Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 20th March 2014, 21:33   #401  |  Link
mindbomb

with xy vsfilter and catalyst 14.2, i have green pgs subs with black borders. windows 7 and a radeon 6310.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 21:34   #402  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

With madVR or EVR? Please try both.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 22:01   #403  |  Link
mindbomb

with evr, mpc hc's evr cp, and madvr. with dxva copyback and software decoding. xy vsfilter btw, not xy subfilter.
Old 20th March 2014, 22:34   #404  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Ah, xy-vsfilter, not XySubFilter, missed that.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 22:47   #405  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Please provide a sample mindbomb.

Actually, your issue was probably because this commit from MPC-HC which fixed a bug with PGS palette parsing, was only merged into our codebase in March 2013 while xy-VSFilter 3.0.0.211 was released in November 2012. Releasing a new official xy-VSFilter build is still on our to-do list. The unofficial build of xy-VSFilter included with CCCP codec pack already includes this and other fixes backported from our newer branches. Try installing xy-VSFilter from CCCP and see if it resolves your issue.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 20th March 2014 at 23:35.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 05:45   #406  |  Link
mindbomb

yea, that fixed it.
Old 22nd March 2014, 02:43   #407  |  Link
sexus

ok ive got a couple questions , since im kinda mindboggled here , first one whats the difference between xy-vsfilter and xysubfilter arent they the same or what

second one is whats kerning whats its purpose and whats the benefits of including it in xy-vsfilter, will it improve the sub playback quality , speed or what

and a quote from over at xbmc forums
Quote:
xy-vsfilter cannot scale graphic PGS subtitles, unlike DVDplayer and DSplayer internal subtitles renderers, so effectively xy-vsfilter is not a universal solution, and we need something better.
is this true and if can it be fixed, i very much would like to see xy-vsfilter be the nr.1 used sub renderer for its universality, speed and quality or was it xysubfilter ?, lols , perhaps well know once my first question gets cleared up, since its being worked on using it with xbmc dsplayer builds over here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php...806#pid1659806

, thanks in advance

Last edited by sexus; 22nd March 2014 at 04:33.
sexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 05:04   #408  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

xy-vsfilter and other VSFilter like renderers are lost cause. Currently either you should use xysubfilter or internal subtitle renderer of MPC-HC (or BE ;p). About scaling PGS, this is rarely needed in fact more common are SD DVB subtitles in HD video. But anyway xysubfilter can handle all things well.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 05:37   #409  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexus View Post
difference between xy-vsfilter and xysubfilter arent they the same or what
xy-VSFilter (VSFilter.dll) requires input from a video decoder, renders subtitles directly on the video at original resolution, then outputs the video frames to the video renderer. The main reason VSFilter exists is to essentially hardsub video in realtime. For playback this isn't optimal for quality (usually 4:2:0 YCbCr), but it has superior compatibility from taking special APIs and separate subtitle bitmaps out of the equation. It also can be used in VirtualDub and Avisynth, it you needed to encode a hardsubbed video from some reason.

XySubFilter (XySubFilter.dll) connects directly to a "Subtitle Consumer" using the SubRenderIntf we developed with madshi, and never touches video frames. The subtitles (4:4:4 RGB) are output at the resolution requested by the video renderer as separate bitmaps. This offers the highest quality for playback purposes, but requires explicit support of our subtitle interface. Currently only madVR and MPC-HC (EVR-CP/VMR9) support it. Everywhere else you'd be forced to use some other subtitle filter.

Quote:
whats kerning whats its purpose and whats the benefits of including it in xy-vsfilter
Kerning is essentially per-Glyph spacing based on surrounding Glyphs. If the font includes good kerning metrics, it should improve readability. If the font include bad kerning metrics (not uncommon), it will hurt quality. Wikipedia: Kerning

Quote:
quote from over at xbmc forums (about PGS not being scaled by VSFilter.dll)
A couple days ago MPC-BE added support for PGS/DVB scaling in VSFilter.dll, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 22nd March 2014 at 06:20.
Old 22nd March 2014, 16:26   #410  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

XySubFilter has completely stopped loading for me in MPC-HC and I can't figure out why. I've tried:

1) running Uninstall_XySubFilter.bat and Install_XySubFilter.bat (with administrative privileges)
2) switching between stable versions of MPC-HC (1.7.2 and 1.7.3) and the latest nightly
3) adding XySubFilter and XySubFilterAutoLoader to the External Filters list and setting them to Prefer (and setting DirectVobSub (auto-loading version) to Block)
4) disabling all the internal filters so external LAV filters are used.
5) toggling the Auto-load subtitles option in MPC-HC's playback settings

None of these cause XySubFilter to be loaded, even though it worked before! I think this started after I first ran Uninstall_XySubFilter.bat and Install_XySubFilter.bat after reading about having to do that here (I updated madVR and XySubFilter at the same time and it seemed to Just Work before), but that might be a total red herring. I watch videos with subtitles maybe twice a week so this may have been broken for a few days before I noticed it.

I'm out of ideas for what to try myself, though I bet it ends up being something simple :\

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 22nd March 2014 at 16:28.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 16:46   #411  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Please upload a log from the logging build.
Old 22nd March 2014, 17:04   #412  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Oh jeez, I'm a moron.. I got the 32-bit and 64-bit versions mixed up in my head (I realized after the 32-bit logging build worked normally) No wonder it didn't work.. sorry about the noise!
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 19:37   #413  |  Link
sexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
xy-VSFilter (VSFilter.dll) requires input from a video decoder, renders subtitles directly on the video at original resolution, then outputs the video frames to the video renderer. The main reason VSFilter exists is to essentially hardsub video in realtime. For playback this isn't optimal for quality (usually 4:2:0 YCbCr), but it has superior compatibility from taking special APIs and separate subtitle bitmaps out of the equation. It also can be used in VirtualDub and Avisynth, it you needed to encode a hardsubbed video from some reason.

XySubFilter (XySubFilter.dll) connects directly to a "Subtitle Consumer" using the SubRenderIntf we developed with madshi, and never touches video frames. The subtitles (4:4:4 RGB) are output at the resolution requested by the video renderer as separate bitmaps. This offers the highest quality for playback purposes, but requires explicit support of our subtitle interface. Currently only madVR and MPC-HC (EVR-CP/VMR9) support it. Everywhere else you'd be forced to use some other subtitle filter.

Kerning is essentially per-Glyph spacing based on surrounding Glyphs. If the font includes good kerning metrics, it should improve readability. If the font include bad kerning metrics (not uncommon), it will hurt quality. Wikipedia: Kerning

A couple days ago MPC-BE added support for PGS/DVB scaling in VSFilter.dll, but I haven't looked into it yet.

ok that explaines quite a few things , thanks , ok so i suppose xy-vsfilter is out of the equation since XySubFilter is the nr.1 , thanks for that and i hope that that pgs scaling can be added into XySubFilter, thanks again and ill update the guys over at the dsplayer thread about this

Last edited by sexus; 22nd March 2014 at 19:54.
Old 22nd March 2014, 19:53   #414  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

The lack of PGS/DVB scaling is only a problem when using xy-VSFilter (VSFilter.dll), since it requires the PGS/DVB resolution to match the video resolution.

With XySubFilter this is not a problem, since it never touches video frames. PGS/DVB scaling is instead performed by Subtitle Consumer if needed, which both madVR and MPC-HC (EVR-CP/VMR9) support.
Old 22nd March 2014, 20:26   #415  |  Link
sexus

oh wow! never knew that so its already there , lols , well one more reason for the guys to make the transition better now than later ill add this immediately , thanks cyber for all the great insightful info ive learned quite abit and keep up the great work on the epic XySubFilter the Nr.1

Last edited by sexus; 22nd March 2014 at 20:34.
Old 24th March 2014, 00:18   #416  |  Link
Plutotype

Hi,
Would it be difficult to add support for rendering multiple subtitle streams? I mean having for example 2 external srt files ( with different language ) positioned nicely up and down?
I think I can do this with using MPC built in subtitle renderer with XySubFilter ( with different srt file ) at once, but just asking... sorry its crazy
Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 01:22   #417  |  Link
Sm3n

Hi,
I had the same issues as some of you guys with the latest version of xysubfilter. Now it's fixed by renaming files like it has been said...
But I noticed something, some srt still can't be loaded with some TS file. I don't know why. In the same folder I'm able to load the same subtitle on a mp4 file per example.
The solution? I have to convert the srt file to an ass file, and then the xysubfilter will load correctly the subtitle...
(sorry if I missed something on the issue, I didn't read all the replies.)

Cheerz
Sm3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 11:23   #418  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Sm3n, could you provide a sample of the TS + srt subtitle which refuses to load? The format of the video file shouldn't matter when loading external subtitles.

Do you use a different splitter, video decoder, or audio decoder for TS videos than you do for MP4 videos? Also, which media player do you use?

Does XySubFilter get loaded and fail to display the srt file, or does it fail to get loaded at all? If you set "XySubFilter settings -> Main -> Loading -> Always Load", does anything change?

Since you say that converting the srt file to an ass file resolved the issue, if you then convert the resulting ass file back to a srt file can you still reproduce the issue?

Is there anything special about the directory name or file name of the TS video? If you move and rename them to C:\test.ts & C:\test.srt does it resolve the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Please upload a log from the logging build.
Old 24th March 2014, 16:40   #419  |  Link
Sm3n2

OK, so.

I tried everything you asked to the moment I saw that my subtitle in question, didn't start with positive value:

00:00:00,-069 --> 00:00:01,238

My bad, I didn't pay attention when I resynced it... ^^'
So with negative value, xysubfilter doesn't load. My .ass subtitle was loading because of the conversion. My subtitle's converter put the negative value on "-0".

And when I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm3n View Post
In the same folder I'm able to load the same subtitle on a mp4 file per example.
it was for sure not the same. (was the same but synced differently.)
Issue solved. xD Thx for your help!

And just to answer, I use MPC-HC + MadVR + Lav (splitter & video) + FFDShow (raw video & audio) + AutoFrequency + ReClock.

ps: what difference there is between the version you uploaded on mediafire and the version on code.google?

Last edited by Sm3n2; 24th March 2014 at 16:47.
Sm3n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 18:36   #420  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm3n2 View Post
my subtitle in question, didn't start with positive value:

00:00:00,-069 --> 00:00:01,238

My bad, I didn't pay attention when I resynced it... ^^'
So with negative value, xysubfilter doesn't load. My .ass subtitle was loading because of the conversion. My subtitle's converter put the negative value on "-0".
What application were you using for resyncing and converting your subtitles? Have you considered using Aegisub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm3n2 View Post
ps: what difference there is between the version you uploaded on mediafire and the version on code.google?
If the mediafire build you are talking about is XySubFilter_3.1.0.682_x86_Logging.7z , the only difference is that it writes a debug log to C:\XySubFilter.log. The logging builds should not be used unless you actually require the debug log, since they can have significantly lower performance.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 24th March 2014 at 18:41.