Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 21st February 2020, 15:15   #18361  |  Link
duffbeer

On the subject of aspect ratios...…..why is there no option for 2.39:1?
We have 1.85, 2.35 and 2.40 but at the moment all of our 2.39 ratio videos would be resized to 2.40. I realise that I can add a custom aspect ratio to correct this but it would be easier if all the typical ratios were available to select.
duffbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2020, 17:06   #18362  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
Hi,

I have some 4k videos that I previously encoded to 3840x1920 (2.00 AR with no borders).

I am reencoding them to 1280x640 for more portability to take on trips on my tablet.

I am able to do that one at a time by selecting "Custom Resize" and use x,xx:1 in the Avisynth tab, enter my preferred width and height directly, and it resizes and encodes them correctly witout adding borders which is exactly what I want. No issue there.

But if I try to expedite things by using the Batch feature, it doesn't give me that option, the only custom option for resize seems to be "Custom Auto Height", which first of all guesses incorrectly at the height for some reason and sets it to 692 instead of 640, which stretches the video, and the resulting encode also adds black bars to pad it out to 1280x720. Neither of these are what I want.

Am I missing something in the Batch encode settings, or can I customize the resize selection so I can directly enter 1280x640 and have it NOT add the black bars?

Either way I can get the result I need but it would be way more efficient if I could enter the correct settings once in the Batch interface and not have to do this one by one 10 times...
The only ways to "batch" I know to do this is to make the jobs in batch and then edit their job files with something like NotePad++ to add the custom lines you need/want.
Or the easier way, setup a custom script for this.
byteshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2020, 17:33   #18363  |  Link
therealjoeblow

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteshare View Post
The only ways to "batch" I know to do this is to make the jobs in batch and then edit their job files with something like NotePad++ to add the custom lines you need/want.
Or the easier way, setup a custom script for this.
...Seems like a lot of unnecessary and error prone work when the options are already there and user friendly in the one-at-a-time encode interface, but for some unknown reason omitted from the batch encoding interface.

Why would the batch interface not simply present the same options for custom resize using manually entered x and y dimensions without border padding (in addition to the ones already there)? Doesn't seem to make sense when that's already in the code...
Old 22nd February 2020, 16:23   #18364  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Hi,

I have some 4k videos that I previously encoded to 3840x1920 (2.00 AR with no borders).

I am reencoding them to 1280x640 for more portability to take on trips on my tablet.

I am able to do that one at a time by selecting "Custom Resize" and use x,xx:1 in the Avisynth tab, enter my preferred width and height directly, and it resizes and encodes them correctly witout adding borders which is exactly what I want. No issue there.

But if I try to expedite things by using the Batch feature, it doesn't give me that option, the only custom option for resize seems to be "Custom Auto Height", which first of all guesses incorrectly at the height for some reason and sets it to 692 instead of 640, which stretches the video, and the resulting encode also adds black bars to pad it out to 1280x720. Neither of these are what I want.

Am I missing something in the Batch encode settings, or can I customize the resize selection so I can directly enter 1280x640 and have it NOT add the black bars?

Either way I can get the result I need but it would be way more efficient if I could enter the correct settings once in the Batch interface and not have to do this one by one 10 times...
1) Open notepad and add following lines
Code:
#Resize
video=Spline36Resize(video,1280,640)
2) Save as Resize1280x640.avs in Tools\AviSynth plugins\Scripts\Custom folder
3) Run Ripbot264
4) In Batch mode select Resize1280x640.avs in Custom Script section

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 22nd February 2020 at 16:33.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2020, 02:50   #18365  |  Link
Stereodude

Is there a guide for using this to encode my .avs script on a single system to better use the CPU by encoding it in parallel chunks? Presumably I want to use distributed encoding and run multiple servers, but that's just a guess because it's not really clear.

I've tried to stumble my way through this, but it's super frustrating because it throws useless (to me) error messages and doesn't work.

I load my .avs in it, set my encoding options, start 4 servers

I click start and get some cryptic message about c:\Temp\RipBot264temp\job1\video.mkv.kfi does not exist!...

How do I get this to work?
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2020, 08:15   #18366  |  Link
userx

When i'm using a VPN connection in DE mode, the encoding servers starts with external IP address in left grayed field and encoding won't start. Ist there any switch to tell them which address or interface to use?
(W10x64)
userx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2020, 14:44   #18367  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

@Stereodude
Instead of importing .avs file directly use regular video file (mkv,mp4,avi and so on) and then your custom filters add via custom script.

@userx
EncodingServer.exe /ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

List of all supported switches

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 23rd February 2020 at 14:47.
Old 24th February 2020, 05:40   #18368  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
@Stereodude
Instead of importing .avs file directly use regular video file (mkv,mp4,avi and so on) and then your custom filters add via custom script.
Sorry, I'm not interesting in doing that. I will go back to my manual method that gives me full control.

Last edited by Stereodude; 24th February 2020 at 06:14. Reason: typo
Old 24th February 2020, 11:23   #18369  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Sorry, I'm not interesting in doing that. I will go back to my manual method that gives me full control.
In that case I won't be interested in helping you next time...
Old 24th February 2020, 14:15   #18370  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Code:
#Resize
3) Run Ripbot264
Hi Atak,

It's all well and good to have several custom filters, but there is a bit of a disadvantage, if you needed to use more than one custom filter.

eg:- this Resize script, and say a custom MDegrain filter, or any of the other scripts available.

Is there a way to run multiple scripts ??
Old 24th February 2020, 14:28   #18371  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Hey "dude", bad move on your part (been there and done that)

I'd suggest that trying to load an .avs is causing these errors,.. as AFAIK they are not supported.

You obviously haven't had much experience with RipBot, and are not willing to figure out how it works.

Admittedly it can be a bit fussy to initially set it up, but once you've figured out how it works, especially distributed encoding, you won't look back, and if you have 1 or more powerful systems, it will pay big dividends. Even running DE on 1 pc makes a significant difference.

Getting the network and IP settings correct is a BIG thing.

So if you're not interested in figuring out how to get this to work, by all means go back to what you were doing, with whatever it was you were doing it with, and leave us alone.
Old 24th February 2020, 17:04   #18372  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
...Seems like a lot of unnecessary and error prone work when the options are already there and user friendly in the one-at-a-time encode interface, but for some unknown reason omitted from the batch encoding interface.

Why would the batch interface not simply present the same options for custom resize using manually entered x and y dimensions without border padding (in addition to the ones already there)? Doesn't seem to make sense when that's already in the code...
Custom scripts do present the problem of errors but once you have it figured out there are no more errors.
The reason (my guess) that more and more options have moved to custom scripts is that the Dev. has changed direction over the years. While the option might be there in edit but not batch is something rather than changing RB every time this happens or people want a new filter they can do it on a case by case basis with custom filters as there will be over lap between what people want but not a lot of overlap even when a filter feels really important to a user.
I use custom filters a lot, feel free to ask a detailed question about them if you need more help as this is the best solution IMO.

Quote:
Custom scripts will also give you full control and save you time, as it is almost the same thing as what you're wanting IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
Yes! with a custom script. The downside is if you have a lot of different scenarios that you come across a lot you'll need a lot of very similar custom scripts. I keep a few dozen around for this reason and try to archive ones I haven't used in the last ~6 months.
Old 24th February 2020, 17:29   #18373  |  Link
therealjoeblow

Quote:
Code:
#Resize
3) Run Ripbot264
Thank you!
Old 24th February 2020, 17:32   #18374  |  Link
therealjoeblow

Quote:
Custom scripts do present the problem of errors but once you have it figured out there are no more errors.
The reason (my guess) that more and more options have moved to custom scripts is that the Dev. has changed direction over the years. While the option might be there in edit but not batch is something rather than changing RB every time this happens or people want a new filter they can do it on a case by case basis with custom filters as there will be over lap between what people want but not a lot of overlap even when a filter feels really important to a user.
I use custom filters a lot, feel free to ask a detailed question about them if you need more help as this is the best solution IMO.

Custom scripts will also give you full control and save you time, as it is almost the same thing as what you're wanting IMO.

Yes! with a custom script. The downside is if you have a lot of different scenarios that you come across a lot you'll need a lot of very similar custom scripts. I keep a few dozen around for this reason and try to archive ones I haven't used in the last ~6 months.
Question... Do custom scripts replace the rest of the settings in the GUI entirely, or are they just added on top of what is already selected. And in that case, are they added before or after the GUI selections.

Eg. if I select "tonemap" from the dropdown in the example Atak provided with the 1280x640 custom resize script, does the script override the tonemap and I have to set that in my custom script too?
Old 24th February 2020, 17:53   #18375  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Question... Do custom scripts replace the rest of the settings in the GUI entirely, or are they just added on top of what is already selected. And in that case, are they added before or after the GUI selections.

Eg. if I select "tonemap" from the dropdown in the example Atak provided with the 1280x640 custom resize script, does the script override the tonemap and I have to set that in my custom script too?
"Do custom scripts replace the rest of the settings in the GUI entirely, or are they just added on top of what is already selected"
They are just added in with the other settings.

The custom script goes after most of the GUI settings, but you can see exactly where the settings are going by clicking Edit on a job > AviSynth > Show Video Script
The settings that go after #Custom are (in order):
#Prefetch
#After_Prefetch_Denoise
#After_Prefetch_Custom
#Borders
#Subtitles
#AudioSource
#Triming
#AVSameLength
#ColorSpace
#Return

As for Tonemap, that comes before the custom script and wouldn't "override" those options.

Last edited by byteshare; 24th February 2020 at 17:55.
Old 24th February 2020, 22:57   #18376  |  Link
jonesjrgr

Hi everyone!!!!

I have a weird problem (i think..).
I am using Ripbot regularly..I had a VGA malfuction,so i had to downgrade from nvidia 770gtx to nvidia 280gtx (drivers 342.01)
The problem i have is,when i try to encode to tonemap (from settings),it shows the message "ffprobe.exe has stopped working"
If i try to turn on tonemapping from avisynth parameters,"ffprobe.exe has stopped working" and "Ripbot264 error "List index out of bounds(5)"

Every suggestion is appreciated!!!!
jonesjrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2020, 22:59   #18377  |  Link
jonesjrgr

I forgot to mention:

I have re-installed from scratch Ripbot,avisynth,vga drivers

Thanx again!!!!!
jonesjrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2020, 23:29   #18378  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
In that case I won't be interested in helping you next time...
Wow, I'm sorry I wasted so much of your time by causing you to have to indirectly tell me your tool won't do what I want.

In my short testing your program I noticed the following additional shortfalls.

1) Your program appends options I didn't ask for to the x265 command line / doesn't give me full control of the x265 command line.

2) Your program seems to have no ability to pass a qpfile into the x265 encoder.

I didn't ask you to do anything for me. You informed me that it can't be used how I'd like to use it, so I'm moving on. I'm sorry you have taken that so personally.

Quote:
Hey "dude", bad move on your part (been there and done that)

I'd suggest that trying to load an .avs is causing these errors,.. as AFAIK they are not supported.

You obviously haven't had much experience with RipBot, and are not willing to figure out how it works.

Admittedly it can be a bit fussy to initially set it up, but once you've figured out how it works, especially distributed encoding, you won't look back, and if you have 1 or more powerful systems, it will pay big dividends. Even running DE on 1 pc makes a significant difference.

Getting the network and IP settings correct is a BIG thing.

So if you're not interested in figuring out how to get this to work, by all means go back to what you were doing, with whatever it was you were doing it with, and leave us alone.
I respectfully disagree. I figured out well enough how it works. I'm not interesting in changing my entire processing flow into it. I was hoping to use it to do distributed encoding at the end of my current processing flow instead of having to manually break up the final output into pieces and run the encodes simultaneously. It can't be used for that, which is fine. I took a look at it because Atak_Snajpera had previously suggested it in threads for distributed encoding on high core count systems to better utilize the CPU. It's not compatible with my method.

Last edited by Stereodude; 24th February 2020 at 23:31.
Old 25th February 2020, 00:28   #18379  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
Quote:
I guess he means "how to run multiple scripts" with one selection in the batch menu

So the answer is, we can join them in one? with a proper name of course
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 00:46   #18380  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
I guess he means "how to run multiple scripts" with one selection in the batch menu

So the answer is, we can join them in one? with a proper name of course
Yes, slalom, that IS exactly what I was talking about

So here's an example of 2 scripts (Enhanced Details, and MDegrain)..

would this work ??

Quote:
#After_Prefetch_Custom
LoadPlugin("C:\RipBot264\Tools\Plugins_JPSDR\Plugins_JPSDR.dll")
LevelLimit=(video.BitsPerComponent==8) ? 255 : 1023
IntensityMask=ConvertToY(video).Levels(0,2,LevelLimit,0,LevelLimit,coring=false)
EdgeMask=aSobel(IntensityMask,chroma=0,thresh=255,SetAffinity=false).invert.Levels(0,2,LevelLimit,0,LevelLimit,coring=false).Blur(1)
SharpMask=Overlay(IntensityMask,EdgeMask,mode="Multiply",opacity=1.0)
SharpenedVideo=Sharpen(video,1)
video=Overlay(video,SharpenedVideo,mask=SharpMask,opacity=1.0)

#Denoise
Loadplugin("C:\RipBot264\Tools\AviSynth plugins\mvtools\mvtools2.dll")
super=MSuper(video,pel=2)
bv1=MAnalyse(super,blksize=8,isb=true,delta=1,overlap=4)
fv1=MAnalyse(super,blksize=8,isb=false,delta=1,overlap=4)
video=MDegrain1(video,super,bv1,fv1,thSAD=400)
If this was then saved as what ever you wanted to call it, and accessed it from the "Custom" options in Avisynth settings....

It may not need the # names

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360