Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 1st February 2006, 18:10   #1  |  Link
Mr_Odwin
FAVC Man

FAVC - v1.07 (Auto Menu Generation) (19/06/08)

FAVC is a GUI that enables you to easily make DVDs from video files. It takes one, or more, video files and produces a dvd folder ready to be burned to a dvd disc that should play in any regular dvd player. FAVC uses several pieces of free software to accomplish its task.

Features:
Input video files and obtain a DVD folder ready to be burned to a DVD disc.
Automatic file recognition and analysis.
Automatically assigns correct bitrate based on disc size chosen.
Easy chapter creation.
AC3 Retention.
Uses Muxman (Via BatchMux) for DVD Authoring.
Automated Menu Generation for up to 8 Titles.

Requirements:
Must have Avisynth v2.56a or later installed.
Must have .NET framework Version 2 installed.

Instructions:
Open FAVC. Choose your video files, configure the options and then click the generate button. Whilst processing, tasks will run on the task bar and can be watched. The main task is video encoding, which is done by QuEnc or HC. When everything is done you will have a dvd folder in the required directory.

Files:
http://download.videohelp.com/favc/FAVC_107.exe (32 bit) (self-extracting)
http://download.videohelp.com/favc/FAVC_107.zip (32 bit) (zip file)
http://download.videohelp.com/favc/FAVC_107_x64.exe (64 bit) (self-extracting)
http://download.videohelp.com/favc/FAVC_107_x64.zip (64 bit) (zip file)

Source:
http://download.videohelp.com/favc/FAVC_Source_107.zip Source Code (Really Messy!!!)

Homepage:
http://favcfavc.googlepages.com/home

Updates for v1.07:
Updated Aften, DGPulldown, HC, ImgBurn, MediaInfo, Mencoder, MKVToolnix, Muxman, twoLame and FFMpegSource
Improved HC Predictive Quantization Algorithm
Added support for mpg/vob files

Updates for v1.06:
Updated MediaInfo
Fixed HC speed button
Fixed plugin loading for FFmpegSource

Updates for v1.05:
Updated HC, Wavi, MediaInfo
A donate button (Christmas is coming and Mrs_Odwin wants lots of presents)
Incorporation of FFmpegSource

Updates for v1.04:
Vista Compatibility Fixed
Minor GUI Fixes

Updates for v1.03:
New HC encoding mode - Quant Prediction by 2% samples

Updates for v1.02:
Updated twolame & Mediainfo
Small Code Clean
Added a shut down option
Replaced bepipe with wavi
Tweaked Audio handling

Updates for v1.01:
Simple menu preview
A fix for ac3 retention with mkv
A fix for chapter creation
Some slight (mostly not noticeable) menu improvements

Updates for v1.00:
Automated Menu Generation for up to 8 Titles

Last edited by Mr_Odwin; 19th June 2008 at 16:43.
Mr_Odwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 14:48   #2  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

Thanks for posting this work. It looks like a good concept for converting a batch of AVIs directly to a dvd image. I've only tried it once with 4 avis.

The result was a dvd image ready to burn except it only contained one of the avis. I have not spent enough time to know why the others were not included. When I get some time I will try to track the process and report back to you.
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 22:18   #3  |  Link
Mr_Odwin
FAVC Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDogg
Thanks for posting this work. It looks like a good concept for converting a batch of AVIs directly to a dvd image. I've only tried it once with 4 avis.

The result was a dvd image ready to burn except it only contained one of the avis. I have not spent enough time to know why the others were not included. When I get some time I will try to track the process and report back to you.
That would be a great help.
It's my first ever programming project so it's going to be a bit rough round the edges, but I'm using it myself so it meets my needs at least.
I recently updated it to include .vdr support so you can frameserve from vdub/vdubmod.
Old 10th February 2006, 17:41   #4  |  Link
DDogg

Only had a few minutes to investigate, but it looks like there is a problem producing some of the mp2's - Some have 0 size- which cause mplex to fail - thus no MPGs are created.

"**ERROR: [???] Unable to read from C:\Documents and Settings\DDogg\Desktop\FAVC\Working Folder 0\Title2.mp2."

Will try to dig deeper soon.

DD

/ADD - Seems to be failing on those avis with AC3 sound. Imo, you have to support ac3 for this work to be useful to many folks. Hope you will consider it. Wouldn't it actually save you a step or 2 since you just need to demux it, fix it then remux to the mpg?

Several things come to mind:

1> Add a "Do not delete files" tickbox - People may wish to build there own dvd from the files generated using DVD lab, etc.
2> When AC3 is present, keep it and mux it tickbox
3> Perhaps a few additional QuEnc options available? HQ/trellis/2pass - If these options would offer a better quality encoding, and if they would not throw you off your calculated required bitrate.
4> INI file that remembers the ntsc preference

Last edited by DDogg; 11th February 2006 at 20:19.
Old 12th February 2006, 18:44   #5  |  Link
Mr_Odwin
FAVC Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDogg
Only had a few minutes to investigate, but it looks like there is a problem producing some of the mp2's - Some have 0 size- which cause mplex to fail - thus no MPGs are created.

"**ERROR: [???] Unable to read from C:\Documents and Settings\DDogg\Desktop\FAVC\Working Folder 0\Title2.mp2."

Will try to dig deeper soon.

DD

/ADD - Seems to be failing on those avis with AC3 sound. Imo, you have to support ac3 for this work to be useful to many folks. Hope you will consider it. Wouldn't it actually save you a step or 2 since you just need to demux it, fix it then remux to the mpg?

Several things come to mind:

1> Add a "Do not delete files" tickbox - People may wish to build there own dvd from the files generated using DVD lab, etc.
2> When AC3 is present, keep it and mux it tickbox
3> Perhaps a few additional QuEnc options available? HQ/trellis/2pass - If these options would offer a better quality encoding, and if they would not throw you off your calculated required bitrate.
4> INI file that remembers the ntsc preference

Files with ac3 work at my end. The app uses DirectShowSource to open the audio part of files. I chose that as AVISource was giving me problems with some avi files with vbr mp3. I'll certainly look into it more.
The other things you mention were kinda already in the back of my mind as things that would be an improvement.

Old 13th February 2006, 16:04   #6  |  Link
DDogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Odwin
Files with ac3 work at my end. The app uses DirectShowSource to open the audio part of files. I chose that as AVISource was giving me problems with some avi files with vbr mp3. I'll certainly look into it more.
The other things you mention were kinda already in the back of my mind as things that would be an improvement.

Thanks for getting back to me. You mentioned the ac3 works on your end ... two responses to that -

1> I'll need to arrange a method to get you a snip of the file/s that fail. Will contact you a download location via PM. Let me know if you are on dial-up.
2> I assume you mean "working on your end" as converting the ac3 to mp2. I was suggesting you detect the ac3, demux it, and directly remux it back to the pulldown mpv. I am thinking it is sort of a shame to lose the 5.1 soundtrack when it is available. I think there is another step in between, IIRC, to "fix" the ac3. I'm sure somebody here can provide that information. It has been a long while since I was on top of this stuff.

I think you may have a real winner here. Your program is so simple and functional that it is downright elegant. I really do hope you are open to continuing with it.
Old 13th February 2006, 20:13   #7  |  Link
ArchieX

Quote:
to "fix" the ac3. I'm sure somebody here can provide that information
Quick search on Google for AC3Fix.exe (13kb Command line) should help cure that part.

Archie
Old 22nd February 2006, 03:00   #8  |  Link
Matthew
jdgljlfljg

DDogg keeping AC3 involves a bit of grief unless one restricts PAL<->NTSC conversion options, especially with 23.976->25 fps. If one wants to be comprehensive about it then Soft Encode support is required.

Also, MuxMan 0.15 > DVDAuthor, although project file generation is more complex
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 10:38   #9  |  Link
arthurfent2k

Hm,nice work!

Would be great to be able to do a 352/576(480) DVD in order to store more
Old 23rd March 2006, 15:55   #10  |  Link
Mr_Odwin
FAVC Man

Been a while as I've just submitted my thesis, my wife is having a baby soon (end of June), I just got a new job and we're moving to a new house because of the new job. Anyway ... v0.3.0.0 is out and I've tried to get a few things done.

Added:
i) Added config file to remember last used choices
ii) Additional QuEnc video encoding options made available
iii) Option of leaving temporary files undeleted

No ac3 retention yet as that's tricky, but I am getting closer.
Links of the first post have been updated.
Old 17th April 2006, 18:03   #11  |  Link
DDogg

Thanks for this update. It makes the program much more flexible. As mentioned before, I hope you do continue the project when time allows. This is a good solution for many folks that don't want to be bothered with the details, and the resulting quality of the encoding is good.

The only major problem I have encountered is with the authoring. The resulting disks will literally not play on any of my HW players, nor my son-in-law's. As mentioned, they also crash PowerDVD on my system.

Have you taken a recent look at this problem?
Old 27th April 2006, 19:23   #12  |  Link
Fugdefino

I've just tried converting a divx file. Six hours later and it's still stuck at "Analysing Video 0".
Fugdefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2006, 16:57   #13  |  Link
Mr_Odwin
FAVC Man

That's strange as the analysing stage is just a quick pass over 250 frames (or less) using avisynth. It writes some results to a log file and then the encoding options are chosen based on that. Do you have avisynth installed and can it normally open the offending file?
Old 10th May 2006, 00:44   #14  |  Link
Fugdefino

Yes, and I've tried several files now and same problem occurs with all of them.
Fugdefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 10:41   #15  |  Link
Mr_Odwin
FAVC Man

I've updated the links in the first post to to 0.4.0.0 and there should be some significant changes for the better (I hope). Amongst other things the muxing and authoring behaviour has been changed so it should be more compatible with dvd players. Guess it could throw up a load of different trouble though.
Still no ac3 retention, but it shouldn't throw a wobbly anymore when files with ac3 audio are the input.

Last edited by Mr_Odwin; 30th June 2006 at 21:02.
Old 1st July 2006, 15:16   #16  |  Link
Mr_Odwin
FAVC Man

Updated links, Version 0.5.0.0 ahoy! AC3 retention is added, along with extra video resolutions.
Old 25th July 2006, 13:52   #17  |  Link
~bT~
н∂-ƒαиαтιĒ

Ive just downloaded this, gonna give a try. Just wondering if it would be poss in future releases to add subtitle support pls? Thanx for the app.

Last edited by ~bT~; 25th July 2006 at 13:55.
~bT~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 13:26   #18  |  Link
DDogg

Quote:
AC3 retention is added, along with extra video resolutions.
Nice work as always, Mr_Odwin! I'm thinking FAVC may take the dual prize of being one of the best working solutions available as well as one of the most unappreciated (seemingly) application around You really have added some astounding functionality. I hope you continue this project.
Old 31st July 2006, 22:26   #19  |  Link
Holomatrix
Still Kick'n

Seems like a handy little progy if I could get it to work

I get an error right off the bat;
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5055/favchb8.jpg
Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong? Just testing a little AVI file to NTSC DVD conversion. Thanks
Config.ini;
D:\FAVC Output

Last edited by Holomatrix; 31st July 2006 at 22:33.
Holomatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 09:21   #20  |  Link
Mr_Odwin
FAVC Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holomatrix
Seems like a handy little progy if I could get it to work

I get an error right off the bat;
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5055/favchb8.jpg
Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong? Just testing a little AVI file to NTSC DVD conversion. Thanks
Config.ini;
D:\FAVC Output
Do you have avisynth v 2.56a or greater installed? It seems that the first file you are trying to convert isn't being read/opened correctly by avisynth. Does FAVC work correctly with any other avi files?

E.g. This file works perfectly on my computer using FAVC:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FVT1VQSV

Last edited by Mr_Odwin; 1st August 2006 at 09:57.