Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 7th March 2007, 20:25   #1  |  Link
kikker

Potential conficts with Nero Encode and ffdshow?

I just installed Nero 7 only to find that a whopping 60 directshow filters were installed. Now, I did expect a few of course but not that many. I had ffdshow installed, and for playback, I'll assume that this will continue to have priority given its high merit rating by default.

What about Haali's filter? Does that function remain intact?
As for playing back AVC Nero encoded material, it seems ffdshow or CoreAVC is still the preferrred method of playback, is it not?

Aside from the filters required for Nero encoding, what is recommended for all those other filters - just leave them be?

I don't intend to use Nero's playback component.
kikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2007, 02:18   #2  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikker View Post
I just installed Nero 7 only to find that a whopping 60 directshow filters were installed. Now, I did expect a few of course but not that many. I had ffdshow installed, and for playback, I'll assume that this will continue to have priority given its high merit rating by default.
FFDshow should be left intact, yet you should check merits with e.g. Softella Filter Manager (nifty, easy to use tool). Nero 6 has messed up a bit in my case, and every newer version is worse (the same goes for Cyberlink, how I hate it! It even stole the standard mpeg1/2 sound decoders).

I have almost all Nero AG filters/ splitters/ parsers /decoders set to 00200000 merit (do not use ), yet I can't recall if I've done this myself. Some have normal merit, while both ffdshow and Haali Media Splitter have very high priority, so they should be fine.

Quote:
(...)just leave them be?
I don't intend to use Nero's playback component.
You could set everything that comes from Nero AG to the lowest merit, though I don't think it's absolutely crucial.

cheers,
HDBR77