Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th July 2011, 20:11   #9021  |  Link
Plutotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

I've disabled the VC-1 decoder because I consider the Microsoft VC-1 decoder superior to libav/ffmpeg and Intel at the moment. If (and when) that changes, I will modify the default settings accordingly. My h264/MPEG2 decoder implementations should compare well to any other (free) h264/MPEG2 decoders out there, and they seem to be stable now, too, so that's why I enabled them by default. madVR has a rather low merit, though, so madVR's internal decoders shouldn't force themselves upon you. You can still easily prefer external decoders over madVR's internal ones, even if they are enabled.
Just a hint - noticed, if you enable the madVR internal decoders and let ffdshow as preffered external video decoder ( you want to use ffdshow ), the CPU usage doubles. So it looks like the internal decoders are still on, inspite of the fact they should be blocked by the ffdshow video decoder, if ffdshow video decoder is set to prefer in the external filter list. Could you pls test this?
Old 27th July 2011, 21:42   #9022  |  Link
Plutotype

Hi madshi,

As I have reported A/V sync issues ( I hate them ) yesterday, my doubts were only about A/V issues which I experienced when I was seeking in the timeline. Today, I did some tests with madVR internal decoders and ffdshow 3949 and compared their behaviour when seeking in the timeline. Better said, I was focusing on lipsync, when I jumped to a different point in the movie and then watched the A/V sync:

ffdshow video 3949:
MPEG2 - no A/V issues ( libavcodec )
VC-1 - occasional A/V issues ( libavcodec ), but no A/V issues with wmv9
H.264 - no A/V issues ( libavcodec )

madVR 0.71 internal decoders:
MPEG2 - no A/V issues ( libavcodec )
VC-1 - no A/V issues ( libavcodec )
H.264 - no A/V issues ( libavcodec )

So at my setup, only decoding VC-1 by ffdshow libavcodec causes occasional lipsync issues when seeking in the timeline. Nevcairiel always said its the most problematic video format ( timestamps workaround ). Maybe you can add some point too.
Old 27th July 2011, 21:47   #9023  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Yes, and it should all look correct now.
goodness!
Quote:
However, there's a freeze problem with the madVR 0.71 and PotPlayer. Am working on that
Oh, I've hardly ever encountered freezes between mVR and PotPlayer

Lemme know if you want me to whine about anything on the official korean forum.

Quote:
I might add a custom hack to force madVR to always assume full range input, but that's far as I'm willing to go at this point in time.
OK, neato! the only 2 things I would currently need in mVR are:
-proper colors in PC range RGB32(just like in 0.67)
-a way to get automatic PC range YV12(w/ proper colors of course), either through an "assume PC range for YCbCr" or "remember last YCbCr levels range".

The former in order to be able to use ddcc() in ffdshow, and the latter for when I'm out of CPU power(because ConvertToRGB32() can't be MT'ed ).

And that's pretty much it! for various reasons, such as:
-I don't want to wait 3 secs for a 96MB LUT file to be loaded before each and every video(it takes forever, even from a PC8500 ramdisk )
-ddcc() does exactly what I need, and looks totally amazing, no need to reinvent the wheel really
-I'm not interested in becoming a beta-tester for yCMS, when ddcc() does all I need brilliantly
-you recently said that you would allow custom PS scripts at some point, so I could always use the AVS script someday in the future who knows maybe

My only issues w/ using ddcc() CUDA in ffdshow are that:
-ConvertToRGB32 can't be MT'ed, and it's a CPU hog...tritical said he might consider creating a CUDA way to convert YV12>RGB32, but that seems to annoy him quite a bit.
-ffdshow is like a ghost train, and when you change the Avisynth scripting on the fly, the coder who added the Avisynth filter to ffdshow("Leak") cuts the plugins threads in a very dirty way and that crashes the CUDA drivers completely(which instantly locks up the computer). He also recently told me that he didn't care whatsoever...gotta love GPL software

The solution to both problems is to get a faster CPU, and run ddcc() in software mode...then I will finally be able to do anything gamut-related I want in ffdshow, without stutter due to high CPU load, LUT loading waiting time or GPU drivers crashes

Colorimetry is not your priority, and I don't mean to annoy you even further w/ stuff you don't care about. I know a perfectly working solution to my problems, all I need is shelling out a few hundred bucks to get a blazing fast i7 rig. I've got plenty of spare cash to do so, but I really hate to buy high-tech equipment that'll be losing 70% of its original value over a 12 months span...so I'll wait another 6/12 months for those second hand Sandy's to show up on the used market. Until then I'll keep using ddcc() CUDA and make damn sure to never switch gamuts on the fly, and use mVR in PC range YV12 when I really don't have enough CPU horse power to go RGB32.

I promise to never talk about "gamut" or "SMPTE-C" in this thread anymore, otherwise you can fine me 10€ per occurrence

Last edited by leeperry; 27th July 2011 at 23:15.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 21:49   #9024  |  Link
Plutotype

Hi madshi again,

when using internal decoders and playing MPEG2 video, OSD via CTRL+J shows @ "every frame repeat" numbers like 41.67s or 41.57 etc. The playback is smooth.

Im asking because when playing VC-1 or h.264 videos, I get at the same stat numbers like 1, 2 or more hours.

Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 23:33   #9025  |  Link
azaze1

Quote:
I'm telling the libav/ffmpeg VC-1 decoder to do multithreading, but I don't know if it actually is capable of doing that. In any case, the Microsoft VC-1 decoder is clearly faster on my dual core CPU.
Is this the 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder' in the external filters? If not, how can I ensure the decoder you're referring to is used for VC-1 content? More importantly, is there a way to make sure it's used for VC-1 and NOT h264 should I choose to use madVR's h264 decoder....
azaze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 00:58   #9026  |  Link
jmone

FYI the "delay playback start..." option in V0.71 causes video playback to stall in MC16
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 05:04   #9027  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Well, the stutter you're seeing has then probably other reasons. Meaning that the "delay playback" option works just as advertized. Now if you ask me what other reasons there are, I can't say for sure. Have you tried different video clips? Does it occur with all of them or just some or just one? Have you tried different splitters and different decoders?
Yes, I have tried different splitters, decoders (Win decoders vs 3rd party), renderers, players, different video formats, different hard drives, even different laptops. All lead to the same conclusion, it only occurs with madVR and even when I lower the scaling algorithms.

That was the first thing I noticed when I moved to Win7 from XP this month, that video playback with madVR was not nearly as smooth. But like I mentioned before, it's just something to live with....
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 05:29   #9028  |  Link
azaze1

I gave madVR's internal h264 decoder a shot today. It performs noticeably better than ffdshow's software decoder. I'd be interested in using it being it's software based, and thus has no decoding artifacts that plague external dxva and HAM decoding... multithreading is a bonus.

I did have a crash instantly while watching particular movies, so I'd like to provide logs, but I never see any...

QUESTION: Do I need to register the debug filter alongside madVR.ax or must I unregister madvr.ax first, and then register the debug? Where will the log be located?

Thanks,
azaze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 07:32   #9029  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
all I need is shelling out a few hundred bucks to get a blazing fast i7 rig. I've got plenty of spare cash to do so, but I really hate to buy high-tech equipment that'll be losing 70% of its original value over a 12 months span...so I'll wait another 6/12 months for those second hand Sandy's to show up on the used market.
So your going to wait up to a year to save (at a rough guess as your 70% is pretty inaccurate) a couple of hundred bucks and prevent yourself for having a solution to your issue today even though you more than enough money to do so? I thought you were a smart guy leeperry! I just upgraded my Core 2 Quad system to an i7 and the increase in performance even at the same core frequency is great (gotta love Hyper-threading for Avisynth) I sold off my C2Q parts for almost as much as I bought the i7 920 for. If money isn't for the things you want when you want them, what is it for? Do it Lee, do it for yourself! No need to go for the fastest i7 money can buy just get a 2600K and overclock the beejesus out of it. You'll still be able to sell it off years down the track at 40-50 odd percent of what you paid, the longer you want the less your current gear is worth too. When you desire something THAT is the time to get it, more time waiting is less time being satisfied and life is too short to continue being dissatisfied.

Madshi,
I've enabled MPEG2 decoding with MadVR and found when opening a VOB from any of my DVD rips the audio ends up being out of sync and after seeking the video speeds up and stutters.
I'm using Lav splitter/audio 0.30 and I'm having no issues with playback when switched to ffdshow for decoding.
BTW thanks for the continued and prompt development! I'm looking forward to seeing improved scaling algorithms in the future, hopefully by the time 1.0 rolls around *fingers crossed*
Your doing an awesome job it's much appreciated.

Last edited by ryrynz; 28th July 2011 at 10:36. Reason: Oh Wile-E! You posted the answer to azaze1's question as well, guess I'll remove mine!
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 09:47   #9030  |  Link
Wile-E-Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaze1 View Post
QUESTION: Do I need to register the debug filter alongside madVR.ax or must I unregister madvr.ax first, and then register the debug? Where will the log be located?

Thanks,
Once madvr is installed, just double click on the "register debug mode" and launch your video until the problem appears. The log file will be on your desktop. Once you're done debugging double click the "register debug mode" again to deactivate debug mode.
Wile-E-Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 12:20   #9031  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

madshi:
Quote:
Oh, I didn't check this with "use dx11 path", cause my development PC is XP. Does this also occur with the dx9 path?
No, this looks like the exact bug that caused crashes in 0.69 that you fixed in 0.70, but only occurs in the DX11 path is used.

Quote:
3. If 'auto exclusive mode' is enabled, switching between 'windowed on monitor 1' to 'fullscreen on monitor 2' causes the exclusive mode image to take longer and longer to reappear (the screen stays black for up to 13 seconds after 10-15 switches).
Quote:
I can't reproduce that here. Is that with the dx11 path again? Does the same thing happen with the dx9 path?
This happens in the DX9 path, I couldn't test the DX11 path, as it's not stable for this operation.

Quote:
My 'stop function causes the OSD to remain on-screen until a play command is issued.
Quote:
What OSD remains on-screen? Yours or mine? If yours: Did you draw is with a timeout value? Or did you (try to) clear it with a separate API call?
My OSD (ControlBar/pop-up OSD). I try to clear it with a separate API call, I'm not using timeouts at all.

Quote:
* fixed: madVR caused "File Source Async" to never be destroyed
I was about to report that MadVR keeps the playing file handle locked, preventing the file from being erased. I haven't had time to test 0.71, hopefully it's fixed already
Old 28th July 2011, 12:30   #9032  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Madshi:
Here's the log file you requested where creating a window (before even showing it) causes MadVR to lose exclusive mode for a second. Are you checking the window handle for visibility and position? If you're just checking position and hooking the window create function, you're going to get false positives.

I just did a very quick initial test and 0.71 partially breaks the OSD. If I pause playback, no OSD is displayed. If I press play again, the 'pause' OSD appears briefly before switching to a 'play' OSD.

P.S.
I prefer posting here (rather than eMail) as it allows other users (and users of ZP) to see the development process and maybe add some input.
Old 28th July 2011, 12:37   #9033  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
when using the refresh rate changer and "delay playback start" is enabled, videos opened paused (after refresh rate change).
i'll have a look.
Once you find and fix this bug, maybe you should make it an optional feature.
I'm actually beginning to like videos opening paused, since it gives me a chance to enter fullscreen before starting playback. Though the better solution would be fixing the MPC-HC "Launch files in fullscreen" option to work with madVR.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 28th July 2011 at 12:42.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 13:11   #9034  |  Link
Neeto

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Once you find and fix this bug, maybe you should make it an optional feature.
I'm actually beginning to like videos opening paused, since it gives me a chance to enter fullscreen before starting playback. Though the better solution would be fixing the MPC-HC "Launch files in fullscreen" option to work with madVR.
You can use the command line option on MPC-HC to open in full screen.
I use mpc-hc.exe /fullscreen /play /close file
Old 28th July 2011, 13:15   #9035  |  Link
Xaurus

Hmm? I don't have any problem with the "Launch files in fullscreen" option in mpc-hc, it works like it should.
Xaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 13:26   #9036  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
Hmm? I don't have any problem with the "Launch files in fullscreen" option in mpc-hc, it works like it should.
It only works when not using the madVR refresh rate changer, which I guess means this is another bug...

Edit: Or not, it seems to be working now after I removed the /fullscreen which I just added to File Types. I think I just misunderstood what the option was supposed to do. It only works when opening something from Explorer, not the the Playlist. In that case, a start playback paused option would still be useful, but less needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeto View Post
You can use the command line option on MPC-HC to open in full screen.
I use mpc-hc.exe /fullscreen /play /close file
This seems to workaround the bug, since MPC-HC enters fullscreen before the refresh rate change. Opening videos via command line doesn't seem very practical, but I can just add the command line option to File Types. Edit: See above update.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 28th July 2011 at 15:35.
Old 28th July 2011, 15:11   #9037  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

On another note, madshi could you make ISubRender subtitles get scaled with with the selected madVR luma/chroma resizers? If you set maximum texture size of 1280x720 and then playback fullscreen at 1920x1080, subtitles are very blurry. Do you even have control over that, or is it MPC-HC doing the blurry subtitle resizing with a lower texture size?

Why don't I just use 1920x1080 or Desktop as my maximum texture size? Performance reasons. On this computer, playback of higher bitrate 1080p 10bit h264 results in dropped/delayed frames with a subtitles max texture size of 1920x1080 and two or more lines (or complex subs) on screen, while using a max texture size of 1280x720 is always fine. Having the subtitles resized by madVR from lower texture sizes would work nicely at reducing the blur, since I use Spline36 for luma upscaling.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 28th July 2011 at 15:32.
Old 28th July 2011, 23:32   #9038  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
That was the first thing I noticed when I moved to Win7 from XP this month, that video playback with madVR was not nearly as smooth.
Now, that doesn't sound too reassuring...in a 24Hz multiple and all? TBH, mVR is so dead smooth on XPSP3 for me that I'm in really no hurry to reinvent the wheel. Besides, I can't seem to be able to find a W7-compatible software firewall that would match my requirements, duh.

The only real improvement for me could be the support of HPET, that in combination w/ Fidelizer would allow me to lower the OS timer granularity much lower than on XP. This would make everyone happy: Reclock, mVR and my audio apps...XP is really not meant for realtime use, even when using the ACPI timer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I sold off my C2Q parts for almost as much as I bought the i7 920 for. If money isn't for the things you want when you want them, what is it for? Do it Lee
Yeah, I've seen a second hand i7 920 for pretty cheap, but it's using a now obsolete 1366 socket...so if I get it, I won't be able to upgrade to a 2700K later on

Intel will be switching sockets within a few months again: http://www.legitreviews.com/news/11106/

Being a computer geek is a risky business, and zillions of them will be selling their 2700K for dead cheap shortly...I can wait

Last edited by leeperry; 29th July 2011 at 01:01.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 02:19   #9039  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

madshi, there appears to be a very slight inaccuracy in your 10-bit to 32/64-bit to 8-bit conversion using 10-bit input from the madVR internal decoder (either that or x264 has an issue with 8-bit to 10-bit conversion). This is with calibration disabled. Took a screenshot of 8-bit & 10-bit in fullscreen (Catmull-Rom chroma) and measured screenshots with Photoshop's Color Sampler (11 by 11 average).

8-bit input w/ madVR on left, 10-bit input w/ madVR on right
(R-G-B)
0-0-0 -> 1-0-1
32-32-32 -> 33-32-33
127-127-127 -> 128-127-128
0-0-127 -> 1-0-128
0-127-127 -> 1-127-129
0-127-0 -> 0-127-1
...and so on.

AVS HD 709 mp4 test pattern 3-Color Steps.mp4 re-encoded as 10-bit 4:2:0 lossless.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 29th July 2011 at 20:31.
Old 29th July 2011, 07:20   #9040  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Intel will be switching sockets within a few months again: http://www.legitreviews.com/news/11106/
I know, but we're in a world where everything is upgraded at such a rapid pace. As far as I'm concerned something is only obsolete when it doesn't do what you want

Quote:
Being a computer geek is a risky business, and zillions of them will be selling their 2700K for dead cheap shortly...I can wait
Time consuming business and also fun at that, don't wait too long.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling