Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th September 2005, 20:59   #1  |  Link
mg262
Clouded

Backing up small files only

I'm trying to backup all my video work -- much of it AVISynth but also projects in DVD authoring programs, etc. It's getting to be a bit of a nightmare because I have way too many files -- circa 250 AVISynth scripts alone. I can't back everything up because there are a lot of semi-large files, often (but not always) video files generated from scripts. This is all split across a number of directories.

My question is this: is there an easy way to back up the small files only, preserving the directory structure? More specifically, can anyone think of the way in which I can select files from smallest upwards to fit e.g. exactly 700 MB? (Even better would be to forced inclusion of certain relatively large file types, such as Excel worksheets... but this is perhaps getting unrealistic.)

Thanks!
M.
mg262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2005, 23:45   #2  |  Link
Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg262
My question is this: is there an easy way to back up the small files only, preserving the directory structure? More specifically, can anyone think of the way in which I can select files from smallest upwards to fit e.g. exactly 700 MB? (Even better would be to forced inclusion of certain relatively large file types, such as Excel worksheets... but this is perhaps getting unrealistic.)
Have you thought about using Windows' Search function to create one listing of all the files in these directories. Then sort by file-size. Then select files to compress with something like winrar (doesn't that preserve file structure by default?).
Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2005, 00:50   #3  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

Quote:
can anyone think of the way in which I can select files from smallest upwards to fit e.g. exactly 700 MB?
I presume you mean to back up to CDs (700Mb). If so, simply use NERO Burning ROM, set to Data CD ("CD-ROM (ISO)") and "drag and drop" the required combination of files from their respective directories in the rightside window into the leftside window until the bar at the bottom reaches 700Mb...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2005, 01:39   #4  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

the windowback up tool actualy works well o_o
intersting because it comes from M$ and its already built into winblows
Shinigami-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 17:09   #5  |  Link
mg262
Clouded

@Doobie,

Thank you... it's a clever idea. Unfortunately, when I try selecting that many files, explorer.exe crashes... it has happened twice now but I will try and find workaround, because the method seems worth pursuing.

@setarip_old,

There is rather too much data to manage it like that unless there really is no alternative...

@Shinigami-Sama,

There doesn't seem to be any way to filter files by size?
Old 27th September 2005, 23:56   #6  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama

dono, only used it like ten times, never hada filter by size
try google? :P
Old 28th September 2005, 18:51   #7  |  Link
movax

I just use WinRAR to store everything on a different physical HDD as a backup. Works excellently. (Add a recovery record/md5 to it if you want too).
movax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2005, 00:43   #8  |  Link
mg262
Clouded

Shinigami-Sama, unfortunately the search terms are too common -- they bring up all sorts of unrelated material.

movax, when I selected that many files, explorer.exe crashed before I could drag them into WinRAR.
Old 29th September 2005, 00:45   #9  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama

try selecting less files to add at a time then?
I;ve never had troubles adding 600files to a rar, even in win98, strange
Old 29th September 2005, 04:48   #10  |  Link
deuce2
Something...

I hope this isn't too obvious but, how about creating the directory using the DOS command. You can create a text file of your directory sorted by size. For example (in the DOS command mode) type: dir/os >directory.txt

This will list all of your files in the directory that you type this command with the smallest file listed first.