Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 26th March 2008, 20:20   #1061  |  Link
ajamils

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~bT~ View Post
^ yes, coz ur not trying to understand why we do things the way we do.
I'm trying to and that's why I'm asking all the questions to remove the doubts that I have
ajamils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 01:17   #1062  |  Link
Ryu77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils
1) So if I use *.mp4, I will not get 5.1 sound ? Also, the Blu-ray mode outputs a folder, is the *.m2ts file inside it ? If so, I can just copy that file to Ps3 and everything will be ok ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera
PS3 probably still downmix to 2.0. ( I haven't checked that with latest firmware ...)
The reason that the PS3 downmixes from the mp4 container is as follows...

As you are aware mp4 can not contain ac3 audio so aac must be used. It is possible to create a 5.1 channel aac stream but there are very few AV receivers that can decode this audio format (they do exist but are not very common).

So to get aac to play the PS3 knows that it must be decoded on board to PCM. Now here we face a little problem. 5.1 PCM has a bitrate of 4608Kbps (16 bit). An optical or coaxial cable are limited to the bandwidth of 1536Kbps, so that's just right for 2 channel PCM (or standard Dolby Digital/DTS). This is probably why you only hear 2 channels when decoding a 5.1 channel aac stream on board.

To get 5.1 channel PCM working you will need to have a HDMI v1.3 (10.2Gbps bandwidth limit) AV receiver and output the audio via your HDMI cable.

I am not 100% sure that the PS3 can decode 5.1 aac to 5.1 PCM as I don't have a HDMI v1.3 AV receiver. If anyone can add to this information... Please do.

Note: The PS3 is not capable of TrueHD bitstream either, it must be decoded on board and output as PCM.

Last edited by Ryu77; 27th March 2008 at 01:21.
Ryu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 03:02   #1063  |  Link
ajamils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu77 View Post
The reason that the PS3 downmixes from the mp4 container is as follows...

As you are aware mp4 can not contain ac3 audio so aac must be used. It is possible to create a 5.1 channel aac stream but there are very few AV receivers that can decode this audio format (they do exist but are not very common).

So to get aac to play the PS3 knows that it must be decoded on board to PCM. Now here we face a little problem. 5.1 PCM has a bitrate of 4608Kbps (16 bit). An optical or coaxial cable are limited to the bandwidth of 1536Kbps, so that's just right for 2 channel PCM (or standard Dolby Digital/DTS). This is probably why you only hear 2 channels when decoding a 5.1 channel aac stream on board.

To get 5.1 channel PCM working you will need to have a HDMI v1.3 (10.2Gbps bandwidth limit) AV receiver and output the audio via your HDMI cable.

I am not 100% sure that the PS3 can decode 5.1 aac to 5.1 PCM as I don't have a HDMI v1.3 AV receiver. If anyone can add to this information... Please do.

Note: The PS3 is not capable of TrueHD bitstream either, it must be decoded on board and output as PCM.
Thanks for the reply.

Fortunately, I do own a HDMI capable receiver and my Ps3 is connected to it via HDMI maybe that's why I was able to hear 5.1 in mp4 file. I also noticed that when I played that file, my receiver was showing "Multi Channel" which is the exact same display that I get when I play Blu-ray movies so I think its safe to assume that I was getting 5.1 PCM.
Old 27th March 2008, 03:22   #1064  |  Link
Ryu77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post
Fortunately, I do own a HDMI capable receiver and my Ps3 is connected to it via HDMI maybe that's why I was able to hear 5.1 in mp4 file. I also noticed that when I played that file, my receiver was showing "Multi Channel" which is the exact same display that I get when I play Blu-ray movies so I think its safe to assume that I was getting 5.1 PCM.
HDMI is not good enough. You need a HDMI v1.3 AV Receiver. These receivers usually cost about $2000+. Are you saying you have one of these AV receivers? From what you are saying, it sounds like you do.

Just a thought, my AV receiver also displays multi channel whenever it receives a digital audio stream (including 2.0 channel audio). 2.0 channel audio is then output to all speakers via Dolby Pro Logic II. However when it receives a 5.1 channel stream, it identifies this by highlighting all the speakers in the little diagram on the LED. Also, a little blue light turns on when it recieves a 5.1 stream.

Note: If you are unsure about the different HDMI versions, check out this page at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Anyway, back to your original question that inspired these posts. You asked why you shouldn't just output mp4 instead of Blu-ray... Blu-ray output supports a wider variety of elementary streams (including switchable subtitles) and as such is a better choice.

Last edited by Ryu77; 27th March 2008 at 03:47.
Old 27th March 2008, 04:11   #1065  |  Link
ajamils

1.3 receivers do not cost that much. You can get Onkyo 605 for less than $500

As for the original question, when you select output as Blu-ray...doesn't it create a whole folder and not just a single video file ?
Old 27th March 2008, 04:45   #1066  |  Link
Ryu77

Quote:
1.3 receivers do not cost that much. You can get Onkyo 605 for less than $500
Yes, it seems you are right about that AV receiver supporting HDMI v1.3. I was quoting Australian dollars previously. I just did a quick google search on that Onkyo receiver and it looks like the Onkyo TX-SR 605 is about $1,300 here, still quite a bit more than the $500 (or less?) like you claimed. Is that the AV receiver you actually own or were you just referring to it? If it is, you must have found a fantastic bargain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils
As for the original question, when you select output as Blu-ray...doesn't it create a whole folder and not just a single video file ?
That still doesn't take away from the fact that Blu-ray output is a better choice. You simply need to burn those folders as a UDF v2.5 disc.

Last edited by Ryu77; 27th March 2008 at 12:37.
Old 27th March 2008, 10:42   #1067  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
if you want single file just copy 00001.m2ts from blu-ray structure
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 11:45   #1068  |  Link
survivant001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu77 View Post
Yes, it seems you are right. I was quoting Australian dollars. I just did a quick google and it looks like the Onkyo TX-SR 605 is about $1,300 here.
I have a Onkyo TX-SR 505. and the HDMI is only a passtrough I didn,t know that. So I have to use HDMI for the video and optical for audio (using the PS3)
survivant001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 12:42   #1069  |  Link
~bT~
н∂-ƒαиαтι¢

^ trade it in quick
~bT~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 13:34   #1070  |  Link
ajamils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
if you want single file just copy 00001.m2ts from blu-ray structure
Finally the answer that I've been looking for. Thanks
Old 27th March 2008, 15:00   #1071  |  Link
~bT~
н∂-ƒαиαтι¢

Quote:
Finally the answer that I've been looking for. Thanks
he told you that yesterday mate

@ Atak

anything new cooking mate?
Old 27th March 2008, 15:11   #1072  |  Link
ajamils

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~bT~ View Post
he told you that yesterday mate

@ Atak

anything new cooking mate?
LOL.... maybe I wanted a "clear" answer
Old 31st March 2008, 17:46   #1073  |  Link
m0nkie

thanks for this great app.

but.. i need help solving my a/v sync problem which only happens if i use mkv as source (everything is ok if avi used). ripbot demuxes video and audio. and then i see that audio is longer than video what cannot possibly be, i guess. cause video and audio are from the same source. i tried to cut the audio, stretch it (doesnt make sense though), make a delay. the resulting file still has audio running too fast.

no such problem if using automkv for example. but id like to ripbot264 work as well.

thanks in advance.
m0nkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 20:19   #1074  |  Link
~bT~
н∂-ƒαиαтι¢

^ have you tried different media players to make sure its not the player?
Old 31st March 2008, 20:55   #1075  |  Link
m0nkie

it has nthing to do with player... i use it for psp
Old 31st March 2008, 23:44   #1076  |  Link
IYG

I used profit 4.1 and my output was .mp4.
Why can't I use it on my ipod?
IYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 00:01   #1077  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Answer is in profile (codec's settings)
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 00:37   #1078  |  Link
Ryu77

Quote:
Originally Posted by IYG View Post
An iPod can only handle up to level 3.0, baseline profile.
Old 1st April 2008, 00:46   #1079  |  Link
m0nkie

to all
why ignoring my question? how should i get rid of this a/v sync problem? what am i doing wrong? or is it the app?
Old 1st April 2008, 01:15   #1080  |  Link
Ryu77

Hello mOnkie, could you tell us more about your original file? Do you have any other information about the file? Maybe where it was sourced from originally?

You could use MediaInfoRaw to show us what the elementary streams are: http://www.mediafire.com/?ochgfxmjbzt

Paste the information it gives you here and let's see what we can come up with.

Atak or anybody else would love to help but we need to know more about what is happening before we can diagnose the problem.

My guess is that it could be a framerate discrepancy but we can't confirm until we know the origins of the media.

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360