Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 25th March 2007, 15:24   #881  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko_yamagata View Post
It's embedded, none the less, Windows Xp32 requires external manifest to get Xp visual style work.
They can be external or internally embedded as a resource.
Quote:
I don't know about Xp64.
Changing the line processorArchitecture="X86" to processorArchitecture="*" worked when I was .NETting a while ago...
Quote:
If you want to install VC8 SP1 redist, you have to uninstall VC8 sp- redist (when I tested before, sp1beta).
Can somebody upload the VC8 SP1 redist? I can't find it on microsoft.com...
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 15:42   #882  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastplayer View Post
They can be external or internally embedded as a resource.
Well, just install a build using MSVC8, remove ffdshow.ax.manifext and launch the dialog, you'll find Xp visual style is gone even though ffdshow.ax have a proper embedded manifest as a resource. I think it's a bug of Xp. The manifest loading CRT is processed properly in Xp without external manifest. So Xp requires both embedded and external manifest.

As for the AR problem, I found a similar problem using VMR9 renderless-mixer mode(MPC).

Last edited by haruhiko_yamagata; 25th March 2007 at 15:46.
haruhiko_yamagata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 15:47   #883  |  Link
fastplayer

Where can I get a VC8 build of ffdshow? Your builds are not available anymore on sourceforge...

Edit: Found one on http://ffdshow.wyrdic.net/.
Edit: Regarding the VS problems. Please check out 6th post here:
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...44703&SiteID=1

Last edited by fastplayer; 25th March 2007 at 15:58.
Old 25th March 2007, 16:28   #884  |  Link
clsid

I will make some adjustments to the install script so that it can be used to install 64-bit binaries.

Compiling libavcodec with MSVC will probably produce a partially broken binary. Certainly if some asm code must be disabled. There are also two ToDo's that need to be fixed in ffv1.c
Old 25th March 2007, 16:34   #885  |  Link
Dr Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko_yamagata View Post
It's embedded, none the less, Windows Xp32 requires external manifest to get Xp visual style work. Vista does not have this bug. I don't know about Xp64.
I don't think that should be the case; I'm sure I've seen themed programs that use only an embedded manifest, just as long as the manifest is correct. The manifests

Quote:
Why do you think so? The installer has been tested and works. What's wrong with using private assemlbies?
They're hard to patch for e.g. security updates.

Quote:
If you want to install VC8 SP1 redist, you have to uninstall VC8 sp- redist (when I tested before, sp1beta). I don't think it's a good idea.
Is that actually true, and if it is true, is that actually a problem? None of my VC8 programs have broken since installing VC8SP1, and my SxS directory seems to have both RTM and SP1 runtime libraries, so I think they can coexist fine.

Quote:
As for x64, ffavisynth.dll may require shared assembly or private assembly for it's own directory. In win32, it's compiled by MSVC7, but in x64, MSVC7 can't compile.
How would I test that?

The only thing I've found that's obviously broken in x64 is the OSD; the display is completely corrupt. This isn't new, though; the old ffdshow x64 build has the same problem, so whatever's broken has been broken for many months.
Dr Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 16:36   #886  |  Link
Dr Pizza

Quote:
Where can I get a VC8 build of ffdshow? Your builds are not available anymore on sourceforge...

Edit: Found one on http://ffdshow.wyrdic.net/.
Edit: Regarding the VS problems. Please check out 6th post here:
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...44703&SiteID=1
Ah, I only ever build unicode programs (multibyte just needs to go away and die), so I guess I've always had the right manifests embedded correctly.
Old 25th March 2007, 16:42   #887  |  Link
Dr Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
I will make some adjustments to the install script so that it can be used to install 64-bit binaries.

Compiling libavcodec with MSVC will probably produce a partially broken binary. Certainly if some asm code must be disabled. There are also two ToDo's that need to be fixed in ffv1.c
The TODOs are commented out, because CONFIG_ENCODERS isn't defined in the project.

Both TODOs relate to C99 VLAs; there are other places in libavcodec that uses them, only they're *not* commented out. I don't think fixing them should be too hard; finding them might be trickier.
Old 25th March 2007, 16:44   #888  |  Link
fastplayer

AFAIK, Haruhiko's builds were all ANSI. That could explain the manifest issue (see link above or here)
It's all so much easier in a managed environment though
Old 25th March 2007, 17:24   #889  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pizza View Post
The TODOs are commented out, because CONFIG_ENCODERS isn't defined in the project.

Both TODOs relate to C99 VLAs; there are other places in libavcodec that uses them, only they're *not* commented out. I don't think fixing them should be too hard; finding them might be trickier.
CONFIG_ENCODERS gets defined in config.h

I have updated the install script to support 64-bit installation.
Old 25th March 2007, 17:30   #890  |  Link
Dr Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
CONFIG_ENCODERS gets defined in config.h
Weird. Maybe the IDE is getting confused, 'cos it's adamant that it's not defined. Not the first time IntelliSense loses touch with reality, of course. Anyway, I think I have put together some code that accommodates the lack of VLAs in VC8. Though I'm not 100% sure, as I totally hate C array/pointer declaration syntax.
Old 25th March 2007, 17:53   #891  |  Link
Dr Pizza

Do VFW files really need to go in system32 and not the app dir?
Old 25th March 2007, 18:12   #892  |  Link
Dr Pizza

Quote:
Can somebody upload the VC8 SP1 redist? I can't find it on microsoft.com...
x64:
http://www.file.am/d/file/vcredist_x64.exe/
x86:
http://www.file.am/d/file/vcredist_x86.exe/
Old 25th March 2007, 18:21   #893  |  Link
fastplayer

Old 25th March 2007, 18:34   #894  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pizza View Post
Do VFW files really need to go in system32 and not the app dir?
It is allowed to put it anywhere you like. However some applications might assume it is always located in system32. This could lead to some problems. But putting it in the appdir would make the runtime issue a bit less complicated.

In the registry section you need to replace "ff_vfw.dll" with "{code:GetShortName|ExpandConstant('{app}\ff_vfw.dll'))}"
Old 25th March 2007, 18:39   #895  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Okay, here's yet another updated version of my patch:

Download (MSVC build)
Patch (against rev. 1074)

I've added an AviSynth info item to ffdshow's OSD, which shows the number of back and ahead buffers used since the last reset (i.e. stop, seek, size change or similar); that should help a bit with finding the correct settings. It also shows the input frame number that's considered "current" for the generated frame and the frame numbers that were requested by the AviSynth script to produce it.

If the current settings are too small it doesn't really matter, unless the filter doesn't work right if it doesn't get the frame it really requested. In that case, just up the buffers a bit and see what happens. Also, seeking around in the stream and/or letting it run for a bit might help finding edge cases where the script needs more frames.

(Note that those values will go up when the buffers are flushed at the end of an MPEG2 stream, but that's because there is nothing left to be buffered and can be safely ignored.)

The values can also be logged to a CSV file by checking "Save to" in ffdshow's OSD options.

The buffer defaults were changed to 0/10/0 and Apply Pulldown is turned off by default for backwards compatibility, but of course at those settings it also doesn't really support (pseudo-)random access - but the OSD info should make tweaking the buffer settings a lot easier...

I've also added some code to reset AviSynth on a BeginFlush on the DirectShow video input pin to work around a DVD Navigator bug where seeking doesn't cause an onSeek event, and without knowing that the stream was seeked the frames that were buffered before the seek get processed and played after the seek at full tilt, which looks weird and eats extra CPU time.

@haruhiko:
I've added an onFlush method in Tfilters and Tfilter, since that is the easiest and probably cleanest way to handle this (at least concerning the amount of code that needs to be changed and/or checked), although like you said doing anything in them other than flagging that there was a flush is probably a bad idea due to race conditions that may occur then. The flush itself is then handled when process() is next called.

np: Christ - Vernor Vinge (Blue Shift Emissions)
Old 25th March 2007, 18:45   #896  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Oh yeah, I noticed that (at least) the outline strength and radius sliders on the OSD font configuration page always get reset to 0 as opposed to reflecting the current settings.
Old 25th March 2007, 19:10   #897  |  Link
marcellus

Hi
I use ffdshow for to encode to mpeg2 (the great libavcodec encoder). I live in a PAL country so I usually encode to 25 fps framerate. But recently I tried to encode some Quicktime trailers (the 300 movie taken from Apple site) and I get in VDub an error:
Quote:
Cannot start video compression:
An unknown error occured (may be corrupt data).
(error code -100)
After much trial and error I come to the conclusion that the framerate is the culprit. This Avisynth script works well:
Blackness(300,640,480,"yv12",25)
but this one gives the error:
Blackness(300,640,480,"yv12",23.976)
I noticed that encoding to mpeg4 gives the error too. I tried several ffdshow versions, including latest beta 2a and latest icl9 build, with the same result.
marcellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 19:16   #898  |  Link
clsid

Read the first post of this topic for the answer.
Old 25th March 2007, 19:37   #899  |  Link
marcellus

I see.

Any ideea, can be fixed in the future? Not that it can't be worked around the way it is now, I can change fps in avisynth to 25 fps an then change it back in restream but would be nice to work with any input framerate.
marcellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 20:13   #900  |  Link
cc979
Curious BetaTester

after further tests using xvid anamorphic clips with ffdshow rev1069

this is what happens with AR changes in avi's and mp4's

http://www.mytempdir.com/1269513

test1 = anamorphic-source.avi+xvid-par16x9-dar1x1.avi
test2 = anamorphic-source.avi+xvid-par1x1-dar16x9.avi

in vlc

xvid-par16x9-dar1x1.avi: AR works
xvid-par1x1-dar16x9.avi: AR works
container16x9-bitstream5x4.mp4: AR works
container-unspecified-bitstream16x9.mp4: AR works
test1: AR works
test2: AR works

in mpc/ffdshow

xvid-par16x9-dar1x1.avi: AR does not work
xvid-par1x1-dar16x9.avi: AR does not work
container16x9-bitstream5x4.mp4: AR works
container-unspecified-bitstream16x9.mp4: AR works
test1: AR does not work
test2: AR does not work

not sure if the naming scheme is correct, using xvid using the 2 types of 16x9 - 1 using PAR 16/9 and other DAR 16/9

and the mp4's i used yamp and told it to use DAR 16/9

cheers all

ps. using render overlay/haali/vmr9-renderless
but with vmr9-windowed all is fine

Tools: ProcessExplorer & ProcessMonitor - BatchCompressor

Guide: MinGW Compiling GCC

Last edited by cc979; 25th March 2007 at 20:18.
cc979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl