Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 2nd January 2002, 08:05   #1  |  Link
flalvare

NO YUY2 Format under Windows XP

Hi:

I have the following problem (windows XP, Athlon 1Ghz, 512 RAM, 13GB HD, Asus V7700 Deluxe, Detonator 23.11 & WDM 1.08): i am unable to select, in virtual dub, under custom format, the YUY2 option; it reports an error (video format not compatible, i think), and i can only select the UYVY format. I don't know exactly if because of this, when i capture an AVI file, the result is a HUGE file (~200MB/minute) and worst of that, the quality of the video suxx a lot (frames dropped, interlaced, etc, etc). I'm trying to make a svcd from VHS; the most strange think is that using PowerVCR to capture directly to MPEG, the outcome video is almost perfect... almost because i have to reencode in order to convert it to 480x480 (since i'm unable to capture with PowerVCR at 480x480 directly).

Any help will be apreciated.

Flavio.
flalvare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2002, 09:26   #2  |  Link
Cart

Exactly what capture settings and compression options are you using?

YUY2 is virtually identical to UYVY, so there's no need for concern.

If you're capturing full resolution (480 line) video, there probably will be interlacing artifacts. You can encode interlaced video to a SVCD, if that's what you're trying to do.

-Cart
http://www.geocities.com/lukesvideo/index.html
Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2002, 16:15   #3  |  Link
flalvare

O.K., so if UYVY is almost identical to YUY2 (and this is the major different setting from almost every guide to capture an AVI with Virtual Dub or other program), why my videos files are so HUGE?. Probably another setting, but i'm unable to conclude which one. The most strange think is that i can't select ANY of the "Data Format" (under "Set custom Video Format") other than UYVY. About the output video sucking, i'm almost sure that it's not a HDD/CPU/MEMORY issue since i can capture directly to MPEG2 without problems.

Any help?

Flavio.
flalvare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2002, 18:24   #4  |  Link
malacai

16bit

The same problem i have, the only conclution i have is UYVY is only at 16 bit!, im a newbie so i dont know if UYVY in w98 is 24bit, but if any one have a walktrough to this problem i would be greatful

/malle
Old 2nd January 2002, 20:05   #5  |  Link
Frisco

Maybe this can help.

I nearly have the same system as you (win2k and windows XP, Athlon 1Ghz, 256 RAM, 60GB HD, Asus V7700 Deluxe, Detonator 23.11 & WDM 1.08).

VirtualDub use Microsoft WDM (interface) and then the NVIDIA WDM driver, so it is slow. My capture whit VirtualDub is also bad (lot of frames dropped)

The program I use to capture is ‘iuVCR’ or ‘ATV2000’ (I thing iuVCR is the best). ‘iuVCR’ and ‘ATV2000’ (and PowerVCR) are true WDM-programs and is relay fast. I capture : Color format/compression UYVY, 720x576, 25 fps, video codes Huffyuv 2.1.1 (best quality) whit no frames dropped and CPU use is only 50 %. The Pixel Depth (In Adobe Premiere) is 24 bits color.
Frisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2002, 21:41   #6  |  Link
Cart

Frisco's advice sounds pretty good. Large file sizes are the result of a lack of video compression. Huffyuv, as he suggested, or an MJPEG codec can reduce the size. AVIs are not compressed by default like MPEG files.

And just so you know, both YUY2 and UYVY are 16-bit, YUV 4:2:2 formats. The quality of both is identical. The difference is the in the way the data is stored.
When Huffyuv uses YUY2/UYVY, it falsely reports 24-bits/pixel to avoid a bug in some versions of Premiere.

When you capture in RGB24, every capture card I've heard of internally generates a 16-bit YUV 4:2:2 image and upsamples it to RGB24. This process does not add any detail; it only increases the strain on your computer.

-Cart
Old 3rd January 2002, 00:12   #7  |  Link
malacai

No Framedrops

well i have an AMD TB1.4 and 256mb of ram, and i have no problems capturing in VD in UYVY->DivX UYVY->Huffyuv 2.1.1 UYVY->MJPEG no droped frames att all. 24bit or not 24bit, i did one cap in UYVY under XP and one RGB24 in w98, and i can see a big diference at the quality.

well my english realy suxx so i hope ya know what i mean!

/malle
Old 3rd January 2002, 20:13   #8  |  Link
Frisco

System setting

Hej malacai

I who like to du the same test as you (WinXX vs Windows XP/Win2k), if the capture quality is better under Windows98, I will go for Windows98. Cut you tell me you system setting for your capturing in Windows 98 and Windows XP :

- The capture program is VirtualDub
- You have a “Asus V7700 Deluxe” whit detonator 23.11 and WDM 1.08
install under Windows XP and 98 ?
- Caputre size
- FPS
- Codes
Frisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2002, 23:17   #9  |  Link
Cart

The difference in quality you see between UYVY and RGB24 could be caused be poor drivers, a problem with your YUV decoder, using poor video compression, or other incorrect settings. You should post as much information about your settings as possible, like Frisco suggested.

-Cart
Old 4th January 2002, 16:59   #10  |  Link
malacai

ok here we go :D

hey Frisco

SPEC
AMD TB1.4(266fsb)
MSI K7T Turbo @ 133
256mb Mosel @ 2/2/2
2*IBM 40gig (7200 rpm)
1*IBM 30gig (7200 rpm)

WinXP:

Nvidia 23.11
Nvidia WDM 1.08
VirtualDub (UYVY -> DivX4) "bitrate@500 Maximum Q@6 Minimum Q@2
this setup will give me a 16bit DivX4 file

Win98:

Asus 14.70 (dono the capture driver version)
VirtualDub (RGB24 -> DivX4) "bitrate@500 Maximum Q@6 Minimum Q@2
This setup will give me a 24bit DivX4 file

the quality is much better under 24bit, and the filesize is alot smaller? why i dono.

try it and u will se 4 your self!

only 1 thing, i wounder how i capture a 4:3 and makes it widescreen at correct aspects? i think its aspect neway, so the tex peple dont get small and fat?

sorry for my english, i know it realy suxx

/malle
Old 4th January 2002, 23:15   #11  |  Link
Cart

I don't think there is such a thing as a 24-bit DivX 4 file. Perhaps the DivX encoder doesn't like encoding directly from captured UYVY video. Have you tried capturing with Huffyuv and recompressing to DivX 4 later?

Quote:
only 1 thing, i wounder how i capture a 4:3 and makes it widescreen at correct aspects? i think its aspect neway, so the tex peple dont get small and fat?
I don't understand this question. Are you trying to convert a 4:3 video to widescreen?

-Cart

Last edited by Cart; 4th January 2002 at 23:19.
Old 5th January 2002, 01:56   #12  |  Link
malacai

yes

yes if i use Huffyuv and compress to divx i got an 24bit, but also in RGB24->divx4 i also got an 24bit

and yes is there a way to convert 4:3 to widescreen ?

/malle
Old 5th January 2002, 11:13   #13  |  Link
Cart

I'm pretty sure DivX 4 uses YUV format (perhaps YUV 4:1:1), so I don't know why you think it's RGB24. However, I suppose it doesn't matter if you can you RGB24 in Windows XP. Were you having a problem with that?

A 4:3 video is a 4:3 video. You can't add information that isn't there, so I don't know what you mean by 'converting 4:3 to widescreen'.

-Cart