Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 10th January 2011, 04:05   #201  |  Link
sialivi

MKVcleaver hangs for me once in a while. It happens very rarely and it seem pretty random and I'm not able to reproduce the bug reliably.

The times it has happened I've been batch processing (extracting subtitles) a large amount of files (100+). Suddenly the program hangs just after finishing processing one file, it's always between files because the subtitle file of the last processed file is always complete and the subtitle file of the next file in the list is either missing or empty. The last line of the log file just shows that it has successfully finished with one file.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with a specific file because killing MKVcleaver with the Task Manager (pressing Cancel or Close doesn't work) and then letting MKVcleaver go through the remaining files works just fine.

Using: Windows 7 x64 / MKVcleaver 0.5.0.3 (64 bit) / mkvtoolnix 4.4.0

Last edited by sialivi; 10th January 2011 at 04:11.
sialivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 23:53   #202  |  Link
sheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Still crashes.
After testing MKVcleaver and avdump for a while on different OSes, I can say with certainty that avdump crashes because there is something wrong with the mkv file you provided. Once I remux the file, it never crashes again. I could not pinpoint exactly what in that file causes it to crash though.

Last edited by sheck; 16th January 2011 at 00:00.
sheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 23:59   #203  |  Link
sheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sialivi View Post
MKVcleaver hangs for me once in a while. It happens very rarely and it seem pretty random and I'm not able to reproduce the bug reliably.

The times it has happened I've been batch processing (extracting subtitles) a large amount of files (100+). Suddenly the program hangs just after finishing processing one file, it's always between files because the subtitle file of the last processed file is always complete and the subtitle file of the next file in the list is either missing or empty. The last line of the log file just shows that it has successfully finished with one file.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with a specific file because killing MKVcleaver with the Task Manager (pressing Cancel or Close doesn't work) and then letting MKVcleaver go through the remaining files works just fine.

Using: Windows 7 x64 / MKVcleaver 0.5.0.3 (64 bit) / mkvtoolnix 4.4.0
I will test to see if I can reproduce the problem.
Old 16th January 2011, 00:07   #204  |  Link
sheck

Sialivi,

Next time MKVcleaver hangs could you check in Task Manager if mkvextract.exe or avdump.exe or avc2avi.exe is still loaded in memory ?

Last edited by sheck; 16th January 2011 at 00:26.
Old 18th January 2011, 14:38   #205  |  Link
sialivi

I will, but I'm sure none of them was since I would have noticed when I killed the mkvcleaver process
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:49   #206  |  Link
sheck

Sialivi,

Can you remove 64 bit MKVCleaver and install 32 bit ? I'm experiencing crashes with 64 bit version on Windows 7 64 bit. However, 32 bit is working fine. Let me know the results.

Last edited by sheck; 3rd February 2011 at 17:54.
Old 11th March 2011, 05:34   #207  |  Link
sialivi

sheck,
I'll keep that in mind, haven't had a need to batch extract from large number of files for a while.

Small feature request:
Windows 7 taskbar progress bar (look here if you don't know what I'm talking about)
Old 13th March 2011, 06:58   #208  |  Link
war59312
war59312.com

UI resize is broke in x64 build. Seems the values in the ini are ignored. They get saved fine, but they are not respected.
war59312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:02   #209  |  Link
sheck

Sialivi,

I will add it if it's not too much work.

War59312,

Thank you for reporting a bug.
Old 22nd April 2011, 21:25   #210  |  Link
sheck

war59312,

Make sure that resizing is on: Settings -> UI Resize. I could not confirm it as a bug as resizing is working fine for me in XP and WIN7 32 and 64 bit.
Old 21st July 2011, 07:19   #211  |  Link
xekon

Great application, I use it daily.

I use this program all the time! Looking forward to the next released version

currently using 0.5.0.3, is there a beta or nightly build?
xekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 20:35   #212  |  Link
sheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekon View Post
I use this program all the time! Looking forward to the next released version

currently using 0.5.0.3, is there a beta or nightly build?
Hi Xekon,

No, there are no beta or nightly builds. The app is too small to have those. I'm currently working on the next version.

If you have requests, let me know.

Thanks.
Old 25th July 2011, 15:09   #213  |  Link
arestarh

Hello!
Thanks for this small, but very useful GUI.

I have some requests:
1) add the ability to extract chapters into OGM-like "simple" format ("-s" key in CLI mode)
2) add some error handling - for example, I have sample with LPCM audio that mkvtoolnix don't support, but when I try to extract it MKVcleaver finish job without any message.
Thanks.
arestarh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 20:26   #214  |  Link
xekon

How about a GTK interface so that this could be a native linux app as well? kinda like pidgin can run under both windows and linux.

mkvtoolnix is in linux as well

If linux version is not planned but you wouldn't mind somebody else porting it to linux then please let me know. I would be happy to give it a go. (Not sure if this application is opensource or not, either way let me know.)
Old 29th July 2011, 15:18   #215  |  Link
sheck

arestarh,

1) No problem.
2) I will have to check this. If mkvtoolnix gives an error, MKVcleaver should catch it and log it (that's what it does already, check the log file to see if there is anything there). There is no point in displaying an error since it's a batch extractor. Imagine you have hundreds of files to extract and it would take 5 hours, so you leave it running only to come back in 5 hours and find out that MKVcleaver is sitting there displaying an error and it barely extracted anything. I would be pissed.

xekon,

I'm not planning on developing a linux version. But I don't mind if somebody else ports it. MKVCleaver is open source, feel free to do it. I can host it if you don't have your own web page or web storage or link to your project page if you do.
Old 29th July 2011, 22:31   #216  |  Link
xekon

found it: http://code.google.com/p/mkvcleaver/...kout?repo=wiki

I will start working on it soon.

Last edited by xekon; 31st July 2011 at 03:30.
Old 1st October 2011, 21:12   #217  |  Link
speaker

If you decide to update this great app further could you have it remember the location of MKVToolNix as well as the extract folder rather than having to set these two every time? Thanks.
speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 02:26   #218  |  Link
sheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaker View Post
If you decide to update this great app further could you have it remember the location of MKVToolNix as well as the extract folder rather than having to set these two every time? Thanks.
MKVcleaver remembers location of MkvToolNix. If you're running WIN 7 with UAC enabled and MKVcleaver is installed in a protected directory, like Program Files, you must right click and select Run As Administrator. To avoid running it as administrator, please install MKVcleaver in another directory, root of C drive, My Documents or somewhere else.

The extract folder location will be remembered in the new version.
Old 4th October 2011, 15:02   #219  |  Link
arestarh

Hello!

About my suggestion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arestarh View Post
2) add some error handling - for example, I have sample with LPCM audio that mkvtoolnix don't support, but when I try to extract it MKVcleaver finish job without any message.
Thanks.
and you answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheck View Post
2) I will have to check this. If mkvtoolnix gives an error, MKVcleaver should catch it and log it (that's what it does already, check the log file to see if there is anything there). There is no point in displaying an error since it's a batch extractor. Imagine you have hundreds of files to extract and it would take 5 hours, so you leave it running only to come back in 5 hours and find out that MKVcleaver is sitting there displaying an error and it barely extracted anything. I would be pissed.
As example we can use this .mkv sample:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dgd92wil67bg8nq
It includes (as mkvmerge reported):
Quote:
File 'i:\Downloads\samples\CRANK (1)-001.mkv': container: Matroska
Track ID 1: video (V_MPEG2)
Track ID 2: audio (A_MS/ACM)
Track ID 3: subtitles (S_HDMV/PGS)
Chapters: 1 entries
And when I try to extract Track with ID 2 (besides mkvextract don't support such kind of tracks) I get this error message:
Quote:
Error: Extraction of track number 2 with the CodecID 'A_MS/ACM' is not supported
But after extraction with MKVclever I don't see such error report in log and no one extracted track.

Thanks.
arestarh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 02:44   #220  |  Link
sheck

Arestarh,

I confirmed this problem. Thank you. I will fix it in the next version.

Tags
batch extract, extractor, matroska, mkv, mkv batch, mkv decoder, mkvextract