Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th July 2005, 09:45   #1  |  Link
rkk44

Avisynth Installation Problem: Could not write to Registry error

I have a Desktop WIN2000 Computer on which I cannot install any version of Avisynth using the autoinstallation program. I get the following error message during the *.exe file installation stage (right after "color_rgb.avsi"):

Avisynth!\r\n\r\n Could not write to registry
Administration rights required

I am the adminstrator so I do not lack adminstrative privileges. I also turned off Norton Antivirus 2005 and Sybot Teatime (Registry Guard) for the installation. Avisynth is the only self-installing program that I have tried to install on this computer that does not work.

I do have a laptop running WINXP on which Avisynth successfully has been installed. I copied the installed program to a CD (along with Avisynth.dll) which I then used for a dirty installation by copying it directly to the WIN2000 Computer's Program file (Avisynth.dll went to the System32 directory). I then tried to manually register Avisynth.dll with regsvr32.exe and got the following message:

Avisynth.dll was loaded but DLLRegisterServer entry point was not found
DLLRegisterServer may not be exported or a corrupt version of Avisynth.dll may be in memory.

I have RegistryFix on my computer so I ran it but to no avail. The same error message still comes up. The only good news is that this dirty installation seems to have worked as I can successfully open an Avisynth Script with VDMod.

As a matter of principle, I hate having to rely on a dirty installation. Is there someplace where I can get a non-self-installing version of Avisynth 2.56 (along with installation instructions) to replace this jury-rigged solution?
rkk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2005, 05:05   #2  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

Please quote error messages EXACTLY it should have been "You need administrator rights to install AviSynth!\r\n\r\n(Could not write to registry)", any other message is coming from somewhere else.

If Avisynth is working after a "dirty" install them most of the registry keys must have been written (at some stage previously). On a normal registry Administrators should have write access to the areas the installer needs to access BUT various well meaning products and some noxious viruses change the default registry protection. The former to stop the the latter, the latter to hinder their removal.

The installer product we use does not have the ability to change registry protection and even if it did I would not use it to circumvent this issue.

The registry keys and values written are as follows
Code:
WriteRegStr HKLM "SOFTWARE\AviSynth" "plugindir2_5" "$0"
WriteRegStr HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AviSynth" "DisplayName" "AviSynth 2.5"
WriteRegStr HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AviSynth" "UninstallString" '"$INSTDIR\Uninstall.exe"'
WriteRegStr HKLM "SOFTWARE\Classes\.avs" "" "avsfile"
WriteRegStr HKCR ".avs" "" "avs_auto_file"
WriteRegStr HKCR "CLSID\{E6D6B700-124D-11D4-86F3-DB80AFD98778}" "" "AviSynth"
WriteRegStr HKCR "CLSID\{E6D6B700-124D-11D4-86F3-DB80AFD98778}\InProcServer32" "" AviSynth.dll
WriteRegStr HKCR "avifile\Extensions\avs" "" "{E6D6B700-124D-11D4-86F3-DB80AFD98778}"
WriteRegStr HKCR "Media Type\Extensions\.avs" "" ""
WriteRegStr HKCR "Media Type\Extensions\.avs" "Source Filter" "{D3588AB0-0781-11CE-B03A-0020AF0BA770}"
WriteRegStr HKCR "CLSID\{E6D6B700-124D-11D4-86F3-DB80AFD98778}\InProcServer32" "ThreadingModel" "Apartment"
WriteRegStr HKCR ".avs" "" "avsfile"
WriteRegStr HKCR "avsfile" "" "AviSynth Script"
WriteRegStr HKCR "avsfile\DefaultIcon" "" $SYSDIR\AviSynth.dll,0
Have somebody skilled in registry maintainance check these areas, and correct the the protection.

IanB
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2006, 07:21   #3  |  Link
woah!

i just installed a fresh WinXP SP2 on a new amd opterton 165 and mobo and am now getting this exact same issue

i cant install avisynth but i am the admin?

everything else i had installed with no issues and this really screws me now as i bought this dual core for video-encoding heh..

damn..
woah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2006, 19:13   #4  |  Link
Nomake Wan

Interesting thing happened. Now, I have a Toshiba laptop which AVIsynth installed on no problem. My new HP Pavillion desktop machine originally tossed up this error:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=97406

...so I set the WINDOWS folder to un-read-only everything it could. Now I'm getting the registry message that this thread is about. Argh, this is why new computers suck!

So does anybody have a concrete workaround? I'm also not one who likes dirty installs...
Nomake Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 23:10   #5  |  Link
Morac

I found that the "You need administrator rights to install AviSynth!\r\n\r\n(Could not write to registry)" is sometimes incorrectly displayed if the installation procedure can't write to the installation directory.

I got this error and no amount of register cleaning would get rid of it. Finally I noticed there was an existing "C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5" directory left over from an old install. Once I deleted this directory, AviSynth installed without any issues.

So even though the error message mentions the registry, check to see if the directory exists already and if it does, delete it.
Morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 22:24   #6  |  Link
slk001

This has been an issue since 2.55. I recently had to do a complete system reinstall, and I also found that I couldn't write to the registry. And yes, I have FULL admin rights. I got it to install by installing 2.54 (I actually tried 2.56, which gave me this problem, 2.55, which also gave probs, then 2.54, which installed correctly), then I was able to install 2.56. A VERSION() correctly shows 2.56.

Apparently, this issue doesn't show up unless you have no previous Avisynth keys in the registry. Once I got Avisynth keys in the registry (with 2.54), it installed correctly (really not sure about the "correctly" part). I have also lost my PLUGIN directory advantage (even though the reg key points to it correctly), since I now have to use the LOADPLUGIN command for every plugin in every script.

Perhaps we can now get the developers to look at the installation program?
slk001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2006, 21:34   #7  |  Link
tin3tin

What Morac wrote helped me out. Thanks!

Tin3tin

Last edited by tin3tin; 31st March 2006 at 05:59.
tin3tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2006, 12:22   #8  |  Link
bxfy

meble ...
Old 2nd April 2006, 12:43   #9  |  Link
stax76

This looks like the problem occurs when installing on top of another install, due to the nature of AviSynth a side by side setup is not intended, the installer should not allow to install before uninstalling previous versions.

As a rule of thumb, if you install something before uninstalling an old version you have a higher chance to run into problems (AviSynth seem to prove this) and you bloat your system so unless you got a good reason always uninstal a old version before installing a new version.

Last edited by stax76; 2nd April 2006 at 12:46.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2006, 23:11   #10  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

Please download and install 2.5.7 Alpha 2 it won't solve the problem but it should allow you to harvest enough information to allow me to resolve this problem.
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 20:30   #11  |  Link
shae

It also happened to me with the latest AviSynth 2.5.x and Win98. It's a first install of AviSynth, but perhaps some other tool has previously copied AviSynth.dll into the system dir, which confused the installer script?

I deleted the AviSynth dir in %progfiles% and it worked.

Could be nice if all the files were put into the directory I specified at install time. Right now it puts stuff in %sysdir%, %progfiles%\AviSynth, and in the designated target dir.
shae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 21:09   #12  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

SUPER likes to copy avisynth.dll into %sysdir% and give it read only, hidden, and system attributes, which confuses the poor avisynth installer, as well as the files in the progfiles folder. I emailed them about it but never had a reply back.

(Since the whole system has to be able to use it, it either has to go in %sysdir% or add the folder to the path. For devs a further polluted path isn't a great option, though it's not the end of the world, I guess.)
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 21:41   #13  |  Link
uroscar

I did what Morac said and it helped. Just delete the folder and reinstall.

bye
uroscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 18:02   #14  |  Link
smeghead2

I'm getting exactly the same problem. It won't get past the installation stage (when it gets about a third of the way there).

I get the "You need administrator rights" error. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and yes, have made sure of the following :

1. I have only 1 user account and it does have admin rights.
2. I can manually add to the registry with regedit without problems.
3. I don't have any software protecting the registry.
4. I haven't installed AVIsynth before on this computer, and I have tried deleting the directory folder and trying again.
5. I'm using 2.5.8, though I have tried all the others, such as 2.5.4 etc... Same problem though.

Any help would be appreciated as I need my Staxrip to work, and AVIsynth is a part of it!

Thank you!!
smeghead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 18:26   #15  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
I haven't installed AVIsynth before on this computer
Are you sure there isn't or wasn't a silent install done by a application like SUPER?
Old 26th October 2009, 21:40   #16  |  Link
smeghead2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Are you sure there isn't or wasn't a silent install done by a application like SUPER?
Yes, because I've only installed Windows 7 a couple of days ago and just got around to installing my video editing programs.
Old 26th October 2009, 22:00   #17  |  Link
stax76

Try AviSynth 32bit and start the setup explicitly as admin using right-click choosing 'Run as administrator'.
Old 26th October 2009, 22:05   #18  |  Link
smeghead2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Try AviSynth 32bit and start the setup explicitly as admin using right-click choosing 'Run as administrator'.
I've tried that. All sorts of different versions, and they all bring up the same error.

I'm tearing my hair out!!!
Old 26th October 2009, 22:42   #19  |  Link
stax76

Check your registry to find at which key the installer fails to write to.

Code:
WriteRegStr HKLM "SOFTWARE\AviSynth" "plugindir2_5" "$0"
WriteRegStr HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AviSynth" "DisplayName" "AviSynth 2.5"
WriteRegStr HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AviSynth" "UninstallString" '"$INSTDIR\Uninstall.exe"'
WriteRegStr HKLM "SOFTWARE\Classes\.avs" "" "avsfile"
WriteRegStr HKCR ".avs" "" "avs_auto_file"
WriteRegStr HKCR "CLSID\{E6D6B700-124D-11D4-86F3-DB80AFD98778}" "" "AviSynth"
WriteRegStr HKCR "CLSID\{E6D6B700-124D-11D4-86F3-DB80AFD98778}\InProcServer32" "" AviSynth.dll
WriteRegStr HKCR "avifile\Extensions\avs" "" "{E6D6B700-124D-11D4-86F3-DB80AFD98778}"
WriteRegStr HKCR "Media Type\Extensions\.avs" "" ""
WriteRegStr HKCR "Media Type\Extensions\.avs" "Source Filter" "{D3588AB0-0781-11CE-B03A-0020AF0BA770}"
WriteRegStr HKCR "CLSID\{E6D6B700-124D-11D4-86F3-DB80AFD98778}\InProcServer32" "ThreadingModel" "Apartment"
WriteRegStr HKCR ".avs" "" "avsfile"
WriteRegStr HKCR "avsfile" "" "AviSynth Script"
WriteRegStr HKCR "avsfile\DefaultIcon" "" $SYSDIR\AviSynth.dll,0
Old 26th October 2009, 23:11   #20  |  Link
smeghead2

There are no entries in the registry for AviSynth. The error comes up saying :

"You need administrator rights to install Avisynth. (could not write to registry HKCR)"

It fails at the "extract colors_rgb.avsi" part of the installer.