Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th October 2003, 18:12   #1  |  Link
SocketA

50 fps RealVideo?

Do you know what would be really cool?

RealVideo9 at 50 fps.

Every other video codec supports 2x 'normal' frame rate (DivX,Xvid,WMV,VP6) why not Real?

if I tried to tell 'producer' to make a 50fps file it says maximum is 30fps

Ok...why would I want to make such a file?

check out this website : www.100fps.com
SocketA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2003, 23:38   #2  |  Link
karl_lillevold

that's a great suggestion. I am not sure it would play back correctly in RealOne (to be tested), but it probably would with RealMediaSplitter.

I have filed an enhancement request:
https://helix-dna.helixcommunity.org...bug.cgi?id=718

I don't know how much work it would be to change this in Producer. There is no inherent framerate limitation in the codec.
Old 30th October 2003, 13:17   #3  |  Link
rc55

As an aside, I understand that RealVideo supports Variable Frame Rate. Is this true? If so - is there any documentation that I / We could see?

It would be interesting to see in regards to mixing various types of content together.
rc55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2003, 00:33   #4  |  Link
karl_lillevold

@rc55 : yes, variable framerate is no problem. This will happen for very low bitrates, or when DropDupe is used, or for mixed interlaced / ITVC content. I am not sure exactly which documentation you are looking for?

@SocketA: I tried to encode a 60 fps clip with the latest Producer Milestone, and it encodes it, and it even appears to play back, but every 2nd frame has been skipped I think we should be able to fix this shortly. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Old 31st October 2003, 06:54   #5  |  Link
SocketA

@karl_lillevold:

Great to hear that you like my suggestion, and that you will look into it

I should have said something sooner (like a maybe a year ago), but silly me for thinking that you wouldn't listen

Looking forward to go 100% real
SocketA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2003, 21:59   #6  |  Link
karl_lillevold

this problem has been fixed, and should be available with the next Producer release. It was a simple matter of an erroneous test in the module handling the interface between the codec and Producer. Everything else in the system handles 50-60 fps video without any problems. I have verified that the resulting 60 fps RMVB file plays back correctly both in MPC w DirectShow and RealOne.
Thanks!
(Remember to set maxFrameRate in your audience file to 60 when encoding such files)