Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st June 2016, 19:48   #38201  |  Link
spon

MadVr with GTX 960 for x265 playback

Hi everyone,

First I would just like to thank @madshi for such a wonderful product. I've been using MadVR for a few years now, but never really dove too deep into the settings until recently. I did a search in this thread and read through the last 15-20 pages before posting, so I hope this hasn't already been covered.

I upgraded my GPU to a GTX 960 a few weeks ago to specifically help with HEVC x265 playback. For non-x265 content, I am able to get smooth playback of 720p and 1080p sources to my 1080p plasma TV (Samsung PN64D7000) with MadVR rendering a fantastic picture. However, I am still having some issues playing back 1080p x265 content. I am can normally get smooth playback around 1200 kbps or under, but even in that range on some videos I get rendering times that jump well over 40+ on occasion. If I pause the playback (or even better, stop playback) and restart, the playback will be smooth for a while again. Higher bitrate x265 videos (2500 kbps +) will be well over 40-50 rendering times.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but my main question is this... Is my CPU potentially bottlenecking the GTX 960? My understanding was that the 960 decodes x265 content without the processor, but I could be totally off-base on that. I do have a under-powered CPU (AMD A6-6400k) so I'm guessing that's the culprit, but before I invest in a better CPU and new motherboard, I would just like to make sure that my thinking is correct.

Thanks guys!
spon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 21:07   #38202  |  Link
aufkrawall

I'd try disabling deband fade- and black bar detection.
Are you using the latest LAV filters and what are your settings for it?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 22:19   #38203  |  Link
spon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I'd try disabling deband fade- and black bar detection.
Are you using the latest LAV filters and what are your settings for it?
Thanks for the reply. I never even thought about the LAV filters. I don't think I've updated those settings for a couple of years, but I do think I have the latest version. I'm playing media through Emby and I believe the latest version contains the latest LAV. However, I haven't updated anything in LAV so the settings are probably messing me up.

Screenshot below. Thanks again.
Attached Images

Old 1st June 2016, 23:19   #38204  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by spon View Post
Thanks for the reply. I never even thought about the LAV filters. I don't think I've updated those settings for a couple of years, but I do think I have the latest version. I'm playing media through Emby and I believe the latest version contains the latest LAV. However, I haven't updated anything in LAV so the settings are probably messing me up.

Screenshot below. Thanks again.
It sounds like hardware acceleration isn't functional.

Set LAV Video to allow hardware acceleration with DXVA2 (copy-back) and check the checkbox for HEVC. This will prevent the CPU from decoding this format.

Try this link for more detailed setup: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?...541#pid1843541

Last edited by Warner306; 1st June 2016 at 23:32.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 23:51   #38205  |  Link
spon

[QUOTE=Warner306;1769223]It sounds like hardware acceleration isn't functional.

Set LAV Video to allow hardware acceleration with DXVA2 (copy-back) and check the checkbox for HEVC. This will prevent the CPU from decoding this format.

Try this link for more detailed setup: [URL="[/QUOTE]

Thanks Warner. I've read a lot of your work in various forums over the past few months. Really appreciate it.
Old 2nd June 2016, 00:22   #38206  |  Link
spon

[QUOTE=Warner306;1769223]It sounds like hardware acceleration isn't functional.

Try this link for more detailed setup: [URL="[/QUOTE]

Ok, so I think the problem is with Emby playback itself. Here is what I've found.

My LAV Filters are set up to with HEVC checked and DXVA2 (copy-back). When I play a HEVC file with MPC and check the LAV Video Settings during playback, I will see the HEVC box checked. However, when I play back the same file in Emby using the MadVR rendering, the HEVC box is NOT checked.

Checking the MadVR on-screen stats, I'll see that the average rendering time is around 11-12 ms, so plenty low. But the max render will jump to 50+ and sometimes 100+ ms. Very strange. Even when the average stays consistent around 12 ms, I still see dropped frames every few seconds.
Old 2nd June 2016, 03:35   #38207  |  Link
huhn

can you make a screen from the OSD?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 04:43   #38208  |  Link
spon

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
can you make a screen from the OSD?
Attached. Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 2nd June 2016, 05:06   #38209  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Attached. Thanks!
Upload it somewhere else and link it.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 06:42   #38210  |  Link
spon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Upload it somewhere else and link it.
My bad.

http://tinypic.com/r/dzxpqb/9
Old 2nd June 2016, 06:47   #38211  |  Link
ryrynz

That happens to me too, honestly I never pay attention to those max stats.. I think this is actually normal.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 12:50   #38212  |  Link
SamuelMaki

Hey!

Wrestling with my old laptop that I use as a HTPC (AMD Phenom II N930 2Ghz and AMD 5650m+4250 gpu), and after reinstalling windows 7 64-bit and updating mpc-hc and madVR (64-bit) to their latest nightly, I can barely get bilinear to work. Is there any change about performance in older rigs as mine from 89.x to latest? Or am I missing some requirement I am supposed to install (vcredist etc)? GPU-z shows that the clocks go up for 3D (550/800) and that the utilization is low (0%-20%), yet still I get "dips" in the queues occasionally and starting+switching to fullscreen results in around 20-30 dropped frames, no matter if exclusive or not. I am "forced" to use gpu-drivers from 2012 (Catalyst 12.4 to be exact) as I have a legacy GPU on my motherboard and AMD doesn't support them.

So, is there any queue-tweaks or rendering tweaks I should take into consideration? I was happily running Mitchell-Netravali for luma and Bicubic 75+AR on chroma (as well as debanding) before on my laptop, though it was pretty loud occasionally.

Another slightly off-topic question, does clock-speed affect temperatures if voltages stay the same?
SamuelMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 13:45   #38213  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
the decoding isn't fast enough.

until this is fixed i would ignore the max stats.
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:45   #38214  |  Link
spon

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the decoding isn't fast enough.

until this is fixed i would ignore the max stats.
Does that mean the MadVr decoding isn't fast enough? Or that my CPU isn't fast enough? Just trying to figure out if a CPU/motherboard upgrade will help or not.

I'm getting smooth playback for 10 min or so and then it gets very choppy until I pause or stop the playback.

Thanks!
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:54   #38215  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Does that mean the MadVr decoding isn't fast enough? Or that my CPU isn't fast enough? Just trying to figure out if a CPU/motherboard upgrade will help or not.

I'm getting smooth playback for 10 min or so and then it gets very choppy until I pause or stop the playback.

Thanks!
that should be a CPU issue.
but i have no clue what type of content you are playing there.

you are saying it starts after 10 min that could mean the CPU is thermal throttling or something unlikely like the file get's way harder to decode. could be power saving mode too or something like that.

what so ever the frames are not delivered fast enough to madVR or it least that's what i see on the screen.
Old 2nd June 2016, 16:34   #38216  |  Link
spon

thanks @huhn. I see this behavior with most HEVC content, especially with bitrates higher than 1800kbps or so. In most cases, I will play 1080p content on a 1080p display, so no scaling beyond the basic Chroma.
Old 2nd June 2016, 17:50   #38217  |  Link
aufkrawall

Some tools (e.g. Nvidia Inspector) can read out video processor's utilization, how much is it during video playback? And how much GPU and CPU usage?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 19:06   #38218  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
thanks @huhn. I see this behavior with most HEVC content, especially with bitrates higher than 1800kbps or so. In most cases, I will play 1080p content on a 1080p display, so no scaling beyond the basic Chroma.
what your is video card, CPU and decoder settings?
Old 2nd June 2016, 22:23   #38219  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Your GTX 960 is not decoding HEVC. This sounds like a problem with DXVA2 (copy-back) and LAV Video.

Didn't you say MPC-HC was fine and Emby was not? Is Emby or your settings in Emby the problem?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 23:35   #38220  |  Link
Della

Quote:
Ok, so I think the problem is with Emby playback itself. Here is what I've found.

My LAV Filters are set up to with HEVC checked and DXVA2 (copy-back). When I play a HEVC file with MPC and check the LAV Video Settings during playback, I will see the HEVC box checked. However, when I play back the same file in Emby using the MadVR rendering, the HEVC box is NOT checked.

Checking the MadVR on-screen stats, I'll see that the average rendering time is around 11-12 ms, so plenty low. But the max render will jump to 50+ and sometimes 100+ ms. Very strange. Even when the average stays consistent around 12 ms, I still see dropped frames every few seconds.
Emby keeps it's own copies of madVr and LavFilters in the Users userdata? folder. If you have LAV installed separately, Emby ignores it. You'll need to edit the config file in the Emby folder.
Della is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling