it again asap.

cheers
avi.
Old 11th June 2002, 10:56   #234  |  Link
ChristianHJW

Quote:
Originally posted by Koepi
But it's not good to release this as ogg-only since this would be not nice to all the MCF people out there. And they made MCF backup really hard to understand - i still don't know how their code works, it's done somewhat recursive and made for another bakup system...
koepi, thank you very much for your will to help MCF here, but i dont think you can wait with releasing your tool until MCF is ready. We just started a very interesting discussion with the people from mplayer dev team about a cooperation.

These guys are extremely skilled ( they reverse engineered Tobias' ogm fornat to be able to play it on Linux ) and we are getting a lot of precious input from them on MCF and how to make sure its best x-platform compatible ( there is a 1st alpha of mplayer running on MacOS ), so it may take a little while longer until MCF hits the daylight.

Thanks again for your offer to wait with XCD release for Ogg, but i assume you just give it to the community as soon as you feel its ready for that. MCF will be used anyways if its better than other formats, and we are convinced it will be the best A/V format in the end.

BTW : mplayer people set up a new mailing list for mcf cooperation :

mcf-mplayer-coop@mplayerhq.hu

If you'd like to subscribe goto : http://mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/mcf-mplayer-coop

So, if we succeed in convincing the guys MCF is good, at least we have the Linux users on our side we hope !
Old 11th June 2002, 14:33   #235  |  Link
TheXung

Ahh, so it only takes 64kb more space. Thanks a bunch.
TheXung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2002, 16:35   #236  |  Link
raistlin2k

BTW, anybody knows something about tobias himself?

Because besides the XCD, OGM has a little problem, it can't use post-gain asserted by besweet or any other tool.

Does someone know if TObias will add this, and when?

Or is it possible for the guys of mplayer to do this for windows user and linux users as well?

Raist
Old 11th June 2002, 18:21   #237  |  Link
jurij

@koepi:
quote "But it's not good to release this as ogg-only since this would be not nice to all the MCF people out there"

I believe that a beta is a beta so why do we all have to wait for the mcf part to be complete while many of us are ogg and do not care for the moment about mcf?
I don't think that it would be an offence for the mdf people, we wouldn't care if you could have released the mdf beta first!
And why you don't care for the avi people also then?
I just don't get the point why if the ogg part is complete to come out as ogg-beta! it is not such a big deal, we won't hurt mcf people feelings i think.

Don't you all agree with me???
Please everyone, reply )
jurij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2002, 18:52   #238  |  Link
kxy

I am with ChristianHJW and jurij on this. Please give it to the community as soon as you feel its ready, and have another release when mcf is ready.
Old 11th June 2002, 20:07   #239  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

releasing the backup creator without the filter that can read the backups (and the testing that everything's working as expected and no further modifications has to be made to the backup creator/filter) is not a wise decision imo. and since i was the one that wrote the core/parser filter code, and right now it's a bit hard for me to find the time to get back to it again, i'm the one that's causing the delay. sorry. as i said, i'm doing my best to get back working on the filter/core asap.

thanx for your understanding
avi
Old 11th June 2002, 20:27   #240  |  Link
kxy

avih,

I jumped with the mob without looking at the whole situation. I apologize. Please take your time to work on the filter. You, Dext and Koepi have already done an amazing job.