Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 15th March 2005, 13:20   #1  |  Link
elpedro

large file sizes when saving edited videos

Hey all,

I used avsedit to add a small border around my video so I can see all the video (since I don't know any other way to deal with the safe area/zone) but when I went to virtualdubmod to get the video and audio files I started getting 220mb for the audio wav file and 22gb for the video avi file. What the heck is going on? Before I added the border I would get like 64mb for the audio wav file and 700mb for the video avi file.

This is the line I added for the avsedit:
bicubicresize(656,448,-0.2,0.6)
addborders(24,16,24,16)

And I used the avs file from avsedit as the open file in virtualdubmod... not sure if this thread should be under here or avisyth but I guess I had to choose one.

If anyone can help me, I would be very grateful.
elpedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2005, 14:57   #2  |  Link

In VirtualDub you have to select output compression via the Video/Compression and Audio/Compression menus. Otherwise, you'll get uncompressed output (e.g., uncompressed RGB for video) and that is very large.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2005, 15:48   #3  |  Link
elpedro

ic... what should I set the compression(audio/video) to if I using the programs in this guide (http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249135) or does it matter... this seems odd to me that I have to do this now, didn't have to do this selection before when I split the audio and video from avi files, why is that?

oh sorry one more thing... how do I get to the audio compression settings? went to the help file in virtualdubmod but it doesn't tell you how to get to it.

Last edited by elpedro; 15th March 2005 at 15:56.
Old 15th March 2005, 15:57   #4  |  Link

That guide says to use direct stream copy in VirtualDubMod, so you won't want to set output compression in VirtualDub. So it depends on what your AVS script is delivering to VirtualDubMod. What does the File/Information box say about that?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2005, 16:12   #5  |  Link
elpedro

is this what you are refering to? *file attached

{edit)
not sure if the image of the file information window was uploaded... Im not seeing it but it says it is sooo :S... but what are you looking for in the file information window?
Attached Images

Last edited by elpedro; 15th March 2005 at 16:16.