Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 21st August 2007, 22:04   #1  |  Link
Wilbert

DVD-Audio decryption and conversion guide

As title It can be found here:

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/DVDAGuide

I hope you will like it, and i'm expecting your comments!
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 16:28   #2  |  Link
Zodraz

Very useful and interesting.

Just few notes:

- LPCM is not an abbreviation for Linear Pulse Compression Modification, but for Linear Pulse Code Modulation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LPCM)

- There is more ways to reproduce multichannel FLAC files, beside of the foobar (The KMPlayer, VLC...). AFAIK, the foobar is not the open source as it is stated.

- DigiOnAudio is not mentioned for MLP decoding.
Zodraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 07:09   #3  |  Link
mommyman

worth to be mentioned too:

- apparently dvdcpxm cannot decrypt encrypted VR content, although it can process MKB on CPRM protected media (DVD-RAM).

- DVDAExplorer won't extract MLP track properly if it is indexed. Only the first segment of such track will be processed.

- MLP to WAV converter is a feature of DigiOnAudio2 Professional.
mommyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 19:20   #4  |  Link
xkodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyman View Post
- DVDAExplorer won't extract MLP track properly if it is indexed. Only the first segment of such track will be processed.
i can confirm that, good example of such DVD-Audio disc is "Diana Krall - Love Scene", but i didn't know that such structure is called "indexed MLP track", thank you, it's good to know that.

however, it's not hard to write program that extracts indexed MLP tracks, i've made one to extract the MLPs from my "Diana Krall - Love Scene" DVD-Audio disc, but the sad thing is that my hdd failed and the source code was lost (no backup).

Quote:
- MLP to WAV converter is a feature of DigiOnAudio2 Professional.
again very good note, "DigiOnAudio2 Professional" is very fast and can write correct WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE headers for both stereo and multichannel files, so FLAC and other applications can recognize the resulted WAV files as with valid header.

@ mommyman

do you know something about the CCI bits (Copy Control Information)?

as far as i can see dvdcpxm set them to 0x00 and "DVDARipper 0.99f" set them to 0x04, but because i don't know the exact meaning of those bits, i don't know which is correct.

Last edited by xkodi; 27th August 2007 at 19:23.
xkodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 08:31   #5  |  Link
mommyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkodi View Post
i can confirm that, good example of such DVD-Audio disc is "Diana Krall - Love Scene", but i didn't know that such structure is called "indexed MLP track", thank you, it's good to know that.
I don't know the official name of this structure either

Quote:
do you know something about the CCI bits (Copy Control Information)?
See "3.3 Digital CCI Configuration" in http://www.4centity.com/data/licensi...DVD_Audio2.pdf
Difference between 0 and 4 should be in "Audio Quality Parameter": 0 for "00b", 4 for "10b". According to this spec 4 is the correct one: "When Audio Copy Permission is set to any state other than “10b” or “11b” (i.e. "00b" or "01b") the Audio Quality Parameter shall be set to “10b”."
mommyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 09:35   #6  |  Link
xkodi

Quote:
See "3.3 Digital CCI Configuration" in http://www.4centity.com/data/licensi...DVD_Audio2.pdf
Difference between 0 and 4 should be in "Audio Quality Parameter": 0 for "00b", 4 for "10b". According to this spec 4 is the correct one: "When Audio Copy Permission is set to any state other than “10b” or “11b” (i.e. "00b" or "01b") the Audio Quality Parameter shall be set to “10b”."
thank you!

but i'm completely puzzled now, because yesterday i made very simple test, using "Minnetonka discWelder CHROME" i've generated AOBs with all possible combinations of CCI options (that discWelder has in the CPPM settings) and then look at the headers with hex editor, here is the table of the CCI bits:

(the digits on the left are the binary representation of the byte that contains the CCI bits and on the right is the meaning, taken from the "Minnetonka discWelder CHROME" CPPM settings)

00 000 00 0 --> Copying Permitted without Restrictions

11 000 00 0 --> No Copying Permitted

10 000 00 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 1, Max Quality: 2 ch/48 kHz/16 bit
10 001 00 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 2, Max Quality: 2 ch/48 kHz/16 bit
10 010 00 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 4, Max Quality: 2 ch/48 kHz/16 bit
10 011 00 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 6, Max Quality: 2 ch/48 kHz/16 bit
10 100 00 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 8, Max Quality: 2 ch/48 kHz/16 bit
10 101 00 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 10, Max Quality: 2 ch/48 kHz/16 bit
10 111 00 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: Not Restricted, Max Quality: 2 ch/48 kHz/16 bit

10 000 01 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 1, Max Quality: 2 ch
10 001 01 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 2, Max Quality: 2 ch
10 010 01 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 4, Max Quality: 2 ch
10 011 01 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 6, Max Quality: 2 ch
10 100 01 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 8, Max Quality: 2 ch
10 101 01 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 10, Max Quality: 2 ch
10 111 01 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: Not Restricted, Max Quality: 2 ch

10 000 10 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 1, Max Quality: Not Restricted
10 001 10 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 2, Max Quality: Not Restricted
10 010 10 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 4, Max Quality: Not Restricted
10 011 10 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 6, Max Quality: Not Restricted
10 100 10 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 8, Max Quality: Not Restricted
10 101 10 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: 10, Max Quality: Not Restricted
10 111 10 0 --> Copying Permitted with Restrictions, Number of Copies: Not Restricted, Max Quality: Not Restricted

when i have time i will verify the discWelder results and what the document says for consistency ...

... but obviously when all restrictions are off in the discWelder, it sets 0x00 for CCI, which is in break with the document you pointed, so discWelder and dvdcpxm do the same thing - set the CCI bits to 0x00 and "DVDARipper 0.99f" do what the paper says and sets the CCI bits to 0x04 ...

so it is still an open question for me, maybe in practice 0x00 is treated exactly the same as 0x04, because maybe when the first too major bits of CCI bits are zero, all other bits are ignored by the player, but to remove any doubt, test with standalone DVD-Audio player is required, if when plays copy of DVD-Audio disc with CCI bits set to 0x00 the player says 2 ch/48 kHz/16 bit, then 0x00 is wrong, but if with both 0x00 and 0x04 it says for example 5.1 ch/96 kHz/24 bit, then both values are good.

Last edited by xkodi; 28th August 2007 at 09:38.
xkodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 21:06   #7  |  Link
RoyalScam

I've got a question...

All I've seen so far are instructions on how to rip and convert 5.1 channel DVD-A tracks to wav.

How would you rip and convert the stereo (2 channel) DVD-A tracks present on most DVD-A discs? That's all I really want to do, and I can't seem to apply the guide's steps to that task.
RoyalScam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 23:12   #8  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
How would you rip and convert the stereo (2 channel) DVD-A tracks present on most DVD-A discs? That's all I really want to do, and I can't seem to apply the guide's steps to that task.
Are you able to demux them with DVDAExplorer_a7.exe?
Old 11th September 2007, 16:58   #9  |  Link
RoyalScam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbert View Post
Are you able to demux them with DVDAExplorer_a7.exe?
I am able to rip the DVD-A Audio TS folder with DVDFabHDDecrypter. I can then open the IFO file with DVDAExplorer_a7, and see the stereo tracks in Title 2 (Title 1 is multi-channel on this disc).

When I select a track and try to extract it, the choice for "Convert to WAV" is greyed out and unselectable. I am able to extract it to a MLP file.

Incidentally, on the "Copy Control info" field of each track in DVDAExplorer_a7, some say "Copying: Freely", and some say "Copying Restricted 1 copy", and all are listed as limited to 16bit/48khz.

Last edited by RoyalScam; 11th September 2007 at 20:38.
Old 12th September 2007, 19:21   #10  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
When I select a track and try to extract it, the choice for "Convert to WAV" is greyed out and unselectable. I am able to extract it to a MLP file.
I don't get it completely. Those 5.1 tracks, are these also MLP? If so I guess you are using PPCMRipper to convert those (straight from the disc)?

You need some special (ie non-free) tools to convert MLP tracks, but i can't help you with that.
Old 12th September 2007, 23:22   #11  |  Link
RoyalScam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbert View Post
I don't get it completely. Those 5.1 tracks, are these also MLP? If so I guess you are using PPCMRipper to convert those (straight from the disc)?

You need some special (ie non-free) tools to convert MLP tracks, but i can't help you with that.
No...I'm not using PPCM Ripper, nor am I even touching the 5.1 tracks.

The steps I outlined above are exactly what I've done. When I select a stereo hi-rez track from within DVDAExplorer_a7 and choose "Extract", there is a pop up window with a greyed out choice to "Convert to WAV". So I hit "Extract" and I wind up with an extracted track on my hard drive with a ".mlp" extension.

???
Old 13th September 2007, 12:25   #12  |  Link
Zodraz

Your tracks are MLP encoded. If you select some track, you would see on main window Stream type - Packed PCM, and in Save As dialog under Save as type - Packed PCM File (*.mlp). You need to decode those MLP tracks to WAV with some another tool mentioned in this guide (or DigiOnAudio Pro which is not mentioned).
Zodraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2007, 19:26   #13  |  Link
ydobon
Mad Scientist

Thanks a lot for your guide, Wilbert. Much better than the old WinDVD/PPCMRipper method.
ydobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 15:05   #14  |  Link
carlmart
Carlos Martinez

This is an old topic, but I would like to learn how to use DigiOnAudio2 Professional to author DVD-Audio discs.

My idea is to author 24 bit/96KHz discs in DVD that I can play on any player. But the help on that program is in Chinese, which I don't read.

Any guides on how to use it?
carlmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 08:00   #15  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
This is an old topic, but I would like to learn how to use DigiOnAudio2 Professional to author DVD-Audio discs.

My idea is to author 24 bit/96KHz discs in DVD that I can play on any player. But the help on that program is in Chinese, which I don't read.

Any guides on how to use it?
Why don't you ask directly DigiOn for help, for the 999$ you paid for, you're entitled at least to tech support?

And it's not Chinese but Japanese.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 19:29   #16  |  Link
HJ69

DVD-Audio decryption and conversion guide Link correction

Change link for DVAGuide to: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/DVDAGuide

The link currently in first post of this thread is dead.
http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/DVDAGuide returns 404 not found.

HJ69 is offline   Reply With Quote