Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 23rd December 2005, 16:52   #101  |  Link
MiGster

MiGster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2006, 22:42   #102  |  Link
MiGster

How to increase reverb

On your Stereo to 5.1 Converter screen which way is INCREASE effect left or right on each of the four sliders. Sorry, I'm a little dense....really getting into this though thanks to you.
MiGster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 00:43   #103  |  Link
ursamtl

The bottom three sliders increase the effect as you move them to the right. The Width Correction slider is slightly different. In its center position, the signal passes through it unchanged. Move it to the left, and the stereo image narrows; move it to the right of center and the width increases.

I'm glad you're enjoying the conversion hobby. It can become quite addictive.

Regards,
Steve.

Last edited by ursamtl; 8th January 2006 at 04:51.
ursamtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2006, 01:41   #104  |  Link
arnie.d

I tried V.I for the firt time today. I think even I can make a 5.1 upmix now! I noticed when using the default settings the center channel was twice as loud as the FR and FL channels, is this normal? I've set the center channel output to -6, then the channels are about the same volume.
Why are the center and LFE limiting threshold 0,85 by default?
Old 8th January 2006, 04:51   #105  |  Link
ursamtl

Hi arnie. I'm glad you're enjoying V.I. I'm surprised your center channel was so loud. One complaint I've had in the past is that it's not loud enough! As for the 0.85 setting, it was just a default setting in the layout. Feel free to change it to something that works better for you.

Regards,
Steve.
Old 10th January 2006, 11:44   #106  |  Link
f@chance

The complaint about the center channel is too loud and the FR & FL not loud enough may come from the impression that since the majority of scenes are conversation it should be full surround sound, but that is not desirable.

I do a lot of TV episode encodings and use the Movie Mode. In TV episodes most of the sound will come from the centre speaker and if you listen to the separate MONO files you will notice that in the FR & FL the voices are very faint, that is by intention and should be so.

My settings for FL & FR are set at -2.0 and the sliders are at default with the exceptions of the two bottem ones. The bottom one is at 7 and the next to bottom one is at 8.

After V.I. does its job I create 6 MONO wave files and open the Center channel, FR, SR & LFE in soundforge. I check the visual feedback to see if they have not deviated from what I have done in the past. Then I use the NORMALIZE process to attenuate the Center channel by just about 2 to 3 db from what it was.

This gives me a very pleasing DD 5.1 sound track especially as I like to turn up the volume. When playing back Stargate Atlantis for example, 75% of the sound comes from the centre channel with hints of ambience from the 4 others. But during the theme or battle scenes I get the full tilt boogie surround sound as expected. I also noticed that if you turn up the volume it will give a better surround sound effect with these settings.

Hope this helps and Steve thanks again for V.I. I am using this especially for Stargate Atlantis since the sound track that accompanies the HDTV broadcast is only DD 2.0.
f@chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 13:48   #107  |  Link
ursamtl

I'm happy to get the feedback and the detailed description of how you're using V.I. This will certainly help others who are trying to improve the soundtracks of TV series on DVD, etc.

By the way, check back in the coming days (perhaps even by the weekend). The next version of V.I is just about ready to roll out.
Old 12th January 2006, 01:30   #108  |  Link
guada 2

@ Hello ursamtl,

" To be honest, I have no idea, but I can guess that it's because Wavelab's surround mode assumes an euqla number of inputs and outputs. I might try creating a version of V.I with dummy inputs to see if that works.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you enjoy V.I " (ursamtl)

Good news.
After having installed SONAR 5 PRODUCER EDITION, VI function perfectly on Steinberg Wavelab 5.
Strange.... (I do not know more) but it functions in "Mode VST VI" with effect DirectX.

Your point of view on the question?
guada 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2006, 03:18   #109  |  Link
ursamtl

That's very strange. It sounds like Sonar is wrapping V.I as a DX effect and then Wavelab is in turn wrapping it as a VST of a DX of a VST!
Old 12th January 2006, 14:03   #110  |  Link
ursamtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by guada 2
@ Hello ursamtl,

" To be honest, I have no idea, but I can guess that it's because Wavelab's surround mode assumes an euqla number of inputs and outputs. I might try creating a version of V.I with dummy inputs to see if that works.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you enjoy V.I " (ursamtl)

Good news.
After having installed SONAR 5 PRODUCER EDITION, VI function perfectly on Steinberg Wavelab 5.
Strange.... (I do not know more) but it functions in "Mode VST VI" with effect DirectX.

Your point of view on the question?
Guada,

I'm curious, does V.I work in Sonar as well? If so, I'll add it to the list of supported hosts and perhaps someday find some info for a guide.
Old 12th January 2006, 16:28   #111  |  Link
guada 2

@ursamtl

Yes, It functions without problem with Sonar5 PE(5.0).
To soon
Old 12th January 2006, 17:48   #112  |  Link
guada 2

@ursamtl

After some REAL tests.

I am sorry to say to you that VI and II does not function with Sonar5.
I do not understand why, whereas it uses it perfectly well.

However Wavelab is OK.

You have an idea.
Old 12th January 2006, 18:10   #113  |  Link
guada 2

Its me again ursamtl,

Good news.

I reassure you, it functions with mode FX (audio effect) and not with "inserting effect" or "treating effect" (by making a double clic on the track).

it is OK for CAKEWALK SONAR PRODUCER EDITION (5.0).

You add it to list Now.
Old 14th January 2006, 18:40   #114  |  Link
ursamtl

V.I Suite 1.00 Released

Ladies and gentlemen....

I am very happy to announce that I've just released V.I VST Stereo to 5.1 Converter Suite version 1.00. I edited the guide at the beginning of this thread to reflect the new release.

New features:
  • User Interface updated.
  • New installer places VST dll files in VST folder, creates separate folder and Start menu links to documents, then installs Plogue Bidule layouts if you have Bidule.
  • Surround algorithms optimized for cleaner sound and lower CPU usage.
  • Ability to save and load patch banks added.
  • fLfR, CLFE, and sLsR plugins created for VST hosts that support stereo VSTs only.
I have also completed tests on a completely free (and of course legal) method of producing stereo to 5.1 conversions using the plugin suite. I'll be posting a guide shortly. I still think Plogue Bidule ROCKS and I strongly encourage you to buy it, but for those who can't afford it right now, my guide will be an option. Look for it soon!

Regards,
Steve.

Last edited by ursamtl; 14th January 2006 at 18:43.
Old 22nd January 2006, 17:51   #115  |  Link
ursamtl

V.I Suite version 1.1 now available

I am pleased to announce that I've just released V.I VST Stereo to 5.1 Converter Suite, version 1.1.

After last week's release of V.I Suite 1.0, I discovered that three out of the over 200 connections inside V.I had been inadvertently disconnected. This reduced the amount of ambience in the surround channels. This applies to the companion plugin sLsR as well. I've fixed this in version 1.1 and also added an improved front ambience algorithm that I've been working on. This new front ambience change applies to the companion plugin fLfR as well. I hope you'll like the result!

You can download V.I VST Suite here (3.8MB):
V.I Suite 1.1 Installer or as a zip file V.I Suite 1.1 Zip file
IMPORTANT!!!: This installer automatically checks your PC's registry for the current shared VST Plugins folder and defaults to installing the plugin in this folder. Be sure the VST host program you use (Plogue Bidule, Cubase, Nuendo, etc.) is set to read this directory. If your system does not have a default VST directory, the V.I Suite installer will place the files in a subdirectory of your Program Files folder called "V.I Suite." Of course, you can change this during the installation to whatever destination you wish.

Regards,
Steve.

Last edited by ursamtl; 22nd January 2006 at 18:04.
Old 22nd January 2006, 21:08   #116  |  Link
ursamtl

By the way, some people have noticed the error message "Some parameters could not be loaded" when opening the Plogue Bidule layouts for V.I. I've noticed this as well. Specifically, the effects presets I stored in V.I don't load. The plugin still works, but you may have to click the Load button at the top and load the vi.fxb effects presets file. The folks at Plogue are at the NAMM show right now so I don't want to bother them too much. Once they get back, I'll track down the problem and if necessary, fix the problem in an update or new release. In the meantime, V.I works very well. One of my friends has Nuendo and told me this morning that this new version works perfectly with it.

Regards,
Steve.
Old 23rd January 2006, 19:30   #117  |  Link
f@chance

Steve,

I installed the VI version 1.1 but to my surprise it shows as 0.9 in the left corner. Is that a result of the long hours you spent slaving over this thing in our behalf?

Also I tried to load the VI.fxb again but the some parameters could not be loaded still shows up.

Any help on the first item as long as I am using 1.1 I don't mind what it displays as I am about to do a Stargate Atlantis conversion.

Thanks
Old 23rd January 2006, 19:52   #118  |  Link
ursamtl

Hmmm, sounds like you still have v0.9 sitting on your hard drive and your VST host is finding it instead of v1.1. Double check where your host program looks for VSTs. If that doesn't work, do a search on your hard drive for vi.dll. There should only be one, and it should be dated January 22. Also, if you tried loading VI.fxb in version 0.9 then you'll definitely get the error message.

Regards,
Steve.
Old 23rd January 2006, 20:21   #119  |  Link
f@chance

I changed the Plugin Path in the Preferences for PL and 1.1 came up. I noticed that the sliders for the from ambience is set to center and that the movie mode is off by default.

Movie mode I presume is the one to use when lots of dialogue appears in the video correct?

Is the change of the front ambience because of your improved algorithm and to the left redues the front ambience an to right enhances the front ambience?

In the previous versions I had set the Front Ambience to 8, Rear ambience to 8 and the rear level to 7.

Dragging the slider for Rear Level to 7 will this reflect approxamately the same settings as before or are we talking about a totally new animal here because I also noted that limiting threshhold is gone. Since in the Front & Rear level my settings were -2.0 are these settings necessary again? I do like my Front & rear levels a bit lower in volume and rather raise the amplifier volume.

Finally I tried to LOAD the VI.FXB again but still the no parameter error occors, anything to worry about?

Thanks a lot for this excellent effort and you have a fan over here in the UK for producing such excellent audio tools.
Old 23rd January 2006, 21:38   #120  |  Link
ursamtl

f@chance:

Glad to hear you have the right version working now. Movie mode is intended to center dialog as much as possible yes, but it can aslo be effective with some music as well. As for the front ambience, yes, it seemed to be better to reduce the setting by default and then let those who want to increase it do so on their own as the ambience level it produces is stronger than it was in previous versions. This also applies to the rear level. In v1.1, the ambience extraction routine is stronger. As for the limiting threshold in the Plogue layouts, I decided to set all levels to no compression, just limiting. That way, people who feel the need to boost levels with compression can do so. At the far right setting, the circuit is limiting peaks to just below clipping level while still allowing for maximum dynamic range.

Let me know how the Stargate conversion turns out. This new version should give an even bigger sound for it.

Strange that you're still getting the parameter error. I really have to discuss this with the Plogue gurus and see if we can track down the problem. One trick I did find is that if select V.I and then right click and use Bidule's Replace command to replace it with another instance of V.I, the new instance loads in with the effects presets intact.

Finally thanks for the kind words. I enjoyed putting V.I and the related plugins together so I'm happy it's doing something for you. I'm working on a couple of other enhancements should be good as well. So there's more to come. For now, enjoy!

Steve.