Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th January 2008, 10:41   #1  |  Link
ipridian
Âm Động

(hard)subtitling with ffdshow

I noticed that ffdshow (the newest svn builds) do a very good job on basic subtitling. If you use VSFilter, you will notice that the text tends to "stand out" in the video, whereas ffdshow's way of handling the subtitles makes it "sink in" the video. An example :

w/ ffdshow
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/6925/giffdshowvv1.png

w/ vsfilter
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1...sfilterqq9.png

Also notice the ffdshow had mplayer's postprocessing and hqdn3d. This is easy to produce with an .avs, but the problem lies in the subtitling.

I tried making a .grf using the source .avi file, then removing the renderer. Then I used an .avs file with DirectShowSource on the grf. Last part was loading the .avs inside VirtualDub and encoding it to a lossless codec. Problem arises here where the subtitles start desync'ing. It's not empty frames problem (I checked keep empty frames, and Lagarith as well as HuffYUV does not drop empty frames, afaik), and using TextSub as a filter (.vdf) inside VDub itself shows that the problem lies in the way it was done, mainly grf to avs then to vdub (overhead?).

Is there anyway to hardcode subtitles using ffdshow? If I use ffdshow vfw encoder, clicking on image output processing and checking on the subtitles field doesn't do anything. the option to decode ASS is grayed out in the "decoder" tab of ffdshow vfw encoder, so that is a no go as well.

If that made sense to you, I hope you can help me with this.

The way I was going to do it was use VSFilter for "demanding" jobs, such as ASS with lots of {\t}, and for simple normal subtitles, use ffdshow's internal subtitle renderer. I've been trying to figure it out for a week now to no avail. I usually don't ask for help and try to sort it out myself, but this is slowing down the process of the whole group, so I figured maybe I should drop in a topic and see if anyone has some idea into this, as you are all experts in this field (hopefully )
Old 30th January 2008, 17:18   #2  |  Link
ImAhNoBoDy

Well when you play it, is it out of sync? Either in your media player or vdub.

If it is out of sync you can go use gspot and see what the fps is and put this command in your script:

#29.97 will be whatever fps is showing in gspot.
Changefps(29.97)

Hopefully that sync's up your subs. As for HARDSUBBING...you 100% need to reencode the video to get it HARD subbed on there. I don't think there's a way around it.
ImAhNoBoDy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 08:25   #3  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

Why dont you just add the subtitle directly in the avs file?

The only difference that I seen between the two pictures is that the VSfilter edition is sharper. If you apply the smallest amount of blur directly to the subtitles themselves, you should have no problem emulating the ffdshow effect.