Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 18th May 2002, 16:18   #1  |  Link
orionware

Remux seems to cause slight pauses

For 5 days now I have been trying to re-encode the movie PI.

I've ripped with SmartRipper and the resulting VOBS playback fine with IFoEdit and WinDVD. I've reencoded the entire movie using ReMpeg2 and TMP with different degrees of bad results.

When remuxed the video pauses for a fraction of a second every once in a while. A quick freeze at random points in playback.

I've created the TMPTemplate per the instructions, messed with variable and constant bitrates and can never get a perfect result after remux.

Is this an issue with IfoEdit or am I missing a crucial step when configuring the re-encode?

I've seen this issue posted before with no real clear cut solution.
orionware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2002, 20:27   #2  |  Link
flash

This was bugging me for weeks!!
No one seems to have the answer to this problem,in the end I demuxed the ac3 sound with DVD2AVI,then had to reauthor the m2v&ac3 with Maestro but if you don't have this programme,( and it's hard to get hold off) you may have to convert the ac3 to wave which most author programmes support.

Some people say do the Rempeg bit before touching ifo edit,then remux and strip etc...This sould then work "So they say".
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2002, 20:33   #3  |  Link
orionware

Ahh

I'll have to try that. I have been stripping -> re-encoding -> remuxing and so far just about 40 wasted CPU hours as a result!
Old 22nd May 2002, 01:33   #4  |  Link
Mosaic

No rempegs fault - ifoedit

ORION ...there's no solution to it....some movies DONT remux properly with ifoedit or vobedit.

Try this to see. ....use VOBEDIT to DEMUX a VOB from your VTS ... then use it to REMUX the m2v u got.....

guess what ...playback of that VOB results in frame pauses at EXACTLY the same points every time.

REMPEG was never used.

FLASH ..... I ma having probs with the 3:2 pull down weith the ac3/m2v author procvess u mentioned.

I strip the m2v & ac3 out ...Smartripper 2.41 no probs ...I renecode the m2v to size wuth dvd2avi/TMPGenc 2.54 ...no probs.

I author & burn.....ARRRGGH ..I get revcerse fields in the p[layback on the settop. Prob is ...TMPGENC settings there are no fields all is set to 23.976/3:2 and progressive ...no field options at all.
Old 22nd May 2002, 03:10   #5  |  Link
bluespot

Well damn, how bout that. I always had my suspicions that ifo edit was the cause of this problem, I even asked Derrow if he could look into it (in this thread if anyone was wondering: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22372 )

I guess now we know for sure, and with a very easy method to reproduce the problem. Maybe now it would be a little easier to debug?
bluespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2002, 03:36   #6  |  Link
orionware

Interesting

This is interesting...

Something else I noticed. The video UnMuxed plays like a champ. I'll try to remux with VOBEDIT and see what happens on this end.