Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 31st July 2013, 19:59   #1  |  Link
chocos

How to ingest DPX for bluray encoding

I'm about to work on my first commercially replicated blu-ray and the post-production supervisor of the feature said he'll bring over the 2k DPX and I can use that to encode the blu-ray.

Previously he said, he'll give me a TGA sequence frames of the entire feature, and today he called me to say, he'll be giving me a DPX. I'm not worried about the audio, because he's giving me 8 individual wav files for the surround mix.

My previous blu-ray authoring projects have been burn only and were encoded from Prores/DNXHD.

Would any you have any workflow suggestions for me? How do I ingest the DPX to get a video stream out of it? Thank you!
chocos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 09:19   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

See if the authoring suite you're using (that that accepts ProRes) can accept DPX (SMPTE 268M) too.
Old 1st August 2013, 14:50   #3  |  Link
chocos

I'll be using DoStudio Indie for disc authoring and x264 or MainConcept encoder for the encode.

Do you know if DaVinci Resolve/Sony Vegas pro/Adobe Premiere/After effects can take a DPX?

If they can, it'll make my life easier to open it in one of those and export an uncompressed video file for the encoder.
Old 7th August 2013, 01:47   #4  |  Link
Lyris

Davinci Resolve can read DPX sequences, yes. You can output a variety of formats from it, including an 8-bit TIFF image sequence, which you can then input to x264 with an AVISynth script (ImageSequence plugin). That'll be slow though. Resolve can also output uncompressed QuickTime movies which could be read with QTInput.

I don't think ImageSequence can read DPX natively, hence my suggestion of the conversion step.

All of the applications you mentioned can read DPX and output in other formats.

Last edited by Lyris; 7th August 2013 at 01:50.
Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 16:01   #5  |  Link
chocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyris View Post
Davinci Resolve can read DPX sequences, yes. You can output a variety of formats from it, including an 8-bit TIFF image sequence, which you can then input to x264 with an AVISynth script (ImageSequence plugin). That'll be slow though. Resolve can also output uncompressed QuickTime movies which could be read with QTInput.

I don't think ImageSequence can read DPX natively, hence my suggestion of the conversion step.

All of the applications you mentioned can read DPX and output in other formats.
Thank you very much, I'll try going this route and see how it goes.
Old 24th August 2013, 21:13   #6  |  Link
Lyris

Let us know how you get on.

One reason I like Resolve (other than the fact that there's a free version!) is that it has built-in software scopes. If your master has colo(u)r bars at the start, you can see if they check out on these. Given what it's used for, Resolve is a safe bet for avoiding any weird colour or gamma issues.
Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 18:07   #7  |  Link
chocos

Hi Lyris,

I forgot my encoding machine was AMD based, which is why Resolve 9 won't start. I might have to wait for Resolve 10 since that is expected to be OpenCL compatible. Right now I'm still doing test encodes, so I can hope for Resolve 10 to come out before it's time for the final encode. I have a 100% sRGB monitor calibrated and ready waiting for it.

So, my current workflow was to bring the DPX sequence into PremierePro CC - transcode to uncompressed AVI or DNXHD - Feed it to the encoder.

x264 was a bigger challenge than I imagined, even with the GUI. So, temporarily I fed it to Sony DoStudio Encoder.

I also exported a 'h.264 bluray' m4v out of Premiere with custom settings for comparison purposes and there is a significant difference between premiere export and DoStudio encode.

Tags
blu-ray, dpx, encode, encoding, workflow