Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th April 2020, 02:20   #59001  |  Link
HauteTension

1) I suppose he himself is in serious throwings.
Therefore, so far has not given a direct answer.
However, we see the facts.
They are such that the development of MadVR in its usual form has long been stopped.
Algorithms do not develop. There is no support for new formats.
It is not known how long the code will work until the next update of WIN or video drivers
turn it into a useless set of zeros and ones.

You can call it a “project frozen” or something else.
But the facts remains.

2) Actually for MadShi personally, it`t not so bad "businessplan".
As I understand, he got some sort of venture funding for "Envy project" and some share in "madVR Labs, LLC".

It brought enough money so that for about two years not to engage in any other work.
At the same time, without releasing any finished product to the market

Are there any real market prospects for this device?
Why, in an era when high-end projectors will rapidly die out under the onslaught of WALL`s, capable of showing real HDR,
someone in this market will need a video processor sharpened for HDR to SDR conversion?
And with a single HDMI-input?
Will they be able to sell more than one or two dozens of these devices?

Who cares?

3) Suppose, after another year or two, it will become obvious that the Envy project has suffered a complete commercial failure.
Everyone in "madVR Labs, LLC" had a good time, but sooner or later the funds will run out.

Will this be a reason to suddenly resume work on MadVR ?
In the free version, after all, it is unlikely.

Perhaps madVR will return as paid software?
But even here the prospects are misty.
Selling "millions copies" and earning 50-100 million euros will definitely not work here
On his own site, madshi talks about "hundreds of thousands of madVR users world-wide."
Suppose there are 500 thousand . But these are those who use the program for free.
Usually, only 1-2% of the user base are ready to switch to the paid version.
This is only 5000 people
Theoretically, even this tiny base is enough to feed one developer, although this will not turn him into a millionaire.
HauteTension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2020, 02:45   #59002  |  Link
mykillk

So back in the realm of actual MadVR questions. For "10-bit" displays that are actually 8-bit + 2-bit FRC, what should I set the native display bitdepth to in the properties section? EDID info shows 8-bit for bitdepth but I'm wondering if I should force it to 10-bit (particularly for HDR content) because it is capable of displaying more colors with FRC tricks.
mykillk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2020, 03:33   #59003  |  Link
Asmodian

No, 10 bit is not important, even for HDR. Keep using 8 bit to save yourself from extra complications for no benefit.
Old 5th April 2020, 13:11   #59004  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykillk View Post
So back in the realm of actual MadVR questions. For "10-bit" displays that are actually 8-bit + 2-bit FRC, what should I set the native display bitdepth to in the properties section? EDID info shows 8-bit for bitdepth but I'm wondering if I should force it to 10-bit (particularly for HDR content) because it is capable of displaying more colors with FRC tricks.
There's no such thing as 2 bit frc, it's either 8 bit or 10 bit.

the 10 bit can be achieved by 8 bit + frc or 8bit+ High-frc

You don't need to worry about this. Madvr output looks like 10bit even on 8bit.

the 10bit engine on the TV usually doesn't work well or works poorly, while 8-bit support is typically ubiquitous and stable.
Old 5th April 2020, 14:07   #59005  |  Link
Owyn

Just watched a video news about Nvidia's DLSS 2.0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWIKzRhYZm4
And I've been very wondering - can it be used to play old low-res 480p videos in mediaplayer? If in games it's a matter of fps - here it's a moon landing of upscaling (if I understand this right)
Owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2020, 14:56   #59006  |  Link
huhn

it seems to be hilariously bad:

https://i.imgsli.com/images/3f4bc0c7...31d0013c45.png
https://i.imgsli.com/images/f5ee702b...ee0cda82cb.png
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2020, 21:22   #59007  |  Link
littleD

Usually most of quite new games are playable on low end gpus. Its enough to turn off vsynch, antialiasing (especially MSAA and variations) and start with all quality on medium which is enough visual quality in today's game engines.
DLSS and Variable Rate Shading are teqniques for reducing quality. That is buisness move. Instead making games even faster on low end gpu, make them look worse, hah.

Keeping to game technologies, I would rather look at something called DSR. Upsample first, then downsample to native screen resolution leaving all aliasing away. Watching 4k movies (samples ) on my screen i get aliased power lines and fences and any other thin long lines. I am still about to find fast 4K to HD good quality image scaler.
littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2020, 22:07   #59008  |  Link
claw

madshi has made available for download and testing more than 100 builds of MadVR since September 2018 and since the last official release.

Last edited by claw; 5th April 2020 at 22:10.
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2020, 22:15   #59009  |  Link
huhn

a cheap downscaler is bicubic 150.
madVR doesn't seem to be using convolution(or what's called) that'S why it can go terrible wrong but it's super cheap even with convolution.

you can try it with convolution in mpcVR.
Old 5th April 2020, 23:06   #59010  |  Link
littleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
a cheap downscaler is bicubic 150.
madVR doesn't seem to be using convolution(or what's called) that'S why it can go terrible wrong but it's super cheap even with convolution.

you can try it with convolution in mpcVR.
Yes, thanks, madvr bc150 is nice even from 8k to hd But on intel frame droppping starts from 4k60fps to hd.
Mpcvr bicubic/sharp does not antialias.

@claw
I am on laptop with igpu and dgpu nvidia. I have to use igpu dxva hw acceleration decoding. Then i cannot use nvidia card for madvr, have to use intel gpu for scaling.
littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2020, 09:30   #59011  |  Link
HauteTension

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
madshi has made available for download and testing more than 100 builds of MadVR since September 2018 and since the last official release.
- He could do even 1000 releases per year. Or at least 100 releases per day.
What's the use? Is it at least 1%, somehow improved the "classic" MadVR?

Likely the speech about "Advanced HDR tone mapping" addition?
Well, madshi himself really needs this because he wants free beta testers for the Envy Project.
But hardly more than 5% of those who communicate in this thread really need this option.
Old 6th April 2020, 09:44   #59012  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Again... 7 posts from a lurker and we have an expert of this thread? How very interesting...

Also it is never a good sign when people with "beliefs" start spouting numbers... Usually means there is no reasoning with those people since they see their belief as fact.

QB

Last edited by QBhd; 6th April 2020 at 09:47.
QBhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2020, 09:51   #59013  |  Link
HauteTension

I am not saying that madshi does nothing.
On the contrary, it may work in this area much more than usual.
But what do we care about this job now?
When I say that madVR is DeadVR, I mean the demise of the project in the classic version "for the masses."
This work is for some very wealthy guys who are willing to pay $10K for admission

For him promised a lot of delicious new options.
For instance:

1) New, much better CNN algorithms.
True, they are not yet available, while open CNN solutions are developing with might and main and have surpassed any NGU in quality.

2) Special algo implemented which has a similar effect as "genlock".

3) Envy has a database of which algorithm costs how much rendering time at which quality level with which input & output resolutions. Using this database, Envy decides automatically which algorithms can be run in which quality without causing the GPU to run out of steam ... Envy does all this automatically, so the GPU is always running at about 85% of its power.

4) More performance with the same hardware.
"Since Envy only uses Nvidia GPUs, I can use CUDA for new algos, or for optimizing existing algos. The HTPC software also has to support AMD and Intel, so using CUDA there isn't really a good option."

5) And - even more.
"In the future, Envy will use Tensor cores for AI processing."

Here is the complete list of sweets that are served in a $ 10K pack.
All this could have appeared in the classic MadVR for a long time.
But now it will not appear, because its existence fundamentally contradicts new, commercial interests.

So, what do we care about all these goodies now?
Old 6th April 2020, 10:07   #59014  |  Link
Manni

Stop feeding the troll
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2020, 10:21   #59015  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

@HauteTension
If you think you could do better, you should actually do so and show us. If you can't, then there is really nothing else to say.
Old 6th April 2020, 17:52   #59016  |  Link
zapatista

Hi Madshi,

1) for the use of MadVR in win 8.1 (sending 10 bit video over hdmi to a 2e display in full screen mode) does it matter if i use Aero (light), a high contrast theme, or use a default (classic) theme for my desktop ?
i vaguely remember there might be some reasons not to use Aero modes with madvr, but it seems to work better for me atm (when i right click on the video screen playing in FSE mode to alter subtitle settings etc, it seems to disrupt the playing video less)

2) is there any external usb "digital tv receiver" unit that you recommend for use with madvr ? (eg USB DTV dongle type unit)

thank you for your great madvr program, it makes a Big difference in video quality on a good display with HTPC use
zapatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2020, 19:14   #59017  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
Again... 7 posts from a lurker and we have an expert of this thread? How very interesting...

Also it is never a good sign when people with "beliefs" start spouting numbers... Usually means there is no reasoning with those people since they see their belief as fact.

QB
Many people have mental illness, be nice.
Old 6th April 2020, 19:58   #59018  |  Link
DigitalLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Sorry guys, terribly busy atm. Just to let you know: My Nvidia driver contact just informed me that the HDR passthrough problems (not always engaging, and incorrect metadata) should be fixed in the next bigger driver release.

TODAY it has been ONE YEAR since MadShi wrote here.. Hope hes doing well and not working to hard on Envy!
Old 6th April 2020, 20:11   #59019  |  Link
huhn

this is not the first time this happens just move on and wait until he returns.

if madVR gets scraped, disconnected, returning to the old days or what ever fantasy someone wants to come up with nothing discussed here will change that.

if you want to add your input on this topic do it where is is active now and even talks about it and add your thoughts on it this may have an effect unlike this useless doom saying.

the current stated fact is madVR will continue and the details are unknown most likely even for madshi.
Old 7th April 2020, 19:04   #59020  |  Link
HauteTension

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Many people have mental illness, be nice.
It seems to me that mental illness is more likely when some people are so blind that they stubbornly believe in the continuation of free gifts
from the good Weihnachtsmann (german Santa Claus
Although they are no longer five years old.
And for two years now, Santa stopped harness his deers and sent them to stand as a window of Hi-End AV-salon
In addition, even Santa himself directly told them that the distribution of gifts "went sales through the floor"
and he "can't just brush off my business partner and all the distributors and dealers."

The situation is absolutely transparent.

But this does not prevent some peoples from believing that they need just have to wait a little longer
and free gifts will soon begin to pour in their mouths

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling