Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 27th February 2003, 03:17   #21  |  Link
Matthew
jdgljlfljg

Thanks for this tool, it kicks ass. In particular, the command-line support is great.
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2003, 04:21   #22  |  Link
ChrisBensch

Other 2.66 Version

Edited: I have upgraded to 2.66.01.07 but once I saved my ecl, I tried to start encoding and CCE just froze. Now when I try to load an ecl, it just freezes, cannot use cce with eclcce anymore.

I am using 2.66.01.04 of CCE Trial, is it possible to add support for this version?

Last edited by ChrisBensch; 27th February 2003 at 06:31.
ChrisBensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2003, 07:49   #23  |  Link
RB
Retired

Re: Try many small movies

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikel
I find that the size of movies is not the problem, it's the number. I get serious problems after about 20 or so movies.
I very much doubt that EclCCE is the culprit here. Just perform this simple test: run CCE directly, not through EclCCE, add your many items. Does it give the same errors now?
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2003, 07:53   #24  |  Link
RB
Retired

Re: Other 2.66 Version

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisBensch
Edited: I have upgraded to 2.66.01.07 but once I saved my ecl, I tried to start encoding and CCE just froze. Now when I try to load an ecl, it just freezes, cannot use cce with eclcce anymore.
I am using 2.66.01.04 of CCE Trial, is it possible to add support for this version?
Before I start thinking about earlier versions, let's try to narrow down this problem.

- Are you using the latest EclCCE v1.1?

- When you saved the ECL and started encoding, where did it freeze? Did the encoding dialog come up at least?

- When you load the ECL, where does it freeze? When you click the CCE window, does it make this "bing" sound?

- You can start encoding without using EclCCE?
Old 27th February 2003, 12:54   #25  |  Link
vidcel

So we use EclCCE to save ECL's in CCE 2.67 but what's the point when it has the CCE logo in it.
Haven't found a CCEPatcher for this one.
vidcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2003, 13:02   #26  |  Link
unplugged

Quote:
here is EclCCE, an utility that adds the load/save ECL (Encoder Control List) functionality to the CCE SP 2.66+ trial versions
YEAH
what I can say, RB, nice Very nice!
unplugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2003, 19:20   #27  |  Link
Mikel

For me ECLCCE seems the problem

RB: When i run just CCE and add many movies, the problem does not occur.

I did some more tests regarding this:
The same problems also occurs when i Save a ecl-file.

Example:
I add 15 files by drag and drop
I save the project as a ecl file
The memory usage goes from 300 MB to 700 MB
I reload the project i just saved
The memory load rises again 400 MB over one GB

Really no one else with that problem?
Could it be some kind of driver problem?

Cheers

Mikel
Mikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2003, 19:33   #28  |  Link
Tabriz

I have just used ecl 1.01 with 266.01.07 with excellant results. I am truly delighted with this tool.
many many thanks.
Tabriz
Tabriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2003, 19:41   #29  |  Link
RB
Retired

@Mikel:

Sorry, I can't reproduce this problem. I just did what you did here (XP SP1), added 16 small clips by drag & drop, saved ECL. Memory usage went from 311 to 321 MB. Exited CCE, ran it again and loaded ECL, memory usage went from 319 to 326. Just like without EclCCE.

What OS are you running? This is bizarre. EclCCE does not dynamically allocate/free any memory, so it can't be a memory leak in my code. Also, while you are dropping files into CCE, EclCCE just basically sits in the background and does nothing.
Old 27th February 2003, 21:26   #30  |  Link
Mikel

@ RB

Thanks for your answer...
I cannot understand the problem myself...

Here's my setup
Win XP Pro
P4 @ 1800 MHz, 512 MB Ram

I gave you some misleading information, it's the the memory that's running out but the page file beeing used up.

So when i start CCE, about 200 Mb of the Page File is being used.
(can be checked in the task manager)

With every movie opened or save, the page files grows about 40 MB.
With a max. Page file size, the error comes after about 20 Movies loaded or saved.

I have the impression that every time one item is loaded or saved during the flickering, the memory is used. It seems like another copy of CCE is started, but memory is not freed up. But thats just my impression.

I really hope someone else has the same problem and that it's not just my setup.

Cheers

Mikel
Old 28th February 2003, 02:43   #31  |  Link
ChrisBensch

FIXED!!!

I beg forgiveness for even thinking this wonderful tool could be the problem! It was a bad AVISynth Script/M2V created by DoItFast4U. I reran DIFFU and everything is working fine.

Thank you so much for this tool!
ChrisBensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2003, 08:22   #32  |  Link
Chatwalker

@RB

Congratulations to this wonderful tool. If you could add a small thing it is perfect!!!! In Batch-Mode EclCCE should only return when CCE has finished his work.

Regards
Chatwalker
Chatwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2003, 08:59   #33  |  Link
RB
Retired

@Mikel:

I, too, was talking about the page file usage (monitored it in task manager). Let's do this test:

1. Run CCE without EclCCE
2. Bring up task manager, leave it open and watch memory usage during the following steps
3. Add your files
4. Double click on the first file in the CCE window
5. Click the Video, Audio and Quality Setting buttons (in this order) and close the dialogs immediately.
6. Click the "Setting" button to the right of the Input files combo box, double click the item in the new dialog with the listview.
7. Close the preview window that comes up, close the file settings dialog, return to the Encode Settings dialog, close it.

Repeat step 4-7 for each file. Do you see page file being used up abnormally at any time?
Old 28th February 2003, 09:04   #34  |  Link
RB
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Chatwalker

Congratulations to this wonderful tool. If you could add a small thing it is perfect!!!! In Batch-Mode EclCCE should only return when CCE has finished his work.
Well, it already does so, always. EclCCE.exe will not return until CCE has finished (just use WaitForSingleObject() on the EclCCE process handle).
Old 28th February 2003, 10:03   #35  |  Link
Mikel

@ RB

Hallo RB

I dont seem to have the problem on another machine with a similar setup. I really cannot understand that I have those problems with ECLCee at all.

I will some further tests.

I will PM you in the future with the results.

Cheers

Mikel
Old 2nd March 2003, 11:15   #36  |  Link
shh

I've the same problem as Mikel here.

W2k with 512MB RAM, EclCCE and CCE2.66.01.07.

I've loaded some avs-files (actually two, via avisynth v2.0.6, mpeg2dec2.dll) and everytime a new pass starts, CCE itself eats up additional ~64MB and the paging-file inceases about 128MB, too.
After a few passes all memory is gone and avisynth can't decode any further frames, passing an error-frame to the CCE (wich is then encoded)
CCE is keeping all the memory until I close it.

How could this happen? Is that maybe a "crack"-protection?

Is EclCCE *opening* the avisynth-file, when the ecl get's loaded? I'm asking this, because the file-length [frames] is updated after changing the length in the script and loading the ecl afterwords.
Perhaps that opening the problem.
I'm still searching for a maybe-bug in avisynth in conclusion with mpeg2dec, since sometimes after opening an avisynth-file, not all ressources are freed again (some part of avisynth hangs up)

Regards
shh
shh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2003, 11:32   #37  |  Link
RB
Retired

shh, can you verify that this happens only when running CCE through EclCCE? Also, please follow the steps I outlined to Mikel to see whether this is actually related to EclCCE.
Old 2nd March 2003, 12:40   #38  |  Link
mb1

Quote:
I've loaded some avs-files (actually two, via avisynth v2.0.6, mpeg2dec2.dll) and everytime a new pass starts, CCE itself eats up additional ~64MB and the paging-file inceases about 128MB, too.
That is a well known CCE bug !
Add ResampleAudio(44100) [for avisynth 2.0.x, not 2.5] to every avs you're loading into CCE and the memory hunger will be stopped.
Old 2nd March 2003, 12:42   #39  |  Link
Mikel

Here's some tests i made...

OK...there seems to be some kind of problem with ECLCCE.
By loading or saving (when running CCE through ECLCCE) huge amount of memory are eaten up.

I tried to exclude a driver problem, so i did some tests by rebooting into safe mode. The memory problem was still there.

So it's not a driver problem.

BTW, i am using Win XP Pro, SP1
Maybe the GFX-Card is related to it, its a TI4200 based card.

After detailed testings, the problem only occurs when CCE is running through ECLCCE. CCE alone works fine.

Because of the problems with ECLCCE, i went back using version 2.5 which runs fine and can load and save ECL-files.
I am looking forward though when the memory problem is solved.

Cheers

Mikel
Old 2nd March 2003, 13:14   #40  |  Link
shh

Some things to correct: I was using avisynth v2.07 and EclCCE 1.01. But you didn't change any major things in v1.1, did you?

Hmm... this is weird.
I've now done some tests without EclCCE, and no error occurs.
The program is still eating more and more memory, but after a time it is freed again. (paging-file is still increasing, though - must be the W2k caching algo)
So, perhaps there is no memory-leak with (or without) EclCCE, but there still seems to be a problem with the avisynth-scripts.
All works fine without the EclCCE, but with EclCCE after saving and loading a bit, avisynth can't decode anymore.
(I did some tests with EclCCE v1.1 too now)

I have absolutely no clue why this happens. Perhaps this is a general problem with avisynth-scripts in CCE.
But definatly CCE trys to get the number of frames when loading a src-file, so it must open the script(s).

RB,
could you perhaps add a delay (editable via .ini?) between adding file#1 of the ecl and adding file#2?
I guess avisynth has some problems with parallel frameserving of several files. (And parallel frame-serving would occour, if file#2 is opened before file#1 is closed).
This problems come up quicker, if you add some denoisers to the script. Perhaps a bug in avisynth of being not able to wait long enough for a frame... (internally throwing an exception instread of just waiting for the plugin to serve the frame)?

BTW, the memory-hunger seems to stop now: My 1.2GB pagefile is full all the time and CCE is kind of self-regulating it's memory to 380MB (of 512). So, I'm not quite sure if the ResampleAudio(44100)-line is necessary. (but I'll try that anyway)

Just doing the tests for Mikel (pagefile is full: 1.2GB and CCE-Usage:380MB):
"Unrecognized exception in line 3" <- That's the mpeg2dec-line. The plugin doesn't seem to have enough memory.
Same problem with all the other files btw, all cannot be decoded by avisynth (aka mpeg2dec).

I'll try, if this also occurs without EclCCE now.

Best regards
shh
shh is offline   Reply With Quote