Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd July 2017, 15:11   #44421  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
CTRL-J OSD example
Vsync 16.63ms, frame 41.67ms
Need to be under frame value.
Thanks!
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 15:14   #44422  |  Link
Sarlaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlaith View Post
HEVC 10 bit

http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=159

Ps. Im using DSPlayer, not MPC-HC.
Not sure if that's the culprit?
Plot thikkens....
Changed DSPlayer for MPC-HC, still crashes.
Or well, rather it doesn't play.
Then if I open it just in MPC-HC, it plays fine O.o

Anyone have a clue?
Sarlaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 17:15   #44423  |  Link
jmartinr

Quote:
Plot thikkens....

Anyone have a clue?
No clue. Which one is it in MPC-HC: "still crashes", "doesn't play" or "plays fine"? I'm afraid you'll have to be more specific.
Old 23rd July 2017, 17:24   #44424  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Plot thikkens....

Anyone have a clue?
Which codecs do you have installed ?

Make sure you have only Lav Filters + madVR only .

Did you set the player correctly ? how does it crash, is there video ? sound ?

What the event viewer error say ? it might tell us if it's DLL with other program,plugin,software,driver.

You have Windows 10 x64 with newest drivers ? Nvidia , ATI ?
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 09:11   #44425  |  Link
Sarlaith

I have actually manged to "fix" it.

I am/was only using Lav Filters + MadVR.

What was happening was I tried to play a movie located on my NAS, quite a large movie I may add.
Upon opening it with DSplayer from inside Kodi, Kodi/DSplayer would just crash. (not sure why it crashes with a generic error)
Upon opening it with MPC-HC it faired "Fine", until I started it from inside Kodi.
Starting MPC-HC from inside Kodi it took ALOT longer to actually be able to play it. Up to the verge of me thinking it just wouldn't load/work. For some reason it pulled in ALOT more data before even being able to play.

(Noticed this when I was looking at Task Manager when doing the troubleshooting)

So thanks for the help and advices
Sarlaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 20:07   #44426  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

I've been wondering for which chroma upscaling to use for 1080p movies. The display is 2560x1080p, so I guess Jinc or super-xbr 100 or NGU? Any hints will be appreciated
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 21:50   #44427  |  Link
Sideeffect

New Nvidia drivers (384.94) have a HDR fix for windows 10.

Now its possible to activate the HDR and advanced color slider when using Nvidia colour settings even when set as RGB full 8-Bit.

They seem to have fixed the Nvidia HDR API. When starting a HDR file with the windows option disabled the screen does switch to HDR so that suggests working Nvidia API.

The problem is when going into full screen exclusive mode HDR turns off! When going back to windowed HDR is still off only restarting file enables HDR again. Disabling exclusive mode allows windowed and fullscreen HDR playback.
Sideeffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 23:55   #44428  |  Link
mrcorbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideeffect View Post
New Nvidia drivers (384.94) have a HDR fix for windows 10.

Now its possible to activate the HDR and advanced color slider when using Nvidia colour settings even when set as RGB full 8-Bit.

They seem to have fixed the Nvidia HDR API. When starting a HDR file with the windows option disabled the screen does switch to HDR so that suggests working Nvidia API.

The problem is when going into full screen exclusive mode HDR turns off! When going back to windowed HDR is still off only restarting file enables HDR again. Disabling exclusive mode allows windowed and fullscreen HDR playback.
These drivers didn't change anything AFAICT. It's been working exactly this way since the latest madVR release. Details on what is and isn't working and why are in this post.
mrcorbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 12:27   #44429  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
I've been wondering for which chroma upscaling to use for 1080p movies. The display is 2560x1080p, so I guess Jinc or super-xbr 100 or NGU? Any hints will be appreciated
1080p height monitor so you're only doubling chroma once. I'd say just go NGU, whichever level your GPU can handle (although higher than "low" for chroma is probably a waste in most cases).

Are you cropping black bars for wider than 16/9 content though? That would change things a bit I guess, though I'd still use NGU chroma upscaling. But for the for extra upscaling needed I'd rely on Jinc.

Last edited by kalston; 25th July 2017 at 14:48.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 14:40   #44430  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalston View Post
1080p height monitor so you're only doubling chroma once. I'd say just go NGU, whichever level your GPU can handle (although higher than "low" for chroma is probably a waste in most cases).

Are you cropping black bars for wider than 16/9 content though? That would change things a bit I guess, though I'd still use NGU doubling. But for the for extra upscaling needed I'd rely on Jinc.
Thanks for the feedback, I'm mostly watching 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 movies, I was using Jinc for chroma and image upscaling. Will test NGU for chroma, image doubling is not needed in my case.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 16:59   #44431  |  Link
Sideeffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorbo View Post
These drivers didn't change anything AFAICT. It's been working exactly this way since the latest madVR release. Details on what is and isn't working and why are in this post.
Thanks for the link that explains the FSE.

As for the drivers Nvidia HDR mode hasn't worked in the last two driver sets one of which predates the madvr update.

Edit- The Microsoft HDR toggle isn't working in RGB mode but does work using Nvidia 422 colour mode which didn't work in previous drivers. I needed to change to default colour settings for it to work. So they have changed something

Last edited by Sideeffect; 25th July 2017 at 17:15.
Sideeffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 21:36   #44432  |  Link
sauma144

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
Actually, I'm working on a solution to automate the creation of optimized custom resolutions right now. Once that's available, I wouldn't expect you to get frame drops/repeats any more often than once every couple of hours. Hopefully even once every couple of days. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but that's the plan. FWIW, hardware clock circuits can change their speed slightly when they're cold vs. warm. So in the first couple of minutes after a cold start, the danger of getting frame drops will be higher than after the PC has warmed up to usual operating temperatures, because usual operating temperatures will of course be what we'll be aiming to optimize for.
Madshi is teasing us.
sauma144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 22:38   #44433  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauma144 View Post
Madshi is teasing us.
I'm praying on a daily basis that he will manage to pull it off.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 22:49   #44434  |  Link
mrcorbo

Quote:
As for the drivers Nvidia HDR mode hasn't worked in the last two driver sets one of which predates the madvr update.
The Nvidia HDR API works for madVR because of fixes madshi put in v0.91.11. I was running 384.76 at the time and it worked on those drivers, too.

Quote:
Edit- The Microsoft HDR toggle isn't working in RGB mode but does work using Nvidia 422 colour mode which didn't work in previous drivers. I needed to change to default colour settings for it to work. So they have changed something
This, specifically, has worked for me since 382.19. HDR is kind of all over the place, though, so maybe this driver did fix something on your system. <shrug>
mrcorbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 14:33   #44435  |  Link
x7007

What does it means

H264 , 8 bit 4:2:0 -> NV12 , 8 bit 4:2:0 ?

It usually was NV12 , 8 bit without conversion or something with h264. I downgraded from 384.72,94 .

when watching 1080p MKV Bluray rip movies ?

I'm using drivers 382.53

Old 26th July 2017, 18:21   #44436  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
H264 , 8 bit 4:2:0 -> NV12 , 8 bit 4:2:0
this means everything is working as it should. it just means 8 bit h264 is decoded to and send as NV12 8 bit 4::2:0 nothing else nothing new.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 01:44   #44437  |  Link
Starks

Has anyone had any luck using madvr with Bluesky on AMD drivers newer than 17.5.1?

Last edited by Starks; 27th July 2017 at 01:47.
Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 14:18   #44438  |  Link
x7007

Anyone who uses TV + Potplayer or MPC-HC with madVR as Exclusive Full screen and you use 60 Hz , do you have the problem that it changes the refresh rate to 59.94 while it does it there is long black blink ? it happened on both my Tv's Philips 7007 LED and now with OLED LG55C6 , is there anyway to fix it ? why when going full screen in the program causing it to change refresh rate ? how can I set it to use 60 Hz ?

Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 17:44   #44439  |  Link
valdeski

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Anyone who uses TV + Potplayer or MPC-HC with madVR as Exclusive Full screen and you use 60 Hz , do you have the problem that it changes the refresh rate to 59.94 while it does it there is long black blink ? it happened on both my Tv's Philips 7007 LED and now with OLED LG55C6 , is there anyway to fix it ? why when going full screen in the program causing it to change refresh rate ? how can I set it to use 60 Hz ?

Thanks
This happens if the monitor is connected using HDMI, truly annoying especially if you have multiple monitors.
I could solve this using Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) and removing unused resolutions or using an extension block to make it report like it's connected using DVI and thus avoiding this problem, however you must do this every time you update GPU drivers. I ended up connecting my monitors using DVI but that might not be possible for you.
valdeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 19:45   #44440  |  Link
JarrettH

When using smooth motion, does it matter whether I run 59 hz (59.933 hz actual) or 60 hz? 59 hz is better for timings, but I remember madshi saying higher refresh rates are better with smooth motion.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling