Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 12th May 2011, 21:30   #1  |  Link
BilboFett

need help unblending previously blended frames rather than dropping frames

Hi, I have a source clip I want to edit in Adobe premiere.
It is 1280x720 (720p) but the moron set the frame rate to 30fps.
30fps video is outside the spec for 720p format and won't display in premiere. (You can only do 23.976, 24, or 59.94 for 720p content).
What's worse, it was presumably shot in interlaced, then post-blended to become progressive, so wherever theres movement, theres blurry blended frames, and it looks pretty bad.
I've already scolded the gentleman and told him theres absolutely no reason he needs to be shooting interlaced for 720p target video. And I told him that if he's at least going to convert interlaced content to progressive from his HD camera, to use interpolation instead of blurry frame-blends. But what's done is done.
In order to edit this video, I have to convert it to standard 720p frame-rate spec, which is going to be 23.976 or 24 (59.94 is not an option).
Obviously when I do frame rate conversion (in something like vdub) to 24, it highlights/heightens the blurry effect and makes it even worse, probably adding jitter as well.
I need a recommendation for a tool to take it from 30 fps to 24 for proper 720p spec for importing into premiere.
So far I haven't had alot of luck (probably doing something wrong).
Any recommendations for some unblending tools
that may do a better job than just ditching some blended frames. I've already used stuff like decomb in avisynth to decimate from 30 to 24 but the blurry/blended frames are still there on all the movement. I did a simple framerate conversion in vdub to 24 and it greatly increased the perception of blurriness/shakiness/jitter.
Any guidance would be appreciated!
BilboFett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 23:28   #2  |  Link
manono

You're already getting more expert help than your crummy source deserves:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...ropping-frames
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 23:33   #3  |  Link
BilboFett

Quote:
Originally Posted by manono View Post
You're already getting more expert help than your crummy source deserves:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...ropping-frames
alright, so then feel free to remove my post, or better, provide some other ideas that may not be in the other site.

I would actually like more info on the tools cdeblend, srestore, deblend, unblend, and removeblend but that thread doesn't seem interested in that for my specific problem.
Old 13th May 2011, 00:02   #4  |  Link

You haven't posted a link to a sample in either forum. You were also asked for the camera details and you did not provide that also. Why are you not giving us what we need to help you?

Last edited by Guest; 13th May 2011 at 00:10.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 00:42   #5  |  Link
BilboFett

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
You haven't posted a link to a sample in either forum. You were also asked for the camera details and you did not provide that also. Why are you not giving us what we need to help you?
I haven't given a sample clip or the camera details because I signed a non-disclosure/privacy agreement w/ the contractor.
I am trying to do my best here.
Old 13th May 2011, 01:04   #6  |  Link

Paging 'Karnak The Magnificent'. He's the only one that can help you now.

You can't give us a sample and you are unsure of the process your client used to produce it. That's why no-one is eager to go down the by-ways of deblending. It's most likely not applicable, so why would anyone spend their time on it? There's nothing stopping you from trying the deblending filters, though, if you think it worthwhile.

Last edited by Guest; 13th May 2011 at 02:07.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 03:09   #7  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboFett View Post
I would actually like more info on the tools cdeblend, srestore, deblend, unblend, and removeblend but that thread doesn't seem interested in that for my specific problem.
http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Extern...ending_removal

CDeblend comes included with SRestore. If the video is as you've described (every frame blended), I'm not sure anything will work. Too bad a sample isn't available so we could have a look.

And the reason they weren't interested was because we like to study a sample before offering advice. Do you really expect people to guess what you have and how it should be treated? We've all learned over the years not to trust a poster's description of what's wrong.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
24fps, decimate, frame blending, frame rate conversion, unblend