Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th October 2005, 01:00   #21  |  Link
Joe Fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug Funky
holographic displays sound good. would these also be in colour? i guess they could be, but i've yet to see a colour hologram (do they exist?).

imagine the GPU you'd need to play "doom 9" in true 3d...
I read an article about someone doing something similar to what I proposed in their lab using a standard helium-neon laser (red). You'd need a separate laser and grating for each color, which definitely adds to the complexity. At least they finally have solid state blue lasers now, so all your lasers can be the solid state variety. Given the size of LCoS, I suppose you could put all three color gratings on the same die. That would certainly aid in convergence issues.

Full color holograms (using film) do exist. I saw a setup using gas lasers for color holography at Texas Tech some years back. They make the hologram in three steps exactly the way they make monochrome holograms - one exposure per color. Then you just beam the proper color laser through the proper color film and make sure it all lines up right... It certainly isn't ready for use with "live" settings.

Holograms mostly involve fourier calculations, so you'd need something that did FFT at a high rate. I think modern GPUs and DSPs are fast enough to at least start working on these displays. I've seen software for synthetic holograms that drive film recorders, but it wasn't real-time. Someone will make it real-time in the next decade I'm certain.
Joe Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2005, 02:25   #22  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

that kinda reminds me of those helio<SP?> displays I saw a while back...
Shinigami-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2005, 04:05   #23  |  Link
Joe Fenton

http://www.io2technology.com/

It isn't 3D - it's projecting a normal 2D display onto ionized air. Combine an Ionic Breeze air purifier with a projection TV and that's what you got.
Old 30th October 2005, 04:14   #24  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama

lol
it says it has 3d capability on that site, my hardware was going on about them for a while for no appernt reason a while back o.O
Old 30th October 2005, 04:29   #25  |  Link
Joe Fenton

All 2D displays are "3D capable"... with a set of LCD glasses or even those color filters over each eye. They aren't "true" 3D.
Old 30th October 2005, 06:10   #26  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama

it said they wern't required when I was reading that page a few days ago, at least Im prety sure it said that <.<
either way, you wouldn't complain if someone gave you one eh?
Old 31st October 2005, 04:56   #27  |  Link
Joe Fenton

Heck no! I'll take fifteen or twenty, thank you!

There have been some advances in simulated 3D on 2D displays... mostly in the LCD field. It could be that the IO2 folks have been working on that as well. It's a little hard to separate the marketing from the fact with the IO2 since it's still in the demo phase. I'm witholding final judgement until some third-party gets one to test and does a nice article on it.
Old 25th September 2018, 09:26   #28  |  Link
jackrichart

I give up using Mac for now

best air purifiers|best large room air purifiers|best air purifiers for office|best air purifiers for bedroom|best air purifiers for allergies|best air purifiers for pets|best air purifiers for mold|best air purifiers for dust|best air purifiers for baby

Last edited by jackrichart; 2nd February 2020 at 09:42.
jackrichart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2018, 06:11   #29  |  Link
Audionut

It took a year and a half to add some commentary, and you choose a 13 year old thread.
Old 26th September 2018, 06:48   #30  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Does this mean we're not getting high-definition CRTs after all?
Old 28th September 2018, 07:41   #31  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Rule 18: Forum needs new posts.

I just retired a 2001-era Trinitron, because the owner was becoming so nearsighted he couldn't even make out DOS text!
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote