Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 17th May 2011, 15:09   #3161  |  Link
Andy o

What do you mean with "bitstream" PCM? Do you need your channels to switch automatically (e.g. 7.1 to 5.1, etc)? If so, use ReClock and WASAPI mode.
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 15:09   #3162  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
You might wanna run some tone sweeps (foobar2000 or Audacity can generate them), cause those small satellites match with the sub pretty high up, probably higher than 200Hz. The DTS sample I posted before has pink noise (for checking tone issues between channels) and a sweep that starts around 200Hz, but the sweep is only for the LFE channel. Some standalone subs don't go that high up.
If this is directed at me, I'm not terribly concerned. I mean, we're talking about my bedroom setup. The fact that I have a receiver and 5.1 surround in there at all is pretty sick. But it's nice for watching movies at night. I don't expect it to match my living room setup.
Old 17th May 2011, 15:12   #3163  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltron View Post
Quick question WRT to bitstreaming.

Dolby and DTS stuff all bitstream great with LAV Splitter/Audio. MKV's with PCM however don't. Is this normal?

I use latest MPC-HC, LAV Splitter/Audio, madVR, ATI 5670 HDMI. I use MKVs exclusively.

Thanks.
If by bitstream PCM you mean exclusive mode, then you're correct. PCM is sent through Windows Audio. However, that depends on your audio renderer not the decoder, so, you need an audio renderer that can use exclusive mode to bypass the Windows Audio settings. ReClock is one such audio renderer.
Old 17th May 2011, 15:49   #3164  |  Link
bjd

Quote:
PS: What audio formats will LAV audio decoder allow Arcsoft audio decoder to use? Is it just limited to DTS-MA?
LAV is happy pumping out DTS 96/24 as well using the Arcsoft Decoder. If the status tab shows 24bit int for the decode/output, you are utilising the Arcsoft Decoder. 32bit float means ffmpeg
Old 17th May 2011, 15:53   #3165  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

All DTS formats will be decoded by the ArcSoft decoder if its installed.
Old 17th May 2011, 16:04   #3166  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
Hi Andy,

I have great news. I know we've had our differences in the past; however, I was hoping we can call it truce and try to repair our relationship by extending an olive branch... offering a pre-release MpegDemux.ax which sounds like you may be very interested in. This build is only hours old. I was given permission to share this demux for people who needed it. I've been working directly with the developer at sageTV who appears to be responsible for all code changes made to MpegDemux.ax. This demux should hopefully be included in the next sageTV beta.

This pre-release version of sageTV demux is now fullly compatible with Arcsoft Audio Decode HD (full support for DTS-MA/TrueHD decoding without a hitch). In addition to that, it now also supports LAV Audio Decoder's TrueHD. If you have the arcsoft audio decoder package installed, all you have to do it tell sageTV to enable HD audio support and specify a single audio decoder: Arcsoft Audio HD. If you dont have arcsoft, you can at least have TrueHD audio decoding via LAV Audio decoder. My sageTV client has it's internal demuxing off; everything but bluray audio formats (and I think TV).

You might have noticed an earlier post from me today playing back a sample 7.1/96khz m2ts file directly in sageTV.

I got the same result no matter which container I used . I also had the same results with DTS-MA. Of course, it also works just as great with blu-ray discs/iso's as well on on my extender.

Here's the file:
http://hotfile.com/dl/117954203/045f397/MpegDeMux.zip

I've only tested this with TMT3 standalone decoder package (doesn't require to install the entire player just to be able to have access to the audio filter... only a small change in the Windows win.ini file:

1) Open up C:\Windows\win.ini in notepad.
2) Add the following text to the end:
Code:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ArcSoft\MPEG Codec\Decoder Setting\]
AudioOutputMode=6
AudioDynamicRange=1

3) Change the numbers to match the settings you prefer.

Code:

AudioDynamicRange:
0: Light
1: Normal
2: Threaded

AudioOutputMode:
0,1,2,5: Stereo
6,13: 5.1 Channels
17: 7.1 Channels
16: S/PDIF

Sincerely,
MKANET
As expected the splitter works fine @ seeking but it fails on some of the more (exotic) .ts so in those regards it's no competition (Mainconcept Demuxer code based)

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 17th May 2011 at 16:10.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 17:07   #3167  |  Link
clsid

When you implement channel downmixing, can you add an option to boost the volume of the center channel?

A common problem with downmixing 5.1 AC3 (and probably other formats as well) to stereo is that the volume level of the sounds that originate from the center channel (typically voices) are way too low compared to the volume levels of the sounds coming from other channels.
Old 17th May 2011, 17:12   #3168  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

If possible, i would ask the decoder to downmix AC3, as it usually carrys special matrix information how to downmix into stereo.

Anyhow, i won't be doing downmixing yet, i rather work on improving sound quality, rather then destroying it.
Old 17th May 2011, 17:45   #3169  |  Link
Boltron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
If by bitstream PCM you mean exclusive mode, then you're correct. PCM is sent through Windows Audio. However, that depends on your audio renderer not the decoder, so, you need an audio renderer that can use exclusive mode to bypass the Windows Audio settings. ReClock is one such audio renderer.
Ah, I will try it with ReClock then. Thank you.
Boltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 18:02   #3170  |  Link
mkanet

Hi Nav, I think I must be missing something very fundamental here; or maybe not doing something right. I just tried testing LAV splitter/ LAV audio (version .26) with dtsdecoderdll.dll for the first time. For some reason I only see the new DTS, DTS-HD under SPDIF/HDMI. I dont see them under "Formats" section. I have no problems making a filtergraph for TrueHD, AC3, and everything else in the "Formats" section of the LAV audio filter prop screens. But I can't use LAV audio filter for DTS-MA.

I've been using Arcsoft Audio Decoder HD (ASAudioHD.ax) using the other method with win.ini to decode all possible audio formats (including dolby digital plus) at 24 bit/48kz (and above) to my 5.1 analog speakers.

Thanks,
-MKANET
mkanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 18:10   #3171  |  Link
Andy o

If "dca" is enabled in the LAV Audio options and the Arcsoft dll is in the LAV folder, then it should be working. You can double check in the LAV Audio status tab. It should say "dts" or some variant depending of the audio of course. If it says "dca" then it's not using Arcsoft.
Old 17th May 2011, 18:21   #3172  |  Link
Gleb Egorych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
I play mostly hd mkv-files with dts sound or dolby digital. The resampeling to 48Khz in ffdshow seems like a nice postproccessing feture that should give audio a boost.
I think for the purposes there is no point to switch from ffdshow to LAV Audio.

Resampling itself does not improve audio quality, in some cases it helps to workaround bugs in audio drivers or hardware.
Gleb Egorych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 18:27   #3173  |  Link
mkanet

Thanks, its now able to decode. In Win.ini, I used to set speaker output to 5.1. IIRC, Nav mentioned that Win.ini isn't necessary anymore. How do I set speaker configuration to 5.1 then? Also, is there an option for Dolby digital plus decoding? I have all the checkboxes now selected under formats. No big deal if its not supported, just curious, since that format is also supported under Arcsoft Audio Decoder HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
If "dca" is enabled in the LAV Audio options and the Arcsoft dll is in the LAV folder, then it should be working. You can double check in the LAV Audio status tab. It should say "dts" or some variant depending of the audio of course. If it says "dca" then it's not using Arcsoft.
Old 17th May 2011, 18:30   #3174  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Thanks, its now able to decode. In Win.ini, I used to set speaker output to 5.1. IIRC, Nav mentioned that Win.ini isn't necessary anymore. How do I set speaker configuration to 5.1 then? Also, is there an option for Dolby digital plus decoding? I have all the checkboxes now selected under formats. No big deal if its not supported, just curious, since that format is also supported under Arcsoft Audio Decoder HD.
You can add ffdshow audio processor to downmix to 5.1. Don't confuse decoding with playing, as there is a marked difference between the two. You WANT the full number of channels decoded properly. Then you want to downmix that to whatever number of channels you want. I recommend NOT allowing windows audio to do that. You could force it through ReClock and have it handle it for you. Use ReClock as the audio renderer and then you can set it for 5.1.
Old 17th May 2011, 18:53   #3175  |  Link
mkanet

Hmm... I thought that arcsoft audio decoder did the downmixing (set in win.ini)... originally a registry setting for the TMT player) in addition to decoding audio.
AudioOutputMode=13
AudioDynamicRange=1

I already use reclock WASAPI. It seems like one of the other dlls in the arcsoft codec folder might be handling the downmixing part.

Quote:
You can add ffdshow audio processor to downmix to 5.1. Don't confuse decoding with playing, as there is a marked difference between the two. You WANT the full number of channels decoded properly. Then you want to downmix that to whatever number of channels you want. I recommend NOT allowing windows audio to do that. You could force it through ReClock and have it handle it for you. Use ReClock as the audio renderer and then you can set it for 5.1.
Old 17th May 2011, 19:02   #3176  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Hmm... I thought that arcsoft audio decoder did the downmixing (set in win.ini)... originally a registry setting for the TMT player) in addition to decoding audio.
AudioOutputMode=13
AudioDynamicRange=1

I already use reclock WASAPI. It seems like one of the other dlls in the arcsoft codec folder might be handling the downmixing part.
You can allow the ArcSoft decoder to do the downmixing using the settings you're referring to. I don't agree that it's the right thing to do, however. I think it really belongs to post processing or the renderer to do the downmixing. Decoding, in my mind, should always JUST decode. And provide post processing and/or the renderer with unaltered, decoded audio. Period. That's just my opinion and is what LAV Audio currently does.
Old 17th May 2011, 19:07   #3177  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The ArcSoft DirectShow component controlled the downmixing. Those settings have no effect on LAV Audio.
Old 17th May 2011, 19:23   #3178  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
If the content is 5.1, you'll get 5.1 out of the Arcsoft decoder, and for stereo you'll get stereo. The "7.1" setting is for max channels, but it doesn't always output 7.1. It works that way with TMT3 too, actually, and I presume TMT5 as well.

For actual 7.1 content, you can downmix either with Windows (when you set the mixer to 5.1) or with your receiver. The Windows mixer allows to even set 2 "virtual" surround backs, so you can do that, which is better than just setting it to 5.1.
Old 17th May 2011, 19:25   #3179  |  Link
Mercury_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
When you implement channel downmixing, can you add an option to boost the volume of the center channel?

A common problem with downmixing 5.1 AC3 (and probably other formats as well) to stereo is that the volume level of the sounds that originate from the center channel (typically voices) are way too low compared to the volume levels of the sounds coming from other channels.
+1 but for all channels (volume controls for each channel like in FFDshow)
Old 17th May 2011, 19:26   #3180  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
You can allow the ArcSoft decoder to do the downmixing using the settings you're referring to. I don't agree that it's the right thing to do, however. I think it really belongs to post processing or the renderer to do the downmixing. Decoding, in my mind, should always JUST decode. And provide post processing and/or the renderer with unaltered, decoded audio. Period. That's just my opinion and is what LAV Audio currently does.
There are metadata for proper downmixing in the DTS and Dolby codecs though, and once you've already decoded, it would be hard for the post-processor or renderer to downmix as the encoder intended. I don't see real-world problems with just letting Windows downmix though, but then you have to ditch WASAPI exclusive.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter