Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st November 2017, 10:34   #46981  |  Link
khanmein

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
I have heard that this problem is going to be fixed in next Win10 cumulative update (next week).

Until then you can fix it by "disabling fullscreen optimizations" in the Windows compatiblity settings of your player.
Yeah, look like Microsoft issue & even enabled Vulkan for Doom & Dota 2 also black screen + w/o any cursor.

Microsoft stated they fixed the issue in the Preview, but my cursor is disappeared & 'Alt + Tab' MPC-HC (FSE) or any Vulkan games will result the same behavior.

- We fixed an issue where toggling some DX9/DX10/DX11 games between windowed and fullscreen (for example using Alt + Tab) could result in the game window become black on certain PCs.

- We fixed the issue where if you RDP into a PC running this build with certain GPU configurations, when you go to sign in to the PC locally it will appear stuck at a black screen with only the cursor available
khanmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2017, 11:06   #46982  |  Link
Razoola

I just tried 385.41 and indeed HDR is turning on and off fine for me on win7 x64.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2017, 12:09   #46983  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
I managed to get it playing perfectly setting "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing", setting image downscaling to DXVA2, and also setting chroma and image buffers to 10bit. Pretty sure my ancient Arrandale chip didn't need such drastic measures to play these kinds of files! I have to use D3D9 because D3D11 is a complete mess and unusable.
There must be a way to make this work, I can play 1080i just fine on my 2011 laptop with Intel HD 3000.
Did you check that the video picture 'enhancements' are disabled in the Intel Graphics control panel? Is the power profile of the Intel Graphics on Balanced? Try creating an empty file named ShowRenderSteps in madVR's folder so you can see the detailed rendering stats, it might help.
Old 1st November 2017, 12:22   #46984  |  Link
jkauff

@madshi. I'm working with a new 4K computer monitor that I also watch some movies on. I can set up 50hz for my PAL content in Custom Resolutions with no problems (although not 25hz). When I try to do 23hz, however, the monitor accepts it and plays just fine, but when I try to save I always get the "GPU did not accept" error message.

I can set up 23.976hz using CRU 1.3.1, and it works fine, but of course I get no optimizations. What are you doing to set custom resolutions that is different from CRU, and is there anything you can change so that the GPU accepts the resolution?

Tonight I'll try to do one close to 47.952hz and see if I have more luck.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm running a GTX 1080 with latest drivers.

Last edited by jkauff; 1st November 2017 at 12:31.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2017, 12:54   #46985  |  Link
GCRaistlin

1. Which version of AMD driver is currently the best for madVR / Win8.1 / HD7850?
  2. What are the most powerful AMD videocards that is worth to use with madVR with Xeon L5240 / Xeon X5260 / Xeon E5430 / Xeon 5160 (please specify per CPU)?

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2017, 12:57   #46986  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
@madshi. I'm working with a new 4K computer monitor that I also watch some movies on. I can set up 50hz for my PAL content in Custom Resolutions with no problems (although not 25hz). When I try to do 23hz, however, the monitor accepts it and plays just fine, but when I try to save I always get the "GPU did not accept" error message.

I can set up 23.976hz using CRU 1.3.1, and it works fine, but of course I get no optimizations. What are you doing to set custom resolutions that is different from CRU, and is there anything you can change so that the GPU accepts the resolution?

Tonight I'll try to do one close to 47.952hz and see if I have more luck.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm running a GTX 1080 with latest drivers.
Have you tried making sure the monitor in question is not at a standard 23 or 24 hz resolution before you start the process of setting up the custom resolution?
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2017, 14:23   #46987  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
There must be a way to make this work, I can play 1080i just fine on my 2011 laptop with Intel HD 3000.
Did you check that the video picture 'enhancements' are disabled in the Intel Graphics control panel? Is the power profile of the Intel Graphics on Balanced? Try creating an empty file named ShowRenderSteps in madVR's folder so you can see the detailed rendering stats, it might help.
Intel power profile is Performance. Most of the enhancements are set to "Application Settings", and I've tried with Film Mode Detection both on and off. I'll try that ShowRenderSteps thing, thanks.

EDIT: OK so these screenshots are all with very basic settings with ShowRenderSteps enabled. It's a 1080i/25 video played at 1080p using DXVA2 native with DXVA deinterlacing. Any clues as to what's wrong here? The last screenshot shows when it's working but only just: render time is hovering at 19-20 ms.

DXVA2 native, DXVA deinterlacing, bicubic60 chroma, 16bit buffers

avcodec, DXVA deinterlacing, DXVA chroma, 16bit buffers

avcodec, DXVA deinterlacing, DXVA chroma, 10bit buffers

Last edited by DragonQ; 1st November 2017 at 15:51.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2017, 15:27   #46988  |  Link
Sebastiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmein View Post
Yeah, look like Microsoft issue & even enabled Vulkan for Doom & Dota 2 also black screen + w/o any cursor.

Microsoft stated they fixed the issue in the Preview, but my cursor is disappeared & 'Alt + Tab' MPC-HC (FSE) or any Vulkan games will result the same behavior.

- We fixed an issue where toggling some DX9/DX10/DX11 games between windowed and fullscreen (for example using Alt + Tab) could result in the game window become black on certain PCs.

- We fixed the issue where if you RDP into a PC running this build with certain GPU configurations, when you go to sign in to the PC locally it will appear stuck at a black screen with only the cursor available
The RDP issue is not fixed on my side on 17025 !!!
Old 1st November 2017, 15:40   #46989  |  Link
khanmein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastiii View Post
The RDP issue is not fixed on my side on 17025 !!!
I didn't use RDP, but Microsoft stated they fixed it. Hence, you should report to Microsoft.

Now, temporary I can't use FSE mode.
Old 1st November 2017, 17:03   #46990  |  Link
Sebastiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmein View Post
I didn't use RDP, but Microsoft stated they fixed it. Hence, you should report to Microsoft.

Now, temporary I can't use FSE mode.
Yep i have reported it
Old 1st November 2017, 17:32   #46991  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
Have you tried making sure the monitor in question is not at a standard 23 or 24 hz resolution before you start the process of setting up the custom resolution?
Yes, it doesn't have any low standard resolutions. Nothing below 48hz.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2017, 18:56   #46992  |  Link
Blackwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Here's my reply which I think you've ignored so far:

https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...ostcount=46670

thanks madshi and i just told you sorry,
i dont know why, but i miss your suggestions!!

Quote:
i have some iussue...

my htpc start and its already in HDR mode (my tv is a LG 65B6V) and it ok.

So i start to play the movie and it stay in hdr mode (i see the "hdr on" message), but when i double click on mpc-hc and it go to full screen not always stay in HDR mode, i mean the hdr mode go away....and i have to switch to full screen/windows mode several times, double cliccking, before i see "hdr on" in full screen mode....wondering why!
sorry for my english hope i write it good
maybe the nvidia driver?
Blackwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2017, 21:31   #46993  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Intel power profile is Performance. Most of the enhancements are set to "Application Settings", and I've tried with Film Mode Detection both on and off. I'll try that ShowRenderSteps thing, thanks.

EDIT: OK so these screenshots are all with very basic settings with ShowRenderSteps enabled. It's a 1080i/25 video played at 1080p using DXVA2 native with DXVA deinterlacing. Any clues as to what's wrong here? The last screenshot shows when it's working but only just: render time is hovering at 19-20 ms.

SNIP
Here's the same file (different section but times are pretty consistent anyway) playing on my laptop with Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Core i5-3320M), which should be noticeably worse. This is with the same settings as the second screenshot above: avcodec, DXVA deinterlacing, DXVA chroma, 16bit buffers.

Left: HD 530; Right: HD 4000

This makes no sense to me. Everything except "present" is significantly longer on the more powerful iGPU.
Old 2nd November 2017, 00:34   #46994  |  Link
huhn

try to check the your temps with hwmonitor
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:21   #46995  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
try to check the your temps with hwmonitor
I find it hard to believe it'd be throttling harder than a mobile chip in a laptop but I'll try to get someone with admin rights to help me out. Probably difficult though since all of these monitoring programs require administrator rights to run, not just install.

Last edited by DragonQ; 2nd November 2017 at 12:28.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 13:31   #46996  |  Link
aufkrawall

Btw. in case presentation glitches are driving you crazy all of a sudden: There seems to be an issue with the latest Nvidia driver or drivers when polling power sensor with tools like GPU-Z or Afterburner.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 14:10   #46997  |  Link
khanmein

Quote:
I find it hard to believe it'd be throttling harder than a mobile chip in a laptop but I'll try to get someone with admin rights to help me out. Probably difficult though since all of these monitoring programs require administrator rights to run, not just install.
Temporarily avoid using HWMonitor, not accurate anymore. They still unable to fix the core & memory clock issue.

Try to use HWiNFO & Open Hardware Monitor, which have portable application too.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...-guide.531329/
Old 2nd November 2017, 16:43   #46998  |  Link
mclingo

any plans to upgrade or change the deinterlacing, been watching some older HBO shows like "from the earth to the moon" recently and MADVR/LAV makes a real mess of these compared to something like phosphor in VLC, obviously that's the only thing VLC has to offer. I'm aware this is subjective though.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 17:09   #46999  |  Link
huhn

you are aware that phosphor works like this?
Quote:
Doubler. This filter attempts to simulate the rendering mechanism of a traditional CRT TV. The latest two half-pictures are displayed, the old one fading out. The strength of the fade effect can be configured in All Preferences, see Video > Filters > Deinterlace.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 18:55   #47000  |  Link
mclingo

yes, to my eye it still looks far better than anything currently available in LAV/MADVR/KODI.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling