Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 4th March 2007, 05:31   #1  |  Link
Tordenflesk

QT alt and CoreAVC installed at the same time?

Is it possible to have both QT alt. and CoreAVC installed at the same time without causing trouble?
It seems i have there 2 choices:
1. both installed: Rubbish playback(dropping frames like a mad scientist) of local files, but i can watch embeddded files without a problem, or...
2. I Get rid of QT ALT, and have only CoreAVC installed. That way i can enjoy 1080P Without dropping frames, but no embedded videos work. Is there a way for me to use CoreAVC instead of QT for local files?
Tordenflesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 06:05   #2  |  Link
mgh

AFAIK, during qt alternative install, you get option to leave the h264 and aac decoders untouched.
Old 4th March 2007, 09:23   #3  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

You could also consider dropping quicktime alltogether and going with VLC's embedded player instead. It isn't any less stable than quicktime - not saying much, I know - but at least it's a lot faster.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 10:07   #4  |  Link
Tordenflesk

mgh: I tried that but it still "took over" the job of decoding h264.
foxyshadis: Stupid me, i knew that. Any idea if it'll play the trailers on apple.com? and is it possible to save the file, just like with QT?
EDIT: No, it won't

Last edited by Tordenflesk; 4th March 2007 at 10:25.
Old 4th March 2007, 11:11   #5  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

my suggestion would be;
- use mpui for *.mov or *.mp4 playback locally
- you can dl any trailers by looking at the html source a bit and then dropping the link to wacket or some similar downloader.

links;
http://mpui.sourceforge.net/ official
http://mulder.dummwiedeutsch.de/home...ojects#mplayer Lord mulder's
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/wackget.html
smok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 11:41   #6  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordenflesk View Post
foxyshadis: Stupid me, i knew that. Any idea if it'll play the trailers on apple.com? and is it possible to save the file, just like with QT?
Drat! It must have something to do with the way the trailers are sent, since if loaded locally or remotely outside the browser (the 1k link file), it'll play the full file just fine. Well, with lousy buffering. I'll look and see if it can be forced with a mime type or something.
Old 4th March 2007, 11:52   #7  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

Quote:
there is a trailer page with all directlinks to qt trailers: http://www.davestrailerpage.co.uk/

vlc and mplayer can play these mov files. Furthermore you could install coreavc/ffdshow and decode them with haali splitter in mpc. no need for quicktime/qt alternative at all.

btw: mostly i remux them in mkv
Old 4th March 2007, 14:00   #8  |  Link
clsid

If you use Media Player Classic to play local .mov files, then it will use QT to decode them, which is terribly slow. Rename the files (e.g. to hdmov or mp4) and MPC will switch to use DirectShow filters, allowing CoreAVC to do the decoding.
Old 4th March 2007, 17:40   #9  |  Link
Avish

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
Drat! It must have something to do with the way the trailers are sent, since if loaded locally or remotely outside the browser (the 1k link file), it'll play the full file just fine. Well, with lousy buffering. I'll look and see if it can be forced with a mime type or something.
Hi Foxyshadis, If u use Firefox, then there is add-on called Cache Viewer, with it u can easily copy anything u've viewed in ur browser. It is very simple, when the video finishes loading 100%, just open the cache viewer, & u'll find that file there. [u'll have to search a little]

I've successfully copied many trailers from apple.com. to my HDD with this add-on. Hope this helps.
Old 4th March 2007, 20:26   #10  |  Link
Tordenflesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
there is a trailer page with all directlinks to qt trailers: http://www.davestrailerpage.co.uk/

vlc and mplayer can play these mov files. Furthermore you could install coreavc/ffdshow and decode them with haali splitter in mpc. no need for quicktime/qt alternative at all.

btw: mostly i remux them in mkv
Looks like that'll be my solution then. Thanks for all help.
Old 4th March 2007, 22:39   #11  |  Link
jmnk

so is it possible to play trailers with MPC without downloading first?

This is a problem that has been puzzling me for a while. Why is it that I can't get a directshow-based player to play apple trailers by streaming from the web site? I mean - if i download the files to my drive I can play virtually every single one with no problem. Which means I have all needed filters: the trailers play mostly with Haali + ffdshow audio + ffdshow video + renderer. But when I try to play the same file without downloading the MPC player complains with the error like this (or similar):

VLC player can play every single apple trailer I have tried - either from a local copy or off the web site. I use it to verify if the url is correct.

So is it that Haali splitter can't "read" http-streamed media? Can it be fixed somehow? Any ideas?

I know there are many ways to just download the trailer first - but why is it needed? How is it that VLC has no problems?
regards.
Attached Images

jmnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 00:33   #12  |  Link
clsid

The trailers on the apple site link to small redirect files. VLC is able to parse them. DS players don't understand them. So that is why you need to download the actual file first.
Old 5th March 2007, 04:13   #13  |  Link
Schrade

Quote:
Is it possible to have both QT alt. and CoreAVC installed at the same time without causing trouble?
It seems i have there 2 choices:
1. both installed: Rubbish playback(dropping frames like a mad scientist) of local files, but i can watch embeddded files without a problem, or...
2. I Get rid of QT ALT, and have only CoreAVC installed. That way i can enjoy 1080P Without dropping frames, but no embedded videos work. Is there a way for me to use CoreAVC instead of QT for local files?
Yes.

Just set Quicktime file to DirectShow instead of Quicktime in View -> Options -> Formats in Media Player Classic.

By default it's set to Quicktime so you must change it manually. (You have to click on the Quicktime word in the right column and it then turns into a dropdown menu) Might want to make sure you have the latest ffdshow tryouts too and set it to decode SVQ1/3 files as those are what most Quicktime files use if they don't use H.264.

Also, Quicktime Alternative's player can usually detect when a file is a Quicktime HD trailer and will pop up its downloader that allows you to either just save the file or save the file then play it using MPC. It won't stream it though, of course.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 04:17   #14  |  Link
jmnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
The trailers on the apple site link to small redirect files. VLC is able to parse them. DS players don't understand them. So that is why you need to download the actual file first.
I'm afraid that is not the problem. I mean MPC will definitely not play the file when given the link from apple web site. But it will not play the file even if I do provide a link to an actual file. maybe an example would be better:
the link on apple web site:
http://images.apple.com/movies/sony_...ness_h.320.mov
that is just a small ~145 bytes file you can download and open in notepad. I can understand that MPC can't properly parse it, get out the "real" link, and try to open "real" file. I would wish it could - but I kind of understand it is outside the scope of what MPC does.

But I can open apple web page (or even easier get the proper path to a real file from the above small redirection file) and construct a full path to a real file myself. In this case the "real" file is at
http://images.apple.com/movies/sony_...yness_h320.mov (note the missing '.' between 'h' and '320'). This url actually points to a .mov file - you can download it, it will be about 5.7MB. Now, feeding this now-correct path to MPC still results in an error. So there must be something else that prevents MPC from playing online mov files. Any other ideas?

@shrade
[QUOTE=Schrade;965983]"Also, Quicktime Alternative's player can usually detect when a file is a Quicktime HD trailer and will pop up its downloader that allows you to either just save the file or save the file then play it using MPC. It won't stream it though, of course." [/QOUTE]- why so? what is preventing MPC player from streaming?

Last edited by jmnk; 5th March 2007 at 04:23.
Old 5th March 2007, 05:27   #15  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avish View Post
Hi Foxyshadis, If u use Firefox, then there is add-on called Cache Viewer, with it u can easily copy anything u've viewed in ur browser. It is very simple, when the video finishes loading 100%, just open the cache viewer, & u'll find that file there. [u'll have to search a little]

I've successfully copied many trailers from apple.com. to my HDD with this add-on. Hope this helps.
I know, but the question was about streaming. It's a snap to play downloaded files, but getting them to play embedded in a web page is proving to be a difficult problem.
Old 5th March 2007, 15:48   #16  |  Link
clsid

MPC can stream QT files just fine. The second link you posted works for me. Streaming only works if MPC is set to use the QT api, it doesn't work when set to DirectShow.
Old 5th March 2007, 19:13   #17  |  Link
jmnk

Quote:
MPC can stream QT files just fine. The second link you posted works for me. Streaming only works if MPC is set to use the QT api, it doesn't work when set to DirectShow.
I need to learn how to correctly ask questions. I wonder why it is not possible to use directshow only player to play streaming content from apple site. By that I mean no QT api. The practical reason is that
a) since I have all filters needed to play local .mov file why should I have to install QT components?
b) there are directshow players that cannot use QT API the way MPC can
c) I can't use QT API filters in graphedit (right?)

And it is more theoretical discussion than anything else, I like MPC a lot so it should not be taken as complainig abot MPC functionality. It just that I do not understand which component in the directshow filter chain is not able to deal with streaming .mov. Maybe there's a need for yet another source/splitter filter? Maybe Haali one could be improved? Or is it (as someone suggested before) the way apple web server indicates the type of content - meaning there's something they do on purpose to make it not work with pure directshow players?
thoughts?
Old 5th March 2007, 22:03   #18  |  Link
clsid

Playing a file form disk is totally different than streaming form an url. It is the source filter that needs to support the streaming.
Old 5th March 2007, 22:27   #19  |  Link
jmnk

Quote:
Playing a file form disk is totally different than streaming form an url. It is the source filter that needs to support the streaming.
ok, so does it mean that
1) haali filter (which acts as both source and splitter) does not support streaming from http? (haali is a source filter here - right?), or
2) is it that MS built in URL source filter are used - and for whatever reasons these MS URL source filters do not perfom as one would hope?, or
3) Else?
Old 5th March 2007, 22:53   #20  |  Link
clsid

In this case I think it should be handled by Haali's filter.