Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2005, 07:58   #1  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

YAMB 1.6 is out

Hi,

YAMB or Yet Another MP4Box GUI can be interesting for you if you would like to create mp4 files by adding different A/V files or edit some kind of files.

YAMB Features :
  • Mux a lot of Audio (aac, mp4, mp3, vorbis...) & Video Files (3gp, mp4, mpeg, vob, ogg, avi...) with subtitles and chapters support.
  • Split/Join mp4 files.
  • Extract some tracks from AVI files or raw/mp4/3gp streams, subtitles and chapters.
  • Have some infos about your files.
  • Tagging.

Here is a screenshot :

Download : Yamb with installer (Yamb+mp4box) / Yamb exe only or here if the first links are broken.

Guide :
A great overview to create/edit mp4 files with Yamb :: http://www.doom9.org/mp4.htm

Discussion :

Last edited by Kurtnoise; 31st July 2006 at 08:19.
Old 3rd May 2005, 12:41   #2  |  Link
bond

some things i meantioned:
- video drop down list, lists raw mpeg-4 part2 video (.m4v and .cmp) together with .mp4 container files (which of course can also contain non-mpeg4 streams), to avoid confusion it might be better to move .mp4 into an own row
- the same goes for audio: you mix .aac with .mp4, of course .mp4 could also include mp3 or mp2 audio for example, so this might confuse people in some situations (and maybe you want to add the .m4a extension too (.m4a = .mp4) IF mp4box knows the .m4a extension (dunno))
- you might also want to add .3gp support to the input options
- for chapters: what is the "gpac format"? mp4box supports a lot of chapter formats, so this isnt really clear imho!?
- strictly speaking its also possible to mux more than 1 video stream, not many people will do that, but maybe you want to support this too?
- for container files (audio and video): .avi, .mpg, .mp4 there is also the possibility to choose what you want to import in mp4box (for .avi and .mpg its #audio or #video, for .mp4 its the trackid, cause if this is not defined, both audio and video (or better said all streams in the container) will get imported from the container)
you can solve this by adding always #video to .avi and .mpg inputs in the video tab
the same for the audio tab (add #audio to .avi, but you can also import audio-only that way from .mpg files (mp2 audio) so it might be a good idea to add this (.mpg and always adding #audio) to the audio tab too)
for .mp4 files you need to define the trackid, which is a more difficult task actually (audio-only .mp4 files normally always use the trackid 1 for the audio stream), but for audio+video .mp4 files it becomes more difficult, so you might want to leave this as is
- are you sure that *.3gpp is a valid extension? i only know .3gp and .3g2

- in the splitting tab the dropdown list says "all supported files *.*" you might want to change this to .mp4 only
- mp4box can also split from time X to time Y, which is very powerful imho, you might want to add this too (if you have enough free time, it would be nice to get a window where the video is displayed where you can seek keyframe-wise to a specific point, set that time aso... well that would than be virtualdub )
- its maybe a good idea to display the used cmdl in the splitting tab too, when enable that under options

- maybe you want to add an overall option to the options tab which let you set that the mp4box window should stay open after the conversion, so people can check the import reports
- does the "keep systems tracks" option work? it doesnt seem to change the cmdl here!?

all in all great tool

edit: btw does yamb really only pass the cmdl to mp4box or does it do some more things?

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free

Last edited by bond; 3rd May 2005 at 13:03.
Old 3rd May 2005, 13:02   #3  |  Link
bond

of course all the points i mentioned for mp4boxgui here are valid for your tool too, eg -nodrop, framerate setting, sbr signalling are very important too...

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 3rd May 2005, 13:25   #4  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

hey,

Quote:
Originally posted by bond
some things i meantioned:
- video drop down list, lists raw mpeg-4 part2 video (.m4v and .cmp) together with .mp4 container files (which of course can also contain non-mpeg4 streams), to avoid confusion it might be better to move .mp4 into an own row
- the same goes for audio: you mix .aac with .mp4, of course .mp4 could also include mp3 or mp2 audio for example, so this might confuse people in some situations (and maybe you want to add the .m4a extension too (.m4a = .mp4) IF mp4box knows the .m4a extension (dunno))
- you might also want to add .3gp support to the input options
ok, no problem.

Quote:
- for chapters: what is the "gpac format"? mp4box supports a lot of chapter formats, so this isnt really clear imho!?
it's like this :

Code:
code:00:00:00.000 Some Chaptername for Chapter 1
00:00:00.880 Some Chaptername for Chapter 2
00:00:02.400 Some Chaptername for Chapter 3
00:00:06.720 Some Chaptername for Chapter 4
00:00:08.840 Some Chaptername for Chapter 5
I decided to name it "GPAC format" to avoid the confusion with subtitles format...Yes I know it's not clear. If you have a good name...

Quote:
- strictly speaking its also possible to mux more than 1 video stream, not many people will do that, but maybe you want to support this too?
mmh yes. why not but is it work for the playback ? with haali splitter I think.

Quote:
- for container files (audio and video): .avi, .mpg, .mp4 there is also the possibility to choose what you want to import in mp4box (for .avi and .mpg its #audio or #video, for .mp4 its the trackid, cause if this is not defined, both audio and video (or better said all streams in the container) will get imported from the container)
you can solve this by adding always #video to .avi and .mpg inputs in the video tab
the same for the audio tab (add #audio to .avi, but you can also import audio-only that way from .mpg files (mp2 audio) so it might be a good idea to add this (.mpg and always adding #audio) to the audio tab too)
for .mp4 files you need to define the trackid, which is a more difficult task actually (audio-only .mp4 files normally always use the trackid 1 for the audio stream), but for audio+video .mp4 files it becomes more difficult, so you might want to leave this as is
I plan to add some import/dump functions in a new tab...so, yes.

Quote:
- are you sure that *.3gpp is a valid extension? i only know .3gp and .3g2
IIRC, there is no official extension for 3gp files. I checked -h format command to have these extensions.

Quote:
- in the splitting tab the dropdown list says "all supported files *.*" you might want to change this to .mp4 only
ok

Quote:
- mp4box can also split from time X to time Y, which is very powerful imho, you might want to add this too (if you have enough free time, it would be nice to get a window where the video is displayed where you can seek keyframe-wise to a specific point, set that time aso... well that would than be virtualdub )
You read my thought...Yeah, it's expected.

Quote:
- its maybe a good idea to display the used cmdl in the splitting tab too, when enable that under options
we have already the cmdl in this tab...

Quote:
- maybe you want to add an overall option to the options tab which let you set that the mp4box window should stay open after the conversion, so people can check the import reports
maybe...

Quote:
- does the "keep systems tracks" option work? it doesnt seem to change the cmdl here!?
No, it doesn't work. I disable this option for the moment.

Quote:
edit: btw does yamb really only pass the cmdl to mp4box or does it do some more things?
for the moment, it pass only the cmdl.
Old 3rd May 2005, 13:40   #5  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurtnoise13
I decided to name it "GPAC format" to avoid the confusion with subtitles format...Yes I know it's not clear. If you have a good name...
hm now that you explianed it it indeed fits well i would say

Quote:
mmh yes. why not but is it work for the playback ? with haali splitter I think.
should work with haali and also in non-dshow players like videolan

Quote:
I plan to add some import/dump functions in a new tab...so, yes.
well thats not really that needed for the audio/video import of .avi and .mpg files!
maybe i didnt explain it too well but you could always add #video to .mpg and .avi inputs in the video tab to make sure only the video gets imported (cause if not setting #video all streams get used from that input file!)
the same goes for the audio too (you can add audio from .avi and .mpg too in mp4box, which you might want to add inclusive the #audio to make sure that really only the audio is taken from these files!)

about the new "import/dump functions tab" will it include things like setting the framerate for raw video and the option to signal sbr for he-aac?
also the -nodrop option shouldnt be forgotten, cause it confuses people a lot when they get a variable framerate stream after importing as you can see in some posts

Quote:
we have already the cmdl in this tab...
hm strange now it works, but before it didnt ?

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 3rd May 2005, 15:27   #6  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
well thats not really that needed for the audio/video import of .avi and .mpg files!
maybe i didnt explain it too well but you could always add #video to .mpg and .avi inputs in the video tab to make sure only the video gets imported (cause if not setting #video all streams get used from that input file!)
the same goes for the audio too (you can add audio from .avi and .mpg too in mp4box, which you might want to add inclusive the #audio to make sure that really only the audio is taken from these files!)
thanks...it's much clear now.

Quote:
about the new "import/dump functions tab" will it include things like setting the framerate for raw video and the option to signal sbr for he-aac?
also the -nodrop option shouldnt be forgotten, cause it confuses people a lot when they get a variable framerate stream after importing as you can see in some posts
yes...if you are interesting by other things, let me know.
Old 5th May 2005, 17:23   #7  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

YAMB 1.1 is out.

changelog:

- Added some import functions for Audio & Video parts as recommended by Bond. (right click on the box to enable the button).
- Several changes concerning drop-down lists for Mux Tab.
- Added "split start:end" option.
- Added "extract raw A/V files from AVI" feature.

download : with installer // Yamb.exe only
Old 5th May 2005, 17:58   #8  |  Link
bond

- under import options: are the options like "video only" not functional atm, or am i too dumb to check how/when they can be enabled!?
- and as i said i really recommend to add by default #video to the video import files and #audio to the audio import files (.avi, .mpg and .ogg)
any reason not to do that? i think it makes it much more clearer and avoids hassles with input files containg audio+video
- calling an option "force packed bitstream" is totally misleading. packed bitstream is and will never be allowed in .mp4! i assume you mean the -packed switch, which force unpacking of packed bitstream. actually this option is pretty useless as mp4box will in any situation unpack a packed bitstream even if you dont set -packed, so i wouldnt even offer that option in the gui
if you still want to offer it, call it "force unpacking" or so
- .m4a files are container files (.m4a = .mp4! only the extension is different)
- the name "force cfr" is also misleading, as it will not convert a vfr stream to a cfr one for example, better call it "keep n-vops" or make it disabled by default and call it "force vfr" or "make vfr if possible"
- as i said already, its possible to import audio from .avi (mp3) and .mpg too! actually the only way to get mp2 audio into .mp4 with mp4box is to import from .mpg, so it would make much sense to offer these input formats under audio too (together with #audio)
- when having two different audio streams in the list its not possible anymore to set the sbr signalling option
- better not call it "aac-sbr", but either only "sbr" or "he-aac", cause aac-sbr is an expression nowhere used (except in coreaac), the official expression is "he-aac" (the name of the technology is "sbr"). calling it aac-sbr, will make newbies think its maybe a third, new profile next to lc and he aac
- are you planning to add .mp4 extracting too to yamb?

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 5th May 2005, 19:34   #9  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
- under import options: are the options like "video only" not functional atm, or am i too dumb to check how/when they can be enabled!?
strange...works fine here. Did you load an avi first or another file ?

Quote:
- and as i said i really recommend to add by default #video to the video import files and #audio to the audio import files (.avi, .mpg and .ogg)
any reason not to do that? i think it makes it much more clearer and avoids hassles with input files containg audio+video
well..I thought it was better that people can choose these options by themself. But I can manage them by default for sure.

Quote:
- and as i said i really recommend to add by default #video to the - calling an option "force packed bitstream" is totally misleading. packed bitstream is and will never be allowed in .mp4! i assume you mean the -packed switch, which force unpacking of packed bitstream. actually this option is pretty useless as mp4box will in any situation unpack a packed bitstream even if you dont set -packed, so i wouldnt even offer that option in the gui
ok, my bad. I'll change that.

Quote:
- .m4a files are container files (.m4a = .mp4! only the extension is different)

Quote:
- the name "force cfr" is also misleading, as it will not convert a vfr stream to a cfr one for example, better call it "keep n-vops" or make it disabled by default and call it "force vfr" or "make vfr if possible"
ok...
Quote:
- as i said already, its possible to import audio from .avi (mp3) and .mpg too! actually the only way to get mp2 audio into .mp4 with mp4box is to import from .mpg, so it would make much sense to offer these input formats under audio too (together with #audio)
Indeed...I forgot that.

Quote:
- when having two different audio streams in the list its not possible anymore to set the sbr signalling option
huh..yes, a bug.

Quote:
- - better not call it "aac-sbr", but either only "sbr" or "he-aac", cause aac-sbr is an expression nowhere used (except in coreaac), the official expression is "he-aac" (the name of the technology is "sbr"). calling it aac-sbr, will make newbies think its maybe a third, new profile next to lc and he aac
well...as you said. It could be confusing.No problem, I'll change that.

Quote:
- are you planning to add .mp4 extracting too to yamb?
yes
Old 5th May 2005, 19:51   #10  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

The GUI is shaping up really nicely now Kurt... many thanks.

Cheers
Old 5th May 2005, 19:54   #11  |  Link
bond

Quote:
[B]strange...works fine here. Did you load an avi first or another file ?
hm it seems that after you load a .mp4 files, and than an .avi, you cant choose the options anymore, altough its an .avi

if i load a .avi right at the beginning it works

btw when loading a .mp4 i can never choose the "trackid" option (which you might call "import the track from MP4/3GP" instead of "isomedia", as most newbies will surely not know what this isomedia means)

Quote:
well..I thought it was better that people can choose these options by themself. But I can manage them by default for sure.
yeah, its always good to let people choose it themselves, its just that it might be better ticked by default

btw the option is called -packed not -packet!

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 5th May 2005, 20:21   #12  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
btw when loading a .mp4 i can never choose the "trackid" option (which you might call "import the track from MP4/3GP" instead of "isomedia", as most newbies will surely not know what this isomedia means)
Agreed...

It's a very good idea to simplify/standardise the proposed wording and phraseology!

Cheers
Old 6th May 2005, 10:12   #13  |  Link
bond

Kurtnoise13: another idea:
mp4box has two option for the output file:
1) create a new file (by adding -new before the output filename)
2) add the tracks to an existing file (by adding -out or no switch at all before the output filename)

would be nice if people can choose between these two too in yamb

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 6th May 2005, 10:46   #14  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
it supposes that newbies know the differences between MP4 and 3GP...
Old 6th May 2005, 10:50   #15  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:

mp4box has two option for the output file:
1) create a new file (by adding -new before the output filename)
2) add the tracks to an existing file (by adding -out or no switch at all before the output filename)
added.

But -new or none command for an output file is the same thing. Am I right ?
Old 6th May 2005, 10:53   #16  |  Link
bond

Quote:
it supposes that newbies know the differences between MP4 and 3GP...
no, newbies dont need to know it to realise its an option for mp4 files

Quote:
But -new or none command for an output file is the same thing. Am I right ?
no, specifying no switch will simply add the streams to an existing file afaik

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 6th May 2005, 12:14   #17  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

I don't know about some of you guys, but muxing streams with YAMB 1.1 appears to be a more "hit and miss affair" compared to YAMB 1.0. As quite often the muxes to not get generated

With regard to "importing" video and audio streams etc, I have a suggestion of my own. How about using the expression "Supported Files"..... And laying it out something like this: -

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 6th May 2005 at 17:13.
Old 6th May 2005, 12:35   #18  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

what do you mean by "hit & miss affair" ?

concerning your suggestion : you mix different formats. I prefer to have (and to see of course) the differences between raw and containers files when I select my input file.

btw, nobody have files with .divx or .xvid extension.
Old 6th May 2005, 12:48   #19  |  Link
bond

Quote:
concerning your suggestion : you mix different formats. I prefer to have (and to see of course) the differences between raw and containers files when I select my input file.
i would second SMD's request
to by default display all filetypes chooseable in the folder would be a nice thing, cause with having to use the dropdown list every time to see the file you want to import everytime is not perfect i think

Quote:
btw, nobody have files with .divx or .xvid extension.
.divx and .xvid extensions in this context means raw mpeg-4 part2 streams BUT noone uses these extensions for that anymore! so i wouldnt list them at all

Quote:
Originally posted by defunkt
Thanks for looking at that. But did you actually try adding a stream to an existing file? Not working here or I'm going mad. Don't mean to hijack the topic but it seems relevant to YAMB.
works fine here...
whats your exact cmdl that doesnt work?

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 6th May 2005, 13:32   #20  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
what do you mean by "hit & miss affair" ?
Okay here goes...

First I placed all the streams I wanted to mux into their own folder: -

Step 01 - I went onto select my Mpeg4 "video" stream (which in this case was within the .AVI container) : -

Step 02 - I went onto select my .AAC "audio" stream (but first I had to adjust the "File of Type:" drop down list ) : -

Step 03 - I went onto select my .txt "chapter" stream (no problems there ): -

Step 04 - But went I attempt to mux all the streams, my muxed file does not appear : -

Just to confirm. When I perform the exact same proceedure with YAMB 1.0, it works perfectly.

Cheers