Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th August 2008, 06:32   #101  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
everything exceeding the SD res should be encoded with the HD preset.
I think that in this case the difference between SD and HD needs to be clearly defined.

For example: Is 720p considered SD or HD? ????

Honestly I haven't experimented with 1080p encoding too much recently but I can assure you that all of my 10 reference frame 720p encodings play back with DXVA just fine with MPC HC. I don't use Powerdvd for much more than playing from disk so I don't know what it's capable of. None the less this grey area needs to be addressed.
saint-francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 09:18   #102  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon3i View Post
I basic agree with tetsuo55 about hardware/bluray profiles, should be one for HD one for SD.

For SD Level 3.0 and 3.1 are fine.

@tetsuo55, your calculation for level 3.1 are wrong.

MaxDPB for level 3.1 is 6750 so when that multiply with 1024 and divide with 1.5 (YV12) you get 4608000 so calculation for max refs are 46080007/(w*h)=max refs, VBV for level 3.1 should be --vbv-maxrate 14000 --vbv-bufsize 14000 for main and --vbv-maxrate 17920 for high profile.

Level 3.0 are more compact for SD video,IIRC all comercial encoders put Level 3.0 on first place, but aslo depends from many factors. I saw some encodes with level 3.2 and working normal on standalones.
Yeah 2 hardware profiles
SD
HD

And then the sub profiles fast and anime

Thanks i fixed the formula in the other thread and in MPC-HC

Quote:
nope, as i already said, SD presets has a higher number of refs and if SD preset is used for HD material DXVA wont work.
also levels are different. there are precise specs for HD and SD... so 2 different presets.
everything exceeding the SD res should be encoded with the HD preset.
We are not suggesting you Blend SD and HD.

We are suggesting that their should be 2 presets

HD
SD
(And then the sub profiles fast and anime)

Then regardless of which hardware unit you actually use you either choose SD or HD depending on the resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint-francis View Post
I think that in this case the difference between SD and HD needs to be clearly defined.

Honestly I haven't experimented with 1080p encoding too much recently but I can assure you that all of my 10 reference frame 720p encodings play back with DXVA just fine with MPC HC. I don't use Powerdvd for much more than playing from disk so I don't know what it's capable of. None the less this grey area needs to be addressed.
SD is 16*16 to 720*576 (please note the that preset expects you to play back on a Level3.1 capable device, so these encodes might not work on some lower res players like an ipod even if you use the native resolution of an ipod )
HD is 736*???? or ????*592 to 1920*1088

---------

Ideally megui or x264 would have an interactive mode that would use a calculation of "height*width*framerate* to find the lowest possible LEVEL. And then encode at that level. This way the resulting file would be compatible with any device capable of playing that level and any device with a higher level than that. Encoded files would truly be portable across all hardware.

The downside to this approach is that lower levels mean stricter limits on bitrate, a low resolution file encoded at level 3.1 would probably look a lot better visually.

This why i suggest splitting the hardware profiles into 3 parts:
HD, for all hardware that can play this
SD, for all hardware that can play this at native resolution
Custom profiles, based on level limits, for all hardware that do not have/support a 720*576(480) screen(this category already exists, the original xbox would belong here too because of its hardware limits as its actually a software decoder)

Based on the above i would suggest the following
Code:
Preset blend suggestion

HD-L4.1-Anime_Toons
HD-L4.1-Fast
HD-L4.1-HQ
HD-L4.1-Insane
SD-L3.1-Anime_Toons
SD-L3.1-Fast
SD-L3.1-HQ
SD-L3.1-Insane
Unrestricted-Anime_Toons
Unrestricted-Fast
Unrestricted-HQ
Unrestricted-Insane
(device specific for handhelds and xbox)
(left over unrestricted profiles)

The Only difference between Unrestricted and HD/SD would be that the unrestricted profiles have been limited with the level limitations, other than that they can be exactly the same (which basically only means a bitrate and ref frame limitation)

Last edited by tetsuo55; 4th August 2008 at 10:28.
tetsuo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 12:34   #103  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint-francis View Post

720p IS HD by definition. also the presets are made to be playable ON EVERY DXVA card with EVERY DECODER supporting DXVA.
MPC-HC decoder is accepting higher parameters than the commercial decoders but usually fails on older vDXVA videocards.

@tetsuo55: ill see what i can do but remember DXVA is not universal and it is a microsoft implementation. Levels are implicit in DXVA 2.0 specs for SD and HD.

Presets updated: v59.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 4th August 2008 at 13:50.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 13:48   #104  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Presets update: V60.
Old 4th August 2008, 15:22   #105  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
@tetsuo55: ill see what i can do but remember DXVA is not universal and it is a microsoft implementation. Levels are implicit in DXVA 2.0 specs for SD and HD.
DXVA has nothing to do with the videocards ability to decode video. DXVA is simply the language used to communicate between the cpu and the videocard.

The capabilities of videocards to decode h264 streams is no different from other hardware (although there are lots of bugs!)

Last edited by tetsuo55; 4th August 2008 at 15:48.
Old 4th August 2008, 15:26   #106  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

nope... DXVA is tech that's part of the directx and it was implemented by microsoft.
different video cards have different capabilities, DXVA is made of a common API to let the programmer make common code for different video cards.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 4th August 2008 at 17:16.
Old 4th August 2008, 15:49   #107  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
nope... DXVA is tech that's part of the directx and it was implemented by microsoft.
different the video card have different capabilities, DXVA is made of a common API to let the programmer make common code for different video cards.
You're right

But because DXVA is such a pain in the ass all newer videocards have "Bitstreaming" which is basically a bluray decoder on the GPU die. If you look closely there is 0 difference between the settings to create a valid bluray file and a valid DXVA file.
Old 4th August 2008, 17:18   #108  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

...except older DXVA enabled video cards that did that thru GPU programming...
Old 5th August 2008, 14:25   #109  |  Link
smackbadger

Is it possible to start with a DXVA preset, say DXVA-SD-Anime_Toons and change it to a one-pass Quality 22 CRF encode and still have the final output be DXVA compliant, or are 2 passes required to meet the DXVA specs? I'd like my encodes to work if I ever do buy a standalone device in the future, but I have plenty of disk space on my HTPC and I've seen multiple people say that CRF encodes provide better quality if you're not targeting a specific file size.
smackbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 14:38   #110  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

No. i will add the buffers for DXVA presets to be fully compliant. CRF and VBV (video buffer verifier) wont work as expected.
however it will all depend what will be the max bitrate of CRF 22 encode... if it's below the DXVA specs, it will work.
Old 5th August 2008, 15:45   #111  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
...except older DXVA enabled video cards that did that thru GPU programming...
Assisted decoder features are either the same or weaker than regular h264 hardware decoders.
That feature is more of a hack than a real hardware decoder(as most of the work is still done in software)

i hope its clear now that aside from a bug here and there(resulting on stricter or looser implementation of the h264 specs) the decoding engine for DXVA and Standalone is exactly the same thing

in other words, anything encoded with the bluray profile will work perfectly fine on a DXVA card and vice-versa

---------

Is it possible to use CRF and limit its bitrate at the same time, or would that make it useless? Depending on SD or HD the bitrate limit can be pretty high
Old 5th August 2008, 15:51   #112  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Nope i already told you its not the same. DXVA has no theoretical level and bitrate decoding limits but the videocards ACTUALLY can decode full level 4.1 high profile specs and max bitrate (50Mbps) depending on videocard manufacturer and the decoder used. while blu-ray players have a cap at 40Mbps (10Mbps lower than Level 4.1 HP max bitrate) for discs and 54Mbps for other storage (exceeding level 4.1 by 4mbps for HP) ... and that is by specs.
the 2 things are completely different but videocards have just some things in common with BD players for simplicity. so encoding for DXVA playback wont ensure Blu-Ray compatibility! at all.
h.264 DXVA has different specs than Blu-Ray or other standards: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo.../DXVA_H264.pdf
more on DXVA 2.0: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa965263.aspx
DXVA is a Microsoft tech... and it's different from anything else.
so this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post
in other words, anything encoded with the bluray profile will work perfectly fine on a DXVA card and vice-versa
is NOT true. it's just the ACTUAL DXVA 2.0 compatible hardware can also decode blu-ray video streams. nothing more...
infact, if you think at the Radeon HD 2900 it has DXVA 2.0 support but it is NOT able to decode Blu-Ray streams coz DXVA was implemented thru shaders perfectly respecting the specs but, as i already said, the blu-ray and DXVA specs are different.

for what concerns CRF and bitrate, if you are constrained with a bitrate, CRF has not much sense... use a RC mode.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 5th August 2008 at 16:36.
Old 6th August 2008, 10:41   #113  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

i read those documents for another reason hehehe. So i agree with you at this point.

It gets even worse(good coding could force DXVA to decode 3.1 streams with the 4.1 engine, thus raising max DPB and allowing 16 ref frames in sd files)

What i am asking for is a single profile that will create a file that will work on both bluray players and DXVA videocards
Old 6th August 2008, 12:51   #114  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

i dont think ppl will agree on using a "minimum common denominator" preset for both BD and DXVA...
i can add a general use preset that will work for both though but i will not remove any of the BD or DXVA presets.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 6th August 2008 at 12:53.
Old 6th August 2008, 18:24   #115  |  Link
chriszxl
Little red-cap

Now 60!!! thx a lot!!!!!!!!
chriszxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 18:29   #116  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

now 60, what?
Old 6th August 2008, 18:41   #117  |  Link
sasuke9999

why did you use trellis 1 with psy RDO and not trellis 2 in DXVA-SD-Anime_Toon? Trellis 2 with psy RDo schould bring the best quali or?
sasuke9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 18:48   #118  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

psy-rdo on animes is not so efficient, maybe at all. so i disabled it in all anime/toons presets.
i used trellis 1 to enhance quality. trellis 2 is slow and tends to "flatten" the image in non RDO modes or when psy-rdo is disabled.
feel free to edit our local the preset and use trellis 2 if you want. maybe i will change it at a later time.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 6th August 2008 at 18:53.
Old 6th August 2008, 18:58   #119  |  Link
sasuke9999

so --psy-rd 0 means its deaktivated and --psy-rd 1 aktivated?
sasuke9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 19:25   #120  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

psy-rd = 0 deactivated.
it is active BY DEFAULT.

Tags
megui, x264 presets