Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th May 2016, 16:53   #37861  |  Link
aufkrawall

SuperRes introduces ringing when it is in the source, especially with higher strength. You are right that it's not a problem with a strength of 1.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 17:05   #37862  |  Link
huhn

@aufkrawall

can you try super XBR without anti bloat?

the artefects kind of look like the same issue i have with super XBR AB with crisp edges.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 17:08   #37863  |  Link
aufkrawall

It seems to happen totally independent from the chosen upscaling algorithm, also with super-xbr or Jinc the ringing looks "aliased" with deringing + high SuperRes strength.
Old 10th May 2016, 17:31   #37864  |  Link
YxP

What a remarkable addition this deringing is. Ringing is my number one annoyance, much more so than mild banding or aliasing. Whatever leftovers you guys are talking about, they definitely are not as bad as ringing itself :P Great work!
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 17:39   #37865  |  Link
aufkrawall

Did you see my comparison above? The ringing in some areas of the image gets more distinct than without deringing because SuperRes with high strength reintroduces it in an aliased shape. Which is of course not the fault the deringing filter, but an unfortunate coincidence.
Old 10th May 2016, 17:44   #37866  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Why don't you try and find out?
If you can't judge the quality for yourself, then you might as well not bother, because you won't see a difference then either.
I don't see much difference, but I also don't see that much of a difference between most of madVR settings. The image quality improvement that I obviously see only comes when all high-quality settings are selected and utilized. Hell, we both know that most image/chrome upscaling/downscaling method comparisons shown here require zooming in on particular specific parts of images because its very hard, if not impossible, to see the difference at native resolution / "with a naked eye" so-to-speak.

I know there was a general consensus that Scale in Linear Light provided the best results for Catmull-Rom Image Downscaling method, but I do not know if the same applies to the SSIM 2D 100% Image Downscaling method. What is the general consensus - should I use Scale in Linear Light for SSIM 2D 100% downscaling.
Old 10th May 2016, 17:51   #37867  |  Link
YxP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Did you see my comparison above? The ringing in some areas of the image gets more distinct than without deringing because SuperRes with high strength reintroduces it in an aliased shape. Which is of course not the fault the deringing filter, but an unfortunate coincidence.
Yes I did see it and you are correct of course. I'm just so impressed at the moment that maybe I need some time to start paying attention to the leftovers, as you call them. Personally I only use SR@1 or 2 because more will make my GPU fan go nuts.
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 18:02   #37868  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Yes, as expected. The application doesn't seem to understand that there are 2 different ways to create a linear lut. IIRC it can even vary depending on OS and GPU. In any case, madVR supports both and from where I'm standing there's nothing wrong with what madVR does.
Ok. I have this basic understanding that all output from the OS is passed through the GPU LUT. If the LUT is linearized to unity, then all video data will be multiplied by 1 and the output will be unchanged by the LUT. In any other case, there will be floating point/ high bit depth values which the GPU will have to dither to the output bit depth.

Now it is interesting to learn that LUT can be set in two different ways and still remain linear. Could you please explain a bit how that works, if you don’t mind?

Quote:
Still waiting for RenderGuy2 to send me whatever he wanted to send me. I've put this on my to do list, but as I said, it'll be low priority.
Sure, thanks!

While we are at it, I will share some thoughts:

1. 3D DCP video is a frame sequential 48fps stream with alternate left eye and right eye frames for 24 fps content. If LAV video decoder just flags and sends the stereo frames in the same way as it does for MVC content, no special handling of 3D would be required in madVR (I believe).

2. Currently, the black bar detection algorithm doesn’t work for RGB content (and also YUV content, IIRC), so it wouldn’t work for XYZ as well without extra work on your side. However, you can use the “Y” of XYZ for black bar detection as you do for YCbCr content because “Y” in XYZ and YCbCr are very similar as both have lightness information.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 18:21   #37869  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
I know there was a general consensus that Scale in Linear Light provided the best results for Catmull-Rom Image Downscaling method, but I do not know if the same applies to the SSIM 2D 100% Image Downscaling method. What is the general consensus - should I use Scale in Linear Light for SSIM 2D 100% downscaling.
I don't think there is a difference in "quality". LL downscaling should maintain the original brightness of the unscaled image while gamma light is darker. So imho it makes sense to use LL when there is just downscaling happening (imho it doesn't even matter which downscaling algorithm is used, LL is always brighter and GL a bit less aliased).

However, SuperRes also makes the image even brighter (in GL more than in LL, that's a little confusing since it's the opposite way around compared to image scaling) and must be fed with image in GL when SuperRes itself also works in GL to avoid aliasing introduction (and fed with LL when it works in LL).
So, it should be best to define script profiles to achieve LL downscaling when there is no upscaling with SuperRes and to use GL downscaling when SuperRes in GL is used (it should be used in GL since probably most content is that way).
Old 10th May 2016, 19:06   #37870  |  Link
AngelGraves13

SuperRes at 1 is the best option in my opinion. Anything more than 1 starts causing its own issues with the image. 4 usually looks bad unless you have a super clean image, and even then I'd say 3 should be the limit on SuperRes.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 19:15   #37871  |  Link
aufkrawall

Really depends on the source and target device.
I hardly see any artifacts with 1080p -> WQHD Jinc AR SL + SR 4, except with broken sources or small or bad fonts (which would also look pixelated on a 24" 1080p display with 1080p source).
Old 10th May 2016, 19:16   #37872  |  Link
kalston

Can confirm the bug where image doubling triggers when reducing the window (my doubling is set to "only if scaling factor is 2.0 or higher").
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 20:12   #37873  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalston View Post
Can confirm the bug where image doubling triggers when reducing the window (my doubling is set to "only if scaling factor is 2.0 or higher").
Same here.
cork_OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 22:28   #37874  |  Link
har3inger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
SuperRes at 1 is the best option in my opinion. Anything more than 1 starts causing its own issues with the image. 4 usually looks bad unless you have a super clean image, and even then I'd say 3 should be the limit on SuperRes.
Have you tried SR 2? Don't use any of the checkboxes on SR, since those introduce artifacts.

I find 1 is subtle and almost universally good, but 2 is often better unless image is covered in compression artifacts. 3 is the same thing as 2, but with greater strength per pass (thus stronger effect, but also more haloing without more detail resolution) and should only be reserved for good quality sources of 720p or higher resolution. However, it's great for 720p->1080p. 4 starts costing an arm and a leg, so I don't run it and cannot comment on its qualities.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 22:37   #37875  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
I've not seen anybody else reporting this yet.

Do you have one madVR installation or multiple? Have you updated *all* the files on all PCs involved?

?
Sorry I thought someone reported the same problem of the new anti ring feature greyed oy for them also.. But when I went back to check I see they are talking about something else

My installer updated madvr so I really don't know how he did it sorry. Maybe my installation for the latest version hasn't been installed correctly.

Can someone give me the correct procedure for installing new updates please?

You mention is the installation multiple/updated *all* files, etc etc but Im not sure about how its done correctly. Can someone help with the correct procedure please so I can pass this onto the installer?

Thanks in advance...
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 01:05   #37876  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Sorry I thought someone reported the same problem of the new anti ring feature greyed oy for them also.. But when I went back to check I see they are talking about something else

My installer updated madvr so I really don't know how he did it sorry. Maybe my installation for the latest version hasn't been installed correctly.

Can someone give me the correct procedure for installing new updates please?

You mention is the installation multiple/updated *all* files, etc etc but Im not sure about how its done correctly. Can someone help with the correct procedure please so I can pass this onto the installer?

Thanks in advance...
As you use JRIVER you need to find were JRIVER instaled madvr folder...
When you find download the rar from first page of this thread and extract all files to this folder...
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 02:21   #37877  |  Link
Manni

Madshi, thanks for the reply re my crash report.
I have no idea why I have the issue and not others. It could be a combo of settings.
I'll try your suggestion, I'll also try to reset the settings to default and see if it makes a difference.

Re your question about why no HDR content in 10000nits, it's because there is no monitor able to grade HDR content in 10000nits. The max today is the Dolby Vision Pulsar, which does 4000nits in 1080p. Their 4K model can't do 4000nits. The other often used grading monitor for HDR is the Sony which does around 1000-1200nits.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 03:47   #37878  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
As you use JRIVER you need to find were JRIVER instaled madvr folder...
When you find download the rar from first page of this thread and extract all files to this folder...
JRiver installed madVR here for me:

c:\Users\Jkauff\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Plugins\madvr\
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 03:49   #37879  |  Link
SamuriHL

Another positive vote for the new deringing. Very impressive results I must say! I only had limited time to check it out, but, I tried it on some Family Guy episodes and I'm quite impressed. Nicely done!
Old 11th May 2016, 04:10   #37880  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Another positive vote for the new deringing. Very impressive results I must say! I only had limited time to check it out, but, I tried it on some Family Guy episodes and I'm quite impressed. Nicely done!
Yeah I'm using it on Naruto Shippuden ATM, and I'm happy with the results. Dehalo Alpha was one filter I used a little quite some years back, in the end I think it destroyed the image too much so I stopped using it.

Next up, deblocking!
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling