Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 20th April 2006, 09:31   #401  |  Link
jesus2099

Hello ai4spam!

In fact I had the error before going automatic! How come I had this error and not you? What must I do to prevent it?

For the 1 second, I understand.. But in the case of a VHS (where image is almost always distorted) one must mostly count on guesses rather than to correct each and every characters. Because the prompt almost display for every character.
For this project I told myself it would be faster to post correct than to correct inline (which is even longer than typing all the subs). A waiting of 0 second would have been very nice in this situation. The rip would have been very very fast instead of (number of characters x 1s) time.
Thanks!
jesus2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2006, 00:23   #402  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Again, the memory problem is a Delphi thing. I'm not sure if it'd go away when compiled with Delphi 2006, I haven't tried it yet. I need to experiment some. Sometimes it works by saving everything and restarting.
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2006, 09:44   #403  |  Link
jesus2099

So you think it's not my file being corrupted?
Next time it happens I try to save and restart ; Thank you!
So Don't you think 0 second can sometimes be useful now? (^_^)
jesus2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2006, 07:42   #404  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

I'll think about making 0 a valid choice .
Old 30th April 2006, 18:58   #405  |  Link
Atomzk

I've been testing SubRip a bit (version 1.50b3). Overall it's doing a great job. Takes a bit of time to "train" it, but it does seem to save a lot of typing.

However, the main problem I'm having is that I just can't get the settings right. Either the "n" and "m" start to break (too thin), or the characters are surrounded by white spots. Using "outline" "fatten" and the tolerance sliders can't fix this. I've settled for having white spots and noise, however it does seem to ruin the OCR after some time because I keep adding spots to the matrix that Subrip has to ignore.

I get the impression the reason for this is that SubRip is insensitive to differences in colour saturation and just looks at the brightness. Subs are often white with a black border, so without any colour. This opposed to the background where bright areas often have some colour in them. At the moment Subrip may see a bright green spot (as in the attachment) as a character. When I would be able to tell subrip to have a low tolerance towards areas with colour in them, I'm sure seperation of the fonts from the background could be further improved.

Just a suggestion of course..
Attached Images

Atomzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2006, 19:09   #406  |  Link
molitar

Atomzk, that is why I think if a brightness and contrast filter at least was built in or the capability to use fdshow so I could do that it would work more efficiently.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2006, 22:36   #407  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@Atomzk: Nice to see people using the hardsubed avi feature . You can set the tolerance per channel, so for example in order to avoid something that is bright green being detected, you have to lower the green tolerance.
@molitar: Good idea. No time to implement . You can accomplish the same thing by using a custom AviSynth file with all the filters you want.
Old 1st May 2006, 00:33   #408  |  Link
Atomzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4spam
@Atomzk: Nice to see people using the hardsubed avi feature . You can set the tolerance per channel, so for example in order to avoid something that is bright green being detected, you have to lower the green tolerance.
@molitar: Good idea. No time to implement . You can accomplish the same thing by using a custom AviSynth file with all the filters you want.
Hi. Well I can adjust the tolerance for green of course in this case, but then I'd have to adjust the colour settings every few frames. That just takes too much time. I'll look into the AviSynth thing.

Last edited by Atomzk; 1st May 2006 at 00:38.
Atomzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2006, 18:53   #409  |  Link
Isochroma

I very often get the "overlapping subs" error, and indeed the subs are overlapping. However, I can extract subs correctly using subresync. So why does SubRip make mistakes on the timecodes?
Isochroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 01:02   #410  |  Link
Zerryk

Problematic italic tag conversion

It happens when converting from srt to sub and vice versa.
Code:
<i>first italic line</i>
<i>second italic line</i>
is correctly converted to:
Code:
{y:i}first italic line|{y:i}second italic line
But:
Code:
<i>two lines spanned
in single italic tag</i>
results in
Code:
"two lines spanned|in single italic tag"
which is incorrect - the italic tags are lost and replaced by quotes. The same happens if the <i> tag is not closed at the end of line (as produced by Subtitle Workshop).
Similar problem occurs when doing a sub -> srt conversion. The {Y:i} tag (capital Y) is taken only for the first line.
I think some parse-time convertor which replicates spanning and unclosed tags for each following line would be the best solution...
Zerryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 12:45   #411  |  Link
Suchy

What about joining matrices (*.sum files)?

I have 2 *. sum files with matrices, and I can't join it into one file.
Suchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 02:32   #412  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@Zerrik: I'll add it to my (already long) list.
@Suchy: Not possible at the moment. Someone with some Pascal knowledge could try to write something, by looking at the source code. Meanwhile, put them in the same directory, always open the one with more characters, and whenever there's an unknown one, use the search matrix button to make it check the other file as well. If a match is found, it'll be added to the currently open matrix.
Old 17th May 2006, 14:32   #413  |  Link
Suchy

@ai4spam: thx. I try his way. I'm going to look at source and maybe try do this.
Old 18th May 2006, 10:13   #414  |  Link
awx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchy
@ai4spam: thx. I try his way. I'm going to look at source and maybe try do this.
Suchy, if you start on a project to join .sum files, another feaure which I would find useful is to compare two .sum files and report how many entries are duplicates.
awx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 22:09   #415  |  Link
Suchy

Hmm.. It allows add only non-duplicate entries to second sum file.

Ok. I rememmber that.

P.S.
But I don't know if and when I start this project. It depends of free time (I have a lot other projects).
Old 1st June 2006, 11:58   #416  |  Link
iElectric

Great app. I would love feature that app would auto load chars at startup
iElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2006, 14:16   #417  |  Link
ukendt

Something wrong with the last release, no matter which server I choose the file can not be read ?
ukendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2006, 17:57   #418  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

It worked for me (easynews server). SourceForge tends to take a while to mirror things. Too bad the release includes source and executable - not everyone wants both.

Great to see people picking up the slack and carrying this forward . It's been a while for me, due to things happening in my personal life (I got engaged). I'll try to squeeze in some time to work on this. Unfortunately, this means I'll have to merge the latest changes (v 1.50b3a) with my current version, which has A LOT of changes going towards a v 2.0. I'll keep everyone posted.

Ummm... in case it wasn't obvious, the other news is we got subrip.sourceforge.net. Does anyone want to volunteer some nice website design? I think such a move deserves new "clothes" .

Last edited by ai4spam; 4th June 2006 at 18:01.
Old 4th June 2006, 21:58   #419  |  Link
ukendt

Could not read file.

Go back. /home/ftp/pub/sourceforge//s/so/sourceforge/subrip/subrip_1.50_beta3a.7z
Jun 04, 2006 13:58
ukendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 04:38   #420  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Try the usual way first: go to http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/s...3a.7z?download and select a mirror.
Only if that fails, try:
http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/s...1.50_beta3a.7z

Last edited by ai4spam; 5th June 2006 at 04:46.