Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th January 2019, 15:15   #54121  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Take a picture of the OSD (Ctrl + J) and post it here. Is your display entering HDR mode? Does the backlight in the picture menu go up to its highest setting when the video is played and does the OSD in madVR indicate AMD HDR?
According to statistics, it seems, everything is OK, but the video in FSW is much darker (unnatural)
Attached Images

DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 17:05   #54122  |  Link
Warner306

Your attachments need to be hosted somewhere else. Did you confirm your display is in the correct HDR mode?
Warner306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 17:14   #54123  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Your attachments need to be hosted somewhere else. Did you confirm your display is in the correct HDR mode?
Yes, TV (Samsung UE40NU7100) goes to HDR mode.
What is wrong with my attachments?
Old 6th January 2019, 17:17   #54124  |  Link
Klaus1189

We cannot open them now, use external file hoster like google drive.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 17:19   #54125  |  Link
giulianoprs

should "fse" be the right way for the HDR and 10bit? this thing also interests me.
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 18:00   #54126  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
We cannot open them now, use external file hoster like google drive.
FSE (greate picture)
FSW (dark picture)
TV (Samsung UE40NU7100) goes into the HDR mode in both cases.

Last edited by DMU; 7th January 2019 at 08:37.
Old 6th January 2019, 19:35   #54127  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Both. But it's the new HDR processing that really needs that extra oomph.
Tell me about it. My 1060 is just on the edge of keeping up and I did have to lower some settings to make it work reliably in the latest test build. The MINIMUM card I'm going to get for an upgrade is a 2070 at this point.
Old 6th January 2019, 22:03   #54128  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Tell me about it. My 1060 is just on the edge of keeping up and I did have to lower some settings to make it work reliably in the latest test build. The MINIMUM card I'm going to get for an upgrade is a 2070 at this point.
I was thinking of going down the Windows 8.1 route, but that is a bit of a step back in some respects, and unsure what I would gain.

My problem just now is a new 4K TV, and working with only a 2GB 1050 card, I am messing about with either just Passthrough, or using the Shaders option with most of it disabled, so don't think I am gaining anything with it.

What does confuse things is the more I mess with things, the less I understand whether that be DX9/DX11/FSE and the likes now I am messing with HDR, as I think I have things sussed out but then I can try another 4K file and things change and I may get dropped frames, or skipping with nothing really changing apart from seeing the Qs suddenly dropping off then back up again when I am within the target of ms.

So I mess with things again, and out of nowhere I may get an issue again, so it is hard to know what is the best setting or what to do or not do at this point.

So right now I am using madVR as an HDR switch as such as I dont have the right amount of spare capacity in the card I have at the moment.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 23:01   #54129  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulianoprs View Post
should "fse" be the right way for the hdr and 10bit? This thing also interests me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
use fse for frame packed mvc 3d.
Use fse for uhd hdr.
Use fsw for everything else.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 01:31   #54130  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
I was thinking of going down the Windows 8.1 route, but that is a bit of a step back in some respects, and unsure what I would gain.

My problem just now is a new 4K TV, and working with only a 2GB 1050 card, I am messing about with either just Passthrough, or using the Shaders option with most of it disabled, so don't think I am gaining anything with it.

What does confuse things is the more I mess with things, the less I understand whether that be DX9/DX11/FSE and the likes now I am messing with HDR, as I think I have things sussed out but then I can try another 4K file and things change and I may get dropped frames, or skipping with nothing really changing apart from seeing the Qs suddenly dropping off then back up again when I am within the target of ms.

So I mess with things again, and out of nowhere I may get an issue again, so it is hard to know what is the best setting or what to do or not do at this point.

So right now I am using madVR as an HDR switch as such as I dont have the right amount of spare capacity in the card I have at the moment.
My 6g 1060 is right on the edge of being able to play well with the newest test build (which is being considered an RC so it'll likely end up close to the next official build). I've had to mess with a few things but I've got it so that I can play with all the functionality of the new HDR functionality with NO trade performance options enabled. It takes some compromises to do that, however. Giving up some chroma upscaling love, as an example. And this is only with 24fps movies. 60fps I'm GOING to have to create a profile one of these days to see if I can get that stable. I was able to play some 60fps demos the first time I tested, but, then I got an actual 60fps movie and that showed me just how punishing it can be. You have FAR less rendering time to play with for 60fps movies obviously. For now I can live with that. I have 1 60fps movie and I can always use the UB820 or the SHIELD to play that one for now. A 1050 I think is not going to be sufficient for the latest iteration of the HDR functionality without some trade offs. It MIGHT work for some movies but others it may struggle with depending on what options you have set. My advice (which comes from another user when I was struggling with the latest builds) is to sacrifice chroma upscaling for now and see what you can get away with on the HDR side of things. It's truly fantastic what the latest build is able to do.
Old 7th January 2019, 08:50   #54131  |  Link
madjock

Agreed on dialling back the chroma.

But just having a play this morning, and if I do set chroma to bilinear, and enable the HDR options in trade for performance, I get a slideshow in either D3D11 Fullscreen Exclusive or Fullscreen windowed and D3D9.

But if I come out of fullscreen exclusive or fullscreen windowed to just windowed it drops from the hundreds down to 21 ms ish ?

Does this make sense ?, should going from windowed to fullscreen exclusive or fullscreen windowed make that big a difference ?

I am using nVidia drivers 416.34.
Old 7th January 2019, 08:53   #54132  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
The MINIMUM card I'm going to get for an upgrade is a 2070 at this point.
Right now you'd be be better served by a 1080/Ti for madVR mostly due to the premium of the unused (for madVR) Tensor cores, otherwise if using it for gaming as well RTX makes some sense.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 08:57   #54133  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Right now you'd be be better served by a 1080/Ti for madVR mostly due to the premium of the unused (for madVR) Tensor cores, otherwise if using it for gaming as well RTX makes some sense.
You can't exactly buy a 1080/Ti anymore (at least around here), other then super expensive or used. And some people like their warranty.

New 2070s are cheaper then new 1080s here, nevermind 1080 Tis (in which case 2080s are also cheaper).
Old 7th January 2019, 11:08   #54134  |  Link
madjock

Just for clarification guys, and maybe to stop me pulling any more hair out.

If I use HDR tone mapping but have to select all the Trade for performance options to on, is this still better than allowing HDR passtrough ?
Old 7th January 2019, 11:31   #54135  |  Link
ryrynz

Personally I'd wait until the new release before evaluating this for yourself.. My guess would be yes, but it's going to depend entirely on your manufacturer's tone mapping for that particular model/firmware.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 11:45   #54136  |  Link
chros

Quote:
If I use HDR tone mapping but have to select all the Trade for performance options to on, is this still better than allowing HDR passtrough ?
Quote:
My guess would be yes
Definitely not, although I haven't seen your TV. Use passthrough then.
Old 7th January 2019, 11:56   #54137  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Definitely not, although I haven't seen your TV. Use passthrough then.
It is nothing fancy at all
https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/65PUS6...ilight-3-sided

I did think I would be limited with chroma, but was a little naive about how much the tone mapping would hammer my 1050 GTX, it was a case of I could get better chroma settings and use passthrough, but was unsure what I would achieve by disabling the trade options comparable to passthrough, as it classed it as dumb on the OSD when you do this with the options ticked, and that used to be options in older madVRs.
Old 7th January 2019, 13:54   #54138  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMU View Post
FSE (greate picture)
FSW (dark picture)
TV (Samsung UE40NU7100) goes into the HDR mode in both cases.
It looks you are getting a different tone curve depending on whether you are using windowed or exclusive. I'm guessing madVR is sending the same values either way and either the GPU driver or display is misinterpreting something. Maybe the metadata isn't getting through correctly. I don't know how to correct it.
Old 7th January 2019, 13:57   #54139  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:

You should download GPU-Z and check your VRAM usage during playback. You only have 2GB to work with, which isn't a lot for 4K UHD content. At 1080p, I am using 2.5GB of VRAM with 4K content with a few settings enabled.

Network latency could also be an issue if the queues suddenly drop when playing certain files. Check to see if the video bitrate is higher with these files.
Old 7th January 2019, 14:00   #54140  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Just for clarification guys, and maybe to stop me pulling any more hair out.

You would have to test it. madVR should do a fine job of tone mapping. However, you risk double processing if the display also tone maps the result provided by madVR. I'd start with a target nits above your display brightness and work your way down as a test. Find some really bright scenes using the OSD as a reference for scene brightness and test with passthrough enabled and disabled.

Pixel shaders might be a bad idea with the limited amount of VRAM you have.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling