Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 24th June 2008, 00:22   #1  |  Link
olikl

Upscaling h.264 1440x1080 files / correcting the AR

Hi,
my PS3 seems to have problems playing back 1440x1080 h264 files (muxed in m2ts stream together with an ac3) in the correct aspect ratio. I tried nearly EVERY option in h264info to get the right AR. Setting the AR to 16:9 brings pixelating, setting the resolution to 1920x1080 bring an unplayable files. All possible combinations between those options and 4.1/5.1 etc. do not work either. I could simply set the PS3 to "Display Fullscreen", but I do not want to because I am a bit too perfectionistic
So, coming to the point: What is the best way to scale 1440x1080 up to 1920x1080? The files are already deinterlaced. Is there any good filter for VDMod out? I prefer VDMod as I am used to it for a long time.
Can the scaling quality of a good filter be compared to the scaling quality of a PC/PS3 or whatever? I would imagine that scaling up with VDMod is way better as it takes many hours for a process that the PS3 has to do "on-the-fly". Am I right with this?

Thank you very much,
Oli
olikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 15:23   #2  |  Link
lexor

You don't need to scale, you just need to add borders. If you don't have to use vdub and can use avisynth instead, just do:

DirectShowSource("yourfile")
AddBorders(240,0,240,0)

Vdub might have a similar filter, I don't know much about that though. At any rate, this sort of stuff is more along the AviSynth subforum, you should check it out it's a treasure trove of information (but don't cross post this topic there, mods will move this if they see fit)
lexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 17:38   #3  |  Link
Brother John
(schein)heilig

You need to signal a PAR (=SAR) of 4:3 or alternatively a DAR of 16:9. I'm not familiar with h264info, so judging from a screenshot: Setting »output aspect ratio« to »16:9« should be correct. Does the pixelating only happen on the PS3 or on the PC as well?

@lexor
1440x1080 files are usually anamorphic. Just adding borders very likely results in a distorted picture with »egg heads«. And you'd have to re-encode as well.

When lost in BeSweet's options, have a look at the Commandline Reference.
DVD nach MPEG-4 klappt nicht? Verzweifelt? Auf zum Encodingwissen!
Brother John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 18:42   #4  |  Link
lexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
@lexor
1440x1080 files are usually anamorphic. Just adding borders very likely results in a distorted picture with »egg heads«. And you'd have to re-encode as well.
Ah, since he mentioned vdub filters, I thought he wanted to re-encode. This is also the first time I hear about anamorphic 1440x1080, the ones I've ever encountered were actually 4:3 picture for HD.
lexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 17:45   #5  |  Link
olikl

Hi,
yes, they are anamorphic... Setting the AR to 16:9 in h264info brings pixelating on both PS3 and PC. I tried lanczos4 for resizing with avisynth, feeding the avs in VDub and encoding again. Encoding is running, I will tell you about the results!
Old 25th June 2008, 18:08   #6  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by olikl View Post
Hi,
yes, they are anamorphic... Setting the AR to 16:9 in h264info brings pixelating on both PS3 and PC. I tried lanczos4 for resizing with avisynth, feeding the avs in VDub and encoding again. Encoding is running, I will tell you about the results!
You should not have to re-encode... Just add the correct level of aspect ratio signalling. Which (as Brother John mentioned) is 4:3 (1.3333 as a decimal) not 16:9.

For example: 1440 x 1.3333 = 1920

Cheers
Old 26th June 2008, 00:30   #7  |  Link
olikl

But how should I get the PS3 to understand this other than by reencoding? I think that the pixelating comes from the PS3 trying to upscale the 4:3 picture to 16:9. lanczos4 should do a better job than the build-in upscaler of the PS3, doesn't it?
Old 26th June 2008, 02:04   #8  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Lanczos is probably "better" than what the PS3 uses, but re-encoding will kill things by comparison.

Try remuxing, and setting the AR there. Hopefully the PS3 will understand and stop meddling!

~Misfit

Tags
1440, h264, ps3, upscaling, vdmod