Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 14th October 2004, 12:30   #1  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

Additions and comments on "GUIDE LIST: Stereo-to-surround Conversion.."

Hi folks,

as Freddy Mercury once said:

The Show must go on ( - even if one have to leave!)

After being forced to remove the old guide, here my first attemp of an easy click guide (version 1.0b)

feedback wanted!

Edit by KpeX: Please use this thread for comments and additions to the guide list at the top of the page!

Last edited by daphy; 6th December 2004 at 10:04.
daphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2004, 13:28   #2  |  Link
ursamtl

Daphy,

This is an excellent addition! I've added it to the Recent Additions section of the list.

Steve.
ursamtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2004, 19:27   #3  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

Hi folks,

today I have been very productive:

I made a complete besweet installation package

please take a look on it! This one must be upesttodate

Feedback wanted.

Last edited by daphy; 6th December 2004 at 10:04.
Old 15th October 2004, 11:51   #4  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

Hi folks,

next guide is ready:

How to split a 6WAV into single 6 mono WAVs

Last edited by daphy; 6th December 2004 at 10:05.
Old 30th October 2004, 03:28   #5  |  Link
Shayne

So with a list like that a little grouping of whats worth trying for what type of material is def required (grouping according to material). And no way in my wilds dreams am i going to try each one of these. So i would suggest order to these groups 1 2 3 in order of best results (your liking). This is a good start for some debate.

N i would like to know what happen to Eye of Horus guide sticky?

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...&pagenumber=37

Fairly lame if i do say so myself.

I think a public response to why doom9.org has taken this type of knowledge out of peoples reach is required.

Maybe it can be added to doom9.net guide list.

Peace
Shayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2004, 15:05   #6  |  Link
KpeX

EoH removed his own guide, it was his choice to do so. I was forced to remove it from sticky status as it is useless to have a sticky thread without a guide.
KpeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2004, 15:53   #7  |  Link
ursamtl

Hi Shayne,

I understand that no one has time to try all the methods listed but rating them could be problematic. Where will these ratings come from? No matter how it's done, someone is going to feel it's unfair. The moderators have asked me to categorize the methods, and that's what I've been doing. It's not complete yet by any means, but the grouping is coming along. You can check the guide list's List History section for a bit of an explanation.

As for the EoH guide sticky, as kpex stated, the Eye of Horus guide was removed by Eye of Horus himself on October 12.

Since then, I've been updating the guide list almost daily with new information as it becomes available, which you can see listed in the update notices. Daphy has put together a couple of excellent animated visual guides and I've written a generic guide thread that applies to all Plogue Bidule-based methods. Several forum members are putting a lot of work into their surround methods. SurroundBoy has contributed a nice guide for Motown-style music, and joshbm has been constantly working to perfect his DPLII guide. These developments will continue as forum members continue to contribute valuable information and build up our surround knowledgebase. I look forward to any contributions you may be able to make.

Regards,
Steve.
Old 30th October 2004, 16:18   #8  |  Link
Shayne

Quote:
Originally posted by ursamtl

...... I understand that no one has time to try all the methods listed but rating them could be problematic. ...........

Regards,
Steve.
I don't know Doom9 has been doing it with video codec for sometime. You need to start it somehow (your preference) and from there who knows scientific tests could develop. But to put this huge list here as a sticky is not of too much help.

With regard to EoH guide if daphy and EOH are around i have this pdf'ed and we could link to daphys' ftp if EOH doesn't mined?? And then we can put it high on the list.
Old 30th October 2004, 17:51   #9  |  Link
ursamtl

Quote:
Originally posted by Shayne
I don't know Doom9 has been doing it with video codec for sometime. You need to start it somehow (your preference) and from there who knows scientific tests could develop. But to put this huge list here as a sticky is not of too much help.

With regard to EoH guide if daphy and EOH are around i have this pdf'ed and we could link to daphys' ftp if EOH doesn't mined?? And then we can put it high on the list.
As I understand it, Daphy and @ndy removed the PDF version of the thread from Doom9, because EoH requested that the guide be removed as he considered it his "intellectual property."

As for the ratings system, I'd certainly be willing to consider some sort of ratings, but part of the difficulty is because different audio sources produce varying results, depending on the method. Perhaps a better system would be to simply find a way of listing projects that provided good results using a specific method. We could start a thread dedicated just to results and then I could link to specific posts from within the guide list. What do you think?

Steve.

Last edited by ursamtl; 30th October 2004 at 20:20.
Old 30th October 2004, 18:04   #10  |  Link
Shayne

Quote:
Originally posted by ursamtl
[i] ..... As for the ratings system, I'd certainly be willing to consider some sort of ratings, but part of the difficulty is because different audio sources produce varying results ....

Steve.
Please reread the first post?

Grouped in terms of audio source number in terms of best results is i think what i said?

And this rerouting a post in this fashion is borderline ridiculous.
Old 30th October 2004, 20:34   #11  |  Link
ursamtl

Quote:
Please reread the first post?

Grouped in terms of audio source number in terms of best results is i think what i said?
Ok, but again since rating the quality of a method is fairly subjective, it's hard to assign ratings that can be considered fair. Perhaps a better way would be for people to report on specifics of their experiences, such as I did with some test results.
Quote:
And this rerouting a post in this fashion is borderline ridiculous.
Sorry you feel that way. Forum moderators, not only here but everywhere, often transfer messages or whole threads for a variety of reasons. I've discussed this with the moderators and they agree that the list is meant to be a resource and that discussion of it is better if it's placed in this separate thread. That is why they split off Daphy's message at the beginning of this thread, thereby creating the discussion thread. As well, at both the beginning and end of the guide list, this thread is mentioned as the place to discuss the thread.

Regards,
Steve.
Old 6th December 2004, 05:59   #12  |  Link
trooper11

I applaud you for going to all the trouble to organize the varied guides and processes for 5.1 conversions. For a while I was trying to work alot with the first big guide that EOH helped put together, and it was great.

i did have a question though, or maybe its a suggestion lol.

Would it be possible to organize guides by what type of music the results work best for? For instance, my source will be alot of cd soundtracks, from anime and gaming types. Of course they all dont have the same sound, so I guess thats too broad of a genre. I guess Im just trying to save myself some time trying them all since i have alot of cds to do. If guides could be organized in order toof type like rock, classical, etc, that would be a help.

Also, a rating of complexity might be nice too, such as guides that are easier to impliment then others.
trooper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2004, 14:20   #13  |  Link
ursamtl

This is definitely a good idea, it's just a matter of how we implement it. It would require a lot of feedback from the people using the different methods. They could report back on their findings for specific projects. I'm certainly willing to include some sort of info in the guide list or to organize it in such a way, but I'd need the info from those doing all the different conversions because firstly for the results to be seen as credible and even somewhat objective, they have to come from a variety of sources, and secondly, I simply don't have the time to try all the different methods on different types of music. I just purchased a new 5.1 soundcard and speaker system. I'm spending a lot of time right now playing with that and exploring all its potential. Once I get that all sorted out, I'll be doing a lot of new surround experimentation.

There is also the issue of message length. I tried editing the guide list a few days ago and when I went to add another entry, the system told me I'd reached the message length limit. So, I'm going to have to split it up a bit.

Saving presets and plugin settings is another idea I've had floating around on my to-do list for quite some time. This could hold a lot of potential, at least for Plogue and Cubase/Nuendo-based methods. If someone came up with a consistently good result for certain types of music, he or she could save the settings in a file that would be placed somewhere so that others could download the settings. This is definitely something I plan to implement with V.I by distributing am fxb settings file with it.

So thanks for your idea, I'll definitely think about it. You might help by sharing your experiences with the different conversions, and hopefully others will follow suit.

Steve.
Old 7th December 2004, 07:55   #14  |  Link
trooper11

ok great, as i do more testing ill definitely report my findings and help organize things with you as much as i can, but of course im still rather new to the whole process lol, so it may take some time.
trooper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 13:52   #15  |  Link
ursamtl

Great! Thanks for your offer. Don't worry about the time it takes. We're not working under any deadlines here.
Old 5th May 2006, 23:17   #16  |  Link
oelewapper

An addition for general Reading and Information :

This forum contains more than 30 different guides about converting stereo to surround. A lot of the methods there give almost professional results and most of them use freeware only. It contains guides, not found here or anywhere else !

Last edited by tebasuna51; 2nd December 2022 at 23:35. Reason: spam
oelewapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 15:57   #17  |  Link
Elektra999
DTS Pro Series

Hi, Steve

I am testing guides it of Wave Lab 5.1, but me do not I clarify on what one must do in the step 6.

He seems me stupendous this he guides, but me do not I clarify in the step 6.

Thanks..
Elektra999
Old 12th September 2006, 23:03   #18  |  Link
ursamtl

Look on the left side of the track. You will see a silver box with the number "1" in it. When click on the box, it becomes a menu. From that menu, choose "Clone Track." This makes a copy of the track underneat it. Now do the same thing again to create a third track. This will give you three stereo tracks, to make up your six channels.

Regards,
Steve.
Old 15th September 2006, 19:14   #19  |  Link
Elektra999
DTS Pro Series

Hi, Steve
al to select, mode 6 channels, a message seems me of ASIO DRIVERS, I go al menu Options Preferences and does not appear ASIO Drivers

Thanks
Elektra999
Old 15th September 2006, 19:45   #20  |  Link
ursamtl

You could try installing ASIO4ALL, a free ASIO driver that sits on top of your WDM driver.