Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 1st December 2005, 20:24   #1  |  Link
Barns66

Another file size problem with Gordian Knot

Hi guys.
I have read up on all associated problems concerning file sizes but none seem to match the 1 i am experiancing with Gordian Knot.
Most peoples problems concerning final file size are only out by a small amount where as i am finishing with files of 619MB when they should be 700MB!

I have tried all the obvious, reinstalled XviD codec, (numerous times) set to default settings, reinstalled Gordian Knot and all associated programs from the rip pack. Still no joy. Every time the 1st pass goes OK but when it goes to run 2nd pass it recalculates the finished .avi to 619MB.

Whats strange is that Auto GK works fine and gives perfect file sizes everytime. I do prefer the flexibility of the full Gordian Knot though so need to find the problem.

I'm sure you will ask for log files but as i don't seem to have any still from my recent trials i will have to encode another effort and i will paste the log here later if it will help.

Gordian Knot shows everything is setup for a 700mb rip but at the 2nd pass always decreases the size. This isn't a problem i have always had and only up untill recently everything was fine i just don't understand why even after the reinstalling of everything this persists. My suspision lies with Vdub but i am unsure.

Thanks for any advice you can give in pointing me in the right direction.
Barns66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2005, 21:16   #2  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Did you first uninstall XviD before you reinstalled it? Do that first if you haven't.

Under the Options tab in GordianKnot, click the XviD default codec settings First Pass button, then set the Profile @ Level to (unrestricted). Repeat for Second Pass.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2005, 22:05   #3  |  Link
Barns66

Yep i uninstalled the XviD codec 1st b4 reinstalling. Not sure if i rebooted between though. (if i should have)

My profile setting i use is AS @ L5 i havn't tried unrestricted but will give it a go.
At the moment i am running an encode so i can paste the log but didn't get your post until i started so it is still at L5.
Will be sure to try it next though. I thought unrestricted was more likly to cause standalone compatibility issues. I'm prolly wrong about that.

I use the guide at http://www.rita.lt/guides/GKnot_DVDtoAVI.htm
as my basic guidelines. Although maybe changing from simple LO in the settings (as the guide shows) was when the problem started to occur. I think i changed to AS @ L5 after reading a guide on this site on the best XviD codec setting.
This could be the problem.

I also wonder if it is essential to run a compresibility test as i don't always do so. The guide i refer to sugests it's not essential.

Thanks for your advice so far.
Old 1st December 2005, 23:29   #4  |  Link
Barns66

Code:
Options:
Quality/DRF:        0
CreditsStart:       0
UseEcf:             1
CreditsIVTC:        0
CreditsAppend:      0
DeleteInterm.:      0
EnforceBitrate:     0
AntiShit:           0

Calculator:
VideoSize:          601481 kbyte.
Audio1Size:         108796 kbyte.
Audio2Size:         0 kbyte.
Overhead:           6521 kbyte.
AviSize:            716800 kbyte (700 mbyte).
FilesSize:          0 kbyte.
TotalSize:          716800 kbyte (700 mbyte).
Interleaving:       vbrmp3
Bitrate:            708 k(=1000)Bits/s
Frames:             166944
FPS:                23.976
Duration:           156:3
Quality:            0.188 bits/(pixel*frame).
CompCheck3:         0.000 bits/(pixel*frame).
CompCheck5:         0.156 bits/(pixel*frame).
Resolution:         544 x 288

Audio 1:            
Mode:               ac3 -> mp3
SourceFile:         C:\Documents and Settings\mm2 AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3
WavFile:            C:\Documents and Settings\mm2 AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.wav
Mp3File:            C:\Documents and Settings\mm2 AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.mp3
OggFile:            C:\Documents and Settings\mm2 AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.ogg
OggQuality:         0.200
OggLanguage:        English
Azid:               -L -3db -s stereo -c normal
Lame:               --alt-preset 128
Delay:              0
Interval:           1
Preload:            500
Mux:                1
Recalc:             1
DeleteWav:          1

Audio 2:            
none.               

20:29:54: Started Transcoding Audio.

20:29:54: Using "BeSweet" to transcode C:\Documents and Settings\mm2 AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3
CommandLine: "D:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "C:\Documents and Settings\mm2 AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3" -output "C:\mm2 AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.mp3" -logfile "C:\Documents and Settings\MTM2\mm2 AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.log" ) -ota( -hybridgain ) -azid( -L -3db -s stereo -c normal )  -lame( --alt-preset 128 )
20:43:16: Finished. Duration: 13 minutes, 21 seconds.

20:43:16: Audio Done.
20:43:16: MP3-File-Size is 112505 kb.
20:43:16: Audio 1, determined:     112505 kb
20:43:16: Audio 1, calc:           108796 kb
20:43:16: New Bitrate for Movie = 703 k(=1000)Bits/s

Adding this script to D:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\VirtualDubMod\LastJob.vcf :

// $job "XviD First Pass"
// $input "C:\
// $output "C:\
// $state 0
// $start_time 0 0
// $end_time 0 0
// $script

VirtualDub.Open("C:\
VirtualDub.video.SetDepth(24,24);
VirtualDub.video.SetMode(1);
VirtualDub.video.SetFrameRate(0,1);
VirtualDub.video.SetIVTC(0,0,-1,0);
VirtualDub.video.SetRange(0,0);
VirtualDub.video.SetCompression(0x64697678,0,10000,0);
VirtualDub.video.SetCompData(3264,"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");
VirtualDub.video.filters.Clear();
VirtualDub.subset.Delete();
VirtualDub.SaveAVI("C:\
VirtualDub.Close();

// $endjob
//
//--------------------------------------------------
// $done

20:43:16: Started   Xvid - First Pass: C:\
21:57:58: Finished  Xvid - First Pass: Duration: 1 hour, 14 minutes, 40 seconds.
21:57:58: Trying to open Log-file.
21:57:58: Success: Log-file open.
21:57:58: Encoded:  166944 Frames.
21:57:58: Speed:    37.259 Frames per Second.
21:57:59: New target size =    597774 Kb

Adding this script to D:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\VirtualDubMod\LastJob.vcf :

// $job "XviD Second Pass"
// $input "C:\
// $output "C:\
// $state 0
// $start_time 0 0
// $end_time 0 0
// $script

VirtualDub.Open("C:\\Documents and Settings\\MTM2\\mm2.avs",0,0);
VirtualDub.video.SetDepth(24,24);
VirtualDub.video.SetMode(1);
VirtualDub.video.SetFrameRate(0,1);
VirtualDub.video.SetIVTC(0,0,-1,0);
VirtualDub.video.SetRange(0,0);
VirtualDub.video.SetCompression(0x64697678,0,10000,0);
VirtualDub.video.SetCompData(3264,"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");
VirtualDub.video.filters.Clear();
VirtualDub.subset.Delete();
VirtualDub.SaveAVI("C:\
VirtualDub.Close();

I have just edited path/file names. The rest is, as is.
As you can see the latest test resulted in an even smaller file size on pass 2.
597mb
I will now try changing profile setting to see if it fixes it.

Update:
Just ran it again and with the profile setting you sugested and it had the same problem when running 2nd pass again. Exactly the same recalculated size.

"02:25:46: Finished Xvid - First Pass: Duration: 1 hour, 34 minutes, 31 seconds.
02:25:46: Trying to open Log-file.
02:25:46: Success: Log-file open.
02:25:46: Encoded: 166943 Frames.
02:25:46: Speed: 29.434 Frames per Second.
02:25:47: New target size = 593373 Kb"

1 thing in the log does look strange to me but for 1 reason or another it wont display when i paste it here (char count i guess) so here's a screenshot instead of the part of the log i mean.

This is why i said i thought maybe a VDubMod prob as i don't think all those "A"s and other charcters are supposed to be dissplayed like that. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Every log does that.
Really stuck for ideas now and to what has caused it and even more so why reinstalling won't fix it. EVERY rip resizes by at least 80MB on 2nd pass.

Last edited by Barns66; 2nd December 2005 at 04:01.
Old 4th December 2005, 16:09   #5  |  Link
manono

Hi-

Most peoples problems concerning final file size are only out by a small amount where as i am finishing with files of 619MB when they should be 700MB!

Is that with the audio? It's the complete muxed AVI?

Your log seems to be OK. The projected video file size of 593373 Kb is OK. In addition to that there's also the audio size and the interleaving. Did the video reach that size? One thing with XviD is that you don't need to check the "Calculate Frame Overhead" box in the Bitrate Tab. You only do that with DivX. But for your movie that's only 4 MB or so, and doesn't account for your shortfall. I might suggest that you've already reached max quality for your settings, and especially your resolution. How did you happen to choose that resolution? There's a very good chance that you could have used a higher resolution, and filled up the CD. That's why it's always a good idea to run the Compression Test beforehand. It'll tell you if your chosen resolution is the correct one. I would guess that you have a pretty compressible movie and can't reach the chosen file size, but only a Compression Test will tell you that for sure.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2005, 06:51   #6  |  Link
Barns66

Thanks for your reply manono and i will try and answer your points the best i can.

Yes that is the file size i end up with, with the muxed audio. Complete file size is the problem.
Probably the most important point to remember from the example i put up is that it is just that. An example. I didn't go thru the process of setting the best settings as i knew what was going to happen (another small file) The log is just to show the file size problems i have with ALL rips regardless of what i set them to. As i said this just seemed to happen overnight. 1 day i was getting perfectly sized rips the next very undersized.
You say the projected file size is OK @ 593373 Kb but i have set it to 700MB not 590MB which is the result of what i am getting at the moment.
If this was a 1 off rip with 1 DVD i would agree that indeed it probably is the max i can get but this happens Everytime with all DVDs and i know for certain there is a problem concerned.
I must point out again that the log provided was purly an example of the problem i am getting and not specific to 1 DVD.

I NEVER check "calculate frame-overhead" as i know that with XviD you shouldn't from following the guide on http://www.rita.lt/guides/GKnot_DVDtoAVI.htm So that shouldn't be the problem.

You say maybe i should use a higher res to get more file size but i always use the guide of... "IMPORTANT:
What you are generally looking for is to adjust the Width x Height to values which will make the Bits/(Pixel*Frame) value approx. 0.2 for 1CD and 0.27 for 2CDs." from the above mentioned site. 0.2 Bits/(Pixel*Frame) is what always determines my res. Or as close to it as possible. Is this wrong??
I do understand that that is a rough number but in the past it has always given me great results by doing this. 1CD (0.2) and 2CD (0.27)
Could this really be the cause of my problem?

I'm not sure if it's good that the log rings true or not. i was hoping something would point out the problem and rather hoped it was a small mistake i was making. It seems that it is something more so than that though judging by your reply.
Thanks for your reply concerning the comptest value , that is something i was wondering about and i will indeed make sure i pay more attention to it in future. That is, if i can ever get GK to give me a proper file size again.

If you or anyone else that thinks they can help i can stick another DVD in and provide more logs for you. All of which i am certain will result in small files again. (alas)

Surly there must be a simple explanation to this quandary? It's driving me nuts and i know the software can work really fantastic. I just can't understand why i am now having this problem and my limited knowledge stops me from solving it myself.

Plz guys help me out here. I will provide more logs if needed.
I'm stumped.

Last edited by Barns66; 5th December 2005 at 07:44.
Old 5th December 2005, 10:25   #7  |  Link
manono

Hi-

You say the projected file size is OK @ 593373 Kb but i have set it to 700MB not 590MB which is the result of what i am getting at the moment.

I said the projected Video size (before the Audio is added) was that. If you're not getting that, then there are 2 possible reasons. One is the one that CWR03 mentioned earlier about uninstalling. I know you said you've done that several times. There's a chance you switched core builds at some point, and pieces were left over. You might try and uninstall again, and before reinstalling, do a search for xvid.dll and xvid.ax, and if you find them, delete them as well before reinstalling XviD. Also, uninstalling and reinstalling GKnot itself has cured many strange problems.

However, until you run a compress test coming in at below 90% or so, you won't convince me that you don't have an especially compressible movie. What is it, by the way? Is it well known? Maybe someone else around here has worked with it and can offer some advice. Or maybe run the same movie through AutoGK to see what resolution it decides is best for your movie. 2-pass, 128 MP3 audio, and let it choose the resolution.

You say maybe i should use a higher res to get more file size but i always use the guide of... "IMPORTANT:

What you are generally looking for is to adjust the Width x Height to values which will make the Bits/(Pixel*Frame) value approx. 0.2 for 1CD and 0.27 for 2CDs."

Yes, but those are just guidelines, and don't work for all movies.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote