Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Closed Thread

Old 14th February 2009, 20:35   #1001  |  Link

You're most welcome. Thank you for your useful testing and feedback.

As long as I am here, I'll mention a difficult issue I am working on. I ripped a blu-ray (Rolling Stones "Shine A Light") and found blocking on seeks in DGAVCIndexNV. It turns out that the PPS id 0 is being reused but the updated PPS's are sent once long before the seek point. That makes it VERY difficult to seek in such streams. It was OK when served because DGAVCDecodeNV injects the last PPS seen before a seek point (he has the index file). But when seeking in DGAVCIndexNV, you can just position to a random point in the timeline and thus the file. If the needed PPS has never been seen and is 50 MB back in the stream, what to do??? It's OK for blu-ray because they control the available seek points.

My options are:

a) forget it

b) add a "pre-parse PPS option", which could be used for such streams. You'd load your file and make a pass over the stream to collect PPS's. Then when you seek, you know the previous PPS.

Thoughts?

And while talking about this blu-ray disk, I found something else very interesting. I used AnyDVD HD to decrypt. Then, as I always do, I used Windows Explorer to copy the M2TS file to hard disk. But Explorer bombed out on copying a 40GB file. Insufficient resources nonsense. I Googled around and tried various things: Robocopy, xcopy, etc. All bombed. Then I thought let's try DGSplit with the segment set to the whole file and the destination set to the destination drive. It worked! Of course, it uses fread/fwrite rather than the Windows file copy API.

Last edited by Guest; 14th February 2009 at 20:47.
Old 15th February 2009, 14:50   #1002  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
It's OK for blu-ray because they control the available seek points.
Do you have more information about that? I'm having some trouble with some specific Blu-Ray titles where seek points are very rare. Currently I'm looking for IDR frames or SEI recovery points. Is there any other way in Blu-Ray to manage seek points? Thanks!
Old 15th February 2009, 15:24   #1003  |  Link

I just meant that the blu-ray player software has navigation that exposes only certain seekable points. It's described in the blu-ray spec. You can't just jump in anywhere. I'm still investigating this issue and will report more as I learn more.
Old 15th February 2009, 17:50   #1004  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Naming of log file

Hate to bother on a Sunday morning about this little thing, but I've not noticed this before, and am anal as hell so here goes. I like to index a .h264 file, re-encode it, then index the re-encoding itself, using VDub to double-check that my chapter marks have been set correctly, before tsMuxeR-ing to BD format. I noticed this about DGAVCIndexNV log files, when working inside a single directory:

1. Open video1.h264, Save Project as video1.dga, get video1.log from DGAVCIndexNV

2. Later, open video1.264 (output/result) and Save project as test.dga, to distinguish from the original video1.dga, but this overwrites original video1.log with a new video1.log, thus losing the original logfile

I'da thunk the log output would match the Save Project name, not the name of the video that I opened. No big deal, but I like to save all log files...
Old 15th February 2009, 21:47   #1005  |  Link
agilpwc

Just got this wonderful accelerator. Trying it out on some sample footage that was posted on the net from a Panasonic HMC 150.

http://www.dreamoncreative.com/~dvxu...D/BDMV/STREAM/

Most of the clips worked, but I had trouble with #4 and #95. Here is what happens, from command line, the index program is called and comes up, but doesn't do anything just sits their with a black screen. If I manually save the project I see no video in the window but it does index. Then when the script is opened in virtual dub I get an immediate divide by zero error and crash.

All the other clips worked without issue.
Old 16th February 2009, 03:19   #1006  |  Link

Hmm, weird. I was getting problmes, too, but not what you reported. Then I rebuilt the software completely and then it started working fine with 4 and 95. So please redownload 1.0.12 and try again. Let me know if there is still an issue.
Old 17th February 2009, 18:08   #1007  |  Link
agilpwc

Yes wonderful whatever you did seems to have fixed the problem.

One small thing, which isn't really an issue is when you invoke from the command line with a non existent input file the program just crashes. Just thought I would mention in case you wanted it to exit more gracefully.
Old 18th February 2009, 02:58   #1008  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by agilpwc View Post
One small thing, which isn't really an issue is when you invoke from the command line with a non existent input file the program just crashes. Just thought I would mention in case you wanted it to exit more gracefully.
Thanks for the report. I'll certainly do something more sensible than crashing. Silly me.
Old 23rd February 2009, 12:46   #1009  |  Link
Clumpco

Incompatible with remote desktop?

Hi Neuron2,

I have just discovered that connecting via RDP causes the frame server to throw errors. If it is serving you get display frame errors, if it is waiting it will not start.

Currently I am on V 1.0.3 and nvidia 6.14.11.8048 - I shall update later and see what happens. If necessary I can post the actual error messages later too - at present I have an urgent encode to do (which is why I tried to RDP in the first place).

Cheers
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:03   #1010  |  Link
squid_80

Remote Desktop kills Direct3D, which is the base that the CUDA video decoder sits on. Hence CUDA decoding will not work with it, use a different remote login solution such as VNC.
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:12   #1011  |  Link
Clumpco

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid_80 View Post
Remote Desktop kills Direct3D, which is the base that the CUDA video decoder sits on. Hence CUDA decoding will not work with it, use a different remote login solution such as VNC.
Hmm that sucks... as does VNC compared to RDP (Microsoft gets something right for once).
Thanks anyway...
Now, how to get MeGui to email me when it's done encoding?
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:31   #1012  |  Link
squid_80

Dunno... I've used a win32 command line program to send emails before (bmail.exe) but have no idea if it can be integrated into MeGUI. Maybe it could be added to the avisynth script using the Call plugin.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:54   #1013  |  Link
turbojet

Do the DGDecNV tools work on 64 bit operating systems?
A friend of mine keeps getting ERROR: culnit failed (100)
He has windows vista 64 home, GeForce 9800GT and he said the latest nvidia driver and copied nvcuvid.dll to system32 and syswow64 overwriting the ones already there. Any ideas?
Old 25th February 2009, 13:06   #1014  |  Link
Esurnir

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Do the DGDecNV tools work on 64 bit operating systems?
A friend of mine keeps getting ERROR: culnit failed (100)
He has windows vista 64 home, GeForce 9800GT and he said the latest nvidia driver and copied nvcuvid.dll to system32 and syswow64 overwriting the ones already there. Any ideas?
It work -perfectly- fine on my vista 64
Old 25th February 2009, 16:32   #1015  |  Link
onesloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
... and copied nvcuvid.dll to system32 and syswow64 overwriting the ones already there. Any ideas?
My understanding is that:
a) the system32 directory on Vista64 is *only* used for 64-bit drivers (i.e. not the DGAVCDecNV's included nvcuvid.dll).
b) nvcuvid.dll no longer needs to be copied anywhere as long as it's in the same directory as DGAVCIndexNV.exe and the CUVIDServer.exe you are running.
Old 26th February 2009, 05:07   #1016  |  Link
xopowo

For 64-bit if he were so inclined as to have to move the .dll, it would go in the /system/ directory anyway, not system32
Old 26th February 2009, 05:17   #1017  |  Link
kemuri-_9
Compiling Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xopowo View Post
For 64-bit if he were so inclined as to have to move the .dll, it would go in the /system/ directory anyway, not system32
it would go into sysWOW64 not system or system32
Old 27th February 2009, 10:45   #1018  |  Link
xopowo

I thought sysWOW64 was only for xp/2003 x64 builds? I was thinking of Win7 64-bit btw when I typed what I did. I don't have Vista 64-bit (using 32). Having said that, I'll make sure next time I know what the heck I'm talking about and read more clearly before answering
Old 27th February 2009, 13:50   #1019  |  Link
kemuri-_9
Compiling Encoder

SysWOW64 is the folder for things which use the Windows On Windows 64bit emulation subsystem.

all windows core 5 (XP/Server 2003) and core 6 (Vista/Server 2008) OSes that are x64 have it.

check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOW64 for more info.
Old 1st March 2009, 11:48   #1020  |  Link
Sharc

I indexed an m2ts successfully with DGAVCIndexNV and created an avs script. I can playback and seek the avs in mpc without problem.
Now when I frameserve to HCenc I am getting - during pass1 - the error message box <Server: cuvidDecodePicture() error> and HCenc seems to be halted. The CUVIDServer process is however still running (task manager).
What could be wrong?

Added:
Oops, I get the error also when I playback the script with MPC, and MPC stalls. So it has nothing to do with HCenc.

Last edited by Sharc; 1st March 2009 at 12:11.
Closed Thread