Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 5th January 2004, 21:12   #1  |  Link
NoFear

Some Info about CCE

Ok, for those of you who don't know (I just found out), CCE stands for "Cinema Craft Encoder". That's good to know when doing your google research.

Anyway, after studying up a bit, I'm interested in learning more about CCE and how it works. From what I can gather, this is not really a program intended for making DVD backups, which lends me to believe that I'll have to do DVD backups like the days of old, when you had to edit stuff using ifoedit and all that kind of jazz. Anyway, I want the best picture quality (CCE generally speaking), but with the ease of use of something like my current DVD95Copy (which I've been using religiously for about a year now). I've heard wonders about DVD Shrink, how it rips, resizes, and everything for you, but I'm wondering if CCE will do the same thing. If so, I will clearly look into CCE a bit more, but if not, I'd like to know how much more work goes into creating a backup with CCE than with something like DVD Shrink.

Thanks
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2004, 21:39   #2  |  Link
Kedirekin

I don't kow how to say this without being blunt. I mean no offense - just spitting out the facts.

CCE doesn't do DVD. It is an Mpeg encoder only.

In my opinion, creating a DVD using CCE is a good deal more work, in terms of both time and effort, than using a one-click solution like DVDShrink. DVDShrink takes an hour or two of processing, and a bare few minutes of personal effort. An approach using CCE is anywhere from about 8 hours of processing time on up, and a minimum of about 20 minutes of personal effort (and often a lot, lot more than that).

If you want to get a good idea of how much effort a CCE approach is, check out the Big 3 guide at the doom9 site. When you hit your first multi-angle DVD, or DVD with button over video, you'll see what I mean by a lot, lot more effort.
Kedirekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2004, 22:21   #3  |  Link
mrbass

check out these two guides DVD2DVD-R and DVD2DVD both use CCE as the encoder.
http://www.davis28.pwp.blueyonder.co...die/guide.html
http://www.mrbass.org/dvd2dvd
Old 5th January 2004, 22:45   #4  |  Link
Richk50

I've used mrbass' guide. It's very easy to make great copies. Believe me, if it was complicated, I couldn't do it.
I never use any of the 1 click solutions if I have to compress more than 10%.
Richk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2004, 13:38   #5  |  Link
bit-wise

I, until yesterday, had used DVDDecrypter to rip the movie only, IFOEdit to rip everything but the main Dolby Digital soundtrack, and DVDShrink if I needed to shrink the video stream further.

I just did my first CCE encode using DVD2SVCD and a few other add in tools using syzygytec's guide. This URL=http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67837]thread[/URL] has the link to the guide and some small setup questions I encountered. Once I got the tools set up, I can start the process in about 5-10 minutes, and it takes about 6 hours on a PIII. The picture quality is top-notch.

I am eager to try the other guides to see what they have to offer. You should give it a go!
bit-wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2004, 15:18   #6  |  Link
NoFear

Thanks for the wonderful insight
It has helped me a lot. I did not find these guides previously (though I'm sure they're readily available if you know where to look).

Thanks again
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2004, 22:09   #7  |  Link
writersblock29

@NoFear

Even though it doesn't offer the "tweaking" ability some have grown used to, you can try downloading DVD2SVCD from Doom9's download page and install it. Some of these replies have mentioned it -- and it makes the CCE process much easier on the layman -- but it'll be the closest thing you can get to a "one click" solution using CCE. Now, as Kedirekin's stated, multiangle disks are going to give you a headache using this program UNLESS you know beforehand what version of the film you want to keep. To do this, keep DVD Shrink on hand, so that you can create a movie-only stream which contains JUST the title you want (using no compression), then run this through DVD2SVCD. If full-disk backups are more your cup of tea (I'm a coffee man, myself ) then Doom9's excellent guides are the place to start. Really, it all boils down to one question: How much work are you willing to put into it?

The one-clickers are becoming better and better all the time -- not to mention easier and easier to use. Myself, I'm extremely pleased with Nero 6 and the Recode utility (DVD Shrink on steriods). I'll only use CCE for my own home video encodes or extremely long backup projects (such as my recent skit with the extended LORD OF THE RINGS movies -- putting them on one disk as movie-only). I've seen posts from Ddlooping that hint at a soon-to-be-released new version of Shrink, so as usualy there's plenty of tasty dishes on the table to choose from these days!
writersblock29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2004, 23:16   #8  |  Link
Mtz

Quote:
Originally posted by Kedirekin
check out the Big 3 guide at the doom9 site.
Many people talking about that guide but nobody linking it.
So, where is that Guide?

10x
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2004, 23:57   #9  |  Link
Kedirekin

Doom9 is using anti-leaching techniques on his site, so I don't think we can provide direct links.

But it isn't hard to find. Go to www.doom9.org and click:
Guides->DVD/Mini DVD->DVD Backup Guides->Scenarist NT & the big 3.
Old 9th January 2004, 01:26   #10  |  Link
tyee

Kedirekin
Regarding the anitleech, I'm having trouble with Acrobat 6, trying to save doom9's guides to pdf for later offline study. I always seem to get the home page no matter which guide page, or any other page for that matter, I try to convert. Is there any way to make Acrobat load these pages. I believe Acrobat 5 did load them OK, but so far not Version 6.

tyee
tyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2004, 01:40   #11  |  Link
jel

@tyee
you could try using a print 2 pdf program - there may be some freeware applications out there (i used to use ghostscript years ago...) - we use 'FinePrint pdfFactory' at work but it wasnt freeware.
then simply highlight the guide and print selection.
works for me anyways
hth
j
jel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2004, 02:31   #12  |  Link
Kedirekin

I don't know the particulars, but I've always understood that anti-leaching is a server-side technology. It works by looking at the referrer page, and if the referrer page isn't in the doom9 domain, the server bounces you to the front page.

I think what you're seeing is links in your saved documents that refer into the doom9 site. Since the referrer page is either blank or localhost when you pull it up locally (neither of which is in the doom9 domain), when you try to go to that link, the doom9 server bounces you back to the front page, which is exactly what it should do.

The only way to fix it is to find the links in the downloaded documents that are referring to the doom9 site, and change them to refer to local copies of the pages. Since you local machine is not the doom9 server (and supposedly doesn't have any referrer page checking), it should return the page okay.

I have no idea about the pdf documents. I've always been under the impression they are not editable, so you won't be able to fix the links manually. Is there some setting in Adobe that can 'fix up' non-external links when saving a page? Perhaps there is and the setting was enabled by default in Acrobat 5, bout off by default in 6.

Oh, and print-saving the documents probably won't automatically fix it either, as the print-saved links will still point at the doom9 site. But then, maybe the print-saved files are editable, so you could at least fix it locally.

Last edited by Kedirekin; 9th January 2004 at 02:35.
Old 9th January 2004, 04:38   #13  |  Link
Mtz

10x
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote