Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th November 2018, 00:44   #1  |  Link
FLX90

Convert DTS to Dolby and any Lossless to Apple Lossless [BluRay]

Hello everybody,

I have a large BluRay collection and want it to get into my iTunes library to play on AppleTV.
I have no idea of transcoding and stuff like that, but I read many threads here and on other forums and acquire some knowledge.

First. Your program, madshi, is very great. Thank you for this awesome tool!

I need to convert the DTS-audio-streams to Dolby. And I used eac3to for that.

The Audio-Streams of the BluRay are the following and I need them to put into the mentioned codec:

- DTS --> Dolby Digital (AC-3)
- DTS-HD High Resolution --> Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3)
- DTS-HD Master --> Apple Lossless (ALAC)
- Dolby TrueHD --> Apple Lossless (ALAC)

Here are the code snippets and their logs I used for some example BluRay-Rips.

Code-Snippet for DTS-HD Master & Dolby Digital --> Apple Lossless & Dolby Digital:

Code:
mkvmerge -i german_dd_to_ac3__english_dtshdma_to_alac.mkv
mkvextract tracks german_dd_to_ac3__english_dtshdma_to_alac.mkv 0:video.h264 1:audio1.ac3 2:audio2.dtshdma 3:sub1.srt
ffmpeg -i  german_dd_to_ac3__english_dtshdma_to_alac.mkv -f ffmetadata chapters
eac3to audio2.dtshdma audio2.flac
eac3to audio2.dtshdma audio2_core.ac3
ffmpeg -i audio2.flac -acodec alac audio2.m4a
ffmpeg^
 -i video.h264 -i audio1.ac3 -i audio2.m4a -i audio2_core.ac3 -i sub1.srt -i chapters^
 -map 0:0 -map 1:0 -map 2:0 -map 3:0 -map 4:0^
 -metadata:s:a:0 language=ger -metadata:s:a:0 handler="Dolby Digital" -metadata:s:a:1 language=eng -metadata:s:a:1 handler="Apple Lossless" -metadata:s:a:2 language=eng -metadata:s:a:2 handler="Dolby Digital" -metadata:s:s:0 language=ger -metadata:s:s:0 handler="Deutsch"^
 -disposition:a:0 default -disposition:a:1 0 -disposition:a:2 0^
 -movflags disable_chpl^
 -c:s mov_text -c:v copy -c:a copy^
 german_dd_to_ac3__english_dtshdma_to_alac.m4v 2>> ffmpeg.log
ffmpeg1.log

Code-Snippet for DTS-HD Master & DTS --> Apple Lossless & Dolby Digital:

Code:
mkvmerge -i german_dts_to_ac3__english_dtshdma_to_alac.mkv
mkvextract tracks german_dts_to_ac3__english_dtshdma_to_alac.mkv 0:video.h264 1:audio1.dts 2:audio2.dtshdma 3:sub1.srt
ffmpeg -i  german_dts_to_ac3__english_dtshdma_to_alac.mkv -f ffmetadata chapters
eac3to audio1.dts audio1.ac3
ffmpeg -i audio2.flac -acodec alac audio2.m4a
ffmpeg^
 -i video.h264 -i audio1.ac3 -i audio2.m4a -i audio2_core.ac3 -i sub1.srt -i chapters^
 -metadata:s:a:0 language=ger -metadata:s:a:0 handler="Dolby Digital" -metadata:s:a:1 language=eng -metadata:s:a:1 handler="Apple Lossless" -metadata:s:a:2 language=eng -metadata:s:a:2 handler="Dolby Digital" -metadata:s:s:0 language=ger -metadata:s:s:0 handler="Deutsch"^
 -movflags disable_chpl^
 german_dts_to_ac3__english_dtshdma_to_alac.m4v 2>> ffmpeg.log
ffmpeg2.log

Code-Snippet for Dolby TrueHD & Dolby Digital --> Apple Lossless & Dolby Digital:

Code:
mkvmerge -i german_dd_to_ac3__english_truehd_to_alac.mkv
mkvextract tracks german_dd_to_ac3__english_truehd_to_alac.mkv 0:video.h264 1:audio1.ac3 2:audio2.truehd 3:audio2_core.ac3 4:sub1.srt
ffmpeg -i  german_dd_to_ac3__english_truehd_to_alac.mkv -f ffmetadata chapters
eac3to audio2.truehd audio2.flac
ffmpeg -i audio2.flac -acodec alac -af "aformat=channel_layouts=7.1(wide)" audio2.m4a
ffmpeg^
 -movflags disable_chpl^
 german_dd_to_ac3__english_truehd_to_alac.m4v 2>> ffmpeg.log
ffmpeg3.log

Code-Snippet for DTS-HD Master & Dolby Digital Plus --> Apple Lossless & Dolby Digital Plus:

Code:
mkvmerge -i german_dd+_to_eac3__english_dtshdma_to_alac.mkv
mkvextract tracks german_dd+_to_eac3__english_dtshdma_to_alac.mkv 0:video.h264 1:audio1.eac3 2:audio2.dtshdma 3:sub1.srt 4:sub2.srt
ffmpeg -i  german_dd+_to_eac3__english_dtshdma_to_alac.mkv -f ffmetadata chapters
ffmpeg -i audio2.flac -acodec alac -af "aformat=channel_layouts=7.1(wide)" audio2.m4a
ffmpeg^
 -i video.h264 -i audio1.eac3 -i audio2.m4a -i audio2_core.ac3 -i sub1.srt -i sub2.srt -i chapters^
 -map 0:0 -map 1:0 -map 2:0 -map 3:0 -map 4:0 -map 5:0^
 -metadata:s:a:0 language=ger -metadata:s:a:0 handler="Dolby Digital Plus" -metadata:s:a:1 language=eng -metadata:s:a:1 handler="Apple Lossless" -metadata:s:a:2 language=eng -metadata:s:a:2 handler="Dolby Digital" -metadata:s:s:0 language=ger -metadata:s:s:0 handler="Deutsch" -metadata:s:s:1 language=eng -metadata:s:s:1 handler="Englisch"^
 -disposition:a:0 default -disposition:a:1 0 -disposition:a:2 0 -disposition:s:0 default^
 -movflags disable_chpl^
 german_dd+_to_eac3__english_dtshdma_to_alac.m4v 2>> ffmpeg.log
ffmpeg4.log

ffmpeg5.log (also tried with mp4-container)

Code-Snippet for DTS-HD Master & DTS-HD High Resolution --> Apple Lossless & Dolby Digital Plus:

Code:
mkvmerge -i german_dtshr_to_eac3__english_dtshdma_to_alac.mkv
mkvextract tracks german_dtshr_to_eac3__english_dtshdma_to_alac.mkv 0:video.h264 1:audio1.dtshr 2:audio2.dtshdma
ffmpeg -i  german_dtshr_to_eac3__english_dtshdma_to_alac.mkv -f ffmetadata chapters
eac3to audio1.dtshr audio1.eac3
ffmpeg^
 -i video.h264 -i audio1.eac3 -i audio2.m4a -i audio2_core.ac3 -i chapters^
 -map 0:0 -map 1:0 -map 2:0 -map 3:0^
 -metadata:s:a:0 language=ger -metadata:s:a:0 handler="Dolby Digital Plus" -metadata:s:a:1 language=eng -metadata:s:a:1 handler="Apple Lossless" -metadata:s:a:2 language=eng -metadata:s:a:2 handler="Dolby Digital"^
 -movflags disable_chpl^
 -c:v copy -c:a copy^
 german_dtshr_to_eac3__english_dtshdma_to_alac.m4v 2>> ffmpeg.log

First of all.
The procedure is always the same (make mkv from BD --> extract mkv --> convert audiostreams --> put them into m4v container).
Is this a proper way to do that?

The first three are working very well and the last two have problems with E-AC-3.

So here are the questions I have:

1. My chapters from the mkv I extract with ffmpeg (ffmpeg -i input.mkv -f ffmetadata chapters) are in text-format. How can I convert them to tx3g (or extract tx3g from mkv).
2. I can set a subtitle to default (-disposition:s:0 default), I need it to be default and forced. Trying it the same way (-disposition:s:0 forced) did not work. How can I do that?
3. When I have to transcode an audio stream with eac3to (so except lossless -> lossless convert), there is always a difference of 0.03 sec to source audio stream (transcode: 01:40:05.79; source: 01:40:05.76). How can I avoid this?
4. I have some warnings about timestamps and durations in my log:
[ac3 @ 00000000005989c0] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
[ipod @ 0000000002ca4940] Timestamps are unset in a packet for stream 0. This is deprecated and will stop working in the future. Fix your code to set the timestamps properly
[ipod @ 0000000002ca4940] pts has no value
Will they disappear when I put timestamps into pts-format in the container?
I can extract them from mkv (mkvextract timecodes_v2 input.mkv 0:video.timecodes.txt 1:audio1.timecodes.txt 2:audio2.timecodes.txt 3:sub1.timecodes.txt 4:sub2.timecodes.txt 5:sub3.timecodes.txt 6:sub4.timecodes.txt) but only in timecodes_v2-format. So how can I convert timecodes_v2 in pts and put them into the container?
4. How to find out the frame size and tell it to ffmpeg (because of this warning: [ipod @ 0000000002ca4940] track 1: codec frame size is not set)?
5. What does this warning message mean: [h264 @ 0000000000444240] Stream #0: not enough frames to estimate rate; consider increasing probesize. And how to avoid it?
6. I will buy the necessary software to get the best results from eac3to (Nero, ArcSoft, Sonic, SurCode, ...). In theoretic, will I get better quality results when I use DTS:X Content Creator Suite and Dolby Media Producer Suite?
7. The conversion of DTS-HD Master and Dolby TrueHD to Apple Lossless takes very long time and CPU usage compared to FLAC to ALAC. Why, when it should be only a lossless to lossess "copy"?

Now the conversions I could not handle.

DTS-HD Master & Dolby Digital Plus --> Apple Lossless & Dolby Digital Plus:
I could not put the E-AC-3 stream into the m4v-Container ([ipod @ 000000000328e140] Could not find tag for codec eac3 in stream #1, codec not currently supported in container; Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?): Invalid argument). So I tried the mp4-container.
The conversion is almost finished, than ffmpeg crashes with the following error message: Assertion s->buf_ptr < s->buf_end failed at src/libavcodec/put_bits.h:108.
How can I put E-AC-3 into the m4v-Container?

DTS-HD Master & DTS-HD High Resolution --> Apple Lossless & Dolby Digital Plus:

Eac3to was not able to convert DTS-HD High Resolution to Dolby Digital Plus (eac3to audio1.dtshr audio1.eac3 --> This audio conversion is not supported.). How can I handle this?

It would be really nice if you can help me with my questions.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Felix
Attached Files
File Type: txt ffmpeg1.log.txt (57.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: txt ffmpeg2.log.txt (59.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: txt ffmpeg3.log.txt (68.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: txt ffmpeg4.log.txt (5.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: txt ffmpeg5.log.txt (73.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by FLX90; 13th November 2018 at 07:18.
FLX90 is offline   Reply With Quote