Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th May 2016, 23:14   #37961  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Hmmmm... Yes, I suppose enabling gamma processing probably doesn't make much sense if "disable calibration controls" is set. On the other hand, I don't consider it a crucial problem. Things like this should be fixed before version 1.0. But atm other things are more important.
Does madVR assume the display is BT.709 with pure power 2.2 gamma if "disable calibration controls" is set?
Old 15th May 2016, 23:49   #37962  |  Link
DragonQ

Is there any way of altering default settings for displays? I want to set MadVR to output 16-235 levels but every time I turn my AVR on and off it's detected as a new display and defaults to 0-255.
Old 16th May 2016, 00:07   #37963  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
It's difficult to make this configurable. Some users may share your opinion, others might not. If I added an option for this, it would be hard to understand for most users what the option means exactly.

Maybe you could activate supersampling (see image doubling section)? If you do that, upscaling refinement should work as expected. Of course this solution costs quite a bit of extra performance.
I was not asking for a new way option, only to be able to choose in such a small upscaling factor if i use a pre resizer or a pos resize filter same behavior as with bigger upsscaling factors... BTW madvr in some past version allowed that... but i respect your point... with all options avaliable can be hard and confusing to understand the behavior without reading and "studing" madvr functionality....
until v0.18 upscalling refinements was not active when set supersampling and upscaling 720 to 1360x768 neither if i set aways if upscaling is needed, i double checked in v0.18, i will try on v0.19 and report... but i already know that my hardware plus settings can ´t handle supersampling, i will tweak the settings and report
IMHOt is not the best way, this can be more confusing for some people, like happened to me, people can think that upscaling refinements activate with all upscaling factors... i waste sometime increasing the upscaling refinements strenght until understand that i was not seeing difference in image results because they not are activated...
but even with this the quality of my movies is spetacular and i only have to thank you madshi, sorry bother you with such as specific situation...

Last edited by CarlosCaco; 16th May 2016 at 02:11.
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 00:13   #37964  |  Link
Warner306

My question was about the nature of the new deringing algorithm. What percentage of sources are likely to have these artifacts and how good of a general use filter is this? Also, does deringing help with ringing created by compression of a source, where too much information is lost around high frequencies edges?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 00:18   #37965  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
* deringing now adds some grain to deringed image areas[/code]
light house:
no deringing - - | - - madVR v0.90.18 - - | - - madVR v0.90.19
Oh wow, that's far better than I thought you'd achieve with adding some grain although I suspect your other changes made a difference here too, but it's absolutely spectacular! Amazing work madshi, am suitably impressed.
An absolute must for most anime without a doubt, can't wait to do a quick comparison when I get home.

Last edited by ryrynz; 16th May 2016 at 00:24.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 00:29   #37966  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Unfortunately not. I haven't directly compared it yet, but maybe the old deringing filter even looked better with this particular cartoon even without SuperRes than the new one (which probably is better with filmed content?).
Maybe the grain around the dark lines makes the image look a bit dirty, will do screenshot comparison soon.
Ok, I'll wait for screenshots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Does madVR assume the display is BT.709 with pure power 2.2 gamma if "disable calibration controls" is set?
I think so, but I'm not sure right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Is there any way of altering default settings for displays? I want to set MadVR to output 16-235 levels but every time I turn my AVR on and off it's detected as a new display and defaults to 0-255.
Unfortunately no.

It's a new display every time? Does your AVR use a random serial number or how does that happen? Maybe it's just 2-5 different detected displays instead of an infinite number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
I was not asking for a new option, only to be able to choose [...]
How can you choose if there is no new option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
What percentage of sources are likely to have these artifacts
I don't know. Probably most sources have very minor ringing artifacts, which might not bother 99.9% of all users. Some sources probably have more obvious artifacts than others.

Quote:
how good of a general use filter is this?
I don't know. You tell me!

Quote:
Also, does deringing help with ringing created by compression of a source, where too much information is lost around high frequencies edges?
I've already explained before which kinds of artifacts this filter is supposed to fix, and how and why these artifacts occur.

Maybe the filter also fixes some compression artifacts as a side effect, I don't know, but that's not what it was designed to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Oh wow, that's far better than I thought you'd achieve with adding some grain, absolutely spectacular! Amazing work madshi.
FWIW, the added grain is only a part of the overall quality improvement. I've also done some other tweaks to the deringing algo.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 01:22   #37967  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Ok, I'll wait for screenshots.

How can you choose if there is no new option?

the same way we choose with all other bigger upscaling factors
if we want to sharpen the source we use image enhacements
if we want apply the sharpen after upscaling use upscalling refinements
if we want use in both use in both

this give the option to user decide what is best, as i said ATM madvr dont allow me to use upscalling refinements if the scalling factor is small... such as 720p to 1360x768, only allow me to use image enhacements
but don´t want to bother you with a situation that only me is asking...
these resolutions will sooner be end... almost everyone is using at least fullhd tv projectors and monitors... and seens that in general theres no such a smaller diference between the movies and the display, only bigger upscalling factors..

Last edited by CarlosCaco; 16th May 2016 at 02:12.
Old 16th May 2016, 01:28   #37968  |  Link
Nevilne

use profiles
Nevilne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 01:30   #37969  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevilne View Post
use profiles
and how should a profile trigger it?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 01:43   #37970  |  Link
Nevilne

in his specific case, something like

processing>image enhancements

if (scalingFactor.x>1) or (scalingFactor.y>1) "sharpen"
else "normal"
Nevilne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 01:56   #37971  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevilne View Post
in his specific case, something like

processing>image enhancements

if (scalingFactor.x>1) or (scalingFactor.y>1) "sharpen"
else "normal"
profiles don´t solve this... i just want to use upscalling refinements when upscalling hd to hd+ but as madshi said sometime ago madvr internaly don ´t active upscalling refinements for such a small scalling factor...
even if set to use upscalling refinements... the same with supersampling madvr doubles the image downscalle but don´t apply upscalling refinements, a least until v.18, i wil tes .19
but serious maybe this subjetic is extending too much, i don ´t want to bother madshi and other users with my specific situation

Last edited by CarlosCaco; 16th May 2016 at 02:08.
Old 16th May 2016, 02:04   #37972  |  Link
bcec

Just when I thought madVR can't get any better, and that it is already amazing as it is... this deringing thing is frigging fantastic! Ringing in the original bluray source is my number 1 annoyance. I am even annoyed by ones caused by very mild DNR+EE that is present in newer titles like Force Awakens. This thing is doing wonders! A big THANK YOU!

Last edited by bcec; 16th May 2016 at 02:12.
bcec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 02:08   #37973  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

If using Exclusive Mode, do you also have Full screen Window mode turned on?
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 03:09   #37974  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
If using Exclusive Mode, do you also have Full screen Window mode turned on?
Exclusive and Windowed modes are mutually exclusive. That is what "windowed" means in this context, i.e. "not exclusive".

Or do you meant something else?
Old 16th May 2016, 03:46   #37975  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
Exclusive and Windowed modes are mutually exclusive. That is what "windowed" means in this context, i.e. "not exclusive".

Or do you meant something else?
So you never have both turned on at the same time, correct?
Old 16th May 2016, 03:47   #37976  |  Link
70MM

Is there anyway to stop the small couple of jumps I get at the start of each movie?
There are no frame drops after a few secs..
Old 16th May 2016, 03:50   #37977  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
I think so, but I'm not sure right now.
Thanks, This might actually be the preferred behavior too.

Now that madVR handles HDR files, and there is even some wide gamut content, users might be very confused if an "HDR" BT.2020 or DCI P3 gamut file looked really washed out by default. You sort of need a default target gamut.

Having "unset" actually default to "Normal PC mode" makes sense to me but I suppose you could also remove that option and simply default a new display to "this display is already calibrated" set to BT.709 with pure power 2.20. Something to worry about for v1.0.

I haven't mentioned it yet but "reduce ringing artifacts" is great.. like all these new options it is hard for me to offer useful feedback for but it is a Good Thing. The updated version is better still.
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
So you never have both turned on at the same time, correct?
Correct.

Quote:
Is there anyway to stop the small couple of jumps I get at the start of each movie?
There are no frame drops after a few secs..
The option "delay playback start until render queue is full" is your best bet. Try increasing queue sizes if needed.

Last edited by Asmodian; 16th May 2016 at 03:54.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 04:15   #37978  |  Link
70MM

Quote:

Correct.

The option "delay playback start until render queue is full" is your best bet. Try increasing queue sizes if needed.
When I try to use Exclusive mode by itself the image starts to break up and stutter.

When I playback in just Window Mode its stable, why is this?

Last edited by 70MM; 16th May 2016 at 04:37.
Old 16th May 2016, 04:36   #37979  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
I have "delay playback start until render queue is full" turned on yet I still get the few dropped frames at the start of everything for a couple of secs.

When increasing queue size, which cue do I increase, the render one?
What numbers might some people here increase this to?
I have all mine set at 8...
Old 16th May 2016, 06:08   #37980  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
I have "delay playback start until render queue is full" turned on yet I still get the few dropped frames at the start of everything for a couple of secs.

When increasing queue size, which cue do I increase, the render one?
What numbers might some people here increase this to?
I have all mine set at 8...
There are so many things it might be it is hard to offer specific suggestions. Try increasing and decreasing all the queues within their full range (well, over 24 GPU queue is getting crazy). You can use GPU-Z or similar to watch your video memory to make sure you aren't running out with very large queue sizes.

Try lower queues too, all the way down to the minimums. Try changing the "how many video frames shall be presented in advance" numbers too. Usually the CPU queue size is less important, as long as it is big enough and usually stays full.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling