Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 26th July 2003, 09:14   #1  |  Link
DVDRFreak

Nero Recode 0.90 beta

Just downloaded the latest Nero version 6.

There is a transcoder in it wich allows transcoding of a disc to Harddisc or directly to CD.

It is possible to deselect audio or even complete titles.

Running a test right now to see what the quality/speed is.

Result

Encoding time: 00:45:45
Original 6.35 GB

Copy 4.36 GB

I did a full disk width a compression level of 74% for main movie and about 52% for extras (standard values that Nero recode comes widt when analysing is finished)

There is a bug that the AUDIO_TS folder is removed and the VIDEO_TS folder is in upper/lower case (e.g. VideoTS). The result is that my software player did not recognize the disk after renaming to uppercase all was fine and I could play.

Navigation:
Fast forward / Backward works fine, no hangups in powerDVD like I had with InstantCopy.

Quality:
I still should do some more testing to comparee them to DVDshrink/CCE for example.
My first impression is not bad there is some pixelation and there are some macro blocks but i did not notice yet the anoying flashing effect. Still need to see what the result is when I burn it and try to play it on my TV.
This is a first impression I want to see what happens when I only rip the movie. Or what it will do if I take a action packed movie widt a lot of high speed motion in it.

VTS sectors:
Are OK. Nero corrected them.

Layer-Breaks:
They are not removed.

Average Bitrate comparison (Bitrate viewer):
Original:
Birtate: 4871
Q level: 8.28

Copy:
Bitrate: 3754
Q level: 7.44

Last edited by DVDRFreak; 26th July 2003 at 10:26.
DVDRFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2003, 17:56   #2  |  Link
SniperKilla

yep i tested just now also, heres some screenshots for people that havent tested yet... i tested on the perfect storm, which is 8gb in size..

http://members.verizon.net/~vze4dt3c...ro-options.JPG

http://members.verizon.net/~vze4dt3c...o-finished.JPG

and heres the property page for the resulting files..

http://members.verizon.net/~vze4dt3c/nero/nero-size.JPG

hit 4.36 right on the nose...

and heres a screen cap of the movie running in nvdvd

http://members.verizon.net/~vze4dt3c/nero/FTP05.jpg

all in all, nice results, for a first release...

you can remove whatever features you want, i like that, and you can replace them with a image of your choosing, so you can have like a FEATURE REMOVED image....

not bad at all tho
SniperKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2003, 20:01   #3  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

hmm.. is it just me or does this look a lot like dvd shrink? The selection menu
DVD
- Menus
- Main movie
- Extras
is just the same, and then we have the well-known sizebar. Makes one wonder, doesn't it? (btw, I'm not meaning to say ahead stole any code, I think they're above that, but maybe someone licensed the engine and made some improvements.
Old 26th July 2003, 22:36   #4  |  Link
Richk50

"hmm.. is it just me or does this look a lot like dvd shrink?"

Exactly what I was thinking. Wouldn't it be great if DVDShrink made some money out of all his hard work.
Richk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2003, 23:59   #5  |  Link
DVDRFreak

Same feeling over here.

Only the result is better i.m.o.
The sizing is exactly 4.36 GB and the quality is quit impressive.

Did run another test on a music video (6.5 GB compression level 67%).
Used the profiles to build a custom profile that keeps everything and sizes the DVD equally. I love the idea of profiles so I can build different ones for music/movie/episode DVD's this is realy great.

The video contains a multi angle clip that is very hard on transcoders (flashing backgrounds/macro blocks that make it unwatchable when I used DVDshrink 2.3/CloneDVD). The result from this proggie is very impressive (read almost the same result as the CCE re-encode I did). The only difference is that there are a few macro blocks but the are hardly noticable when playing the video.

The only thing that is missing is the reauthor function so I can do movie only. I can strip the menus and everything else but this will result in a DVD showing the picture I selected for stripped contents where the menu's used to be.

This proggie is impressive for a first release. I think that with a little work it could become a winner.
Old 27th July 2003, 01:14   #6  |  Link
valnar

Does anyone know if the transcoding is even all the way through (ala DVD2One or DVD95Copy), or does it dig deeper into the structure like IC?

I've been waiting for an IC killer (quality-wise). Nothing else matters, not even speed.

-Robert
valnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2003, 02:47   #7  |  Link
quantum

How are you supposed to remove a title? I see sniperkilla's screenshot shows extras at zero percent. I can't get my size below %47.

Hopefully this app is headed in the right direction, and can compete with the quality of IC7. I look forward to saying buh-bye to IC7 forever, not that I use it much anyway.

Last edited by quantum; 27th July 2003 at 03:19.
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2003, 03:32   #8  |  Link
SniperKilla

i clicked on the extras folder, and clicked disable on the right, and it disabled all extras and the slider went to 0%

you can do the same for individual extras if you want to keeps some
SniperKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2003, 04:09   #9  |  Link
quantum

Yes I did that. The extras don't go to zero. It seems to deselect the audio in the extras but otherwise the percent bar stays the same and it's not being subtracted from the overall compilation. I've tried two different disks with a bunch of different extras and it's the same thing.
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2003, 05:35   #10  |  Link
dragongodz

well i dont like to spread rumours but i did hear that dvdshrink was flown over to have a meeting with the guys at ahead and they offered him a job.

so if any of you guys that are in contact with him would like to get him to confirm or deny that it may shed some light on it.
dragongodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2003, 10:33   #11  |  Link
DVDRFreak

You can disable the extra's or just one title by pressing the disable button when you have selected the title or a complete tree. Tested it on a few DVD's now and it works perfectly.

You can also disable menu's in the same way if you make a custom profile (or modify the default profile) in such a way that you allow the menu's to be transcoded.

This profile option works great I made two for testing:
One that keeps everything and compresses everythin equally (for music DVD).
One that keeps all titles and just one sound track/subtitle and compresses the extra's more than the main movie (for movies)

The only thing that is missing (or I did not find it yet) is to be able to make a profile that just transcodes the main movie only.
Old 27th July 2003, 11:41   #12  |  Link
t1955feb

nero 6

Are your dvd's working on a standalone player, mine not....
Old 27th July 2003, 12:08   #13  |  Link
DVDRFreak

Re: nero 6

Quote:
Originally posted by t1955feb
Are your dvd's working on a standalone player, mine not....
They work if you transcode to harddisk first and then burn with the standard DVD video option in nero.

Nero re-code has a bug that it names the VIDEO_TS folder like Video_TS and forgets to create an empty AUDIO_TS folder.

I hope this will be solved in a next (final) version.
Old 27th July 2003, 13:20   #14  |  Link
roach76

The 'AUDIO_TS' folder is not required for DVD Video movies. "The Matrix (PAL)" has no 'AUDIO_TS' folder.
roach76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2003, 14:20   #15  |  Link
dragongodz

well i have been informed that dvdshrink(the person) is working for ahead now indeed and did work on the recode module. so it is not surprising that it looks like dvdshrink(the program).
dragongodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2003, 14:30   #16  |  Link
mrbass

Quote:
Originally posted by dragongodz
well i have been informed that dvdshrink(the person) is working for ahead now indeed and did work on the recode module. so it is not surprising that it looks like dvdshrink(the program).
yep I believe it....now it all makes sense. I wonder if Nero 6 will come bundled with the new lite-on 4X DVD+R burners..hmmm.
Old 27th July 2003, 15:04   #17  |  Link
Fat Bast'rd

Quote:
Originally posted by DVDRFreak
You can disable the extra's or just one title by pressing the disable button when you have selected the title or a complete tree. Tested it on a few DVD's now and it works perfectly.
Strange, but it doesn't seem to show that you've pressed the 'Disable' button once you've pressed it. Oh well, there's always version 2...
Old 27th July 2003, 15:37   #18  |  Link
MackemX
..DVD GOD..

is this feature in the so called fully featured demo?
MackemX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2003, 15:50   #19  |  Link
DVDRFreak

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Bast'rd
Strange, but it doesn't seem to show that you've pressed the 'Disable' button once you've pressed it. Oh well, there's always version 2...
It does show that you pressed it. The slider goes to 0% and the disable button becomes an enable button.
Old 27th July 2003, 15:51   #20  |  Link
DVDRFreak

Quote:
Originally posted by MackemX
is this feature in the so called fully featured demo?
Yes its is. You must install nero vision package, this includes nero recode.