Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 8th January 2014, 00:10   #18741  |  Link
gonca

@laserfan
Don't quote me on this, I have been known to be wrong -- in fact well known , but Movie-Only and BD-9 make it AVCHD. The strict setting applies to audio, AC3 only, bit rates etc -- strict adherence to the spec. If it is not checked BD_RB doesn't enforce the spec as tightly.
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 14:27   #18742  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
@laserfan
Don't quote me on this, I have been known to be wrong -- in fact well known , but Movie-Only and BD-9 make it AVCHD. The strict setting applies to audio, AC3 only, bit rates etc -- strict adherence to the spec. If it is not checked BD_RB doesn't enforce the spec as tightly.
Thanks, I had read in the changelog something about defaulting to AVCHD back in 2011, but then I find that setting which is why I'm confused.

I'm surprised jdobbs if you didn't put a hidden opt or override somewhere for this muxing variation.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 15:20   #18743  |  Link
jdobbs

It's just a way of ensuring a broader range of compatibility. If it is BD-5 or BD-9 it is output using TSMUXER's "--avchd" option. There's really no reason to override it. There are other settings that are specific to BD-5/9 as well. For example, the maximum bitrate has to be lowered because a DVD+-R disc/drive can't read at BD specification rates.
Old 8th January 2014, 16:19   #18744  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

OK, thanks for that jdobbs. I do wonder what (if any) are the ins-and-outs of --avchd vs --blu-ray i.e. the 200 vs 100 designations & whatnot. I remember there was a lot of discussion about this years ago but I'm not able to resurrect those posts (or brain cells). Maybe it was as simple as "some settop players *need* --avchd for BD-5/9 and/or homemade discs or they won't play" or something, though obviously my players don't care as I have always (manually, not BD-RB) made all my backups using --blu-ray.

The above disc (Mud) I did not burn as --avchd so I won't find-out from that. I had to trim a horribly loud/obnoxious LIONSGATE thing off'n the front of the movie so I changed the meta to --blu-ray.
Old 8th January 2014, 16:34   #18745  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
OK, thanks for that jdobbs. I do wonder what (if any) are the ins-and-outs of --avchd vs --blu-ray i.e. the 200 vs 100 designations & whatnot. I remember there was a lot of discussion about this years ago but I'm not able to resurrect those posts (or brain cells). Maybe it was as simple as "some settop players *need* --avchd for BD-5/9 and/or homemade discs or they won't play" or something, though obviously my players don't care as I have always (manually, not BD-RB) made all my backups using --blu-ray.

The above disc (Mud) I did not burn as --avchd so I won't find-out from that. I had to trim a horribly loud/obnoxious LIONSGATE thing off'n the front of the movie so I changed the meta to --blu-ray.
Personally I'd leave it at avchd unless you're planning on using the same player forever. But, as always, the choice is yours. The version numbers are different in the different configuration (mpls, clpi, etc.) files (e.g. the header in the index.bdmv file is "INDX0100" rather than "INDX0200" for blu-ray) -- which some players require for BD-5/9 playback.

Honestly, though, now that BD-R discs are almost the same price as DVD+R DL, I do most of my backups to BD-R (I used to do most to DVD+R DL).

Last edited by jdobbs; 8th January 2014 at 16:59.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 18:36   #18746  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I do most of my backups to BD-R (I used to do most to DVD+R DL).
Yeah me too, which is why I hadn't noticed this AVCHD thing before.

Thanks for your comments. I believe some day that I will get a 3D or 4K or ??? player, but for my current use I have three players, one I use a little and the other two I don't use at all, so I don't worry about AVCHD or Cinavia for example. These are gonna last a very long time...

Old 9th January 2014, 04:52   #18747  |  Link
ripburnlearn

I'm trying to compress the new Robocop Blu-Ray (the unrated Director's cut) from 50GB to 25GB. Every time I run the BD-RB app it crashes. I'm using the latest version 0.45.05.

I saw on your website jdobbs a BD-RB System Inspection app. I ran it and here are the results:
- Windows Version: 6.1 [7601]
- AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.8.0, not recommended version
- HAALI Splitter: Isn't recommended version
- FFDSHOW: 4504, not recommended version
- WIN7 preferred AVC CODEC: Ok
- WIN7 preferred VC-1 CODEC: Ok
- WIN7 preferred MPEG2 CODEC: Ok
- FFDSHOW VC-1 set to "wmv9", Ok
- FFDSHOW MPEG2 set to "libavcodec": Ok
- FFDSHOW AVC set to "ffmpeg-mt": Ok
- More info available if run from BD-RB folder

I made sure to download the "recommended" versions of each of these apps in the first post of this thread and I got the above. Why is it coming up as "not recommended" in this app?
ripburnlearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 04:59   #18748  |  Link
ripburnlearn

The forum won't let me edit my last post. And just to add to my last post, it crashes my entire computer while it is encoding the film someone around 30%. I think I had this issue before but I can't remember what the exact solution it was. I think I installed in older version of one of the apps. I'm not sure if this Blu ray is the culprit for this app to crash.

EDIT: Ohhhhh, I downloaded the inspection app from the videohelp website. I guess that app is old or something? I went inside of my BDRB folder and I found the same Inspect app and it says:
- Windows Version: 6.1 [7601]
- AVISYNTH Version: [2.5.8.0], Ok
- HAALI Splitter: [1.9.42.1], Ok
- FFDSHOW: [4504], Ok
- WIN7 preferred AVC CODEC: Ok
- WIN7 preferred VC-1 CODEC: Ok
- WIN7 preferred MPEG2 CODEC: Ok
- FFDSHOW VC-1 set to "wmv9", Ok
- FFDSHOW MPEG2 set to "libavcodec": Ok
- FFDSHOW AVC set to "ffmpeg-mt": Ok
- AnyDVD settings check: Ok.
- BD Rebuilder v0.45.0.5, Ok
- X264: Ok
- AFTEN: Ok
- FAAC: Ok
- WAVI: Ok
- TSMUXER: Ok

Everything is OK but my computer. It has crashed and reset itself so many times during my attempts to encode.

Last edited by ripburnlearn; 9th January 2014 at 07:19.
Old 9th January 2014, 15:45   #18749  |  Link
RocKKer

ripburnlearn,

You seem to have all the supporting software correct.

If your not overclocking, resets while stressed can many times be caused by faulty memory. It could be other things, but I would start by testing memory first.

If it is overclocked, return it to default settings and try BDRB again.

pm sent.
RocKKer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 15:56   #18750  |  Link

Also check all fans, clean heat sink fins, and general cooling.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 16:41   #18751  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

@ripburnlearn: it would help if you would post the entire log from the rebuild attempt and not just the inspect.exe results. Those alone don't mean a damn thing.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 21:47   #18752  |  Link
ripburnlearn

Love you guys! That was the problem, my overclock was causing the crashes. I have an AMD FX 8350 and I overclocked it to 4.3GHz. It was causing problems with other apps, I guess this BD Rebuilder app is a true CPU tester. I have to go back to 4GHz now, boooo. haha. I'm getting about 72FPS encoding speeds. Is that good? It was at 74-75FPS with the overclock.

It looks like the new Robocop 4K Remastered Edition has been compressed (the movie title is confusing, the film isn't in 4K its in 1080P). Consider me very happy! You can get the movie at Best Buy for $8, it comes with $7.50 of free Hollywood Movie Cash which can be used at almost all movie theaters. I think you can only use it for the new Robocop movie that is coming out though. Still, that's a really awesome movie deal!
Old 9th January 2014, 22:08   #18753  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripburnlearn View Post
Love you guys! That was the problem, my overclock was causing the crashes. I have an AMD FX 8350 and I overclocked it to 4.3GHz. It was causing problems with other apps, I guess this BD Rebuilder app is a true CPU tester. I have to go back to 4GHz now, boooo. haha. I'm getting about 72FPS encoding speeds. Is that good? It was at 74-75FPS with the overclock.

It looks like the new Robocop 4K Remastered Edition has been compressed (the movie title is confusing, the film isn't in 4K its in 1080P). Consider me very happy! You can get the movie at Best Buy for $8, it comes with $7.50 of free Hollywood Movie Cash which can be used at almost all movie theaters. I think you can only use it for the new Robocop movie that is coming out though. Still, that's a really awesome movie deal!
I'm also running an FX-8350 on my main video encoding computer. I run at 4.2Ghz and I'm cooling with a Corsair water-cooled system. Even with that I have to clean out the radiator every month or two to keep my system from overheating.

X264 is the ultimate test for overclocking.
Old 11th January 2014, 14:47   #18754  |  Link
jdobbs

BD Rebuilder v0.46.03 (beta)

I have updated the first post of this thread with links to a new version of BD-RB (v0.46.03). Changes for this release:
Code:
- Added fully BD compliant 3D support for 
  movie-only backups. SBS and O/U 3D output 
  is still supported via selection of the
  "Enable SBS 3D Movie-Only output" option
  in the setup menu and the "TYPE_OF_3D"
  hidden option output, but is not the pre-
  ferred 3D method. NOTE: This feature
  requires Windows 7 or higher, and will be
  disabled on lower O/S versions.
- Created a new hidden option, OUTPUT_3D_ISO.
  By default movie-only backups are written
  directly to an ISO image for burning rather
  than a folder.  Setting this option to "0"
  will create a folder instead. Note: Using
  the folder option will result in degraded
  output due to the structure of 3D discs.
- Added a hidden option "MENU_FORCE_QUICK=1"
  that will create a quick menu even when
  only one playlist is selected to be kept.
  This applies only to Quick-Play backups,
  not to imports.
- Updated code to fully support DTS Express
  secondary streams without the need for 
  special processing.
- Fixed an issue in which the Quick-Plan and
  import MENU's IGS M2TS file could be 
  incorrectly timed -- which could cause 
  problems on some players.
- Corrected an error in which the SupTitle
  checkbox was not being properly initiated
  when the SETUP dialog form is loaded.
- Corrected an error in which some PGCs could
  be incorrectly ignored during DVD imports.
- Added a new hidden option, ALTPATH, that is
  read at program start.  This creates a path
  to a customized ALTERNATE.TXT file that can
  be created by a user. Note that the option
  must be placed in the "[Paths]" area of the
  config/INI file. See HIDDENOPTS.TXT for more 
  details.
- Corrected an issue in which menu backgrounds
  created for IMPORT/Quick-Play could have 
  GOP lengths that are too long when a target
  size of BD-5 or BD-9 has been selected.
- Fixed an error in backup of 3D sources to
  SBS or O/U format that could result in sizes
  that are significantly smaller than selected 
  targets.
- Corrected an error in which multipart VC-1
  interlaced sources or secondary video in 
  movie-only mode could cause BD-RB to stop 
  with "Error in attempt to MKVMERGE" during 
  A/V extraction.
- Corrected an error in which the main feature
  could (under odd circumstances) be ignored
  and not appear in the BD IMPORT list.
- Fixed a problem in which collecting/using
  a menu background that used VC-1 was not
  working during BD IMPORT.
- Added FRIMDecode and FRIMEncode (v1.19) to
  BD-RB's included set of tools.
- Updated the included version of TSMUXER to 
  a newer release (v2.6.11).
- Other minor corrections and cosmetic fixes.
Note that there have been significant modifications to this release in order to implement 3D movie-only processing and to reorganize the process flow for the future possibility of full 3D backups -- please report any newly found issues in this thread. Another example of why the software is in a seemingly never-ending "beta" state. Next up -- enabling the software to run without a requirement for AVISYNTH, HAALI, and FFDSHOW.

Last edited by jdobbs; 11th January 2014 at 14:51.
Old 11th January 2014, 14:58   #18755  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Jdobbs, can you explain why 3d requires w7? Why won't it work with vista for example. That is my main rig and I can't upgrade it without risking issues with custom software that would require a costly technician to come round to the house. There isn't that much difference between vista and w7. W7 is built on vista.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk
Old 11th January 2014, 15:16   #18756  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Changes for this release:
Code:
- Updated the included version of TSMUXER to 
  a newer release (v2.6.11).
I have been wondering whether 2.6.11 was "ready for prime-time" yet. Your endorsement is good enough for me. Thanks!
Old 11th January 2014, 15:21   #18757  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
Jdobbs, can you explain why 3d requires w7? Why won't it work with vista for example. That is my main rig and I can't upgrade it without risking issues with custom software that would require a costly technician to come round to the house. There isn't that much difference between vista and w7. W7 is built on vista.

It needs to be decoded with FRIMDecode and encoded with FRIMEncode. They require Windows 7. There is no other viable option, nor one that I see on the near horizon.

Last edited by jdobbs; 11th January 2014 at 15:27.
Old 11th January 2014, 15:24   #18758  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
I have been wondering whether 2.6.11 was "ready for prime-time" yet. Your endorsement is good enough for me. Thanks!
It still has some things that need to be worked out. But from my testing either those things don't have an impact, or I've found a workaround for use in BD-RB's operation. We'll know more after this version gets some good rubber-on-the-road testing from everyone.
Old 11th January 2014, 16:04   #18759  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Ah well, I suppose I can fire up that dual boot on the rig one you manage to implement full disc 3d backup. Got w7 installed, Just never use it unless I have to.

Old 11th January 2014, 16:28   #18760  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
It still has some things that need to be worked out. But from my testing, either those things don't have an impact, or I've found a workaround for use in BD-RB's operation. We'll know more after this version gets some good rubber-on-the-road testing from everyone.
Thank you for cautioning.

Last edited by jdobbs; 11th January 2014 at 17:22.