Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 5th September 2011, 08:03   #1161  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
Out of interest and given there is nothing in the tracker, is LAV CUVID "done", "stable" and feature complete (eg V1.0)?
Is it called 1.0? No? Right.

Also, what tracker? LAV CUVID doesn't have a public bug tracker.
Old 5th September 2011, 08:41   #1162  |  Link
Chillgurke

I think he meant, if any new features or updates planned ?
Chillgurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 10:12   #1163  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Is it called 1.0? No? Right.

Also, what tracker? LAV CUVID doesn't have a public bug tracker.
For some reason I figured it would be part of http://code.google.com/p/lavfilters/

Anyway ... just swapped out my last ATI card for a nvidia one. FYI - you are not the only one getting better results from nvidia over ATI. Cyberlinks PD9 can output AVC 50 or 60p using the nvidia GPU but not with ATI.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 14:02   #1164  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
Hi crunch. I made tests on 3840*1080 SBS file.

Here is my HW:

intel 540 on H55 (Clarkdale)
2*2GB RAM (1600 Mhz)
Geforce GTX 550 Ti

SW:

Seven 32 Pro, SP1 Build 7601
nVidia drivers 280.19

And here are my test results:

Splitters:

Haali,
Gabest,
LAV

Video decoders:

ffdshow video dxva,
lav CUVID

Renderer:

EVR Custom.

Avarage CPU usage is around 20%.

With same splitters and video decoders if i use MadVR as renderer, CPU usage climbs to 40% as expected since Madshi says:

EDIT: If you ask me "have you given it a go with MadVR only; as decoder+renderer?": YES, the result never changed.
_ _ _ _ _
I wasn't talking about that DXVA2 works on Nvidia sure it does i was more concerned if Nvidias Telecine does the 24.30 (evil_tree sample) correct either with Lav Cuvid or via DXVA2 over EVR or does in the end also fail like Quicksync does with DXVA2.
But as nev allready mentioned this sample is strange and for such a thing you would need something very adaptive to get it right
Though that it works in a full Software chain (Lav Splitter->Lav Video->EVR) seems to show @ least that Intels Telecine does it's job nicely and Nvidia should not fail here either on EVR with the same Software Decoding setup.

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 5th September 2011 at 14:10.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 21:37   #1165  |  Link
JanWillem32

For those interested, to quote myself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanWillem32 View Post
In regard to the evil trees sample, I've removed the pulldown, the flags were set rather wrong. The damaged parts of the stream are now clearly visible when enforcing a strict mode:-link removed-. That explains why I kept getting pauses during playback with all renderers I tried. The original stream was 24/1.001 fps progressive as 48/1.001 fps weave interlaced.

Last edited by JanWillem32; 18th September 2011 at 15:49. Reason: removed old link
JanWillem32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 22:39   #1166  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
I wasn't talking about that DXVA2 works on Nvidia sure it does i was more concerned if Nvidias Telecine does the 24.30 (evil_tree sample) correct either with Lav Cuvid or via DXVA2 over EVR or does in the end also fail like Quicksync does with DXVA2.
But as nev allready mentioned this sample is strange and for such a thing you would need something very adaptive to get it right
Though that it works in a full Software chain (Lav Splitter->Lav Video->EVR) seems to show @ least that Intels Telecine does it's job nicely and Nvidia should not fail here either on EVR with the same Software Decoding setup.
Crunch, with my nVidia GPU, Lav Splitter > Lav CUVID > EVR gives smooth playing; no dropping frames, no jitter but it shows 39 fps (on quality info) at 3-4% CPU utilization. (with Lav Video: 6%) (don't ask how )
But it is a damaged cut and all my experience say "interlaced short mpeg2 cuts are always problemetic unless they are cut by Video ReDo or VideoReDo TV Suite."
So this sample may never be a trial subject imo.

EDIT: I haven't used Cuttermaran for years, this might be another working way to cut the mpeg2 files correctly.

Last edited by rica; 5th September 2011 at 23:37.
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 16:41   #1167  |  Link
Xaurus

edit: posted in wrong thread

Last edited by Xaurus; 6th September 2011 at 18:03.
Xaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 21:52   #1168  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
edit: posted in wrong thread
If it is addressed to me, i just said your sample has been cut with a non-suitable SW (IMO) so it has lots of issues. This is not your fault.
Sorry maybe i posted in wrong thread?

Last edited by rica; 6th September 2011 at 21:55.
Old 6th September 2011, 23:04   #1169  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
If it is addressed to me, i just said your sample has been cut with a non-suitable SW (IMO) so it has lots of issues. This is not your fault.
Sorry maybe i posted in wrong thread?
It was about the clip, yes, but it was directed at JanWillem who has already answered my questions in another thread.

In any case, I will wait for the Blue Ray release of Game of Thrones (December) before I do anything.
Old 7th September 2011, 08:25   #1170  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Crunch, with my nVidia GPU, Lav Splitter > Lav CUVID > EVR gives smooth playing; no dropping frames, no jitter but it shows 39 fps (on quality info) at 3-4% CPU utilization. (with Lav Video: 6%) (don't ask how )
But it is a damaged cut and all my experience say "interlaced short mpeg2 cuts are always problemetic unless they are cut by Video ReDo or VideoReDo TV Suite."
So this sample may never be a trial subject imo.

EDIT: I haven't used Cuttermaran for years, this might be another working way to cut the mpeg2 files correctly.
Sounds good (though you shouldn't concentrate to much on any info displays but more on the actual motion with your pure eyes, as you know the stream is totaly wrong and depending on the sended mediatype flag the decoder and renderer will react strange though if it gets the motion smooth everythings fine) it fails on EVR Custom ? what is the result with MadVR ?
Also did you tested on EVR with Nvidias Telecine in the controll panel active or disabled ? (Though Lav Cuvid should overwrite this i guess)

Xaurus: You should also contact the ISV that Software you used to cut this and make him aware of this discussion

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 7th September 2011 at 08:48.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 20:59   #1171  |  Link
rica

Hi Crunch.

I can not see any difference between MAdVR and EVR.
Inverse telecine is enabled or disabled has no effect on the result.
EVR custom (even it shows 23.97 fps) fails; it has lots of dropped frames.
But as i told before this cut can not be reference.
Take care.
Old 7th September 2011, 21:29   #1172  |  Link
Kripsy

I've encountered a problem with a MBAFF 25p (flagged as i) AVC Blu-ray file and think I've diagnosed the troubles. The symptoms are video stuttering and are most prominent with madvr, but you can also see them with EVR. The trouble seems to be with the deinterlacing of the progressive material to 50fps even though the stream header says 25fps. If I turn the deinterlacing off or change the deinterlace framerate to 50p/60p then the stuttering disappears.

Sample: http://www.mediafire.com/?5f93gk9iw02tb0f
Kripsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 23:37   #1173  |  Link
Mixer73

Hi nevcairel

I'm a big fan of your projects, and I really love the quality, but I seem to have a performance bottleneck in my system and I was wondering how I might get to the bottom of it.

Decoding MPEG2 1080i streams, in PotPlayer with either EVR, EVR CP or madVR renderers, my system seems at best to drop approx 1 frame per second.

System is an i7/965 at stock clocks with a GTX260 card. Its running Vista 64bit at the moment and is in a dual-head configuration.

I'm planning on a fresh format to Win7 anyway but I'm wondering if my GPU is bottlenecking, and if this is the case whether upgrading to a DDR5 model might help, over the DDR3 RAM in the 260?
Mixer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 07:14   #1174  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The easiest way to check if there is some obvious performance bottleneck would be to get GPU-Z and check the video engine load, GPU load and memory controller load - as well as GPU memory used.
Old 8th September 2011, 07:34   #1175  |  Link
ney2x

I compare CoreAVC 3.0 to LAV CUVID 0.12, the result is this.

LAV CUVID 0.12
VPU Load = 33%
GPU Load = 12%
Memory Load = 721MB/1024MB
CPU Load = Average 14%

CoreAVC 3.0
VPU Load = 32%
GPU Load = 11%
Memory Load = 738MB/1024MB
CPU Load = Average 20%

*LAV Video 0.35
VPU Load = 0%
GPU Load = 38%
Memory Load = 332MB/1024MB
CPU Load = 30%

I used GPU Observer Gadget (I think it's the same as GPU-Z) to measure the loads. Filters used : LAV Filters 0.35, Reclock, madVR 0.74, MPC-HC. I don't know who is the real winner here but my observation is, faster seeking with LAV CUVID.

Is LAV Video a software decoder like ffdshow? Additionally, I got no glitches in madvr using LAV Video wherein CoreAVC and LAV CUVID I get 5-8 glitches, I'm using the default settings of madvr.

Last edited by ney2x; 8th September 2011 at 07:50.
ney2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 07:34   #1176  |  Link
Chillgurke

Hi Nev,

is there any update in the pipe ? Or a little roadmap for this great Decoder ?
Chillgurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 08:09   #1177  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ney2x View Post
Is LAV Video a software decoder like ffdshow? Additionally, I got no glitches in madvr using LAV Video wherein CoreAVC and LAV CUVID I get 5-8 glitches, I'm using the default settings of madvr.
Yes it is a pure software decoder. The increased GPU load is probably because the GPU actually goes into a lower power state. CUDA forces it into the high-power mode for some reason..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillgurke View Post
is there any update in the pipe ? Or a little roadmap for this great Decoder ?
I'm focusing on other projects at this time. I'm not aware of any issues that need immediate attention, everything is working pretty good.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 8th September 2011 at 08:16.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 08:20   #1178  |  Link
ney2x

Ohh lastly, if you're going to release new version of LAV CUVID, kindly skip 0.13 cause that's not my lucky number
ney2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 10:34   #1179  |  Link
devil-strike

I want to say, very GOOD job you have done on this codec, is allot beter than coreavc that dont even work anymore after 2.6 under dvbviewer.

Also channel change is allot faster than any codec i have seen, so keep up the good work.
devil-strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 12:49   #1180  |  Link
Mixer73

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The easiest way to check if there is some obvious performance bottleneck would be to get GPU-Z and check the video engine load, GPU load and memory controller load - as well as GPU memory used.
Very interesting.

Showing only 280mb used of 896mb, 16% GPU load, 6% Memory Controller Load, 6% Video Engine load, less than 5% CPU usage but I am still losing approx 1 frame every .5-1 second...

Testing again it seems to be more related to madVR than LAV CUVID. I think with EVR CP it drops almost no frames.

However if I have any significant CPU utilisation (say video encoding), it will drop more.

Do you have any idea whether being in dual head mode might have an impact?
Mixer73 is offline   Reply With Quote