Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 21st January 2006, 16:18   #41  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

argh.. the new board upgrade has one major drawback.. move away from a page, come back and you lose what you've typed in quickreply.

Anyway, go to a commandprompt, type set, and look if you have an environment variable called
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2

(well, the part after the = can vary of course.. this is my X2)

Let me know if you have it, what it says if you have it, or if you don't have it. If you don't have it (I suspect that), go to the settings, and try unchecking "Automatically set number of threads".

And as far as W98 support goes.. if it works, good for you, if it doesn't, tough luck. But other than this thingie here, I suspect it'll work.. how well of course depends on how well the .NET framework works on W98 and what options it supports. It could be that things using multiple threads might not work so well on a system that still halfway bases on a 16 bit core never meant for real multitasking.
Old 21st January 2006, 17:13   #42  |  Link
DigitalDivide

Quote:
And meedio would be what? a .net 1.1 app? Just install the 2.0 framework and leave the 1.1 on your machine. Applications will pick the proper framework all by themselves.. you will have zero problems (trust me.. I do it at work and I have written and have to maintain 1.1 apps along with 2.0 apps).
Meedio is a frontend htpc app much like MCE. Unfortunately a number of users there have reported a number of problems with plugins to the main app, they have both on their system or simply net 2. We are waiting for Meedio Dev to give up an update on the issue. Hence why I have to stick with net 1.1 for now until it's addressed. Being my htpc where I play my movies and music etc I don't want to kill anything. I wish I had two pc's.

Is there a place I can find the latest version of MeGUI that works with 1.1?
Old 21st January 2006, 17:20   #43  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Is there a place I can find the latest version of MeGUI that works with 1.1?
No, we don't keep them. I have a hard time believing that having both frameworks installed would cause any problems... an extremely hard time even.
Old 21st January 2006, 17:26   #44  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

As I've mentioned before, I have over 15 versions of the framework installed on one of my work machines...it's nothing to worry about.
Richard Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2006, 17:28   #45  |  Link
DigitalDivide

Quote:
No, we don't keep them. I have a hard time believing that having both frameworks installed would cause any problems... an extremely hard time even.
Well since a number of users have complained about problems right after installing net2 I think I'll stay away from it until everything is worked out. I learnt early on it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to my htpc. I'll stick with my old version of MeGUI. Thanks anyhow.
Old 21st January 2006, 17:31   #46  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I'm quite sure those people did what you normally do when installing new software... uninstall the old first.
Old 21st January 2006, 19:06   #47  |  Link
Poutnik
Useless idea generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
Anyway, go to a commandprompt, type set, and look if you have an environment variable called
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2

(well, the part after the = can vary of course.. this is my X2)

Let me know if you have it, what it says if you have it, or if you don't have it. If you don't have it (I suspect that), go to the settings, and try unchecking "Automatically set number of threads".
Well,there was not such enviroment variable.
After unchecking "Automatically set number of threads" I have SUCCESSFULLY added job to queue and than
started to encode.
AVI by VfW plays fine, now to find what plays MP4 ( Neither my favourite MV2Player nor WMP 9 can do it )
Now I wil try MKV ( have Matroska pack been installed )

Thank, oh big lord Doom9 :-)
Old 21st January 2006, 19:30   #48  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
now to find what plays MP4
You need to install the proper filters. For starters.. ffdshow or coreavc for x264 decoding, and the haali splitter.
Old 22nd January 2006, 14:11   #49  |  Link
Morte66
Flying Skull

Can anybody outline the impact of the "Automatic Deinterlace" checkbox in the One Click Encoder dialogues?

If I check it, will I get the sort of deinterlacing I would expect in a Robot4Rip job using DGIndex?

If I don't check it, what happens? Interlaced video gets fed to x264, or...?
Morte66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2006, 14:30   #50  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Ever used autogk? Automatic Deinterlace does just that.. analyze the source, if it's found to be interlaced, the proper deinterlace filter will be applied. This is not the same as force film (as in robot4rip).. that functionality is provided by the d2v project creator (and the configuration in the settings). The two are mutually exclusive.. if automatic force film finds that force film can be applied, the output is progressive.. so automatic deinterlace won't do anything.. if force film cannot be applied, then automatic deinterlace could deinterlace or ivtc depending on the source properties.

If you use neither functionality and your source is interlaced.. then yes, the encoder will be fed with an interlaced signal.
Old 22nd January 2006, 14:51   #51  |  Link
Morte66
Flying Skull

Quote:
Ever used autogk? Automatic Deinterlace does just that.. [...]
Thanks. I figure I should turn that on by default for PAL DVD backup, right?
Old 22nd January 2006, 15:42   #52  |  Link
twist3d
encoder enthusiast

sorry if this is already posted (looked for it and didn't find anything :P) but
there seems to be error in deblock filter selection (if I understanded akupenguin's reply right ),
look at my question at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...941#post772941
twist3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2006, 15:51   #53  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I figure I should turn that on by default for PAL DVD backup, right?
No, only when unsure about the source. E.G. if you know force film has been done, you know the thing is progressive.. if you have a PAL movie and the d2v preview looks progressive.. there's no need to worry either.
Old 22nd January 2006, 16:08   #54  |  Link
Morte66
Flying Skull

Quote:
No, only when unsure about the source. E.G. if you know force film has been done, you know the thing is progressive.. if you have a PAL movie and the d2v preview looks progressive.. there's no need to worry either.
I'm getting a bit confused, here -- when I set/clear this checkbox I haven't looked at any video at all, and no apps (DGIndex, Avisynth filters, or whatever the heck One Click Encoder uses) have been run.

Maybe it'll become clear if I do a little test... * goes off to play *
Old 22nd January 2006, 22:27   #55  |  Link
Poutnik
Useless idea generator

Quote:
You need to install the proper filters. For starters.. ffdshow or coreavc for x264 decoding, and the haali splitter.
i have FFDshow already installed ( in other case I supposed would not be able do see avi/x264. Haali is next turn .... Thanks for help.
Old 3rd February 2006, 00:50   #56  |  Link
cc979
Curious BetaTester

i've re-install windows, avisynth and megui and that
i setup megui plugins using "C:\Program Files\GordianKnot\AviSynthPlugins"

but it wants decomb.dll in the "C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins" is that normal or a little bug ?

Tools: ProcessExplorer & ProcessMonitor - BatchCompressor

Guide: MinGW Compiling GCC
cc979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 01:06   #57  |  Link
Dayvon
I'm Dayvon, an MP4 addict

Do you have Gordian Knot installed? It looks like it. If you have AVISynth, then you really don't need Gordian Knot anymore, and the fact that you have 2 installed AVISynth programs might be messing up the path assigning. I suggest either unistalling Gordian Knot, or installing AVISynth to the path it's looking for.

Do you need to decomb your source (i.e. is your source interlaced?) ? If not then open the AVS file with Notepad and erase the line that will say something like:

Decomb()

If you do need to decomb, then you have the decomb.dll in the "C:\Program Files\GordianKnot\AviSynthPlugins" folder, so you could make the path that MeGUI is searching for and put the decomb.dll there.

Last edited by Dayvon; 3rd February 2006 at 01:09.
Dayvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 06:47   #58  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc979
i've re-install windows, avisynth and megui and that
i setup megui plugins using "C:\Program Files\GordianKnot\AviSynthPlugins"
Per the MeGUI Guide,
Quote:
'avisynth plugins' is no longer used.
I think that pretty much answers your question.

MeGUI forces (to some extent, but not completely) you to use the AviSynth plugins directory, because that is generally a good idea -- it avoids bloating your scripts, and makes writing scripts easier, because there are fewer directory paths that you have to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvon
Do you have Gordian Knot installed? It looks like it. If you have AVISynth, then you really don't need Gordian Knot anymore, and the fact that you have 2 installed AVISynth programs might be messing up the path assigning. I suggest either unistalling Gordian Knot, or installing AVISynth to the path it's looking for.
That's not necessary, as I explained above

Quote:
Do you need to decomb your source (i.e. is your source interlaced?) ?
Actually, Decomb is used for the source detection, so it is required anyway. The source detection script is generated differently from all the other scripts, and (at the moment) doesn't allow any flexibility in where decomb.dll is. It must be in the AviSynth plugins directory. End of story.
berrinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 07:25   #59  |  Link
Dayvon
I'm Dayvon, an MP4 addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
Actually, Decomb is used for the source detection, so it is required anyway. The source detection script is generated differently from all the other scripts, and (at the moment) doesn't allow any flexibility in where decomb.dll is. It must be in the AviSynth plugins directory. End of story.
Right, that is assuming you use MeGUI to generate your scripts, and further, you use the detection script. I don't generally, which is why I asked. No need to use source detection if you already did that in DGIndex
Old 3rd February 2006, 07:41   #60  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvon
No need to use source detection if you already did that in DGIndex
I think I cleared this up for someone else a little while ago: what DGIndex reports is based on the flags in the bitstream headers, whereas MeGUI's source detection actually analyses the video. While the end results will be the same for most DVD sources, those in which the bitstream flags don't match the video content will be detected correctly by MeGUI's source detection, but not by DGIndex. This is often the case with DVB sources, and it can also happen with badly mastered DVDs.

Of course, I'm not saying that you HAVE to use it, I just want to point out that MeGUI's source detection is actually more advanced, and consequently more accurate than DGIndex's.

I merely mentioned source detection, because that is the only place in MeGUI where you HAVE to put Decomb.dll in the AviSynth plugins directory, and it is also the only place where a specific Decomb.dll message will show if you haven't so I thought that it was likely that cc979 was getting his problems from that direction.
berrinam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
megui