Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 18th January 2019, 17:52   #1  |  Link
gispos

Avisynth 32bit and 64bit, Registry and AvsPmod

This is not a general reference, for others, it may work differently!

Do not entering a path in AvsPmod or registering it with AvsPmod.
Do not touch anything! This is not designed for multiple and mixed installations by Avisynth.
If I have time, I will change that to AvsPmod.

It is best to edit the registry entries manually with Regedit.
I am using Avs+ 32 and 64 bit. For me, the Regestry entries look like this.

PluginDir2_5 is the 32bit Avs+ plugin directory
PluginDir+ is for the Avs+ 64bit version

-------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Avisynth]
@=""
"PluginDir+"="D:\\Tools\\AviSynth\\plugins64+"

In the next Registry entry do not insert the x64 Avisynth plugin path!

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\AviSynth]
"PluginDir2_5"="D:\\Tools\\AviSynth\\plugins"

Search for and remove it. This was registered by AvsPmod
HKCU\Software\Avisynth

If a change of the plugin path was made with AvsPmod, problems can occur and the Options.dat of AvsPmod has to be deleted. This contains the wrong paths

You can copy the two registry entries and save them in a text file with the extension '.reg' and then double-click them.
But make sure there are no other entries in it and of course you have to adjust the paths.

I hope it helps some

Last edited by gispos; 23rd January 2019 at 09:53.
gispos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 18:19   #2  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by gispos View Post
This is not designed for multiple and mixed installations by Avisynth.
I don't see why not. AVSPmod32 will load a 32 bit avisynth.dll and the plugins referenced in the 32 bit branch of the registry. AVSPmod64 will load a 64 bit avisynth.dll and the plugins referenced in the 64 bit branch of the registry.

Quote:
It is best to edit the registry entries manually with Regedit.
Absolutely not! Don't tell users to mess with the registry.

There are two problems I can see with AVSPmod in this regard:

1. If Avisynth is not installed, it simply crashes. There's some urgent need for proper error handling.

2. When changing the plugin path in the options, AVSPmod changes it in the registry! That's insane because it screws up the Avisynth install. Just remove that option entirely. Alternatively, this could be a read-only option telling AVSPmod where (else) to look for plugs.

Last edited by Groucho2004; 18th January 2019 at 18:28.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 18:34   #3  |  Link
gispos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
I don't see why not. AVSPmod32 will load a 32 bit avisynth.dll and the plugins referenced in the 32 bit branch of the registry. AVSPmod64 will load a 64 bit avisynth.dll and the plugins referenced in the 64 bit branch of the registry.
You do not have to break my sentences.
I was referring to the Regestry changes from AvsPmod!

Quote:
2. When changing the plugin path in the options, AVSPmod changes it in the registry! That's insane because it screws up the Avisynth install.
That's exactly what I wrote.
Old 18th January 2019, 18:40   #4  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
You do not have to break my sentences.
I was referring to the Regestry changes from AvsPmod!
In that case can you explain what "This is not designed for multiple and mixed installations by Avisynth" has to do with AVSPmod screwing with the registry entries?

Quote:
That's exactly what I wrote.
Sorry but no, clearly not "exactly". Your English is quite difficult to decipher sometimes.

My point is - The advice you give in your post is just as terrible as AVSPmod messing with the registry. Inexperienced users should not fiddle with that.

Last edited by Groucho2004; 18th January 2019 at 18:46.
Old 19th January 2019, 17:03   #5  |  Link
gispos

Quote:
In that case can you explain what "This is not designed for multiple and mixed installations by Avisynth" has to do with AVSPmod screwing with the registry entries?

Sorry but no, clearly not "exactly". Your English is quite difficult to decipher sometimes...
Sorry if my english is not so good.
I would understand who you would write to me in German. Even if your German would be bad.

All I wanted to say is that you should not use the AvsPmod plugin paths.
With a single Avisynth installation there should not be any problems with the registry changes made by AvsPmod.
I did not try it. But I know that there are problems with multible installations.

I have read articles here in which some had problems with MP_Pipeline 32 and 64 bit dll to load. But nobody told them to not use tjhe AvsPmod plugin paths.
You did not say anything too. But now a lot of words about what?

And if wrong Regestry entries were made by AvsPmod, how do you get them removed?
I fumbled for over an hour to get my Avisynth installations back. And I prefer doing that "because I see what I do" manually. And do not make any other mistakes with any batch scripts.

I just wanted to help, and now this is eroding in words.
In this topic these are the last words of mine for you.

Last edited by gispos; 19th January 2019 at 17:25.
Old 19th January 2019, 18:28   #6  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
All I wanted to say is that you should not use the AvsPmod plugin paths.
Fair enough. Sadly, that's not what you did. You wrote a long post about manipulating the registry manually which is a bad idea, especially for novice users. All you had to do is write two sentences:

Do not edit plugin paths within Avspmod. If you did and you have problems, uninstall and re-install Avisynth.

Quote:
I fumbled for over an hour to get my Avisynth installations back.
Seriously? That should take no more than a minute, especially for a developer familiar with Avisynth.
Old 20th January 2019, 01:42   #7  |  Link
vdcrim

I can't say I see why you are so against giving the option of changing the autoload plugin directory. The location of this directory is the user's choice, AvsP merely gives a quicker way of changing it compared to editing it manually with regedit et al. It's a barely important feature, but I don't see how it's harmful. The user simply has to make sure the setting points to the actual path they want to use.

I just checked the code for that part and it doesn't look like there's anything wrong (UPDATE: see below). A small detail should be changed though. If the field is left blank, AvsP is then supposed to restore the path to default, that being the default value given in the AviSynth installer (btw gispos, your interpretation of what each Registry value means is wrong, check the link). The reset path for 64-bit is wrong, as currently it's the same as the 32-bit path.

Quote:
If Avisynth [64-bit] is not installed, [AvsPmod 64-bit] simply crashes
I just fixed it. I'll commit this change and the one mentioned above tomorrow.

UPDATE: turns out there's an issue after all, due to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE being shared between 32 and 64 bit applications. Will be fixed as well.

Last edited by vdcrim; 20th January 2019 at 19:02. Reason: new info
vdcrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 02:01   #8  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdcrim View Post
I can't say I see why you are so against giving the option of changing the autoload plugin directory. The location of this directory is the user's choice, AvsP merely gives a quicker way of changing it compared to editing it manually with regedit et al. It's a barely important feature, but I don't see how it's harmful. The user simply has to make sure the setting points to the actual path they want to use.
I don't know, I just think that this is another knob where a user who doesn't quite know what he's doing can screw up his Avisynth install. Anyway, to each his own.
Old 21st January 2019, 17:37   #9  |  Link
gispos

Quote:
Fair enough. Sadly, that's not what you did.
Do not entering a path in AvsPmod or registering it with AvsPmod.
Do not touch anything! This is not designed for multiple and mixed installations by Avisynth.

How can you misunderstand this? That's a mystery to me.

Quote:
You wrote a long post about manipulating the registry manually which is a bad idea, especially for novice users. All you had to do is write two sentences:
Do not edit plugin paths within Avspmod. If you did and you have problems, uninstall and re-install Avisynth.
Ok, but that should not be enough.
AvsP also enters the path named by vdcrim under HKCU, and this causes problems. The must be either completely removed or adjusted separately (64bit, 32bit).
And so I also wrote information about the registry.

I feel burned out with the AvsPmod programming at the moment and so I just gave information.

Quote:
Seriously? That should take no more than a minute, especially for a developer familiar with Avisynth.
That was before I got into coding AvsP. You are looking for mistakes. Right? Already from the beginning. That makes me sad.

Quote:
(btw gispos, your interpretation of what each Registry value means is wrong, check the link). The reset path for 64-bit is wrong, as currently it's the same as the 32-bit path.
With the paths you're right, I had simply not checked because it works for me.

Quote:
I just fixed it. I'll commit this change and the one mentioned above tomorrow.
UPDATE: turns out there's an issue after all, due to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE being shared between 32 and 64 bit applications. Will be fixed as well.
It is very nice that you have some time to work on AvsP. From you already a lot of passion and time has flowed into it.

PS: @vdcrim
Take a look at SetPaths(self). I've already removed that with HKCU.
But I am willing to remove the whole path stories.
Are there any problems I can not see yet.

Last edited by gispos; 21st January 2019 at 20:37.
Old 22nd January 2019, 19:31   #10  |  Link
vdcrim

gispos, I'm not sure what you're suggesting about SetPaths but it seems fine to me as it already is.

Notice that function is used to retrieve the AviSynth paths from the Registry, in order to use them for several auxiliary purposes, it doesn't have much relation to what has been discussed through this thread.
vdcrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 20:27   #11  |  Link
gispos

Quote:
gispos, I'm not sure what you're suggesting about SetPaths but it seems fine to me as it already is.

Notice that function is used to retrieve the AviSynth paths from the Registry, in order to use them for several auxiliary purposes, it doesn't have much relation to what has been discussed through this thread.
I've completely removed the read and write to the registry, even under 'SetPaths'. Because possibly the wrong Avisynth version was read from the registry. I'm currently testing.
Old 22nd January 2019, 21:40   #12  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Hi gispos, and many thanks for your work !
To help avoid collisions with multiple avisynth installations I would like to point to Groucho's work
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172124
Since that .bat handles switching between 7 Avisynth versions which can have their separate plugin folders
it may be considered a well working tool, maybe you can base your decisions on that.
BTW, small bug in AvsPmod 2.6.0.2: YUV pixel values can come out negative now, all 3 of them.