Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 27th September 2017, 20:18   #581  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
I assume this is a typo??

Script properties in Aegisub states 1920x1080

Thanks for latest beta, will go testing again.
Yes, that was a typo?

Quote:
Never mind, sorry...
?

@Music Fan: OK, good catch with the time codes... I guess that will not work then. What do you do with the TS image subs - resave or ocr?
Nikse555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 22:19   #582  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikse555 View Post
@Music Fan: OK, good catch with the time codes... I guess that will not work then. What do you do with the TS image subs - resave or ocr?
Only resave in Blu-ray sup.
Thus you believe there is no way to save the parsing or let the parsing window opened after selecting one of the sups to select the second after dealing with the first ?
Music Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2017, 11:10   #583  |  Link
von Suppé

Lineheight-fontsize ratio and image size

Hi Nikse

Been busy, sorry for late reply.

Latest beta's right offset value still doesn't work proper. Output is (still) too much to the left.
Left offset has stayed okay, though.

The 'Line height' value reacts weird IMHO.

You can imagine, when filling in this value, one tends to imagine a virtual frame around the line(s), in which the subtitle would fit. It would sort of represent the outsides of the rectangled image created (when exporting to SUP or XML-PNG).

Since you have altered the SUP size calculation, the Lineheight value doesn't behave in ratio to the used fontsize number, it feels.
To get my wanted space between lines, I now must use a number that often would be smaller than the fontsize number itself. This feels awkward and not logical. Did you take into account the function of the lineheight value, when you changed the image output size?

Furtherly, I assume that this Lineheight value (besides the space between two lines) also has influence on the amount of "extra, transparent" pixels around all 4 sides of the subtitle. So, IMO, it would somehow co-determine the total rectangle size of the subtitle-image. I hope you understand what I mean with this, it's a bit tricky to explain...

Now, in the Blu-ray SUP export window, would it be possible to implement a frame around the subtitle that would real-time and actively reflect the proper total image with the current Lineheight? I don't mean the preview after "Preview" button, but directly in the SUP-export window itself.

A reason for me wanting this, is because of the result when using (all four, but mainly the bottom -) offset settings.
You can imagine, seeing directly the total subtitle-image, one can make out for himself if adding or reducing offset pixels is necessary.

Thanks for your hard work,
cheers

Last edited by von Suppé; 28th September 2017 at 11:27.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2017, 20:29   #584  |  Link
Nikse555

@Music Fan: Ah, perhaps a context-menu will solve it? Try to right click on a track in the choose subtitle window in latest beta: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip

@von Suppé: thx for testing again
The line height calculation seems to work fine for me - can you supply an example where it works poorly?

Quote:
Furtherly, I assume that this Lineheight value (besides the space between two lines) also has influence on the amount of "extra, transparent" pixels around all 4 sides of the subtitle. So, IMO, it would somehow co-determine the total rectangle size of the subtitle-image. I hope you understand what I mean with this, it's a bit tricky to explain...
cheers
Yes, SE calculates a height to use as a base-line in order to avoid too much jumping up and down of letters.
I guess it would be nice to be able to see this (and if it's too large/small)
Old 28th September 2017, 22:44   #585  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
@Music Fan: Ah, perhaps a context-menu will solve it? Try to right click on a track in the choose subtitle window in latest beta
There is no change compared to previous version : once I selected a subtitle, this window closes, the OCR window opens and when I have finished with this subtitle track, I have to make a new parsing to select to other subtitle track.
Old 29th September 2017, 05:08   #586  |  Link
Nikse555

@Music Fan: Did you re-download the beta?
Old 29th September 2017, 09:27   #587  |  Link
Music Fan

Great, you rule man !
Actually the beta version I downloaded yesterday could already do this but I hadn't understood what you meant with the right click.

If I need to OCR both tracks, I can simply begin to export them in Blu-ray sup to avoid 2 parsings, then I can load each sup separately.

There is still the size problem, we already discussed about it : after conversion in Blu-ray Sup (keeping 1920x1080 resolution) and remux in ts with TSMuxer, the subs are more little than in the original ts with the DVB Sup, look at these caps (click to get full size) ;
original :

after conversion :

If you look carefully, you will notice that the original subs are not as sharpened as subtitles that we find on Blu-ray's, as if their resolution was not in 1920x1080 but contained an additional information to be displayed in a greater resolution.
And SE probably detects only the actual resolution without the additional information (a sort of flag).
Or there are well in 1920x1080 and SE detects a lower resolution for some reason

Thus, after this conversion, I always resize sups with BDSup2Sub (but I could maybe do this with SE, never tried).

Last edited by Music Fan; 29th September 2017 at 09:35.
Old 29th September 2017, 11:06   #588  |  Link
von Suppé

Hi Nikse,

Take a look at the 2 screenshots from SE 353 and SE beta export windows. Settings are so, that subtitles have same space between the lines and look the same. Same Lineheight values are used, whereas the fontsizes are differently chosen, because of the resizing you adapted.

SE 353 settings

SE beta settings

To be sure, I compared the two resulting .png files.

My findings:
Within the png's, vertical sizes of the text-lines themselves are the same (lucky shot on the different fontsizes ).

Also they have the same spaces between the lines. Now, IMO this is (next to the fluke that vertical text size is the same) because of the same Lineheights being used.
The widths of the texts are approx. the same.
H/V number of pixels of the total .png files vary a little. I found out, that this is also because SE353 puts out more transparent pixels around the text than latest beta.

Can you imagine, that the ratio of lineheight/fontsize in SE353 is more logical to a person? Lineheight (46) is a bigger number than fontsize (37); this makes sense.

For the same output, in SE beta I had to choose a fontsize value (52) which is higher than the Lineheight (46). This feels awkward in the workflow.

Quote:
can you supply an example where it works poorly?
It is absolutely not working poorly. It does exactly what it needs to do.
I think it is about the auto-interpretation that the units of Lineheight and Fontsize should be the same and that the result (also in preview) should logically and in ratio follow the changes made.
As I earlier said, you can imagine one likes/tends to imagine a "Lineheight-settings dependent" frame around a subtitle, in which it would fit. Lineheight being smaller than fontsize makes no sense then and don't feel good.

Last edited by von Suppé; 29th September 2017 at 11:16.
Old 29th September 2017, 12:12   #589  |  Link
von Suppé

@ Music Fan:

Sorry, can't help it, but what does happen to the spoon in the following frames?
You need subs.....?
Old 29th September 2017, 13:53   #590  |  Link
Music Fan

The spoon is getting hotter, for sure
Old 1st October 2017, 14:37   #591  |  Link
Nikse555

@von Suppé: I've done some more tests with font size and the beta has been updated with a more precise font size match with vlc/mpv - now the font size is multiplied by 0.895.
Beta link: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip

I don't think there's a relationship between font size and pixel size...

@Music Fan: I still believe that the player just upscales the ts-subtitles.
Sorry, no resize for images in SE atm...

EDIT: The above beta will probably be (or very close to) SE 3.5.4 - so please test

Last edited by Nikse555; 1st October 2017 at 15:40.
Old 1st October 2017, 19:49   #592  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
@Music Fan: I still believe that the player just upscales the ts-subtitles.
I'm not sure about this because on my STB (VU+), the subtitles with the original TS do have the same size than on my pc with MPC-HC.
Thus if MPC-HC makes resize for these DVB-SUB, my STB also does. At the very same size, strange.
Why would this format have to be encoded with a lower resolution than the video and be resized ? This does not make sense to me.
And if it's the case, the information about the resize has to be written somewhere in the stream.
As MPC-HC and VLC do the same resize, you could maybe find informations about this in VLC's codes.

Last edited by Music Fan; 1st October 2017 at 20:48. Reason: forgot word
Old 1st October 2017, 20:30   #593  |  Link
Nikse555

Yes, I guess it's possible some scaling info exists somewhere in the ts file - if anybody knows about this, please do share!
I guess the VLC source contains this info, but it's probably not super easy to find - also I'm not very good at reading C code.

SE now includes the option to resize in the export window: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip
Old 1st October 2017, 21:24   #594  |  Link
Music Fan

Great, you didn't lose time !
240 % gives good results.
But strange thing : with the resized sups, some lines are grey, others are white, while they all look similar in the non-resized sup.

Other suggestion : could you add synchro support for sups ?
If no there is a trick which is not very practical : in the OCR window, push on OK without making OCR, the timecodes appears without text. Make synchro, save, re-load the sup and in the OCR window, right click, import new timecodes, right click, export, Blu-ray sup, export all lines.

Last edited by Music Fan; 1st October 2017 at 21:30.
Old 2nd October 2017, 08:24   #595  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
The above beta will probably be (or very close to) SE 3.5.4 - so please test
Will do! Thanks Nikse

Edit: Nikse, nowadays I use export to XML_PNG a lot. It appears that this export mode has a timecode bug?
Seeing back the result in BDSup2Sub the timings are off (at least for 23.976 fps).
Whereas the SUP export timings always were okay (within 1/1000 sec), now in latest beta the timecodes are more off (approx. 45/1000 sec)??

SE353 suffered the same XML_PNG bug btw.

Last edited by von Suppé; 2nd October 2017 at 13:26.
Old 2nd October 2017, 23:13   #596  |  Link
Zetti

Thanks for new release:
https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...ases/tag/3.5.4
Zetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2017, 19:52   #597  |  Link
von Suppé

Hi Nikse,

Thanks for your hard work I'll go test 3.5.4 extensively.

Quick test still shows timings bug with XML_PNG export, at least for 23.976 framerate. I guess you didn't read my yesterday's post yet before launching latest. It sure looks famaliar to BDSup2Sub's bug.
Old 4th October 2017, 15:32   #598  |  Link
varekai

Subtitle Edit 3.5.4 audio/video problem

Having a weird issue with displaying video and audio.
When selecting
Options -->
Settings -->
Videoplayer -->
Video engine -->
Selecting DirectShow I get video but no audio.
Selecting MPC-HC I get audio but no video.
I can't figure this one out.
Probably got something to do with codecs.
I got LAV Filters, MPC-HC, PotPlayer installed.
No extra (evil) codec packs that I know of.
Any ideas how to solve will be much appreciated.

Edit:
Last thing I wanted was to install another mediaplayer but that's what I did.
Installed VLC 2.2.6 win64 and now I got both video and audio...
It's a workaround for now, strange thing is it used to work with MPC-HC alone.

Last edited by varekai; 5th October 2017 at 10:28. Reason: Info
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 22:50   #599  |  Link
mbcd

true BD" subs

Beside of my study, I am working on a new app to handle this feature.
I cant promise you anything, it will take still a long time until I get a release of anything that is worth its name "program" ... because only very less time free to work on it.

Problem is, I cant test anything, because I dont have such a file that contains those multiple text-items.

Is here anyone who could provide me a sample sup-file, please ?
Then I could at least test if my parser is working fine with it right now.

And again: It will take a long time until I get something managed to release.

For first, I plan to do basic stuff, like convert to bdn-xml (both directions), extracting forced, merge normal + forced, and as its best I will implement a way to use a cutlist, so you can adjust a video you edited in an Video-Editing-Software, using the EDL-file-format as cutlist.
So mostly basic stuff that old BDSup2Sub did, but with bugs. It will be forced to work only with bluray-subtitles, not the oder DVD (at least for exporting, not sure about importing).

This are my plans for commandline-options.

Last edited by mbcd; 4th October 2017 at 22:55.
mbcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 22:08   #600  |  Link
Nikse555

@Music Fan: Don't know about the color in the resized subs - seems okay to me, but I guess SE might make the inner color darker, if the sub has a lot of dark outline/shadow. If you have an image sub that's very bad I could take a look.
About the sync in export - would just "move" be okay - like this https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip - or what did you expect/need?

@von Suppé: Could you explain more about the 23.976 problem? Perhaps a source file, and a target file with the expected result?
Do you mean to multiply all times with 0.999 ? Drop frame is annoying...

@mbcd: You can probably find the examples you seek in the BDSup2Sub thread. Is your program written in C# ? On github?

@varekai: I'm not sure about what's the problem is with codecs... you could try to re-install latest version of LAV filters. Also, libmpv is an excellent media player and can be installed from inside SE via Options -> Settings -> Video player.
Normally I prefer DirectShow or libmpv as the seeking is very precise unlike VLC.