Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th December 2008, 13:52   #3341  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_specter_x View Post
has anyone else had a problem with audio being out of sync?

I tried converting a movie with a DTS sound track and converted the audio to 640k and set a file limit to 8150MB. I left all the other settings alone. The problem is that the output file has audio out of sync. it is off by about 3 or 4 seconds. The audio is 3 or 4 seconds before the video. It is like that right from the beginning. This time i tried it by using the blu-ray source file from the stream directory and let ripbot process that file.

Could it be the settings on the computer I am using to play back the file? codecs or ffdshow settings? The computer that converted the video is too slow to play it back (bad video card). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I figure someone else must have had this problem at some time too.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Your computer can be very slow, but that would not cause out-of-sync issues when (re)encoding: it would just take a frakkin' while to complete.

As for audio ripping, I suggest you just use eac3to yourself to rip the audio first, and mux it back in later with tsMuxeR. Also, what does eac3to itself say about a delay in ms?
Old 6th December 2008, 18:48   #3342  |  Link
x_specter_x

asarian, Thanks. I will try that. Maybe I can use my encoded .mk4 file and demux it and convert the DTS audio to AC3 and remux it. Is that what you mean? I did try taking my mk4 file and demuxing the audio and video. Then used DaudioK to convert the DTS to ac3 5.1 and then nused tsMuxeR to mux them back together again. But when I tried to play the muxed file, it would not play. I will try with eac3to this time.

I am playing the video back on a dual core AMD 4600+, with SLI 8800 GT video cards and a sound blaster X-FI fatal1ty. So the speed of the playback PC is not an issue.
x_specter_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 21:50   #3343  |  Link
Alfeuss

Feature Request

Not sure how difficult it would be, but if possible add option to copy video stream?
Alfeuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 00:49   #3344  |  Link
x_specter_x

OK, I tried converting the audio from DTS to AC3 and then used that audio file and the demuxed video file with ripbot. Same thing happens. The audio is about 3 seconds ahead of the video when I play it back. depressing....
x_specter_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 02:22   #3345  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_specter_x View Post
OK, I tried converting the audio from DTS to AC3 and then used that audio file and the demuxed video file with ripbot. Same thing happens. The audio is about 3 seconds ahead of the video when I play it back. depressing....
At some point, I think you're probably better off discussing this in the eac3to thread, but okay...

First of all, I gotta wonder, if you play a m2ts file from the Blu-Ray STREAM directory directly, are matters still in sync? If so, you could use tsMuxeR to cut a small piece out of it (say the first minute or so), and share it on mediafire or something, so we can have a look at it.

A 4-5 seconds delay really is an eternity, audio-wise. Usually we're talking milliseconds, of course. On a very old tsMuxeR version sometimes I would get a ridiculous delay value, like -16000000ms or some such, but that sorta thing is ancient history. So, if you use a recent tsMuxeR (like 1.8.8), that sort of thing should no longer occur.
Old 7th December 2008, 02:33   #3346  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfeuss View Post
Not sure how difficult it would be, but if possible add option to copy video stream?
Not sure how difficult it would be, but could ya word your question in a less opaque fashion?

No, seriously, what you suggest doesn't make a lot of sense. RipBot reencodes; that's what x264 does. If you just want to 'copy' a video stream, then you're basically merely remuxing, and have no need for RipBot.
Old 7th December 2008, 02:36   #3347  |  Link
mouw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~bT~ View Post
~ 23500 to be safe
Backing up Blu-Ray movies w/RipBot almost 4mos now
Done about 50 so far== 34 BD9 / 16 BD-R

my Routine ==
1920x1080p 24fps/NO Subtitles/5.1 DTS/DD (COPY ORIGINAL XX) or Aften AC3 640kbs/2-PASS
Started out doing the math...
but RipBot interActive DropBoxes are so GOOD i now use them exclusively w/2-PASS

method:
Check LockSizeTotalBox--HighLite and Enter 8150 (BD9= 8.5g DL) or 24000 (BD-R= 25g)
UnCheck LockSizeTotalBox--HighLite KBPS Adj#s until TotalBox =~ 8150-8170 or 24050-24100
OverHead is averaging 3-3.5% = BD-R and 4% = BD9 (DVD+R DL)
mouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 03:39   #3348  |  Link
HouseCat

I used ripbot264 to rip a few blu-rays and it worked really well.

Only trouble is it took ages for 2-pass encoding. something like 20 hours, is that normal?
first pass was about 8.7fps and second pass was a slow 2.4fps!!

I used the stock settings 1080 no resize, ac3 5.1 audio.On the ps3profile level 4.0 setting. 8mb/s video rate setting
The only extra setting I used was auto crop.

Is there anyway I can speed up encoding time while keeping video quality in check?

I have a core 2 duo e6400@2.2 (I normally run it at 3.0 but the encoding was making the cpu too hot running at 100% all the time so had to use stock speed)
3gb ddr2 800 ram
vista
HouseCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 04:19   #3349  |  Link
illestdomer2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseCat View Post
I used ripbot264 to rip a few blu-rays and it worked really well.

Only trouble is it took ages for 2-pass encoding. something like 20 hours, is that normal?
first pass was about 8.7fps and second pass was a slow 2.4fps!!

I used the stock settings 1080 no resize, ac3 5.1 audio.On the ps3profile level 4.0 setting. 8mb/s video rate setting
The only extra setting I used was auto crop.

Is there anyway I can speed up encoding time while keeping video quality in check?

I have a core 2 duo e6400@2.2 (I normally run it at 3.0 but the encoding was making the cpu too hot running at 100% all the time so had to use stock speed)
3gb ddr2 800 ram
vista
Well, even though you don't have a slow computer, your hardware is not as powerful as mine, and it still takes a while for me. If you're like me, you went from using CloneDVD to back up your movies in less than an hour to trying to squeeze a BD onto a DVD-5 or DVD-9 and have had to scale your expectations (speed-wise) WAY back.

For example, if I am encoding a 2 hour BD to a DVD-9 in 1920 x ____, I will get, on average, about 24fps for the 1st Pass and about 8 fps on the 2nd pass. This is with a Q6700 (4 CPU x 2.66 GHz) on a 780i Mobo and 4 GB of 1066 RAM and a single WD 1TB Caviar Black HDD...running Vista. I usually have it running overnight and while I am at work (encoding 2 BDs), and both are done when I get home; so, let's say that ends up being about a 18-20 hour timeframe.

It takes a while for sure!
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 04:43   #3350  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post
Well, even though you don't have a slow computer, your hardware is not as powerful as mine, and it still takes a while for me. If you're like me, you went from using CloneDVD to back up your movies in less than an hour to trying to squeeze a BD onto a DVD-5 or DVD-9 and have had to scale your expectations (speed-wise) WAY back.

For example, if I am encoding a 2 hour BD to a DVD-9 in 1920 x ____, I will get, on average, about 24fps for the 1st Pass and about 8 fps on the 2nd pass. This is with a Q6700 (4 CPU x 2.66 GHz) on a 780i Mobo and 4 GB of 1066 RAM and a single WD 1TB Caviar Black HDD...running Vista. I usually have it running overnight and while I am at work (encoding 2 BDs), and both are done when I get home; so, let's say that ends up being about a 18-20 hour timeframe.

It takes a while for sure!
I went from DVDRebuilder, using the HC encoder at max, burning my quadcore Q6700 at 3.2Ghz for ~45mins for a full DVD9 -> DVD5 conversion, to ~20 hours for a very high x264 profile on a full-length 1080p movie (~2.25fps or less). Yep, these things take time.

Last edited by asarian; 7th December 2008 at 04:58. Reason: Typo
asarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 05:58   #3351  |  Link
HouseCat

^SO would quad core make much difference?
HouseCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 06:33   #3352  |  Link
Alfeuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarian View Post
Not sure how difficult it would be, but could ya word your question in a less opaque fashion?

No, seriously, what you suggest doesn't make a lot of sense. RipBot reencodes; that's what x264 does. If you just want to 'copy' a video stream, then you're basically merely remuxing, and have no need for RipBot.
It was just a possible request. I know what x264 is for, but sometimes all you need to do is convert the audio format keeping the org video. say MKV/DTS to MKV/AC3 for WDTV compatibility.

Last edited by Alfeuss; 7th December 2008 at 06:38.
Alfeuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 07:14   #3353  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Yes, about 2x. Seriously, rendering is one of those areas where you can really put your quadcore to good use. Expect rendering speed to double.
Old 7th December 2008, 08:49   #3354  |  Link
TEB

Deinterlacing

Hi. Is there a way inside the gui to check what dgindex found as field order before one does the deinterlacing choice ?
I manually checked a file in dgindex and chose upper field first as the deinterlace method.. but the quality really sucked on the progressive output.. Lots of jaggies..
Anyone got an idea how to improve this ?

best regards TE
TEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 09:22   #3355  |  Link
mouw

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarian View Post
Yes, about 2x. Seriously, rendering is one of those areas where you can really put your quadcore to good use. Expect rendering speed to double.
like asarian said....i went from a E6600 (duoCore) -> Q6600 (QuadCore) same SPEED cpu
CUT times in HALF
BluRay encodes BD9 = 8-10 hrs (2-Pass) BD-R = 15-20hrs
mouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 12:25   #3356  |  Link
Paddy97

I need help with profiles. Is there anyone with a good X264 knowledge that can help out I would be very greatfull.

I own both the Tvix 6500 (2 of them) and a Popcorn hour A100 that I use to play back my BD rips of my BD discs.

With Ripbot 1.10.8 I was able to create a profile that worked good with both the tvix and the popcorn.

Code:
[x264settings]
DeblockingStrength=0
DeblockingSensitivity=0
AdaptQuant=1
MotionEstimationAlgorithm=3 - UMH
SubpixelRefinement=6 - RD on I/P frames
I4X4=1
P4X4=0
P8X8=1
B8X8=1
AdaptDCT=1
I8X8=1
NumberOfRFrames=3
mixedRFrames=1
TrellisQuant=1
CABAC=1
NumberOfBFrames=3
AdaptBFrames=1
BPyramid=0
WeightBPrediction=1
HRD=1
BufferSize=24000
MaxBitrate=24000
Level=level 4.0
But with the new version 1.11.5 I am not able to create a profile that will not reboot my tvix. The default profile HD.Bluray.Consoles work on the popcorn but will reboot the tvix machine.

If I use MeGUI with the x264_dp_ PD-PS3-Xbox360 profile I get a good encode that works with the tvix but damn if I am capable of translating that profile to Ripbots. I have now done 8 encodes with different settings and they all reboot my tvix boxes. So any other tvix owner out here that has solved this problem or a x264 guru that can assist?

My latest try in Ripbot looks like this :

Code:
--level 4.0 --vbv-bufsize 20000 --vbv-maxrate 20000 --filter 0,0 --ref 3 
--bframes 3 --b-adapt 2 --weightb --direct auto --subme 6 --trellis 1 
--partitions p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,i8x8 --8x8dct --me hex --threads auto 
--thread-input --progress --no-psnr --no-ssim
And this is as far as I've gotten in my translation from the MeGUI profile to ripbot. Stil it reboots my tvix boxes. Very frustrating, but still I can allways use the older Ripbot version that works good.
Paddy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 16:48   #3357  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy97 View Post

My latest try in Ripbot looks like this :

And this is as far as I've gotten in my translation from the MeGUI profile to ripbot. Stil it reboots my tvix boxes. Very frustrating, but still I can allways use the older Ripbot version that works good.
I don't have a TviX, but I'd add these two (in bold) to the Profile, for the 'ol AVCHD compatibility:

Code:
--level 4.0 --vbv-bufsize 20000 --vbv-maxrate 20000 --filter 0,0 --ref 3 
--bframes 3 --b-adapt 2 --weightb --direct auto --subme 6 --trellis 1 
--partitions p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,i8x8 --8x8dct --me hex --threads auto 
--thread-input --progress --no-psnr --no-ssim --aud --nal-hrd
Old 7th December 2008, 16:57   #3358  |  Link
poisondeathray

"--aud --nal-hrd" are in the current profile that Paddy97 said didn't work, so I think the culprit may be "--partitions all" that is in the current ripbot profile that may impair compatibility with certain devices (p4x4), as that is missing from the MeGUI profiles for blu-ray and AVCHD
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 17:23   #3359  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
"--aud --nal-hrd" are in the current profile that Paddy97 said didn't work, so I think the culprit may be "--partitions all" that is in the current ripbot profile that may impair compatibility with certain devices (p4x4), as that is missing from the MeGUI profiles for blu-ray and AVCHD
Yes, I see now: "--aud --nal-hrd" are already in the default Profile. My bad.

But didn't he also put in "--partitions p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,i8x8", specifically excluding p4x4?

Also, I noticed that when I open RipBot's x264 settings menu, and immediately close it (without changing anything), that "job1_EncodeVideoPass1.cmd" retains my "me tesa" setting, which RipBot otherwise overrides to "me esa". So, doing the same open/close trick might cause Paddy97 to keep his "--partitions p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,i8x8" too (examining job1_EncodeVideoPass1.cmd afterwards would be a good idea).
Old 7th December 2008, 17:37   #3360  |  Link
poisondeathray

Yes the settings you posted above should work asarian, you used the modifed profile that Paddy97 gave (without p4x4) and added --aud --nal-hrd (and his modifed profile likely wouldn't work without those additions on some devices)

I was just commenting on the differences between the standard profiles and why they might / or might not work
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360