Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 25th September 2007, 23:11   #861  |  Link
honai

Quote:
The problem is that both Nero and Sonic are really bugged.
If you have found bugs you can always report them to Nero or Sonic.

Quote:
Nero is a 1.4GB program
What? My installation folder weighs less than 200 MB.

Quote:
which would be funny by itself if it wasn't so pathetic
What is so pathetic about it?

Quote:
is just about impossible to configure properly for HD-DVD playback
Impossible as in not possible? How come that it works for others?

Quote:
and hoses your Windows install after a few tries of getting it to work.
No, it doesn't. The problem most likely exists between keyboard and chair.

Quote:
And Sonic just dumps a few uncaught exceptions right onto the command line in a stunning display of programmer incompetence if you want to use it to decode E-AC3.
The Nero filters are working fine.

And looking back at your post from 24th September 2007, 23:56:

Quote:
Has anyone kept an old version of eac3to? It used to work very well but the versions in the last 2 months added only bloat and more dependancies.
and considering that you don't offer any specific bug reports at all it seems that your major intention in this thread is to badmouth software that - gasp! - seems to work just fine for many other users.

I find it especially rich that you claim that the latest versions of madshi's work "added only bloat". He's working on this for free, and you get even the full source code. I don't think you're in a position to discard his work in such a way.

Last edited by honai; 25th September 2007 at 23:19.

Old 25th September 2007, 23:24   #862  |  Link
Taktaal

It was perhaps not said in a very nice way, I'm sorry. But I did specify that the issues aren't with the eac3to code itself, but with the dependencies.
Old 25th September 2007, 23:55   #863  |  Link
honai

So what are the issues exactly? Perhaps readers can help you out.

Old 26th September 2007, 08:05   #864  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taktaal View Post
I did specify that the issues aren't with the eac3to code itself, but with the dependencies.
I'm still not sure which dependencies you're talking about. There have been no dependencies added at all in recent versions. Actually I've been *reducing* dependencies over time.
Old 26th September 2007, 08:07   #865  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
The problem is that both Nero and Sonic are really bugged. Nero is a 1.4GB program just to burn some CDs and play movies, which would be funny by itself if it wasn't so pathetic, is just about impossible to configure properly for HD-DVD playback
Fortunately all we need from the Nero package in this thread is the Nero Audio Decoder and that one is relatively small and works quite well.
Old 26th September 2007, 17:20   #866  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

I read somewhere that with sonic audio decoder can I can actually use the DD+ track, it is able to decode it. is this right and can I benefit from this track with this decoder already fully, meaning hes able to decode & output 'everything there is' additionally compared to an ac3 only track?
Old 26th September 2007, 21:19   #867  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
I read somewhere that with sonic audio decoder can I can actually use the DD+ track, it is able to decode it. is this right and can I benefit from this track with this decoder already fully, meaning hes able to decode & output 'everything there is' additionally compared to an ac3 only track?
Read the first post of this thread to learn about disadvantages of the Sonic decoder.
Old 26th September 2007, 21:39   #868  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

eac3to v1.16 released

http://madshi.net/eac3to.zip

This version can now fully decode demuxed TrueHD files from both HD DVD and Blu-Ray!!

That means: Sony TrueHD tracks can now be decoded bit perfectly because Sony doesn't use Dialog Normalization. Sadly, for other studios TrueHD decoding still isn't bit perfect because the Nero Audio Decoder does post processing (Dialog Normalization).

Here are test results with "The Fifth Element (Remastered)":

(1) Original 20bit TrueHD track in m2ts container: 4.12GB.
(2) Demuxed TrueHD track: 3.36GB.
(3) TrueHD after removal of interweaved AC3 frames: 2.81GB.
(4) 20bit TrueHD reencoded to FLAC: 2.54GB.
(5) 16bit LPCM track reencoded to FLAC: 1.55GB.

From the numbers it seems that TrueHD decoding is perfect for Sony Blu-Ray tracks. Now if only I knew how to remove Dialog Normalization for Blu-Ray tracks of other studios...
Old 26th September 2007, 23:40   #869  |  Link
HD-DVD±RW

@madshi just wanted to thank you greatly for providing a super useful application. I've used it on many occasions with great success. Keep up the good work.
Old 27th September 2007, 01:27   #870  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

^^completely agree. well done.
Old 27th September 2007, 04:31   #871  |  Link
nmeli15

When trying to convert ddp to ac3 with eac3to with Sonic-orbitlee error message.............gettin dts/ac3/dd+ source instances failed............what does that mean........
Old 27th September 2007, 07:34   #872  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-DVD±RW View Post
@madshi just wanted to thank you greatly for providing a super useful application. I've used it on many occasions with great success. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 27th September 2007, 07:35   #873  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmeli15 View Post
When trying to convert ddp to ac3 with eac3to with Sonic-orbitlee error message.............gettin dts/ac3/dd+ source instances failed............what does that mean........
It probably means that the orbitlee filter is not properly registered.
Old 27th September 2007, 08:01   #874  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

whats the difference between orbitlees's DD+ source filters and the ones that are applied otherwise, when those are not applied?
Old 27th September 2007, 19:32   #875  |  Link
homerpez

I've hit a serious snag while trying to back up the Cantonese audio from "Kung Fu Hustle" on Blu-Ray. The goal is a standard, ordinary 5.1 AC3 file, since it's just for backup.

The "Lossless PCM" track is 5.1 audio, and Power DVD info tells me it's LPCM.

I Demux this track with TSremux, and call it "Kung Fu Hustle.pcm".

Using Eac3to (the latest as of this date), this is what it gives me:

Code:
C:\temp\TEST>"C:\VIDEO\Rippak\EAC3TO\eac3to.exe" "C:\temp\TEST\Kung Fu Hustle.pc
m"  "C:\temp\TEST\Kung Fu Hustle.ac3"  -448 -orbitlee -16 -big
RAW, 5.1 channels, 1:39:04, 16 bits, 48khz
Converting the raw file to wav. Please wait...
Converting the wav file to ac3. Please wait...

Aften: A/52 audio encoder
Version 0.0.8
(c) 2006-2007 Justin Ruggles, Prakash Punnoor, et al.

Warning, unsupported file size.
input format: WAVE Signed 16-bit little-endian 48000 Hz 5.1-channel
output format: 48000 Hz 3/2 + LFE

SIMD usage: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3
Threads: 2

progress:   0% | q: 188.4 | bw: 34.0 | bitrate: 448.0 kbps

Done.
I know the LPCM stream works, when I play the movie off the hard drive in PowerDVD,it sounds fine.

When I play back the RAW PCM file, and it's garbled digital sound (I think it's supposed to at this stage). I play back the resulting AC3 file from running Eac3to, and it's still garbled, though I can hear the sound some in the background (but it is still digital noise). On the AC3, it turns into an audible BUZZZZZZ sound.

I am fairly sure that it is 16-bit instead of 24 bit, because when I select that, the timecode becomes correct in Eac3to's status, and the resulting AC3 matches the movie (on 24-bit, it doesn't). This does no good, when the sound is digital mish-mash. :P

I have tried both 24-bit and 16-bit, big endian, little endian, as well as forcing either the nero filter or the orbitlee filter. The result is the same: the AC3 has an audible BUZZZZZZ and is digitally garbled.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Hopefully the copied info above may be able to help? Thanks in advance...

Last edited by homerpez; 27th September 2007 at 19:45.
Old 27th September 2007, 20:51   #876  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@homerpez, try using xport instead of TsRemux. I've had trouble with TsRemuxed LPCM tracks before while xport has never failed me yet.
Old 27th September 2007, 21:29   #877  |  Link
Sephiroth0000

Can anyone help at all??
I know most of you are far ahead with regards to HD and making it WMV and what not with the 5.1 audio but im finding myself having serious problems here. I am following a persons tutorial on converting HD-DVDs to WMV HD with 5.1 audio channels http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=123010&page=5 thread no. 87. Now I have got to the very last stage of the tutorial but when I attempt to transcode I get this error...

C:\HD>eac3to.exe "C:\hd\PEVOB_1_MERGED.DD+.stream.00.ddp" "C:\hd\output.wav"
E-AC3, 5.1 channels, 2:16:18, 640kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
Remove Dialog Normalization information. Please wait...
Muxing eac3 file to raw. Please wait...
Getting "Nero Audio Decoder 2" instance failed.

C:\HD>tranzcode.exe "C:\hd\output.wav"
Error: Unable to open file: C:\hd\output.wav

C:\HD>wavavimux -o audio.avi -iwav 6 output-FL.wav output-FR.wav output-C.wav ou
tput-LFE.wav output-SL.wav output-SR.wav -mask 63
'wavavimux' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\HD>cscript.exe "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\wmcmd.vbs"
-input "C:\hd\Video_Only.avs" -a_input "C:\hd\audio.avi" -output "C:\hd\output.w
mv" -v_bframedist 1 -v_bdeltaqp 1 -v_mslevel 1 -v_codec wvc1 -v_keydist 3 -v_mod
e 2 -v_quality 96 -v_mmatch 0 -v_msrange 0 -v_performance 20 -v_loopfilter 1 -a_
codec wmapro -a_setting 384_48_6_16

I have tried looking up these errors but with no success. If anyone could give me any input with this I would really appreciate it because to be honest im all out of idea's.
Old 27th September 2007, 21:51   #878  |  Link
Taktaal

Your first command already failed so there's no use in continuing with the others.
The error code seems to indicate that you don't have Nero installed on your system. Once you install it you should get to a point where it says something like "expected 4GB file, but got 0 byte". And that's about as far as you're gonna get!
Old 27th September 2007, 22:48   #879  |  Link
Sephiroth0000

Quote:
Your first command already failed so there's no use in continuing with the others.
The error code seems to indicate that you don't have Nero installed on your system. Once you install it you should get to a point where it says something like "expected 4GB file, but got 0 byte". And that's about as far as you're gonna get!
But I do have Nero installed and I also have the Blu-Ray HD DVD plugin also. You seem to know what you are talking about so do you have any suggestions at all please? Where is that I have gone wrong? I understand that it is trying to load up Nero to continue the process of the audio but what I do not understand is why the error?
Old 28th September 2007, 00:02   #880  |  Link
TheSof

I just used eac3to on a demuxed truehd .mpa (superman returns) and it worked fine. However, it produced a 24bit flac. If the thd is 16 bit, should I be using the -16 switch? Or do the nero decoders only output 24bit?
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to