Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 15th August 2007, 15:13   #1821  |  Link
clsid

That is all intentional. In the past the installer would remember the installer settings from previous installations. But many didn't like that and wanted the installer to retain their current settings better.

The installer will read your current settings from the registry and adjust the checkboxes accordingly. So Xvid disabled in the installer means that Xvid is disabled in your ffdshow settings.

The options that cover multiple formats are hidden during update because it is not really possible to determine the correct state for them.

If you want to change all settings during an update, you should either uninstall first, or adjust the settings in the ffdshow configuration dialogs.
Old 16th August 2007, 01:37   #1822  |  Link
Amour

Quote:
The options that cover multiple formats are hidden during update because it is not really possible to determine the correct state for them.
Why? You cannot store it in registry like the others? Could you make it grey instead of hidding it? Because currently it looks like a bug.

And I wish that the "reset to default" would have the following behaviour: when selecting this option, it would check or uncheck the other boxes to make it like a default ffdshow configuration (eventually grey it). Currently, I do not understand the way it works: does it ignores all the other choices below?

Last edited by Amour; 16th August 2007 at 01:42.
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 10:58   #1823  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpman View Post
This sample http://rapidshare.com/files/49123646...acbug.mkv.html (22mb)(rapidshare) seems to cause an access violation after playing a few seconds.
It only happens with realaac, libfaad2 decodes it just fine.

Can someone confirm this?

using ffdshow rev 1371 here
I can reproduce the crash. Are you sure that the file is not broken?
Old 16th August 2007, 11:10   #1824  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
The ffdshow FLAC decoder doesn't seem to like 8 channels. Sound is distorted with ffdshow tryouts. Here's a sample file:

http://madshi.net/8.flac
Anyone? At least a confirmation would be nice. Thanks!!
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 11:43   #1825  |  Link
Warpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko_yamagata View Post
I can reproduce the crash. Are you sure that the file is not broken?
well it works fine with libfaad2 and i have another sample which shows the same behavier. I don't think they are both broken.
Just tried coreAAC and it plays fine as well.
But i noticed both file have unusual high jitter up to +-150 maybe realaac can't handle this?
My newer encoded files have no jitter at all.

i just let it run in vlc's debug mode
it returnes
faad warning: Gain control not yet implemented
main warning: buffer is 42651 in advance, triggering downsampling
main warning: timing screwed, stopping resampling

at the points where realaac usally crashes.

But don't ask me what that means

@madshi
i can confirm this, debug says:
flac debug: decode STREAMINFO
flac debug: channels:8 samplerate:48000 bitspersamples:16
flac debug: STREAMINFO decoded
flac error: This stream uses too many audio channels
i guess 8channels are not implementet atm.

Last edited by Warpman; 16th August 2007 at 12:14.
Warpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 13:07   #1826  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amour View Post
Why? You cannot store it in registry like the others? Could you make it grey instead of hidding it? Because currently it looks like a bug.

And I wish that the "reset to default" would have the following behaviour: when selecting this option, it would check or uncheck the other boxes to make it like a default ffdshow configuration (eventually grey it). Currently, I do not understand the way it works: does it ignores all the other choices below?
Lets say an option covers 5 formats. You disable one of them after installation. Now what should the state be for the 5 formats together? It is undefined.

Reset to defaults cannot modify the current selection in the installer. At least not with any complicated scripts, which I am certainly not going to write. If you want to reset, you should do a clean install, not an update.

I think it might be a better idea to completely hide the format options during an update installation. So that a user is forced to use the ffdshow configuration screens to make changes.
Old 16th August 2007, 14:20   #1827  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
well it works fine with libfaad2 and i have another sample which shows the same behavier. I don't think they are both broken.
Just tried coreAAC and it plays fine as well.
But i noticed both file have unusual high jitter up to +-150 maybe realaac can't handle this?
My newer encoded files have no jitter at all.

i just let it run in vlc's debug mode
it returnes
faad warning: Gain control not yet implemented
main warning: buffer is 42651 in advance, triggering downsampling
main warning: timing screwed, stopping resampling

at the points where realaac usally crashes.

But don't ask me what that means
Thank you very much.
From readme.txt of realaac,
Quote:
Not currently supported:
- main or SSR profile, LTP
- coupling channel elements (CCE)
- 960/1920-sample frame size
- low-power mode SBR
- downsampled (single-rate) SBR
- parametric stereo
Do these infomation help?
Old 16th August 2007, 16:09   #1828  |  Link
Warpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko_yamagata View Post
Thank you very much.
From readme.txt of realaac,

Do these infomation help?
Well i don't know the settings i used for the files (unfortunatly).
So it's quite possible that i used something not yet implemented in realaac.

I'll just reencode those 2 files and see if the problem occurs again in the future.

Thank you for your help.

Is libfaad2 the preferable decoder then? Or does it have some other limitations?
Warpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2007, 12:39   #1829  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Is libfaad2 the preferable decoder then? Or does it have some other limitations?
I'm not sure.
Old 17th August 2007, 23:33   #1830  |  Link
sarvatt

AC3 output is not working for me at all in 1425 on vista x32 on 2 machines, had to revert to 1413. This is with ogg, mp3 and AAC input sources, did not check any others before reverting. If I select don't encode multichannel streams I can get sound on non multi channel sources through MPC, but for some reason it is outputting LPCM that way needing another decoder to be added to the graph. I don't know what other information is needed but I will pass along anything that can help track it down if requested.
sarvatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2007, 20:32   #1831  |  Link
Delerue

Weird bug. If you check the avisynth plugin you can't open a video with MPC if there's another running at the same time. I'm using MPC last version from clsid and FFDShow build 1425. The message I got is 'failed to query the needed interfaces for playback'.
Delerue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2007, 21:16   #1832  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerue View Post
Weird bug. If you check the avisynth plugin you can't open a video with MPC if there's another running at the same time. I'm using MPC last version from clsid and FFDShow build 1425. The message I got is 'failed to query the needed interfaces for playback'.
Are you using tsp's modified AviSynth? The one with the patches for MT? If so, that's probably a bug in there, as it doesn't happen with regular AviSynth 2.5.7...

np: Sofa Surfers - Can I Get A Witness (ft. Dawna Lee) (Encounters)
Old 19th August 2007, 06:34   #1833  |  Link
Delerue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leak View Post
Are you using tsp's modified AviSynth? The one with the patches for MT? If so, that's probably a bug in there, as it doesn't happen with regular AviSynth 2.5.7...
You're right. I installed the official version and now is working great. Thanks.
Delerue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2007, 09:33   #1834  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Vorbis Decoders Still Bad?

edit: Sry ignore this post: the problem was on my side and has been fixed already
--

Vrobis decoders in ffdshow are still bad. Tremor was known to be bad, but the current Tremor, so called high accuracy mode, is still poor in quality. libavcodec is as bad as Tremor too.

The quality difference is so obvious that scoring 15/15 at abx against CoreVorbis is quite easy. I don't know why this is happening. To get decent quality, I'd have to recommend to disable Vorbis decoders in ffdshow and to use CoreVorbis (or maybe MPC's internal one).

Samples.
http://ffdshow.faireal.net/tmp/Vorbis_Test_Input.ogg
OggEnc v2.83 (libvorbis aoTuVr1), ~ 2sec, 43KiB

Decoded by:
- CoreVorbis
http://ffdshow.faireal.net/tmp/Vorbi...CoreVorbis.wav
- ffdshow (lavc)
http://ffdshow.faireal.net/tmp/Vorbis_Test_lavc.wav

tested ffdshow_beta3_rev1324_20070701_clsid.exe

edit: adding this.
- Decoded by foobar2000:
http://ffdshow.faireal.net/tmp/Vorbis_Test_fb2k.wav

Last edited by Liisachan; 20th August 2007 at 06:10. Reason: solved
Liisachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2007, 11:15   #1835  |  Link
sarvatt

Is there any way to have ffdshow use alternative codecs (similar to how you can pick xvid or WMV9) on the codec page? I would prefer to use ffdshow for subtitle decoding for all of my material with all of the wonderful fixes it has gotten lately and have it use coreavc for the h264 decoding, but I don't know how to do it without loading ffdshow as a postprocessing filter which would interfere with hardware acceleration on TV in the playback app I use. VSFilter doesn't work for me in mediaportal or MPC's EVR (non-custom presenter mode) whereas FFDShow does, and it would be nice to be able to do it without having to use libavcodec for h264 or loading a seperate postprocessing filter for all videos Thanks in advance for any tips on it.
sarvatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2007, 11:35   #1836  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Wow sarvatt, you requested exactly what I had in mind the last couple of days. (since coreavc is a bit faster than ffdshow's internal x264 decoder and ffdshow is great for subs, consuming less CPU than vobsub too).

A question though, when i select WMV9 for decoding instead of libavcodec for WMV type, how exactly does it work since when building such graph in graphedit, i don't see "WMVideo Decoder DMO" anywhere? It it in use but somehow hidden from the graph?
Later,

TSR
TheShadowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2007, 11:47   #1837  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarvatt View Post
Is there any way to have ffdshow use alternative codecs (similar to how you can pick xvid or WMV9) on the codec page? I would prefer to use ffdshow for subtitle decoding for all of my material with all of the wonderful fixes it has gotten lately and have it use coreavc for the h264 decoding, but I don't know how to do it without loading ffdshow as a postprocessing filter which would interfere with hardware acceleration on TV in the playback app I use.
Ummm... the problem here is that "postprocessing" and "adding subtitles" is exactly the same problem - both have to alter the video the decoder produces, and hardware acceleration just won't work right once you put something in between hardware decoding and rendering...

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this won't work because of DRM considerations - after all, if a filter can just alter the hardware decoded video it can just save the frames out to disc, making any kind of content protection moot.

np: Tocotronic - Wehrlos (Kapitulation)
Old 19th August 2007, 12:04   #1838  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

There's a dead simple way to use coreavc for decoding and ffdshow for subtitles... Just set ffdshow to decode raw video
check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2007, 12:31   #1839  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

check, yeah rite
Wayyyy too CPU consuming :/
TheShadowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2007, 12:40   #1840  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

It is? I can't see how integrating coreavc into ffdshow would be any faster -- subtitle blitting simply takes a lot of CPU.
check is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl